BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

11-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
shamoo
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

REVIEW: Agency Power exhaust & Fabspeed Xpipe

Itís been a while since I acquired and installed my Agency Power exhaust. Recently I purchased a Fabspeed resonated Xpipe and Fabspeed high flow cats from a user on this board. It was installed immediately afterwards. I figure it would be helpful to post up a review, as well as a few videos to prospective buyers of this exhaust combination.

Agency Power Exhaust w/connecting pipes
My E92 M3 was stock as stock could be at this point. I was out of my comfort zone, as this was my first non-Honda. I wasnít familiar with the myriad of exhaust system choices. After viewing video after video online, I still could not make up my mind. My requirements with an exhaust system were as follows:
Not obnoxiously loud
Did not drone
Was bolt on
Reasonable price

I visited Bart at AUTOcouture at this shop in Hillsdale, NJ and heard his Agency Power exhaust in person. It was absolutely perfect. I was surprised that he had no additional modifications and his car simply sounded exactly the way I wanted. He was even nice enough to take me for a ride to prove that there was no drone.

I admit I was a little slow to actually purchase since Iím always guilty with buying things like this, but I finally did. When it finally came in (after some issues with UPS), I immediately unboxed it, took a few pics, and started the install process. Iím very pleased with the price as well.

Hereís some shoddy video recorded with my Canon 7D with non-optimal lighting conditions. The sound of the system is very accurate in this video. Yes, I know thereís a big grasshopper crawling up the side of the car haha.

Performance wise, I didnít really feel anything at all, and I didnít expect to. There was absolutely no drone (although that is subjective as some say the OEM system has drone). In that case, I would say it was equal to the amount of drone the OEM system has. Upon cold startup, the system was significantly louder than OEM at idle. It literally rumbled in your chest if you were standing close by. About 30 seconds later, the idle returned to OEM levels.

My only complaint is that the titanium tips seemed too short. If you bent down to look at the system, you could see the ends of the tips very easily. I suppose I could probably adjust the system to make it flusher to the bumper, but Iím lazy. My left side tips protrude ever so slightly more than the right side. Itís not noticeable except to me. Other people with this exhaust stated the same thing, so Iím not alone.

After a while, I started yearning for more power. I got a Macht Schnell air filter and the Powerchip stage 1 ECU reflash. Honestly didnít feel it that much, but it was better. Reading and posting about Xpipes showed me that the Xpipe modification would free up quite a bit of power (probably the most out of any N/A mod).

Fabspeed resonated Xpipe & Fabspeed high flow cats (w/O2 extenders)
I was very concerned since everybody said that an Xpipe significantly changes your exhaust volume. Even people with the OEM exhaust and aftermarket Xpipe had a very loud car. My Agency Power alone was almost on the verge of being too loud, so I was VERY hesitant on purchasing an Xpipe. Unfortunately, I was not able to hear an M3 with one.

My other concern was I absolutely did NOT want to cut my OEM system and I absolutely did NOT want to fail emissions inspection. I was reduced to a few limited choices (resonated pipes with high flow cats). Unfortunately, these are usually significantly more expensive due to the cats.

I was lucky enough to speak to a member here willing to sell his setup for a great price. We both drove over an hour each way to meet up. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the install, only video.

Performance
I never ďfeelĒ any performance modification other than a supercharger or turbocharger. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I could definitely feel the addition of the Xpipe. The car definitely reved up faster and the top end was simply ridiculous. Iím sure it was due to the combination of my other modifications (specifically the Powerchip flash). After 6500rpm, the car was an absolute beast. I now need to somehow get the Powerchip stage II flash since it takes advantage of xpipes with high flow cats.

Sound
On cold start, the sound again was very loud, but pretty much exactly the same as having the Agency Power exhaust rear section alone. Perhaps it was a tiny bit deeper. On idle it was a little throatier, but hardly noticeable. On idle revving to ~3500rpm, it sounded almost exactly the same as having the AP rear section only.

The major difference in sound is when youíre driving around in town in the lower rpm range. Itís significantly louder, almost too loud for me. After a couple of weeks however, I am used to the sound and it does not bother me. I do get somewhat self conscious if Iím driving through a small development with people around. Donít get me wrong, it is definitely not obnoxious at all.

On the highway at cruising speed (60-80mph), the car sounds pretty much just like stock. However, as soon as you step on the gas, the Xpipe noise definitely takes charge. Itís much throatier and has a mixture of ďexoticĒ and ďmuscle carĒ tones. This is what I hear from the inside, and a few people driving behind me during rallies have said the same thing. I have yet to get a video of me driving from outside. If youíre literally on the gas on the highway, there is some drone, but itís not unbearable at all.

All in all, if it was a tiny bit quieter around town, I would be 100% happy. Obviously with the hundreds of exhaust system combinations, nobody is going to be 100% happy, but I think I have it pretty close.

Misc
Iím running the supplied O2 extenders after the high flow cats, and I have not encountered any CELs. Iíve been driving on this for several weeks now from a track event, to a charity rally, to putzing around town and no issues have popped up. Iíve also driven in temperatures from 75 degrees to 32 degrees so far.

Videos

Cold start in 41 degree weather this morning prior to going to work.

My short 10 minute commute to work haha. Windows were closed for the entire duration of the video. Maximum speed hit was 105mph or so immediately after merging onto the highway. Maximum rpm hit was ~6500rpm. I slowed down to ~75 for the rest of the way. Yes, I use my signal all the time and do not tailgate . On local roads, it sounds like Iím speeding, but Iím not (maybe 5mph over). I simply accelerated quickly for video effect.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to ask me any questions about my setup.
      02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
mpm3
Captain

Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [5.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
i see you all the time i live right by you ...i have the same step up exhaust wise and use a t2i for my video lol omg were like the same person this is crazy
      02-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
shamoo
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm3 View Post
i see you all the time i live right by you ...i have the same step up exhaust wise and use a t2i for my video lol omg were like the same person this is crazy
Haha, do you really? I never see any other M3, except for Dengel very occasionally. And then there's one guy who owns the restaurant next to the Wawa gas station on 516 in Old Bridge.
      02-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
1Cyrus
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe

Maybe you two guys should take a ride down to the beach once the weather is nicer, and we can do some pics and videos? I live very close to you guys, and have the Agency Power cat-back, paired with a Gintani x-pipe...sounds sick! Let me know.
      03-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
///Matthew
Major

Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Quote:
I finally put the Vanguard on last week... OMG

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
      03-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
///Matthew
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Haha, do you really? I never see any other M3, except for Dengel very occasionally. And then there's one guy who owns the restaurant next to the Wawa gas station on 516 in Old Bridge.
I remember you from s2ki.com when I had my S2000.

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
      03-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
mpm3
Captain

Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [5.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
mattew ! hey man i hope you like it sounds awesome do the fab speed x pipe and its out of control ! i miss that exhuast everyday
      03-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
///Matthew
Major

Quote:
mattew ! hey man i hope you like it sounds awesome do the fab speed x pipe and its out of control ! i miss that exhuast everyday
I still can't decide what to do as far as the x-pipe. I need to talk to my SA and see how mod friendly the dealership is. Do you have any vids of your exhaust set up online? The Vanguard is actually pretty quiet compared to other systems that I've heard. Seems a little louder/more aggressive than stock, but not overbearing. You still have first crack at it...

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
      05-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
StagexM3
Private

Drives: 2011.75 AW/FR E93 M3

Very nice car. Thank you for the review/videos.. It certainly helps those of us out there who are having trouble deciding what set up to go with...i am also in Jersey.... will PM you now...
      05-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
wildcat767676
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Great post!! This makes me want to trade my 135i in for an M3!

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
wildcat767676 is offline   United_States