BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2017, 04:32 AM   #1
hpat
Private
14
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: MTA
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Changing engine oil grade for the winter?

Just wanted to get an idea of how many actually switch to a thinner viscosity during the winters?

Thoughts on this video below?

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
undecided
Captain
undecided's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
955
Posts

Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Pour test at 10min 30.

I personally use 0w-40 in the winter.....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
Mvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
67
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: GA Peach

iTrader: (0)

I wonder how many people with M3s actually dont garage them and leave them outside where the oil gets cold enough to make any difference at start up. Even on the coldest days here my car rarely gets below 50 degrees in the winter due to my garage so in my case I have always doubted changing oil weight due to weather is really necessary.
__________________

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, aFe stage two airbox, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
bigjae1976
Major General
bigjae1976's Avatar
262
Rep
6,602
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wichita, KS

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
It gets cold here in Wichita...I run 0w-40 from Oct to Mar.
__________________
2015 F34 328iX GT Glacier Silver
2011 E90 M3 Monte Carlo Blue
2004 E46 M3 Imola Red
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
TomHudson
Second Lieutenant
60
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I switch from 10w60 to 10w60..

...oh, wait...
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
bmwfst1
Pwrdbym
bmwfst1's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: red 2010 bmwm3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: maryland

iTrader: (0)

I think most people don't garage them. Because most people have crappie in there garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
376
Rep
1,602
Posts

Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92, 12 X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

On the E92 I only use 10W60. It is stored for winter

On the E90 which sees some winter use I use 10W60 in winter as well as it has the BE bearings.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
306
Rep
3,818
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

I use 0W40 year round. No track. If I change my bearings for a second time in a few years to ones with added clearance, I would go back to 10W60, or if I tracked the car I would consider using it during the track season.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
56
Rep
421
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (2)

Non M3 insight, but, I never changed the weight of my oil on my GTI. Was parked outside during the winters too in Toronto, never had an issue at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
JRV
Captain
United_States
41
Rep
820
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

I use 5w-50 all year round.
__________________
'11 Black/Black GLK350 (Wife)
'02 Lexus RX300 (My beater)
'11 Loaded AW Fox Red/Black/Black Carbon Leather ZCP E90 M3 (Halloween Delivery)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
139
Rep
2,638
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
Non M3 insight, but, I never changed the weight of my oil on my GTI. Was parked outside during the winters too in Toronto, never had an issue at all.
That is because your GTI specs a 5W oil which is not nearly as bad as a 10W in the cold months. With T.O.'s winter temperatures a 5W is fine, besides, VW engines don't run oil clearances nearly as tight as BMW.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
Adenau
Colonel
Adenau's Avatar
United_States
414
Rep
2,121
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Auto Tuning House

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
No. I honestly don't see the point. BMW ///M tests all their cars in all environments. If they spec a 10w60, that's what you should use.
__________________
2008 E90, JB/FR 6MT
Insta: schwarz_m3

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
306
Rep
3,818
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Even with bmw clearance bearings?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #14
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
419
Rep
4,147
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

LMFAO, a funnel pour test? What does that even prove? Oil is pumped out of the pan, it isn't poured out. There is an actual pumpability test which represents how engines really work. See below explanation:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1836257
__________________
2011.5 M3 sedan FOR SALE!
2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #15
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
306
Rep
3,818
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Years ago I think Mobil 1 showed a freezer test. Not sure what oil it was against but think it was dino oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #16
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
139
Rep
2,638
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
LMFAO, a funnel pour test? What does that even prove? Oil is pumped out of the pan, it isn't poured out. There is an actual pumpability test which represents how engines really work. See below explanation:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1836257
If it can't be poured easily, it is harder to pump. That is what it proves.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
Adenau
Colonel
Adenau's Avatar
United_States
414
Rep
2,121
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Auto Tuning House

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm still waiting for someone to show the community, clear unbiased information regarding environmental temp and bearing wear. To my knowledge there isn't any correlation between the two. Colder oil is thicker, but no one has proven this creates or accelerates bearing wear. You can go ahead and speculate all you want, until someone shows clear evidence that colder weather increases wear with 10w60, there is absolutely no reason to switch oils in colder weather.
__________________
2008 E90, JB/FR 6MT
Insta: schwarz_m3

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #18
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
306
Rep
3,818
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

There is the general concepts that 10W60 is thicker than 0W40 and that in winter any oil pours more slowly than when warm. And there is a general concern that stock bearing clearance is on the tight side.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #19
Adenau
Colonel
Adenau's Avatar
United_States
414
Rep
2,121
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Auto Tuning House

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
There is the general concepts that 10W60 is thicker than 0W40 and that in winter any oil pours more slowly than when warm. And there is a general concern that stock bearing clearance is on the tight side.
But there is zero evidence to prove that 10w60 is too thick for proper lubrication during winter temps. Everyone who switches does so because the internet told them too... no other reason at all. There is zero evidence that 0w40 helps in any way.
__________________
2008 E90, JB/FR 6MT
Insta: schwarz_m3

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #20
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
80
Rep
1,761
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///M View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to show the community, clear unbiased information regarding environmental temp and bearing wear. To my knowledge there isn't any correlation between the two. Colder oil is thicker, but no one has proven this creates or accelerates bearing wear. You can go ahead and speculate all you want, until someone shows clear evidence that colder weather increases wear with 10w60, there is absolutely no reason to switch oils in colder weather.
Plenty of oil analysis showed reduce lead/copper when the switch to 0w40 is made regardless of ambient temp. They are all in the oil analysis thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #21
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
306
Rep
3,818
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///M View Post
But there is zero evidence to prove that 10w60 is too thick for proper lubrication during winter temps. Everyone who switches does so because the internet told them too... no other reason at all. There is zero evidence that 0w40 helps in any way.
I have observed that, along with people changing to extra clearance rod bearings. What bearings did you use when you changed?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #22
Adenau
Colonel
Adenau's Avatar
United_States
414
Rep
2,121
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Auto Tuning House

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have observed that, along with people changing to extra clearance rod bearings. What bearings did you use when you changed?
VAC (Calico) bearings. I don't believe putting thinner bearings is gonna fix anything. Thinner oil may be better for extreme cold starts, but it's not gonna have the same load bearing capacity at full operating temps like the 10w60. Which is crucial to this engine survival. Without it, the bearings will shear the oil film and make contact with the crankshaft, leading to engine failure.


Note: If the oil analysis shows any copper in the system, the bearings are already toast and need to be changed. The reduced lead and copper counts in the 0w40 samples proves nothing to me. You can't rely on blackstone for your argument. There have been many reports of clean OA reports being followed by engine failure shortly after. I'm in the distorted rod bore camp. That's my theory as to why the bearings wear prematurely. Not actual oil clearance, but distorted rod bores creating metal to bearing contact under load. Something that is fixed with new bolts torqued to the proper spec, with correct clamp load values on the rod end.
__________________
2008 E90, JB/FR 6MT
Insta: schwarz_m3


Last edited by Adenau; 01-28-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST