BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
NN350
Private First Class
 
NN350's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Escort Redline

I have been doing some research on Detectors over the last few days and I'm very interested in the Escort Redline. I am having trouble finding very specific details about it. Any of you who have one and have hands on experience using it please let me know what you think. I am also wondering if it receives both radar and laser. Thanks!
NN350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
mphatic
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern CT

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Not sure whether it detects laser but most high end detectors do. However it really doesn't matter because when it comes to LEA w/ laser, if it goes off its already too late. If you're concerned about laser you need to get a jammer. I have Laser Interceptor and many people recommend Blinder.
mphatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
Cdnrockies
Banned
 
Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,113
iTrader: (0)

Yes, it does detect laser as well. It is a very good detector with excellent range.
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
NN350
Private First Class
 
NN350's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the quick responses. Does anyone know how well something like this actually works? http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...asershield.cfm
I have seen a ton of cars with plastic covers over the license plate and never understood why. Is it basically just for laser diffusing?
NN350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
mphatic
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern CT

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

I believe that those "shields" are most often used to supplement a jammer device and increase it's jamming ability but won't be enough as a stand alone. I have a jammer and never bothered with that (though I don't have a front plate) and my jammer has saved me many times.
mphatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
sor
Lieutenant
 
sor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

Posts: 531
iTrader: (0)

I've heard with the laser detectors you'll often get scatter off of other vehicles, so it can warn you early, but if you're alone it's not going to help.
sor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
mphatic
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern CT

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Don't know about "scatter" it's a pretty tight beam they shoot but if there are other cars in front of you the brake lights are a good enough warning. I agree that you most need the jammer when there are not many other vehicles or you're out in front
mphatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Cdnrockies
Banned
 
Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I've heard with the laser detectors you'll often get scatter off of other vehicles, so it can warn you early, but if you're alone it's not going to help.
That is how conventional radar works not laser. The laser beam is tight enough that if your radar detector is going off you're already clocked. I have never had a "false" laser signal. The first time I heard it, it scared the shit out of me as it makes a very differenct sound, and then I saw the cop wandering out onto the road.
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
sor
Lieutenant
 
sor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

Posts: 531
iTrader: (0)

Oh, I agree it's more accurate, and if they're already targeting YOU you're done for. However, there are still scenarios where you can catch stray laser photons and get advanced warning, for example as I mentioned, light scatter off of another vehicle being targeted. The beam doesn't travel in a straight line and bounce entirely back in the same direction, it scatters when it hits a target and the officer just catches a certain portion of it.

I had remembered reading some basic explanation awhile ago, remembered it was here. At 500 feet the laser beam is 8-12 ft wide, and just gets wider with distance... if they're targeting someone in front of you that's plenty of opportunity to detect it.
sor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
mphatic
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern CT

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

I admit I'm no scientist so won't argue your point re "scatter" but don't think it's particularly relevant to real world LEA laser defense or helpful to the OP who seems to be asking about detection of laser more often than some theoretical incredibly fortuitous scatter scenario
mphatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
sor
Lieutenant
 
sor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

Posts: 531
iTrader: (0)

Oh, I'm responding to the subsequent 'laser detectors are useless' comment. I wouldn't necessarily call it fortuitous, if it were, laser pointers wouldn't work (your eye would have to be where the laser emitter is to see it). Laser beams don't reflect as a laser, as soon as they strike an object they're just like any other reflected visible light. You can read laser detector reviews and see how their tests for effectiveness are done.

Think about it this way, if the laser were visible, like a red laser pointer, if it were pointed at the ground in front of you, you would see (detect) the red dot, but it wouldn't be taking measurements on you. If you could see in the spectrum of the police laser, it would literally look like someone shining a spot light on specific cars around you. Easily detectable, but if you're already the target you're done for.

Last edited by sor; 08-22-2010 at 01:05 PM.
sor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
VAUROS
///Mpowered to Defy the Road
 
VAUROS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X5M Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan M3 View Post
I have been doing some research on Detectors over the last few days and I'm very interested in the Escort Redline. I am having trouble finding very specific details about it. Any of you who have one and have hands on experience using it please let me know what you think. I am also wondering if it receives both radar and laser. Thanks!
Why would you get the Redline over the 9500xi? The 9500xi has an database that can be updated via the internet; the Redline does not.
__________________
Current Ride: 2013 X5M Space Gray Metallic
Previous Rides: 2013 GT-R, 2012 GT-R, 2011.5 E92 M3, 2005 E46 M3, 2003 E46 M3

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
VAUROS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
WillC310
Lieutenant
 
Drives: A car
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 422
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista_Vanquish View Post
Why would you get the Redline over the 9500xi? The 9500xi has an database that can be updated via the internet; the Redline does not.
The RL is supposed to have better range than the 9500. If you add in the SC55 with the RL you have the same camera database. I think they are trying to target different drivers (city vs highway).
WillC310 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

You should give the V1 a look; if you haven't already. I love mine.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
VAUROS
///Mpowered to Defy the Road
 
VAUROS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X5M Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
You should give the V1 a look; if you haven't already. I love mine.
Yea, the Valentine use to be the defacto standard with E46 M3 owners starting back from 2001. Over the years, it seems a lot of new M3 owners, starting from 2008, have switched to Escort.

Has Valentine even evolved their radar system/software over the years?
__________________
Current Ride: 2013 X5M Space Gray Metallic
Previous Rides: 2013 GT-R, 2012 GT-R, 2011.5 E92 M3, 2005 E46 M3, 2003 E46 M3

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
VAUROS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
V1 is still the best.

Laser is pointless to detect - once they hit you with a laser it's game over. Laser does not scatter like radar. To avoid lasar (Lidar) tickets, you need jammers.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

I just picked up the 9500ix a couple days ago and am having trouble getting it to hook to the satelites in my car. I put it in my wife's car and it gets an instant signal and keeps it, in the M3 it's spotty at best. I'm thinking of taking it back and getting a V1 because what is the purpose of having the GPS capability if it can't link to the satelites? I'm going to keep moving it around on the windshield and see if that helps, but I've already put it in several places, I guess I said all that to suggest that you go with the Redline instead because it's proving dificult to get a GPS signal in the M3.

Chest
Chest Rockwell is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
NN350
Private First Class
 
NN350's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

The reason I am looking at the redline over the 9500ix is because I don't need the gps system. Michigan doesn't use cameras and I don't run red lights so its pointless in So Cal. The extra range seems to be the big selling point and I'm not really interested in the V1 based on the reviews I've read. The reason I asked about radar is because I received a ticket the other day and the cop claims to have lasered me but for some reason didn't pull me over until a mile and a half later. So theoretically if I had a laser detector I would have known I was hit and couldve pulled off on a side street to duck the cop before he was able to cross traffic and follow me down the road and reach me a mile and a half after.
NN350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

That's true I guess, it becomes a dangerous game though because if he does catch up to you he could then tack on evading if he wanted to be a dick. But like I read on one of the radar forums, "speeding is a pay-to-plag game, if you can't afford it then just slow down."
Chest Rockwell is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan M3 View Post
The reason I am looking at the redline over the 9500ix is because I don't need the gps system. Michigan doesn't use cameras and I don't run red lights so its pointless in So Cal. The extra range seems to be the big selling point and I'm not really interested in the V1 based on the reviews I've read. The reason I asked about radar is because I received a ticket the other day and the cop claims to have lasered me but for some reason didn't pull me over until a mile and a half later. So theoretically if I had a laser detector I would have known I was hit and couldve pulled off on a side street to duck the cop before he was able to cross traffic and follow me down the road and reach me a mile and a half after.
No!

1) The laser is very focused and unless he's pointing it directly at your detector, it won't pick it up. Think of it like a laser pointer. It's diameter is millimeters if anything. It doesn't scatter like traditional radar.

2) Even if he hit your detector with a Lidar gun you're still screwed. It's like instant-on, your speed is shown on the Lidar gun the moment he hits you with. It takes milliseconds. Pull over all you want, he still got you and your speed and will pull you over.

3) The citation will say Lidar or Radar and give the gun calibration/configuration #. They need that in court since these things need to be calibrated once in a while; especially radar guns.

4) Laser detection is utterly useless and companies add that to products to sell sell sell. You're only hope for Lasar is laser jammers. That's it.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista_Vanquish View Post
Yea, the Valentine use to be the defacto standard with E46 M3 owners starting back from 2001. Over the years, it seems a lot of new M3 owners, starting from 2008, have switched to Escort.

Has Valentine even evolved their radar system/software over the years?
V1 continually updates their software and all older units can be updated.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
mphatic
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern CT

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Oh, I'm responding to the subsequent 'laser detectors are useless' comment. I wouldn't necessarily call it fortuitous, if it were, laser pointers wouldn't work (your eye would have to be where the laser emitter is to see it). Laser beams don't reflect as a laser, as soon as they strike an object they're just like any other reflected visible light. You can read laser detector reviews and see how their tests for effectiveness are done.

Think about it this way, if the laser were visible, like a red laser pointer, if it were pointed at the ground in front of you, you would see (detect) the red dot, but it wouldn't be taking measurements on you. If you could see in the spectrum of the police laser, it would literally look like someone shining a spot light on specific cars around you. Easily detectable, but if you're already the target you're done for.
Don't think you're getting it and don't want to launch into an off-topic debate but this theoretical argument about whether you can OCCASIONALLY detect a laser from a LEA trap due to "scatter" is irrelevant to those of us who want to detect it and avoid detection EVERY time (or close to it) and wouldn't be satisfied with relying on your "scatter" effect and only getting a ticket 7 out of 10 times. The fact is you can't see it and the detectors usually only detect it when its pointed at your car and therefore, as many others have said, most if not all the time when your detector goes off because it has detected LIDAR then it's too late and you're screwed. Therefore laser detection is virtually useless and you need a jammer if you are concerned about LIDAR.
mphatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST