BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

E92-lighting

10-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Nelrock
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Damn transport company!

So...my new E92 M gets to Bunswick, two weeks ago tomorrow. My CA is sending me e-mails...it's arrived in port!!...released to carrier!!!...back at VPC???...hmmm. Says she'll look into it.
Sure enough...my fears are confirmed...the transport company damaged one of the doors to the point the entire door needed to be replaced. The delay...they were waiting on the door to arrive from Germany.

So...decision time. Take the car knowing what I know...which isn't much. How it happened? To what extent it was damaged?
Or...reorder.

Gah...I really don't like the fact of knowing it got damaged...but not sure I have another 10 week wait in me.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
      10-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
motortrend
Goldmember

Drives: EM Siree

I'd wait till I see the car, and then think about re-ordering
      10-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
PortoM3
M3lover

Drives: SSII M3

Send a message via Yahoo to PortoM3
ask the dealer if they will give you the option to inspect it first prior to taking delivery of it, and even after you take delivery of it, can you give you some grace time if you decide that you want to replace it with a different car. I know you that you might not want to wait 10 more weeks, but at least you have another M (the 2004) to keep you patient till the new one arrives. The door might look fine and the paint might match, but there might be other problems that might not be apparent till later, like noises, power windows, etc..
either way, sorry to hear about this.. good luck.
PortoM3 is offline   United_States
      10-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
jacobbmw
Bimmerfan

Drives: 2013 E92 Silverstone ZCP

If I knew that the car was damaged and had body work, I would not take it. Order another one or see if they can do a port swap for another car similar to yours.
jacobbmw is offline   United_States
      10-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Nelrock
Lieutenant

Yeah...that's my biggest fear...not knowing the specifics...hate for it to be raining one day...2 years down the road...and all of a sudden water start leaking.
Really wish I knew the specifics.

I think I'm gonna at least go take a look at it. The dealer offered to order me a new one if that's what I want.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
      10-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity

Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 w/DCT

If you read the ED forums you will see that this kind of stuff happens all of the time. Thats why they have the VPC to make repairs. You are aware because you ordered the car and monitored it all the way here. If you had picked one off of the lot, you would never know the car had been damaged. They are repaired and sold as new.

Like you say, at the end of the day, you know something is wrong, and if that is going to bother you, get a new one.
NeoE46 is offline   United_States
      10-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
SlamMan
Captain

Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

If it's replaced with a factory painted door it will probably be fine. My bumper was replaced before redelivery after my ED trip.

If it's repaired and has blended paint, I'd pass.

I'd definitely want to see the work before accepting the car though.
      10-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Nelrock
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
+ 1 Totally agree! I'd order a new one, or look for a similar one. No way I'd take a brand new car with a repainted door.
It's not a repainted door. According to the 45 min phone conversation I had...it's a brand new door...painted and shipped from the factory.
My reluctance comes from...did the truck guy just slam the door into one of the support beams of the truck (how much damage nets an entire new door vs a repair anyway?)...or did some yahoo with a forklift barrel into it?

I dunno...one minute I'm like...nope...ordering a new one. Next...gah...dont wanna wait another 3 months if it's something minor.

10-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

I've never heard of any factory painting large parts, so I'd definitely investigate that. All doors, bumpers, fenders, etc., are sent just primed, and a bodyshop has to paint them. If that's the case, I'd definitely pass. In fact, I'd pass regardless, but if door is factory painted indeed, all you have to worry is about rattles or window not being perfectly aligned (common issue when replacing doors), but guess it can be worked until done right. It's just I wouldn't like my car torn apart when brand new, with no fault of my own. But other buyers are less picky. Or less patient . The final issue is even with factory paint, a different batch usually doesn't match a previous one. At least inspect the car before and after, and make a decision then. Good luck.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      10-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
JohnnyRoaster
Captain

Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I hate to say it but I would push for a new car. Without knowing exactly what happened, the replaced door will always be in the back of your mind. The wait will suck but I think you will feel better about it in the long run.
      10-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
KJM3
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Why stress it, get another one.

It is possible they can ship a painted part if they really wanted to, they usually dont since the paint can easily be damaged in shipping. But unless the car is jet black or it came from the same run of cars it wont match, body shop has a better chance of matching it. Problem is they will paint the new door, then most likely blend into the 1/4 and fender so you end up with 1/4 the car painted.

Its true that a lot of cars get damaged in transport and most people dont even know. I used to inspect them daily and different states have different requirements and dollar amounts on disclosing transport damage. Not to mention lot damage if the car has been sitting around a while.
      10-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
Nelrock
Lieutenant

I'm gonna go take a look at it...when it ever shows up. I'm less than confident about a perfect paint match as well.
I'll give it a thorough look though and decide. What an asspain.

10-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
schnell325
Bored at work....

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi

Wow, that's not very nice to read about.

Like you say, take a look and decide from there.
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
schnell325 is offline   Canada
      10-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
NemesisX
Captain

Drives: '08 335i

This is would eat at me on the inside if I accepted an order like that. "How do I know the door was the only thing damaged?"

Even more generally, I'd feel as though my car had been irreversibly "sullied" and it would just annoy me. If I were in your shoes, I would re-order, but that's just me.
      10-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
michaelw9
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Interlagos

I would take the car. The VPC is not just some body shop -- they are basically an extension of the factory. They know that they are working with brand new cars.

Honestly, they will probably pay so much attention to the repair that your car might even be better. The factory ships out tons of vehicles with problems because they're not giving such close attention to each individual one when there are hundreds more right behind it.

That's not to say there's any problem with the factory. It's just that your car will now be getting the white glove treatment and they will be paying extra close attention to make sure it's perfect.
      10-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
montreal red
chris

Drives: White Boat

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
I would take the car. The VPC is not just some body shop -- they are basically an extension of the factory. They know that they are working with brand new cars.

Honestly, they will probably pay so much attention to the repair that your car might even be better. The factory ships out tons of vehicles with problems because they're not giving such close attention to each individual one when there are hundreds more right behind it.

That's not to say there's any problem with the factory. It's just that your car will now be getting the white glove treatment and they will be paying extra close attention to make sure it's perfect.
i agree with this. VPC is part of the factory and they have very stringent standards over there because they know the car has to be 'as good as new' if not better.

many many cars get damaged during transport and get repaired at VPC. u probably wont even know which door was repaired when u get the car.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
      10-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
michaelw9
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post

Just wanted to add also. As much as we like to think otherwise, really the car is just a whole bunch of parts put together. They're made to be interchangable. Stuff like that happens all the time, even in the factory. If you have competent personnel, they will bring together the parts (and paint) in the correct way to make something special -- an M3.
      10-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #18
Leonardo629
Major

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

if you can make peace with the fact that the door is not of the original.....then why wait? enjoy the car right away...

If it was me...I totally re-order the car
Leonardo629 is offline   United_States
      10-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
kscarrol
Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I would be happy to hear they are putting an entirely new door and not simply trying to fix the damaged one. Give the car a good look over before signing anything, including outside in sunlight... If it looks good, take it.
kscarrol is offline   United_States
      10-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
cmk227
Major

Drives: ED on 2014 M6GC this summer

Fuck. This is what i was thinking when I drop my m at the shipping company in Frankfurt for shipping to Bremenhaven port. I saw so many nice cars parked with 3 inches of one another it made me sick and worried as hell when I left that afternoon.

08 BMW X5 3.0si Space Grey
14 Lexus GX460
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
cmk227 is offline   United_States
      10-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
Nelrock
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
Fuck. This is what i was thinking when I drop my m at the shipping company in Frankfurt for shipping to Bremenhaven port. I saw so many nice cars parked with 3 inches of one another it made me sick and worried as hell when I left that afternoon.
Yeah...when my CA e-mailed me that it was "released to carrier"...then...a few hours later said "Weird, now it's back "at VPC"...my heart just sunk.