BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

11-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
dardeca
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Issues with setting shift lights on M3

Anyone else have this issue...I can set the shift lights to "ON", but everytime I turn the car off, the setting defaults back to "OFF". I haven't had my 1200 mile service yet, so I don't know if this is something unique to the initial break in period.

Any thoughts?

M3 Supplemental manual p.38: "The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC."
dardeca is offline   United_States
      11-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
kscarrol
Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Literally just had my 1,200 miles service today but have not had a chance to play! My understanding is that the shift lights don't come on until the rpm's are very high. If you are observing the break-in limit of 5,500 rpm max then you shouldn't be seeing the shift lights. But that doesn't mean that the setting "on" should change with every restart. Maybe it is something related to passing the break-in point...
kscarrol is online now   United_States
      11-25-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
dibxna
Lieutenant

Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

thats just the way it goes - doesnt stay on. anytime you restart the car you'll have to manually go in and set it back. I dont have idrive but ive been told and read elsewhere on here that if you do you can set it to stay on and even without idrive they may have a software update allowing for it to be permanently on... im with you though.... i would prefer it be on at all times.
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
dibxna is offline   United_States
      11-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
e1000
that's what SHE said!

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

If you have iDrive, you can set the shift lights to always be on in the M-drive key settings.
      11-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel

Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
If you have iDrive, you can set the shift lights to always be on in the M-drive key settings.
Yep...shift lights are on/off as a per-key setting with the default setting being off.
SenorFunkyPants is offline   United Kingdom
      11-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Simon H
Second Lieutenant

Drives: MCB M5

When in settings, go to M drive, then hit options button. You will be able to save the shift light settings there. They are then on all the time. You need to be on the gas hard, to get the shift lights on anyway. If you are seeing the shift lights come on during running in, you are revving too hard, regards, SIMON.
      11-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
dardeca
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Yep...shift lights are on/off as a per-key setting with the default setting being off.
Okay....I'm confused. I always use the same key when driving. But what your saying is I don't go in and set the shift lights through the buttons on turn indicator? That is the way I've done it everytime and it won't stay in the "ON" setting after I start the car. Now, I'm still in my break in period, so I haven't had to use them, I'm just trying to figure out how to set them to the "ON" position permanently.

Any instructions/help on setting this through the key setting???

M3 Supplemental manual p.38: "The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC."
      11-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
dardeca
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
When in settings, go to M drive, then hit options button. You will be able to save the shift light settings there. They are then on all the time. You need to be on the gas hard, to get the shift lights on anyway. If you are seeing the shift lights come on during running in, you are revving too hard, regards, SIMON.
Does this set the shift lights to "ON" for M mode? Or is it something else? I'm getting confused by the term M-key setting.

11-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
sameh
Major

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Does this set the shift lights to "ON" for M mode? Or is it something else? I'm getting confused by the term M-key setting.
Dear Dardeca:
Read this carefully. There are 2 shift light settings
1) Under the M settings on Idrive and it's self explanatory. The caveat is that these are only on IF you have the M button on AND youíre M setting is S not D. Meaning that if you have the shift lights on under the M settings but the M button isn't pushed and despite driving on S mode, they will NOT come on. M settings are only applied when M is pushed.

2) The other one is for driving without M button pushed. You turn the shifty lights on and off from the signal (right and left blinker handle) handle. It has 2 buttons, play with them you will get a picture that is deceiving with a plus and - sign. The other button will switch between on and off. If you have it on on and you are driving on S mode they should come on as youíre closing up on 8000 RPM.

So letís say for whatever reason you want the shift lights on only when M is pushed, activate only #1 above.
If you want shift lights on all the time EXCEPT when M is pushed, activate only #2 but disable it under M setting.
If you want shift lights on all the time activate both.
      11-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
mhdy

Drives: M3

Do the shift lights come with DCT only or in 6MT as well? Still trying to decided between both!

Gone: 2008 MB C63 AMG, 2008 Audi S5, 2009 997 Turbo.
      11-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
dardeca
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Dear Dardeca:
Read this carefully. There are 2 shift light settings
1) Under the M settings on Idrive and it's self explanatory. The caveat is that these are only on IF you have the M button on AND youíre M setting is S not D. Meaning that if you have the shift lights on under the M settings but the M button isn't pushed and despite driving on S mode, they will NOT come on. M settings are only applied when M is pushed.

2) The other one is for driving without M button pushed. You turn the shifty lights on and off from the signal (right and left blinker handle) handle. It has 2 buttons, play with them you will get a picture that is deceiving with a plus and - sign. The other button will switch between on and off. If you have it on on and you are driving on S mode they should come on as youíre closing up on 8000 RPM.

So letís say for whatever reason you want the shift lights on only when M is pushed, activate only #1 above.
If you want shift lights on all the time EXCEPT when M is pushed, activate only #2 but disable it under M setting.
If you want shift lights on all the time activate both.
Yep...I'm well aware of both #1 and #2. Here is my issue (as explained above in my original post)...when I go through option #2 as you explain above, the shift light setting defaults back to the "OFF" setting everytime I turn the car off. And that doesn't make sense. There should be a way to set the shift lights to the "ON" position so that it will stay "ON" all the time...regardless of whether I turn the car off or not.

11-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Fsarc
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Quote:
This^^^^^. The M Key settings are the default start up settings regardless of the M Drive (M button) settings. You can also set your default Power and EDC setting here as well. When my car starts up every time I'm in Sport, EDC Normal, and Shift Light ON. The M Key settings are in the iDrive menu. If you set it with the turn signal each time it will default to "off" after you turn the car off.
Fsarc is offline   United_States
      11-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
sameh
Major

Quote:
Yep...I'm well aware of both #1 and #2. Here is my issue (as explained above in my original post)...when I go through option #2 as you explain above, the shift light setting defaults back to the "OFF" setting everytime I turn the car off. And that doesn't make sense. There should be a way to set the shift lights to the "ON" position so that it will stay "ON" all the time...regardless of whether I turn the car off or not.
Do you change between keyfobs?
if not, does your same kefob memorize all the other "keyfob specific" settings (D1-5, comfort vs norm vs sport, radio memory 1-6, ETC)?
if yes, do you have your shift lights both in M settings and blinker settings ON? and despite that it defaults to off (in blinker settings alone, not M) after you turn off the car?
If all above is yes, then you have a unipue issue that may be a software coding would fix at the dealer!!
      11-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
sameh
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsarc View Post
This^^^^^. The M Key settings are the default start up settings regardless of the M Drive (M button) settings. You can also set your default Power and EDC setting here as well.
Not trying to start a fight, but this statement doesn't make sense!! Why would the M settings be the start up settings without pushing the M button. M settings are only for M button. My reasoning:
1) I have my M settings on D5, sport plus and MDM but my regular start up settings are D4, DSC on and EDC on normal.
2) there is a way to adjust all the settings of the M button away from the M menue (except MDM and sport plus they are only M related) why would they duplicate.
3) the keyfob keeps a memory both the M settings and the non M settings.

what I'm saying is whatever you do under the M settings of the idrive only gets activated when you push the M button and has nothing to do with the car as long as the M button is NOT pushed.
      11-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Fsarc
Lieutenant

I can set 3 parameters under the "M key'" settings. When I start my car these 3 parameters default to where I set them. Prior to setting the M key option, each time I started my car, the shift lights were off, EDC was in Comfort, and Power was in normal. Now when I start the car I'm in Power- Sport, EDC- Normal, and shift lights- on. There is a another menu where i can set my "M Drive" (M button) settings and when I hit the M button these options default to where I set them. Prior to adjusting the M Key settings, the shift lights would default to "off" each time I started the car, DESPITE the fact that I had shift light set to "ON" under the M Drive settings

At least this is working for me maybe I'm wrong. I think there is a difference between the M Key settings and the M Drive settings. What are your M Key settings?
      11-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
dardeca
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Not trying to start a fight, but this statement doesn't make sense!! Why would the M settings be the start up settings without pushing the M button. M settings are only for M button. My reasoning:
1) I have my M settings on D5, sport plus and MDM but my regular start up settings are D4, DSC on and EDC on normal.
2) there is a way to adjust all the settings of the M button away from the M menue (except MDM and sport plus they are only M related) why would they duplicate.
3) the keyfob keeps a memory both the M settings and the non M settings.

what I'm saying is whatever you do under the M settings of the idrive only gets activated when you push the M button and has nothing to do with the car as long as the M button is NOT pushed.
Okay...based on my read of all the posts above, here is my understanding of the issue:

1) there is the "M" button, and the shift lights can be set through the idrive to come on during "M" mode (i.e., pushing the M button on the steering wheel),

2) you can set the shift lights using the buttons on the turn signal, BUT the shift lights will always go back to "OFF" setting when the car is turned off,

3) you can set the shift lights through the M key settings (p. 22 - 23 of the Supplemental M3 owners manual) along with EDC and Power settings...and these will always default to whatever setting you decide and will be associated to that key

I think that makes sense, although I still don't understand why in #2 above, the shift lights default back to "OFF" when the car is turned off, even though the same key is used each time. In fact the M3 owners manual even states on p.30 that when setting the shift lights using the buttons on the turn signal that "The setting is stored for the remote control currently
in use." But that doesn't seem to be the case based on what I am seeing plus what others have said as well.

11-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
Fsarc
Lieutenant

The first few times I tried setting the shift lights to on using the turn signal they would be off the next time I started the car. I was also confused until I saw the M Key settings and now they are on each time I start the car which is what I want.
      11-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

Maybe this helps...

"M Key" has nothing to do with the "M Button" defaults. Think of "M Key", a right click from the "M Button" menu, as being a "Memory for M-related stuff that can't be set elsewhere and will get associated with the key." The "M Key" selected setting will be your defaults for each startup (note that you can't select a Drivelogic mode). The "M Button" stuff is simply what happens when you press the button.
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
      11-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Okay...based on my read of all the posts above, here is my understanding of the issue:

1) there is the "M" button, and the shift lights can be set through the idrive to come on during "M" mode (i.e., pushing the M button on the steering wheel),

2) you can set the shift lights using the buttons on the turn signal, BUT the shift lights will always go back to "OFF" setting when the car is turned off,

3) you can set the shift lights through the M key settings (p. 22 - 23 of the Supplemental M3 owners manual) along with EDC and Power settings...and these will always default to whatever setting you decide and will be associated to that key

I think that makes sense, although I still don't understand why in #2 above, the shift lights default back to "OFF" when the car is turned off, even though the same key is used each time. In fact the M3 owners manual even states on p.30 that when setting the shift lights using the buttons on the turn signal that "The setting is stored for the remote control currently
in use." But that doesn't seem to be the case based on what I am seeing plus what others have said as well.
Yes, and the answer to #2 is "Because it's lame."
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
      11-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
Fsarc
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Maybe this helps...

"M Key" has nothing to do with the "M Button" defaults. Think of "M Key", a right click from the "M Button" menu, as being a "Memory for M-related stuff that can't be set elsewhere and will get associated with the key." The "M Key" selected setting will be your defaults for each startup (note that you can't select a Drivelogic mode). The "M Button" stuff is simply what happens when you press the button.

Thank you. That's the point I think I was trying to make........
      11-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #21
e1000
that's what SHE said!

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdy View Post
Do the shift lights come with DCT only or in 6MT as well? Still trying to decided between both!
DCT only
      11-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
OC3
Havin' a blast!

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
DCT only
Yep. Never saw it light up in my 6MT, but see it all the time in my DCT. Love it!

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States