BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

OneEighty

11-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #45
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkcaptain View Post
Powder coat does not sustain the heat also, if the car is tracked (see pictures).
After 1 day with 40 laps on the North Loop the coating came off
I tested this option also and went to matte ceramic coat, which also looked better on my frozen grey At this time the only reliable options are regular and polished tips like they come from the factory

I would likely believe this was due to emissions, not heat.
      11-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #46
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Can we figure this out? I'd like to know if this happens to powdercoated tips because if yes, then that means I am going regular Ti tips...
      11-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #47
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Can we figure this out? I'd like to know if this happens to powdercoated tips because if yes, then that means I am going regular Ti tips...
The 135 comes from BMW with PC'd tips - I'd like to believe we would see more issues (as well as higher temps) on those platforms before the M3.

Looking at the picture - it seems the PC has only burnt from the inside - where emissions were expelled. If thermal blemishes were indeed an issue, it would not only be subjected to the inside of the tips only.
      11-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #48
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The 135 comes from BMW with PC'd tips - I'd like to believe we would see more issues (as well as higher temps) on those platforms before the M3.

Looking at the picture - it seems the PC has only burnt from the inside - where emissions were expelled. If thermal blemishes were indeed an issue, it would not only be subjected to the inside of the tips only.
I am not familiar with the the issues (if any) of that exhaust. From your recollection, have you seen any problems with those exhaust tips within the 1er crowd?
      11-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #49
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
I am not familiar with the the issues (if any) of that exhaust. From your recollection, have you seen any problems with those exhaust tips within the 1er crowd?
Zero.
      11-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #50
Checkcaptain
Captain
Germany
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E92

Send a message via MSN to Checkcaptain Send a message via Skype™ to Checkcaptain
If you call 12 sets a few...

Maybe you have a better powdercoater or did not track about 1.000km on 1 day - anyway it was powdercoat
It never happens on the street, only heavy track usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Renn-Spec View Post
My information is correct and comes directly from Akrapovic. What you have is one of the few that Akrapovic did make. As for powdercoating, that doesn't look like the way powdercoating looks when it deteriorates. It usually flakes off rather than "burn" off. We have powdercoated many exhaust systems before and never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #51
Checkcaptain
Captain
Germany
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E92

Send a message via MSN to Checkcaptain Send a message via Skype™ to Checkcaptain
Quote:

Tom, if you have a keen eye on it you will see that the tips surface became rough on the outside also. That is also the reason, why the CF tips were not released yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #52
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S

Quote:

Hi Tom,

The insides will also be the hottest, as with any double walled tip. This looks like thermal failure of the powdercoating to me. I bet it was just the wrong process... most PC is done at a relatively low temperature (400 degrees or so) so won't work well on exhaust parts. High temperature coatings are available and are similar to powdercoating but wouldn't be the same as powdercoating something like wheels that isn't expected to get as hot as an exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #53
MRE90M3
"its baby blue m3 to you sir."
United_States
Rep

Drives: Silverstone Metallic II

Send a message via AIM to MRE90M3 Send a message via MSN to MRE90M3 Send a message via Skype™ to MRE90M3
i GOT RPi V2 up for sale =)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #54
fatpanda
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3 E90

hi guys, just got my akra evo with polished tips... looks great! Sounds nice too not as loud & doesnt drone as much as just a standard aftermarket catback.

Low end below 2k rpm i noticed some torque loss or hesitation via butt dyno at certain situations. Downshift blips are addictive!

Coldstart is bassy & pretty loud. Quality is superb like japanese exhaust standard
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #55
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E90 M3

Afraid GT4 system is going to be quiet to me

Hello, I traded my M5 in for a M3. I the first thing I did to the shiny new M5 was have section 1, 2 and Eisenmann race cans installed and Dinan stage 3 suspension. Now I have a new pallet to work with.... I wanted the same exhaust set up but was told and also read here that it will be too loud. The M5 had cats in the header and was longer and better insulated, plus it had a different tone all together from the V10.

I hear clips of most of the offered exhausts and by the clips, E-Race and Gintani are the notes to my liking and the Akra is too mellow. I am into audio and I know first hand you can not judge sound by a Youtube clip so I ask...

Will the full GT4 system will be at least as loud as just the E-Race can with the stock cats and resonators? By the available clips it is hard to tell.

Thanks,
Lou
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #56
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

Send a message via AIM to bavarianx
love the satin finish...

Appreciate 0