BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
CarbonAlpine
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

I did it, I am happy with it. However I really thought it would be more impressive. Don't get me wrong, it is fast...but I had an e46 m3 and it really doesnt feel that much faster..

11-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
ksoze
Captain

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

If you are concerned with lease terms getting worse in Decembers, fill out a BMWFS credit doc now and get approved on a prospective car from the dealer. Don't worry about actual selling price of car, but get the rates looked in on a starting price. Then you are locked into those rates or better if things change over next 60 or 90 days. If they get better, you get the better rates if before actual car delivery.
ksoze is offline   United_States
      11-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
I strongly recommend you take the round trip to drive, touch and smell the car . If you don't you will for ever regret it.

I once owned a 2002 M3 (sold it this past spring). I will once again get an M3 once I get this Z4 out off my system If I do I will test drive it here make sure I get all I want then sleep on it before ordering it. I know one thing I will take delivery in München at Die Welt and ,make it a nice European Holiday before returning home and waiting for delivery

Good luck with your eventual purchase

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      11-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAlpine View Post
I did it, I am happy with it. However I really thought it would be more impressive. Don't get me wrong, it is fast...but I had an e46 m3 and it really doesnt feel that much faster..

Based on what you said here I think you should stick with your Z for now, you know it is fast I personally think as fast as the e46 m3 as you said the Z is a sweet car we do agree on that.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      11-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #27
Bob86GN
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan - ESS VT2-600

That is what I did. No M3s at any local dealers, ordered the car sight unseen.
Never a complaint. The only real decision would be 6MT versus DCT.
1986 Buick Grand National (10.8 @ 122mph)
1987 Buick Grand National (stock...for now)
      11-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #28
walsh
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2015 F82 M4

I test drove before I bought... but if there wasn't one to test drive, I still would've bought it.
      12-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #29
dexx
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP

I didn't test drive before I bought easier to negotiate too that way.
      12-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #30
llis
octane chick

Drives: Ms

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
I understand your quandary. I could not decide between E92 and E93 for the longest time! I LOVE the Z4 roadster experience, and really wanted to marry that with the M3 power and suspension. But would it feel right? I did test drive a 335 convertible, and it was quieter and less blowy than I had expected, but its suspension was way way worse than the 335 sedan (which I had for 3 years). 450 pounds is a lot of weight to toss over the rear axle.

So I did not go for the E93 M3. I have yet to experience it as passenger, let alone driver, so I could not say I made a mistake not going for it.

But the E92 is an amazing car. Amazing. On the highway. On the windy roads. When racing around rural lands. When cruising in traffic.

I guess this comment is no help. Sorry!

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
      12-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #31
sor
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I understand your quandary. I could not decide between E92 and E93 for the longest time! I LOVE the Z4 roadster experience, and really wanted to marry that with the M3 power and suspension. But would it feel right? I did test drive a 335 convertible, and it was quieter and less blowy than I had expected, but its suspension was way way worse than the 335 sedan (which I had for 3 years). 450 pounds is a lot of weight to toss over the rear axle.

So I did not go for the E93 M3. I have yet to experience it as passenger, let alone driver, so I could not say I made a mistake not going for it.

But the E92 is an amazing car. Amazing. On the highway. On the windy roads. When racing around rural lands. When cruising in traffic.

For what it's worth, my e93's suspension and handling blows my 335 sedan's out of the water. I'm sure there's a difference from the E92, but it didn't feel measurably different from the coupe I test drove. Granted, I didn't drive them back to back.
      12-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #32
boarderman23
Private

Drives: 2011 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post

I do appreciate the input...I would have liked to driven both, but unfortunately I didn't have that option without traveling. I really wanted the convertible and I haven't ever tracked a car, and from what I've read you hardly notice a performance difference unless you're at a track. Also, getting a better deal on the convertible is a another plus (in fact if there wasn't a good lease deal going on I probably wouldn't be getting one)
      12-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #33
jdgamble
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & a badass Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
If you are aware how different driving M3 is compared to your current cars and you're ok with that, then go for it blindfolded. As you may know, E93 will feel less tourqy at lower RPMs even compared to your G37. It takes at least 4000rpm to unleash the beast inside. Notice the use of the word "feel" cause by numbers it isn't but a new M3 will feel so steady that an 85mph in it would feel like a 45 in another car. Other than that, it will blow your mind.
Less torque than a G37 now? Have you driven a G37? That car is torque-less! I think someone is going to compare the M3 torque to the 328 next (with the additional 10 hp). It's getting silly.

To OP - I wouldn't buy a $75K car without driving it, but then again, I wasn't that impressed with the M3 on the test drive (didn't max it out). It took a little driving to really start to appreciate it. And there are only a few people on this board that sound dissatisfied with their car, so odds are you will love it.

12-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #34
boarderman23
Private

Drives: 2011 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Less torque than a G37 now? Have you driven a G37? That car is torque-less! I think someone is going to compare the M3 torque to the 328 next (with the additional 10 hp). It's getting silly.

To OP - I wouldn't buy a $75K car without driving it, but then again, I wasn't that impressed with the M3 on the test drive (didn't max it out). It took a little driving to really start to appreciate it. And there are only a few people on this board that sound dissatisfied with their car, so odds are you will love it.
I actually test drove a 2008 a couple days ago (6 Speed - Getting M-DCT though) and really like it. I didn't give it a performance run, but did step on it a few times (it was quite wet). I know it can perform, so I wasn't really out to see what it could do. It was comfortable and seemed fine on torque, especially since I wasn't expecting too much from reading here.

And yea, the G37 doesn't have a lot of low end torque...power is just fine once you get over 3k RMP's, but certainly lacks down low. Would certainly be better if they put the N54 engine in there, but I don't think that'll ever happen
      12-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #35
Timothy J
Captain

Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Dude! Where are you located! Lol
Timothy J is offline   United_States
      12-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #36
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Get it, no question, one of the most amazing cars I've ever owned.

Unless you live in Southern California, I wouldn't even consider the E93. Get the E92, E90 second choice.

Vert is not agile, fast (nor as good looking with the top up) as the E90/E92, simple math proves that point (i.e. 500lb roof).

All great cars at the end of the day.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
      12-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #37
sor
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Get it, no question, one of the most amazing cars I've ever owned.

Unless you live in Southern California, I wouldn't even consider the E93. Get the E92, E90 second choice.

Vert is not agile, fast (nor as good looking with the top up) as the E90/E92, simple math proves that point (i.e. 500lb roof).

All great cars at the end of the day.
minor nitpick, not a 500lb roof, a 150lb roof with 250 lb chassis reimforcement. Still very fast, very agile. Deceivingly so. Also dont forget that its better looking than e92, top down or up I have a feeling we could debate that all day, but to me it just looks more sleek, streamlined.

Dont need to be in Cali at all. I would think it the opposite, in cali everyone has nice, fast cars and you'll want every ounce of performance just to keep up. Elsewhere nice cars are novelties, even a "slow" 'vert will turn heads and leave most behind. Drove around town today with the top down, 37 degrees outside and perfectly pleasant. Warm sun, heat from the car, minimal wind,great engine sounds... Just dont get on the freeway!

Last edited by sor; 12-03-2010 at 01:38 AM.
      12-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #38
Psylight
Brigadier General

Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT Scene

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Psylight
Get it. The M is godlike.

The Ultimate Driving Scene
Psylight is offline   Mexico
      12-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #39
sameh
Major

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Quote:
If you are aware how different driving M3 is compared to your current cars and you're ok with that, then go for it blindfolded. As you may know, E93 will feel less tourqy at lower RPMs even compared to your G37. It takes at least 4000rpm to unleash the beast inside. Notice the use of the word "feel" cause by numbers it isn't but a new M3 will feel so steady that an 85mph in it would feel like a 45 in another car. Other than that, it will blow your mind.

Man, if you read 2 lines later, I say NOTICE THE WORD "FEEL". I had a G35 and yes it FELT more tourqy from 500-1500 rpm. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say so. So take it easy champ
      12-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #40
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

No need to test drive M3, it will not disappoint you... and even if you test drove one prior to break in, you would not have the feel of the real deal (unless you test drove CPO)... M3 is unleashed fully after break in,- tires become smoother, engine is more aggressive and everything else just comes together...

I've gotten BMW without test driving first in past, and always was pleasantly surprized
      12-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #41
BKMK5
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
No need to test drive M3, it will not disappoint you... and even if you test drove one prior to break in, you would not have the feel of the real deal (unless you test drove CPO)... M3 is unleashed fully after break in,- tires become smoother, engine is more aggressive and everything else just comes together...

I've gotten BMW without test driving first in past, and always was pleasantly surprized
Well atleast the OP test drove the car, but I 100% agree about being able to test drive an M3 thats 1) warmed up and 2) broken in.

Before purchasing mine(still waiting for it too ) I test drove 2 E92 M3's at different dealerships. The first dealership is where I bought my first BMW and thought they'd really love to earn my business back. Well 1) the words "European Delivery" automatically seemed to piss them off and 2) when asked for a test drive they gave me the run around about the cars being on loan from another dealership.

Finally the first dealer let me test drive the E92 at night (45* out) without warming up the car. Then when I was test driving it, he tried make me do 4 rights and pull it back into the dealer. HA! On top of that he told me to keep it below 4K and this was when the engine hadn't even warmed up yet and the tach was red lining at 6800.

The second dealer I went to, I called up and said I wanted a test drive and I want to see what it can do. The dealer asked me what time I planned on being there on Saturday; that he'd warm the car up for me and be ready when I got there. The second dealer was much nicer about the drive as it was a good 20 minute test drive and the wife and I both got to drive it. I still never brought the car up past 7K but could feel the power wasn't stopping!
      12-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #42
jdgamble
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & a badass Accord

Quote:
Man, if you read 2 lines later, I say NOTICE THE WORD "FEEL". I had a G35 and yes it FELT more tourqy from 500-1500 rpm. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say so. So take it easy champ
Oh... I thought you meant between 200-500 RPM... I think the M3 feels way more torque-y there. And why are you moving the "u" around in torque when you want to make it into an adjective?

Last edited by jdgamble; 12-03-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typo
      12-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #43
Raz335
Major

Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
For what it's worth, my e93's suspension and handling blows my 335 sedan's out of the water. I'm sure there's a difference from the E92, but it didn't feel measurably different from the coupe I test drove. Granted, I didn't drive them back to back.
Agreed, the suspension and handling on my 335i coupe with sport package isn't even close to the E93 M3's abilities. During my E93M test drive, I took a freeway on ramp at a speed I wouldn't even try with the 335i. The grip and balance is pretty amazing. I test drove a E92 a week later and on the same roads, the feel is not drastically different. You can feel the weight in the E93, but it's not night and day on public roads.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
      12-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise

Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I ordered my 2011 M3 with ZCP without ever having had the opportunity to test drive it as the dealership only had non-ZCP cars on the lot. I took the chance, and believe me, it was a SAFE gamble.

The new M3 with ZCP is phenomenal in its duality in still being VERY comfortable for daily driving while having that fantastic Jekyll/Hyde M-button with all of its options to unleash the beast.

Given your situation, I would even go so far as to say that a test-drive is somewhat of a waste of time! You're already familiar with the BMW ride and the M3 represents so many adjustment options that it would take you hours to run through them all. I've had my car now for a few weeks and I'm STILL exploring and tweaking the nuances of the M-Drive Manager. The brilliance of an M3 is that it's what you want it to be.

You can also feel good about getting the convertible for the fact that convertibles hold their value best over coupes and sedans.
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States