BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
derric
Private First Class
2
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Clicking sound is back....

The engine clicking sound led to a new crank shaft and main bearings being installed on my 09 E90 a few months ago. Car seemed fine and then the other day I noticed the same clicking sound is back. It seems to also happen some when you let off the throttle, previously it seemed to only do it when stepping on the throttle. I am assuming it's the main bearings again which would be a huge disappointment. Anyone else have the sound come back?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Bananas92
Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

My clicking came back after the re-torquing of the plate that they do first. Do you get it fix again or get a new engine now?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,876
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas92 View Post
My clicking came back after the re-torquing of the plate that they do first. Do you get it fix again or get a new engine now?
Re-torquing the plate did absolutely nothing on my car. Getting the crankshaft/bearings replaced on my car any day now. The parts were on backorder for over a month.

I really hope this doesn't become a reoccurring issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Bananas92
Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Re-torquing the plate did absolutely nothing on my car. Getting the crankshaft/bearings replaced on my car any day now. The parts were on backorder for over a month.

I really hope this doesn't become a reoccurring issue.
That sucks, guess I will be out of the M for a while.

It could be worse though, imagine dealing with this out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
80
Rep
4,910
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derric View Post
The engine clicking sound led to a new crank shaft and main bearings being installed on my 09 E90 a few months ago.
How many miles since the fix? And how many miles before the fix? Sorry to hear that man. So they just repaired your engine? Did it come out, or was the job done under the car? Just curious. I'd demand a new engine now if it's the same issue. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
kouhii
Private
0
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (0)

It has come back for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
derric
Private First Class
2
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

It's probably been apx 3K miles since the crank was replaced. Engine leaking oil as well.. Kouii oh man your engine I thought was doing so good too sorry to hear it came back as well. I may ask for a new motor or a buy back at this point. I love the car but this is becoming a hassle car has been in the shop 10+% of the time I've owned it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
derric
Private First Class
2
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I think it must still be the bearings because unless I was deaf when I first got back, the sound seemed to have left. Maybe the rotating of the bearing wore down the actual slot that the bearing sits on? Not sure..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
kouhii
Private
0
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (0)

derric, the clicking sound is really audible on hot days but on cold days I do not hear it. The behavior is different compared to before.

Before when I drove the car at 25mph in the highest gear possible with the oil temperature needle at 170C the clicking sound is still audible, now it is not audible under this condition (even on hot days or oil temperature at 210C).

Now the sound is not audible until the needle is right in between 170C and 210C when the car is idle or driving at a low speed on hot days.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
JDy80
Captain
JDy80's Avatar
China
28
Rep
778
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to JDy80
Does anyone have video or audio of the clicking sound?
__________________


2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Scary notion. I wonder how common this is? Seems to have no bearing on year.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
elmariachi
Major
elmariachi's Avatar
48
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M Division
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

Fuck! I can't believe BMW still has issues with main bearings from 2008. I had my some problems with my engine that was refused to be warranted due to my intervention in the ECU taking off the speed limiter only. That's fine. I rebuilt it using much stronger parts like liners and ceramic coated bearings. I would have thought BMW would have done something about it and they already changed the part numbers on the 2008 main bearings suggesting newer ones. I can't believe they are still failing. I have discussed this before in my rebuild thread. I would blame the oil pumps. Simply because they are not creating enought pressure to lubricate the engine. Couple that with hot weather and it becomes worse.

I hope you get yours fixed guys....
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Bananas92
Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Fuck! I can't believe BMW still has issues with main bearings from 2008. I had my some problems with my engine that was refused to be warranted due to my intervention in the ECU taking off the speed limiter only. That's fine. I rebuilt it using much stronger parts like liners and ceramic coated bearings. I would have thought BMW would have done something about it and they already changed the part numbers on the 2008 main bearings suggesting newer ones. I can't believe they are still failing. I have discussed this before in my rebuild thread. I would blame the oil pumps. Simply because they are not creating enought pressure to lubricate the engine. Couple that with hot weather and it becomes worse.

I hope you get yours fixed guys....
Just curious, what oil pumps did you replace the old ones with? Oem?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Diavel Tom's Avatar
0
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

As I mention in another thread, BMW told my dealership that it was the oil pump making the noise....normal noise in other words. I just wanted to have something on paper from them in case things go south.

We shall see....but when her warranty runs out, so does her time with me.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
armorrig
Brigadier General
armorrig's Avatar
33
Rep
3,268
Posts

 
Drives: Tamiya
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So.Cal.

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Does anyone have video or audio of the clicking sound?
+1

would help a lot...

I had concerns about my engine noise as well after getting the car to full operating temperature... I made a thread about it and found that it's normal engine noise (injectors...and also the clutch chug in neutral).
__________________

Last edited by armorrig; 10-06-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
derric
Private First Class
2
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
+1

would help a lot...

I had concerns about my engine noise as well after getting the car to full operating temperature... I made a thread about it and found that it's normal engine noise (injectors...and also the clutch chug in neutral).
Just search for m3 clicking there are a bunch of videos
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
elmariachi
Major
elmariachi's Avatar
48
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M Division
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas92 View Post
Just curious, what oil pumps did you replace the old ones with? Oem?
Its a custom oil pump with rebuilt bearings and cogs inside. Housing is still BMW but internally its all changed.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
JB_Vert
Private
United_States
2
Rep
58
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

It seems to me that if the problem returns after the replacement shaft and bearings, then there is probably something else wrong. The housing for the crankshaft and bearings may be out of alignment, for example. I've heard people insist that when bearings and shaft have to be replaced, you're wasting your time if you don't also check the housing / engine block. In other words, something is likely causing them to fail other than simply weak bearings.

JB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #19
elmariachi
Major
elmariachi's Avatar
48
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M Division
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Vert View Post
It seems to me that if the problem returns after the replacement shaft and bearings, then there is probably something else wrong. The housing for the crankshaft and bearings may be out of alignment, for example. I've heard people insist that when bearings and shaft have to be replaced, you're wasting your time if you don't also check the housing / engine block. In other words, something is likely causing them to fail other than simply weak bearings.

JB
Ditto. Which is why more than a handful who had replaced their crank bearings had their sound return after a while as there are other parts that should have been changed but was not changed.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Diavel Tom's Avatar
0
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

I'm sure someone has asked the question, but are there any documented engine failures due to this issue?

Mine has been ticking for over 8000 miles now, and the engine seems to be just fine....and I am not shy about wringing the thing out.

It is cooling down here in Houston, and I have noticed that the ticking has indeed decreased in frequency.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #21
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
39
Rep
2,332
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

The ticking you guys are hearing is most likely valvetrain noise and injector noise.

I would love to be able to hear your M3's in person to confirm my suspicion. Noise from crank/main bearings is pretty unmistakable and more of a knocking than a ticking/clicking. My 2011 M3 also has a clicking noise at idle however it is faint and I have been able to confirm that it is valvetrain noise. If you guys actually had main bearing noise it would get worse over time and it wouldn't be intermittent. Eventually the sound would turn into a grinding noise and oil pressure would start to drop off enough that the oil pressure warning would turn on at idle.

*****If any of you people end up getting your engine replaced or crank/bearings replaced, do us all a favour and get some pictures of the old bearing shells and crankshaft if at all possible. If it is indeed bearing noise the bearing shells and crankshaft journals would definitely confirm it.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
Bananas92
Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The ticking you guys are hearing is most likely valvetrain noise and injector noise.

I would love to be able to hear your M3's in person to confirm my suspicion. Noise from crank/main bearings is pretty unmistakable and more of a knocking than a ticking/clicking. My 2011 M3 also has a clicking noise at idle however it is faint and I have been able to confirm that it is valvetrain noise. If you guys actually had main bearing noise it would get worse over time and it wouldn't be intermittent. Eventually the sound would turn into a grinding noise and oil pressure would start to drop off enough that the oil pressure warning would turn on at idle.

*****If any of you people end up getting your engine replaced or crank/bearings replaced, do us all a favour and get some pictures of the old bearing shells and crankshaft if at all possible. If it is indeed bearing noise the bearing shells and crankshaft journals would definitely confirm it.
I had the clicking and it was the bearings. I only had time to take a single picture of the bearings and not the crank. I got the car back and it definitely feels like it has been fixed. I do not hear the clicking and the engine revs sound/feel is slightly different. It could be all in my head though. I'll post the picture later.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST