BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Race Precision Motorsport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Dodge2Dub
Captain
 
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 910
iTrader: (6)

Layover in Germany, help!

In late January, I will have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt. I was hoping to rent a car and drive out to Nurburgring. Have any of you done something similar and, if so, who did you rent the car from at the airport? Also, do you know if anybody offers M3's or Audi S4's for rent without restrictions on using them on the Nurburgring toll road?

The Nurburgring Web site is a bit cumbersome. Is there another Web site that can be used to determine if the Nurburgring toll road will be open to the public on the day of my travel?

Last, what route did you use...A3 to A48 to A61 or A3 to A48 to B257 or A60 to A61 to B412?

TIA!
__________________
E90 M3: Some cool stuff...more to come
Ducati 1199 Panigale: Bucket full of mods
Dodge2Dub is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
karussell
Major
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA

Posts: 1,199
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
In late January, I will have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt. I was hoping to rent a car and drive out to Nurburgring. Have any of you done something similar and, if so, who did you rent the car from at the airport? Also, do you know if anybody offers M3's or Audi S4's for rent without restrictions on using them on the Nurburgring toll road?

The Nurburgring Web site is a bit cumbersome. Is there another Web site that can be used to determine if the Nurburgring toll road will be open to the public on the day of my travel?

Last, what route did you use...A3 to A48 to A61 or A3 to A48 to B257 or A60 to A61 to B412?

TIA!
I highly doubt it will be open. it closed on monday when the first snow fell. They do not plow the snow off the ring. its reopened when the snow melts usually in march or april.

Still I guess we could have a freak warm spell. In which case PM me and I'll probably be going at the same time.

As for websites, only the german version shows scheduled opening times for touristenfahrten. (tourist driving)

http://www.nuerburgring.de/de/angebo...dschleife.html

Another great site has the webcam on it. If you see white stuff on the webcam its guaranteed closed.

http://ringfan.de/

If it were open the day you will be here it would be possible to make it to the ring. Its about 1.5 hour drive to and from the track. If its a weekday should not be much traffic.

Rental is not so easy. rental companies specifically exclude the nurburgring in the rental clause. on public days photographers take photos of rental fleet on the track and get paid well for spying. its very easy to identify the rental vehicles. to answer your question, SixT rents E92 M3's but DSC cannot be taken off and they also specifically exclude the track. I advise renting from RSR Nurburg. You will get a safe car ready for the track with full insurance coverage. It will cost more though. For half-day an M3 rental is €1200. I suggest getting a much cheaper Renault Clio Cup. Its just as fun especially since you won't know where you are.

I like your thinking though. If I was in your situation I would do this exact thing if it was in any season except winter.

jim
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
karussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pmeloche's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal, Canada

Posts: 1,614
iTrader: (0)

We used to rent at Avis in the '80s Porsche 911 for 300DM per hour. Our per diem down the drain for an hour or two of sheer pleasure.
__________________

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
pmeloche is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
vividracing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
vividracing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona

Posts: 3,513
iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to vividracing
I had a chuckle reading this

Not trying to sound mean, the same idea would occur to me too, but I did reckon that the rental companies would be somewhat against this. Mind, having said that, I didn't think that they would go to the lengths of encouraging photographers to shop anyone driving a rental car around the 'Ring

Hope you find a fun way of killing the layover time in Germany, even if it's just a blast down the Autobahn.

Graeme
vividracing is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It is a 5 hour round trip. Add your time at the airport, in my opinion you don't have enough time my Friend. Better planning is called for. My 2 cents.

PS. A BMW 5er Gran Turismo *NAVI* / Luxury class would run you about 85- Euro for 8 hours, nice toy to have a go along the Autobahn. The airport car rental company SIXT always have them. I do recommend you reserve them. A Porsche you can rent downtown.
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-30-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
 
JulieDriving's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,308
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
I highly doubt it will be open. it closed on monday when the first snow fell. They do not plow the snow off the ring. its reopened when the snow melts usually in march or april.

Still I guess we could have a freak warm spell. In which case PM me and I'll probably be going at the same time.

As for websites, only the german version shows scheduled opening times for touristenfahrten. (tourist driving)

http://www.nuerburgring.de/de/angebo...dschleife.html

Another great site has the webcam on it. If you see white stuff on the webcam its guaranteed closed.

http://ringfan.de/

If it were open the day you will be here it would be possible to make it to the ring. Its about 1.5 hour drive to and from the track. If its a weekday should not be much traffic.

Rental is not so easy. rental companies specifically exclude the nurburgring in the rental clause. on public days photographers take photos of rental fleet on the track and get paid well for spying. its very easy to identify the rental vehicles. to answer your question, SixT rents E92 M3's but DSC cannot be taken off and they also specifically exclude the track. I advise renting from RSR Nurburg. You will get a safe car ready for the track with full insurance coverage. It will cost more though. For half-day an M3 rental is €1200. I suggest getting a much cheaper Renault Clio Cup. Its just as fun especially since you won't know where you are.

I like your thinking though. If I was in your situation I would do this exact thing if it was in any season except winter.

jim
Thanks for taking the time to post this info. Saving it later for when I go to Germany...
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
JulieDriving is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
immiketoo
Colonel
 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

http://www.rent-racecar.de/

This^^^
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
immiketoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
We used to rent at Avis in the '80s Porsche 911 for 300DM per hour. Our per diem down the drain for an hour or two of sheer pleasure.
Sounds more expensive then Las Vegas
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I think you just made his day

so he can rent his car at the airport, then rent a M3 at the ring, I bet a dollar to a donut he will miss his plane nothing wrong with that he will have so much fun

Did we tell him about the fee to get onto the ring? let me see I think a A 15-lap package can be had for $415 (€310), 25 laps will cost you $629 (€470)

more information here CLICK

I plan to do it when I take ED of my next car it will be a M3 and I will take a few days at the ring, what memories that will make
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
masamune
Member
 
Drives: 2009 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

I think it is extremely risky to do this. Google Maps does say it takes about 2 hours, one way, to get there. So 4 hours is eaten up driving there. Then you need to allot time at the track. You don't mention where you are coming from, but assuming that it is a layover there it sounds like it would be another country. So, you would also need to go through immigration leaving the airport and then also going back into the airport. Not to mention dealing with getting the rental car and returning it with full gas. And then of course, passing through security again at the airport. Boarding time is typically 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time for international flights. It is just too much in my opinion and too many variables involved that would potentially delay you and not worth missing a transatlantic flight. And this is assuming your flight in is not delayed.
masamune is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
 
attbimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 991S, '88 E30 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: socal

Posts: 248
iTrader: (5)

I wouldn't recommend trying to make it to/from the ring in your short time window even if the ring is open. What you can do is rent a new 911 from Avis for ~199 euro for the day and spend a couple hours on the autobahn near the airport. You can pick up the car at the airport. I spent 10 days in Germany last Summer in a rental Porsche from Avis. You'll have a lot of fun as long as the weather is ok. Weekends would be ideal, because traffic is lighter and trucks aren't aloud on the roads saturday afternoon/sunday.
__________________
attbimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
karussell
Major
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA

Posts: 1,199
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I think you just made his day

so he can rent his car at the airport, then rent a M3 at the ring, I bet a dollar to a donut he will miss his plane nothing wrong with that he will have so much fun

Did we tell him about the fee to get onto the ring? let me see I think a A 15-lap package can be had for $415 (€310), 25 laps will cost you $629 (€470)

more information here CLICK

I plan to do it when I take ED of my next car it will be a M3 and I will take a few days at the ring, what memories that will make
Well lets say the stars aligned and he was able to make it out to the nordschleife and it happened to be open and empty, i think he would be best off doing a single lap. maybe 2. also, I highly recommend sitting with an experienced driver for a lap and having them ride with you before going at it alone especially if you have no experience on a race track. (coaching is forbidden on public lapping btw). Best to have all of that worked out beforehand. The nordschleife is mecca to gear heads and I think its worthy of the pilgrimage but you have to respect it or it will bite back. We don't need any more 7-second ring kings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Qxic6qj3E
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
karussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
karussell
Major
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA

Posts: 1,199
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attbimmer View Post
I wouldn't recommend trying to make it to/from the ring in your short time window even if the ring is open. What you can do is rent a new 911 from Avis for ~199 euro for the day and spend a couple hours on the autobahn near the airport. You can pick up the car at the airport. I spent 10 days in Germany last Summer in a rental Porsche from Avis. You'll have a lot of fun as long as the weather is ok. Weekends would be ideal, because traffic is lighter and trucks aren't aloud on the roads saturday afternoon/sunday.
this is better idea although its limited to 250km per day and you have to reserve with Avis.de directly or you may end up with an "equivalent class" vehicle which includes an S class Benz. If you rent directly from an airport location there are additional fees tacked on. You could save quite a bit by picking up at a different location, but then there is a matter of getting to it.

It is supposed to be a brutal winter here this year and already that is proving to be a true sentiment. Probably safest thing to do is stay in the airport. Frankfurt is the most congested airport in germany and frequently has delays due to security.

Come back out in late spring or summer when you can do the ring visit correctly. spend a week or two there. do either a private track day with a coach or with a school. BMW Club has an excellent and safe 3-day school at the ring every August as an example.
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
karussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
donovan
Brigadier General
 
donovan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: le' Murica

Posts: 3,484
iTrader: (12)

What ever Karusell says, believe it and go by it. Good friend and teacher!
__________________


e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 04:36 AM   #15
osteome
Major
 
osteome's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 SSII/Bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 1,095
iTrader: (4)

My wife is waiting for me to head back on R&R to shovel all the snow that dumped...what a winter already!

I would throw in my two cents that the timing for the trip is ambitious and may be all for naught depending on the weather conditions. Thank goodness I am home in June!
__________________
2009 M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo: 6MT, Tech, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound, Ipod, 19'' Wheels, OEM Exhaust Mod.
osteome is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
Dodge2Dub
Captain
 
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 910
iTrader: (6)

Thanks everyone!

So, based upon the responses, my best bet will be to take a blast on the autobahn with a 5 GT if we spend too much money in Southern Africa or a Porsche if our travel budget hasn't been busted!

It looks like I'll be saving the Nurburgring run until the summer or if/when we take ED on an X5.
__________________
E90 M3: Some cool stuff...more to come
Ducati 1199 Panigale: Bucket full of mods
Dodge2Dub is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
JCE
Banned
 
Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I think you just made his day

so he can rent his car at the airport, then rent a M3 at the ring, I bet a dollar to a donut he will miss his plane nothing wrong with that he will have so much fun

Did we tell him about the fee to get onto the ring? let me see I think a A 15-lap package can be had for $415 (€310), 25 laps will cost you $629 (€470)

more information here CLICK

I plan to do it when I take ED of my next car it will be a M3 and I will take a few days at the ring, what memories that will make
I would like to do the same thing.....probably gonna do ED after the new M3's come out maybe in a 2014. Everybody whining about losing the V8....there will be a 2010 SG sedan for sale in Houston in late 2013 for nastalgia buffs lol.

How do we deal with the 1200 mile break in period not being met? Ride around Europe for 1200 then hit the track? What about the service that is supposed to be done at 1200 miles?

I know the warranty vs the break-in period has been discussed on the forum but I am curious about what you guys think about this. Thanks.
JCE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
karussell
Major
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA

Posts: 1,199
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
I would like to do the same thing.....probably gonna do ED after the new M3's come out maybe in a 2014. Everybody whining about losing the V8....there will be a 2010 SG sedan for sale in Houston in late 2013 for nastalgia buffs lol.

How do we deal with the 1200 mile break in period not being met? Ride around Europe for 1200 then hit the track? What about the service that is supposed to be done at 1200 miles?

I know the warranty vs the break-in period has been discussed on the forum but I am curious about what you guys think about this. Thanks.
break-in period and following it versus a different method is highly subjective. do what you feel is appropriate for the 1200 miles. you can have the service done at any bmw dealership in europe. probably pick a place based on your planned itinerary and schedule it beforehand. i'm not sure, but I think you have to pay for your service if you have it done here. oil is €30/Liter so be prepared for the bill.
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
karussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #19
karussell
Major
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA

Posts: 1,199
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
Thanks everyone!

So, based upon the responses, my best bet will be to take a blast on the autobahn with a 5 GT if we spend too much money in Southern Africa or a Porsche if our travel budget hasn't been busted!

It looks like I'll be saving the Nurburgring run until the summer or if/when we take ED on an X5.
X5's are built in Spartanburg, SC. no ED on them.
__________________
"It gave you amazing satisfaction, but anyone who says he loved it is either a liar or he wasn't going fast enough." - Jackie Stewart on racing at the Nurburgring
karussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #20
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 300km to the Nordschleife

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
So, based upon the responses, my best bet will be to take a blast on the autobahn with a 5 GT if we spend too much money in Southern Africa or a Porsche if our travel budget hasn't been busted!
I live an hours drive from the Frankfurt airport, so I know the area. To your idea: depends on two factors: time of day and weather. If it's raining or snowing, just stay at the airport and watch her shop. If you are there any time between 6:00 in the morning and 10:00 at night, you may as well forget the idea immediately. Leaving Frankfurt you have to drive south if you want long unlimited stretches of Autobahn and driving south during the hours I have quoted has a chance of 90+% that you'll end up standing around in traffic jams. Going east, the Autobahn is two lane only, I wouldn't advise someone not used to them trying to drive fast there. Go north or west and you'll have speed limits most of the way. The "drive to the ring and back in eight hours" idea will not work and especially not at that time of the year.
__________________
The best piece of road - worldwide.
EmmDrei is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #21
auggiem3
Captain
 
auggiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 / former e46 M3 owner
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 634
iTrader: (1)

I just went through a similar decision and I'm glad I took the timing risk.

I had a 9 hour layover in Munich with which I intended to visit the BMW Welt and Tour the Museum. For once, the airline proactively put me on a more convenient flight without me requesting a change. My layover was reduced to 5 hours.

I landed at 8:30am and, after clearing customs, took the train out of the airport at 9am. This put me at the Welt just before 10:30 - perfect timing to tour the museum for about an hour. Then 30 minutes in the Welt (of which 15 minutes were spent in the shop).

I approached the concierge at noon and told him I needed to catch a flight at 1:30 that will board at 1:00 - he had a cab there in literally less than 3 minutes. The cab driver clipped 190 kph a few times on the ride to the airport (in unrestricted zones on a saturday morning) earning himself a 15 euro tip over the 45 euro fair.

I entered the airport at 12:30 and was through security, near my gate at 12:45 leaving 15 minutes of pure relaxation - I marked the occasion with a weis bier (or two).

Although I was worried about timing and disappointed that my visit to the welt/museum was cut short, I am glad I made the visit as it could be years before I get the chance again.

On a side note, the impetus behind my flight originated from travel from the Abu Dhabi grand prix. I sported a Vettel shirt and it was well received throughout my short stint in his home country. The folks are up on their racing!

I hope this story compels you to take some risk around getting to the ring, albeit a calculated risk with some time cushion. I did that trip a few years ago to ride with Sabine in the ring taxi but it was totally planned with no time constraints....i'll never forget it.
auggiem3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #22
Tio///M
///M South Lead
 
Tio///M's Avatar
 
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Miami Serving all of SoFLA

Posts: 863
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
Yeah don't get stuck in a STAU!!! It'll piss you off and if you have a traveling companion it'll piss them off too...so = bad experience.

I would just go downtown Frankfurt and go see the Christmas Markt if its early January, I think....it should be open til the 2nd. You might want to look that up.
__________________
///AA ///Challenge ///MS ///EAS ///OEM ///H&R ///

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Tio///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST