BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
asif163
Captain
asif163's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3, '14 Range Rover Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to asif163 Send a message via MSN to asif163
Update- The dealer had said they would call me yesterday morning to give me an update however, I didn't hear from anyone. I then emailed my CA for an update and he said that I should lodge a formal complaint with BMW NA, which I proceeded to do.

A few hours later, the service manager of the dealership calls and says that they've finally found the problem. Turns out, it was a bent spark plug- not a big deal! They didn't have to open my engine up, do extensive repairs and have to order parts. Needless to say, I was relieved. However, my car still had trouble the first day I was driving it and the car sat in the dealer's garage for the first 2 and a half days of my ownership.

I still wasn't happy at this point. I expressed this to the dealer and BMWNA. When I picked up the car they informed me that they would be making the first month's payment. That I would be getting a check in the email within two weeks for the amount of a monthly payment.

Problem solved and now, I am a proud, happy, M3 owner! FINALLY!
__________________
2011 E92 M3 / Acquired: 11.08.2010
2014 Range Rover Sport / Acquired: 06.08.2013
Retired: 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8

Last edited by asif163; 11-11-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #24
sameh
Major
sameh's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
1,471
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif163 View Post
Update- The dealer had said they would call me yesterday morning to give me an update however, I didn't hear from anyone. I then emailed my CA for an update and he said that I should lodge a formal complaint with BMW NA, which I proceeded to do.

A few hours later, the service manager of the dealership calls and says that they've finally found the problem. Turns out, it was a bent spark plug- not a big deal! They didn't have to open my engine up, do extensive repairs and have to order parts. Needless to say, I was relieved. However, my car still had trouble the first day I was driving it and the car sat in the dealer's garage for the first 2 and a half days of my ownership.

I still wasn't happy at this point. I expressed this to the dealer and BMWNA. When I picked up the car they informed me that they would be making the first month's payment. That I would be getting a check in the email within two weeks for the amount of a monthly payment.

Problem solved and now, I am a proud, happy, M3 owner! FINALLY!
Please tell me they didn't REFILL your tank from their bad gas. I still think it was the bad gas and the bent spark plug was a cover up (I'm very big on conspiracy theories). Anyway, get your M3 right now to a Shell and feed her the 93 nectar and she will thank you for it with a big V8 growl
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
asif163
Captain
asif163's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3, '14 Range Rover Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to asif163 Send a message via MSN to asif163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Please tell me they didn't REFILL your tank from their bad gas. I still think it was the bad gas and the bent spark plug was a cover up (I'm very big on conspiracy theories). Anyway, get your M3 right now to a Shell and feed her the 93 nectar and she will thank you for it with a big V8 growl
Interestingly enough, they didn't fill my tank! I was thinking that they should have considering all the trouble I went through but in hind sight, as you said, it's probably for the better that they didn't!
__________________
2011 E92 M3 / Acquired: 11.08.2010
2014 Range Rover Sport / Acquired: 06.08.2013
Retired: 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #26
JCE
Banned
United_States
4
Rep
185
Posts

 
Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

How does a spark plug get bent?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #27
asif163
Captain
asif163's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3, '14 Range Rover Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to asif163 Send a message via MSN to asif163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
How does a spark plug get bent?
During installation...
__________________
2011 E92 M3 / Acquired: 11.08.2010
2014 Range Rover Sport / Acquired: 06.08.2013
Retired: 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
andrew270681
Private First Class
andrew270681's Avatar
Australia
4
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
How does a spark plug get bent?
Yeah? It would have broken all together. Unless it was a lead that was kinked..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
JCE
Banned
United_States
4
Rep
185
Posts

 
Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif163 View Post
During installation...
Really?

I've changed a few sparkplugs in my life, but never bent the electrode. Not sure how somebody could mess something up that bad.

Quote:
Yeah? It would have broken all together. Unless it was a lead that was kinked..
Lead? You mean the lead on the cable?

There's nothing on the sparkplug to "bend", unless it is the electrode and it would be running like shyt from the outset, not after 55 miles. And, as I implied only a blind person trying to install it with a hammer would bend that.

IMO the explanation from the dealer is BS.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #30
asif163
Captain
asif163's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3, '14 Range Rover Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to asif163 Send a message via MSN to asif163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
Really?

I've changed a few sparkplugs in my life, but never bent the electrode. Not sure how somebody could mess something up that bad.



Lead? You mean the lead on the cable?

There's nothing on the sparkplug to "bend", unless it is the electrode and it would be running like shyt from the outset, not after 55 miles. And, as I implied only a blind person trying to install it with a hammer would bend that.

IMO the explanation from the dealer is BS.
It was actually running very rough from the beginning- much more than normal but the dealer at the time said it was fine. The electrode itself was bent- they showed me the spark plug. I'm beginning to think it was BS also but hey, the car is perfect now and they are paying the first month's payment...
__________________
2011 E92 M3 / Acquired: 11.08.2010
2014 Range Rover Sport / Acquired: 06.08.2013
Retired: 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #31
Stainless 45
Lieutenant
Stainless 45's Avatar
8
Rep
458
Posts

 
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

That's pretty generous- Who is your dealer??
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #32
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
39
Rep
2,332
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif163 View Post
It was actually running very rough from the beginning- much more than normal but the dealer at the time said it was fine. The electrode itself was bent- they showed me the spark plug. I'm beginning to think it was BS also but hey, the car is perfect now and they are paying the first month's payment...
I'd say the plug itself slipped through quality control when it was made. The folks at M that built your engine also never noticed it when they installed it.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #33
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
///V\3Dude's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
464
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: I <3 NY

iTrader: (2)

It''s life, anything is possible! Glad to see your car is back on the road. A week ago i got side swiped by a Ford-150. :'(
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #34
asif163
Captain
asif163's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3, '14 Range Rover Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to asif163 Send a message via MSN to asif163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45 View Post
That's pretty generous- Who is your dealer??
Dealer is in NJ- Hunterdon BMW. I must say that this had nothing to do with them and they are truly magnificent to deal with. My CA is excellent and so is the entire staff there. This issue was caused in the manufacturing process (not their fault) however, they had to deal with the brunt of my frustration and they handled it well. I will definitely buy from them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I'd say the plug itself slipped through quality control when it was made. The folks at M that built your engine also never noticed it when they installed it.
+1 Funny thing is, my car sat in QC for 10 days. You think they would've caught this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Dude, that's good news though. Enjoy the car!
I'm loving this car- I actually got to do some spirited driving today on the way to work and I actually screamed in laughter at how much fun I was having. Didn't pass the 5500 RPM threshold yet either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///V\3Dude View Post
It''s life, anything is possible! Glad to see your car is back on the road. A week ago i got side swiped by a Ford-150. :'(
Wow, sorry to hear that man...hope it comes out brand-spanking new when fixed!
__________________
2011 E92 M3 / Acquired: 11.08.2010
2014 Range Rover Sport / Acquired: 06.08.2013
Retired: 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
KJM3
Private First Class
1
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: East Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Doesnt take much of a bump to close an electrode, or it may have been closed (or close to it) somewhere between the factory and install. I'm sure they are all machine gapped and protected somehow, and not checked when screwed in.

First months payment isnt bad, at least they did something to try to help.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #36
JeremyR
Private First Class
1
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2011 E90, and brought my car in for the "Increased Emissions" warning. Just got a call and they said that all 8 cylinders misfired, but only once. They were asking if I ever ran out of gas (nope), so they are still looking in to why it happened...
__________________
2011 Jet Black E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #37
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
2,390
Posts

 
Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

mis fire happened to me once with around 38000 KM on my car. It was due to bad gas. did not happen at all after. I suggest you not to panic as well.
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #38
JeremyR
Private First Class
1
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Just spoke to them again. Misfire happened on all cylinders but just once and they cant get it to do it again. They think it was most likely either a glitch in the software somewhere or too much ethanol in the gas...going to hold on to it one more day to see if they can get it to happen again
__________________
2011 Jet Black E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #39
Krozi
Colonel
Krozi's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
2,713
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

iTrader: (22)

Probably just a bad coil from the factory.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #40
meile
New Member
Sweden
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Had the "Increased Emissions" warning the first time I drove the car. I picked up the car (2010 E92) in Germany to drive it back to Sweden where I live, and got the warning. The car stopped pulling for a while everytime when reaching 4500 rpms. The problem was solved when I came back to Sweden and had new gas, the warning disappeared and everything is fine now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #41
JeremyR
Private First Class
1
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Mine is still at the dealer. They cant figure out why it happened, get it to happen again, and they are not comfortable giving me the car back until they have some explanation. The only upside is that the loaner 328 really makes me appreciate my car. You dont realize how great the little things like a soft and hefty steering wheel are until you dont have them!
__________________
2011 Jet Black E90 M3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST