BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
CarbonAlpine
Lieutenant
 
CarbonAlpine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami

Posts: 581
iTrader: (13)

I did it, I am happy with it. However I really thought it would be more impressive. Don't get me wrong, it is fast...but I had an e46 m3 and it really doesnt feel that much faster..

CarbonAlpine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
ksoze
Captain
 
ksoze's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 620
iTrader: (0)

If you are concerned with lease terms getting worse in Decembers, fill out a BMWFS credit doc now and get approved on a prospective car from the dealer. Don't worry about actual selling price of car, but get the rates looked in on a starting price. Then you are locked into those rates or better if things change over next 60 or 90 days. If they get better, you get the better rates if before actual car delivery.
ksoze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I strongly recommend you take the round trip to drive, touch and smell the car . If you don't you will for ever regret it.

I once owned a 2002 M3 (sold it this past spring). I will once again get an M3 once I get this Z4 out off my system If I do I will test drive it here make sure I get all I want then sleep on it before ordering it. I know one thing I will take delivery in München at Die Welt and ,make it a nice European Holiday before returning home and waiting for delivery

Good luck with your eventual purchase
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAlpine View Post
I did it, I am happy with it. However I really thought it would be more impressive. Don't get me wrong, it is fast...but I had an e46 m3 and it really doesnt feel that much faster..

Based on what you said here I think you should stick with your Z for now, you know it is fast I personally think as fast as the e46 m3 as you said the Z is a sweet car we do agree on that.
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #27
Bob86GN
Private First Class
 
Bob86GN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan - ESS VT2-600
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Worcester, PA

Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

That is what I did. No M3s at any local dealers, ordered the car sight unseen.
Never a complaint. The only real decision would be 6MT versus DCT.
__________________
2009 ///M3 Sedan - Jet Black / Fox Red - IND/ESS VT2-600 - Eisenmann Race - Brembo
2007 Corvette Z06 - Atomic Orange / Ebony
2011 F-150 SuperCrew (Winter Transportation)
1986 Buick Grand National (10.8 @ 122mph)
1987 Buick Grand National (stock...for now)
Bob86GN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #28
walsh
Second Lieutenant
 
walsh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa

Posts: 289
iTrader: (2)

I test drove before I bought... but if there wasn't one to test drive, I still would've bought it.
__________________
2015 F82 M4 | Sapphire Black | Carbon Fiber Trim | DCT | pic coming soon-ish
walsh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #29
dexx
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MA

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

I didn't test drive before I bought easier to negotiate too that way.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZP2 ZCV ZCW ZCP (for teh fastAr)
2005 LGT, AVO380 Turbo, a zillion other mods, ECU tuning by me.
dexx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #30
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,133
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
I understand your quandary. I could not decide between E92 and E93 for the longest time! I LOVE the Z4 roadster experience, and really wanted to marry that with the M3 power and suspension. But would it feel right? I did test drive a 335 convertible, and it was quieter and less blowy than I had expected, but its suspension was way way worse than the 335 sedan (which I had for 3 years). 450 pounds is a lot of weight to toss over the rear axle.

So I did not go for the E93 M3. I have yet to experience it as passenger, let alone driver, so I could not say I made a mistake not going for it.

But the E92 is an amazing car. Amazing. On the highway. On the windy roads. When racing around rural lands. When cruising in traffic.

I guess this comment is no help. Sorry!
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #31
sor
Lieutenant
 
sor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I understand your quandary. I could not decide between E92 and E93 for the longest time! I LOVE the Z4 roadster experience, and really wanted to marry that with the M3 power and suspension. But would it feel right? I did test drive a 335 convertible, and it was quieter and less blowy than I had expected, but its suspension was way way worse than the 335 sedan (which I had for 3 years). 450 pounds is a lot of weight to toss over the rear axle.

So I did not go for the E93 M3. I have yet to experience it as passenger, let alone driver, so I could not say I made a mistake not going for it.

But the E92 is an amazing car. Amazing. On the highway. On the windy roads. When racing around rural lands. When cruising in traffic.

I guess this comment is no help. Sorry!
For what it's worth, my e93's suspension and handling blows my 335 sedan's out of the water. I'm sure there's a difference from the E92, but it didn't feel measurably different from the coupe I test drove. Granted, I didn't drive them back to back.
sor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #32
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I understand your quandary. I could not decide between E92 and E93 for the longest time! I LOVE the Z4 roadster experience, and really wanted to marry that with the M3 power and suspension. But would it feel right? I did test drive a 335 convertible, and it was quieter and less blowy than I had expected, but its suspension was way way worse than the 335 sedan (which I had for 3 years). 450 pounds is a lot of weight to toss over the rear axle.

So I did not go for the E93 M3. I have yet to experience it as passenger, let alone driver, so I could not say I made a mistake not going for it.

But the E92 is an amazing car. Amazing. On the highway. On the windy roads. When racing around rural lands. When cruising in traffic.

I guess this comment is no help. Sorry!
I do appreciate the input...I would have liked to driven both, but unfortunately I didn't have that option without traveling. I really wanted the convertible and I haven't ever tracked a car, and from what I've read you hardly notice a performance difference unless you're at a track. Also, getting a better deal on the convertible is a another plus (in fact if there wasn't a good lease deal going on I probably wouldn't be getting one)
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #33
jdgamble
First Lieutenant
 
jdgamble's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & a badass Accord
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 391
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
If you are aware how different driving M3 is compared to your current cars and you're ok with that, then go for it blindfolded. As you may know, E93 will feel less tourqy at lower RPMs even compared to your G37. It takes at least 4000rpm to unleash the beast inside. Notice the use of the word "feel" cause by numbers it isn't but a new M3 will feel so steady that an 85mph in it would feel like a 45 in another car. Other than that, it will blow your mind.
Less torque than a G37 now? Have you driven a G37? That car is torque-less! I think someone is going to compare the M3 torque to the 328 next (with the additional 10 hp). It's getting silly.

To OP - I wouldn't buy a $75K car without driving it, but then again, I wasn't that impressed with the M3 on the test drive (didn't max it out). It took a little driving to really start to appreciate it. And there are only a few people on this board that sound dissatisfied with their car, so odds are you will love it.
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan / Space Gray / 6MT / Few Frills / Low Weight / Lots of Fun

jdgamble is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #34
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Less torque than a G37 now? Have you driven a G37? That car is torque-less! I think someone is going to compare the M3 torque to the 328 next (with the additional 10 hp). It's getting silly.

To OP - I wouldn't buy a $75K car without driving it, but then again, I wasn't that impressed with the M3 on the test drive (didn't max it out). It took a little driving to really start to appreciate it. And there are only a few people on this board that sound dissatisfied with their car, so odds are you will love it.
I actually test drove a 2008 a couple days ago (6 Speed - Getting M-DCT though) and really like it. I didn't give it a performance run, but did step on it a few times (it was quite wet). I know it can perform, so I wasn't really out to see what it could do. It was comfortable and seemed fine on torque, especially since I wasn't expecting too much from reading here.

And yea, the G37 doesn't have a lot of low end torque...power is just fine once you get over 3k RMP's, but certainly lacks down low. Would certainly be better if they put the N54 engine in there, but I don't think that'll ever happen
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #35
Timothy J
Captain
 
Timothy J's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Point, NY

Posts: 732
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Dude! Where are you located! Lol
Timothy J is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #36
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Get it, no question, one of the most amazing cars I've ever owned.

Unless you live in Southern California, I wouldn't even consider the E93. Get the E92, E90 second choice.

Vert is not agile, fast (nor as good looking with the top up) as the E90/E92, simple math proves that point (i.e. 500lb roof).

All great cars at the end of the day.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #37
sor
Lieutenant
 
sor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Get it, no question, one of the most amazing cars I've ever owned.

Unless you live in Southern California, I wouldn't even consider the E93. Get the E92, E90 second choice.

Vert is not agile, fast (nor as good looking with the top up) as the E90/E92, simple math proves that point (i.e. 500lb roof).

All great cars at the end of the day.
minor nitpick, not a 500lb roof, a 150lb roof with 250 lb chassis reimforcement. Still very fast, very agile. Deceivingly so. Also dont forget that its better looking than e92, top down or up I have a feeling we could debate that all day, but to me it just looks more sleek, streamlined.

Dont need to be in Cali at all. I would think it the opposite, in cali everyone has nice, fast cars and you'll want every ounce of performance just to keep up. Elsewhere nice cars are novelties, even a "slow" 'vert will turn heads and leave most behind. Drove around town today with the top down, 37 degrees outside and perfectly pleasant. Warm sun, heat from the car, minimal wind,great engine sounds... Just dont get on the freeway!

Last edited by sor; 12-03-2010 at 01:38 AM.
sor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #38
Psylight
Brigadier General
 
Psylight's Avatar
 
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT Scene
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Diamond Bar ,California

Posts: 3,480
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Psylight
Get it. The M is godlike.
__________________

The Ultimate Driving Scene
Psylight is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #39
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
If you are aware how different driving M3 is compared to your current cars and you're ok with that, then go for it blindfolded. As you may know, E93 will feel less tourqy at lower RPMs even compared to your G37. It takes at least 4000rpm to unleash the beast inside. Notice the use of the word "feel" cause by numbers it isn't but a new M3 will feel so steady that an 85mph in it would feel like a 45 in another car. Other than that, it will blow your mind.
Less torque than a G37 now? Have you driven a G37? That car is torque-less! I think someone is going to compare the M3 torque to the 328 next (with the additional 10 hp). It's getting silly.

To OP - I wouldn't buy a $75K car without driving it, but then again, I wasn't that impressed with the M3 on the test drive (didn't max it out). It took a little driving to really start to appreciate it. And there are only a few people on this board that sound dissatisfied with their car, so odds are you will love it.
Man, if you read 2 lines later, I say NOTICE THE WORD "FEEL". I had a G35 and yes it FELT more tourqy from 500-1500 rpm. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say so. So take it easy champ
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #40
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
dimabimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn to SoHo NYC

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

No need to test drive M3, it will not disappoint you... and even if you test drove one prior to break in, you would not have the feel of the real deal (unless you test drove CPO)... M3 is unleashed fully after break in,- tires become smoother, engine is more aggressive and everything else just comes together...

I've gotten BMW without test driving first in past, and always was pleasantly surprized
__________________
'11 E92 M3 ZCP SG 6MT Tech Sound USB Heat Cloth Aluminium Sunshade
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422151
dimabimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #41
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
No need to test drive M3, it will not disappoint you... and even if you test drove one prior to break in, you would not have the feel of the real deal (unless you test drove CPO)... M3 is unleashed fully after break in,- tires become smoother, engine is more aggressive and everything else just comes together...

I've gotten BMW without test driving first in past, and always was pleasantly surprized
Well atleast the OP test drove the car, but I 100% agree about being able to test drive an M3 thats 1) warmed up and 2) broken in.

Before purchasing mine(still waiting for it too ) I test drove 2 E92 M3's at different dealerships. The first dealership is where I bought my first BMW and thought they'd really love to earn my business back. Well 1) the words "European Delivery" automatically seemed to piss them off and 2) when asked for a test drive they gave me the run around about the cars being on loan from another dealership.

Finally the first dealer let me test drive the E92 at night (45* out) without warming up the car. Then when I was test driving it, he tried make me do 4 rights and pull it back into the dealer. HA! On top of that he told me to keep it below 4K and this was when the engine hadn't even warmed up yet and the tach was red lining at 6800.

The second dealer I went to, I called up and said I wanted a test drive and I want to see what it can do. The dealer asked me what time I planned on being there on Saturday; that he'd warm the car up for me and be ready when I got there. The second dealer was much nicer about the drive as it was a good 20 minute test drive and the wife and I both got to drive it. I still never brought the car up past 7K but could feel the power wasn't stopping!
BKMK5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #42
jdgamble
First Lieutenant
 
jdgamble's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & a badass Accord
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 391
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Man, if you read 2 lines later, I say NOTICE THE WORD "FEEL". I had a G35 and yes it FELT more tourqy from 500-1500 rpm. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say so. So take it easy champ
Oh... I thought you meant between 200-500 RPM... I think the M3 feels way more torque-y there. And why are you moving the "u" around in torque when you want to make it into an adjective?
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan / Space Gray / 6MT / Few Frills / Low Weight / Lots of Fun


Last edited by jdgamble; 12-03-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typo
jdgamble is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #43
Raz335
Major
 
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: LI,NY

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
For what it's worth, my e93's suspension and handling blows my 335 sedan's out of the water. I'm sure there's a difference from the E92, but it didn't feel measurably different from the coupe I test drove. Granted, I didn't drive them back to back.
Agreed, the suspension and handling on my 335i coupe with sport package isn't even close to the E93 M3's abilities. During my E93M test drive, I took a freeway on ramp at a speed I wouldn't even try with the 335i. The grip and balance is pretty amazing. I test drove a E92 a week later and on the same roads, the feel is not drastically different. You can feel the weight in the E93, but it's not night and day on public roads.
__________________

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Raz335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
 
James T. Kirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (0)

I ordered my 2011 M3 with ZCP without ever having had the opportunity to test drive it as the dealership only had non-ZCP cars on the lot. I took the chance, and believe me, it was a SAFE gamble.

The new M3 with ZCP is phenomenal in its duality in still being VERY comfortable for daily driving while having that fantastic Jekyll/Hyde M-button with all of its options to unleash the beast.

Given your situation, I would even go so far as to say that a test-drive is somewhat of a waste of time! You're already familiar with the BMW ride and the M3 represents so many adjustment options that it would take you hours to run through them all. I've had my car now for a few weeks and I'm STILL exploring and tweaking the nuances of the M-Drive Manager. The brilliance of an M3 is that it's what you want it to be.

You can also feel good about getting the convertible for the fact that convertibles hold their value best over coupes and sedans.
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST