BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,783
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

Alternative Options....?

Okay, as of now, I really want an E92 M3. If its as goos as I hope it will be then I will buy one. However, if I have to pay close to 70K or more to get my hands on one then I may have to resort to other options. So here is my question?

What would you buy with around 55-60K that is new or close to new? A car that you wouldnt feel totally compelled to modify except for maybe a new set of wheels?

This is what I have come up with:

-335i with Msport package- probably will be around 46-48K.
-S4-fully loaded with DTM aerokit is around 55K
-2006 M3 CS also probably around 55K (although beautiful its already outdated which is the same thing that happened when I bought my E36. I dont really want to go through the regret of buying a car that has already been replaced)


Let me know what you guys would do, plant to do...

I am leaning towards the S4 given that I can get it with pretty much every option and still be below 55k. It has 340Hp, although its heavy, it sounds great, looks sexy for a 4door, and lots of room....

Jason
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
607
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Okay, as of now, I really want an E92 M3. If its as goos as I hope it will be then I will buy one. However, if I have to pay close to 70K or more to get my hands on one then I may have to resort to other options. So here is my question?

What would you buy with around 55-60K that is new or close to new? A car that you wouldnt feel totally compelled to modify except for maybe a new set of wheels?

This is what I have come up with:

-335i with Msport package- probably will be around 46-48K.
-S4-fully loaded with DTM aerokit is around 55K
-2006 M3 CS also probably around 55K (although beautiful its already outdated which is the same thing that happened when I bought my E36. I dont really want to go through the regret of buying a car that has already been replaced)


Let me know what you guys would do, plant to do...

I am leaning towards the S4 given that I can get it with pretty much every option and still be below 55k. It has 340Hp, although its heavy, it sounds great, looks sexy for a 4door, and lots of room....

Jason
Hello!

I would choose the 335i. It's a great car with a great engine (maybe the best BMW AG ever made for a non M) and a pretty good handling.
The S4 has the advantage of the V8, but it's heavy, not as fast as the 335 and it needs more gas. The main reason against the S4 is that a new A4 is coming in fall. So you have an outdated car in 8 month.
M3 is the car with best handling, but it's the old model it's more expensive referring the cost of ownership and it's not that faster than a 335i.

So my choose (besides the new M3) would be the 335i (i would prefer the E92 anyway).

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
ROAD EAGLE
Private
0
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 530I
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SAN ANTONIO,TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 Z4  [0.00]
How about a used M5 with about 20k on it? I think that's a good option. They are going around $65-70,000. If the M3 is around that price new, I might consider a used M5.More practical.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,942
Posts

 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD EAGLE View Post
How about a used M5 with about 20k on it? I think that's a good option. They are going around $65-70,000. If the M3 is around that price new, I might consider a used M5.More practical.
For me, practicality has no place in my decision. I am patiently awaiting a well priced, reasonable weight, high BHP, M3. I recently sold my 997 Turbo so I need a ride for the summer.

With that said, I bought a very low mileage 2006 SLK 55 AMG. Well priced, lots of horsepower, sexy, and a (hard) drop top to boot. I know, it's not a purist car, but I didn't buy it for that. It is an interim car until the M or something better arrives.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,942
Posts

 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Hello!

I would choose the 335i. It's a great car with a great engine (maybe the best BMW AG ever made for a non M) and a pretty good handling.
The S4 has the advantage of the V8, but it's heavy, not as fast as the 335 and it needs more gas. The main reason against the S4 is that a new A4 is coming in fall. So you have an outdated car in 8 month.
M3 is the car with best handling, but it's the old model it's more expensive referring the cost of ownership and it's not that faster than a 335i.

So my choose (besides the new M3) would be the 335i (i would prefer the E92 anyway).

Best regards, south

The new S4 will follow later,, like in 18 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
coaster
Private First Class
coaster's Avatar
4
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I am leaning towards the S4 given that I can get it with pretty much every option and still be below 55k. It has 340Hp, although its heavy, it sounds great, looks sexy for a 4door, and lots of room....

Jason
jason,

The S4 has been outperformed by the Lexus IS-350.

You don't want to go there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
jtown
Lieutenant
jtown's Avatar
12
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

I guarantee the new M3 will be at least 70 out the door.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Smoltz
Lieutenant
5
Rep
464
Posts

 
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Live Free or Die

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Okay, as of now, I really want an E92 M3. If its as goos as I hope it will be then I will buy one. However, if I have to pay close to 70K or more to get my hands on one then I may have to resort to other options. So here is my question?

What would you buy with around 55-60K that is new or close to new? A car that you wouldnt feel totally compelled to modify except for maybe a new set of wheels?

This is what I have come up with:

-335i with Msport package- probably will be around 46-48K.
-S4-fully loaded with DTM aerokit is around 55K
-2006 M3 CS also probably around 55K (although beautiful its already outdated which is the same thing that happened when I bought my E36. I dont really want to go through the regret of buying a car that has already been replaced)


Let me know what you guys would do, plant to do...

I am leaning towards the S4 given that I can get it with pretty much every option and still be below 55k. It has 340Hp, although its heavy, it sounds great, looks sexy for a 4door, and lots of room....

Jason

Simple. Wait till the M3 comes out and pricing is announced. Decide then.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

 
Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
Simple. Wait till the M3 comes out and pricing is announced. Decide then.

-Adam
That's what I am doing. I love to shop for cars, it's the fun part. I want to know the price and performance specs of the new M3 before I let anything else tempt me. Of course, I did buy a Z4MCoupe last summer "in the meantime"
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,942
Posts

 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown View Post
I guarantee the new M3 will be at least 70 out the door.
I'll bet against that. Very well equipped, without going crazy, under $70k, imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
replicat
Lieutenant
9
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 40MPG
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

I know its a bit of a strech for the euro purists but the New 2008 R36 Skyline GT-R is supposed to be: 3.8 V6 Twin Turbo 450HP, Under 3400 lbs, All new ATTESA-ETS AWD system (shits on any AWD system on the planet, up to 100% of power to Rear Wheels when needed) And suspension tuned by Lotus.

And is estimated to price in at $55KUS

Release is Spring 2008, this car will be no joke. I know its a Nissan yadda, yadda, but it will absolutely obliterate the competition. There are lots videos of it testing on the Nurburgring with a 997 911 Turbo testing with it, Nissan has that 997 T as the target car to outperform, less than half the price.

Do it! Pete.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
heezyo2o
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2005
Location: so cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicat View Post
I
And is estimated to price in at $55KUS
Really? I thought the GTR was projected to be around $70-80K.

$55K would be a nice surprise. You never know though. I remember reading reports of how the Audi R8 was going to around $80K, but it's base price wound up being 100K.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 02:48 AM   #13
SpencerM3
Sauce
SpencerM3's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
2,026
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

I persoanlly don't think that the E92 M3 will be over $70K, regardless it's pretty safe to assume that you will be able to find one under $70K.

If that is the car you really want, why settle for something lesser to save you $5K or so

Get the E92 M3, don't settle
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #14
edgarj
Captain
edgarj's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: 335i e92, PROcede, Eisen-fake
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Tennessee via PDX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD EAGLE View Post
How about a used M5 with about 20k on it? I think that's a good option. They are going around $65-70,000. If the M3 is around that price new, I might consider a used M5.More practical.
Really, apples to oranges. The M5 is a dream, but it is a 4100lb 4 door gas-happy super-sedan. A used V10 M5 with 50% waranty.. practical... is this a joke? I'd go with a loaded 335i (and pocket $25K+) with full warranty and tons of headroom for performance mods If I was looking for a "practical" sports car. I really don't think that a used M5, 08 M3, RS4, or 335i coupe are even competing for >5% of the market simultaneously. IMHO, the M5 is totally fugly too. Love the wheelsand front air-dam, but the 5 hit every branch on the Bangle tree. The new M3 will be much easier on the eye.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 03:32 AM   #15
replicat
Lieutenant
9
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 40MPG
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

I have heard two things 6.6 million yen and 7 million yen in Japan. So either way its under $63KUS
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 05:50 AM   #16
Robert
Major General
116
Rep
6,902
Posts

 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Okay, as of now, I really want an E92 M3. If its as goos as I hope it will be then I will buy one. However, if I have to pay close to 70K or more to get my hands on one then I may have to resort to other options. So here is my question?

What would you buy with around 55-60K that is new or close to new? A car that you wouldnt feel totally compelled to modify except for maybe a new set of wheels?

This is what I have come up with:

-335i with Msport package- probably will be around 46-48K.
-S4-fully loaded with DTM aerokit is around 55K
-2006 M3 CS also probably around 55K (although beautiful its already outdated which is the same thing that happened when I bought my E36. I dont really want to go through the regret of buying a car that has already been replaced)


Let me know what you guys would do, plant to do...

I am leaning towards the S4 given that I can get it with pretty much every option and still be below 55k. It has 340Hp, although its heavy, it sounds great, looks sexy for a 4door, and lots of room....

Jason
dont forget porsche cayman s and elise if you can forego rear seats
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
bmargolis's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
201
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central CT & Newport, RI

iTrader: (1)

You're in a bit if a vacuum for what you want for a car. There is very little, if anything in the market that fits that description.

As other have said, the S4 is getting trounced (performance) by everything but a well driven Hyundai. Obviously you don't want to pay 70+ for an M3, which is certainly where they will be. E46 M3's were at about 60 with a few options.

The 335i is a hell of a car. If you do a chip (Vishnu) and an exhaust, you can add 100HP. That's serious power, and WAY quicker than the E46 M3.

Other than that, you have to look Japanese, which I assume does not interest you.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #18
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,942
Posts

 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmargolis View Post
You're in a bit if a vacuum for what you want for a car. There is very little, if anything in the market that fits that description.

As other have said, the S4 is getting trounced (performance) by everything but a well driven Hyundai. Obviously you don't want to pay 70+ for an M3, which is certainly where they will be. E46 M3's were at about 60 with a few options.

The 335i is a hell of a car. If you do a chip (Vishnu) and an exhaust, you can add 100HP. That's serious power, and WAY quicker than the E46 M3.

Other than that, you have to look Japanese, which I assume does not interest you.

Bob
You make many valid points, however, M3 coupes were not $60k "with a few options". They might have been close or even slightly above, if loaded with excessive options. Even with Premium package, 19" wheels, HK, Park control, Xenons, Aluminum Trim and Nav., they were less than $60k (MSRP). I don't even think that adding SMG would top $60k for that car.

On another note, I too, think that the M5 is hideous.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #19
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
bmargolis's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
201
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central CT & Newport, RI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
You make many valid points, however, M3 coupes were not $60k "with a few options". They might have been close or even slightly above, if loaded with excessive options. Even with Premium package, 19" wheels, HK, Park control, Xenons, Aluminum Trim and Nav., they were less than $60k (MSRP). I don't even think that adding SMG would top $60k for that car.

On another note, I too, think that the M5 is hideous.
I was considering an M3 Competition Coupe before I ordered my 335i E92. It had Nav, SMG, and little else. It did not have power seats or premium. It did NOT even have Xenon lights. (which was nearly a deal breaker for me) It was right around 60k and the dealer was not really willing to do too much on the price, as they were getting hard to find in August, when I was looking.

My 335i stickers at a smidge under 50k, pretty loaded. I figure, using some past experience logic that BMW's going to MSRP the M3 at about 63k. Once a few things are added in, it can get close to 70k, not even considering the "premuim" that they will ask for at least the first six months. That makes the car nearly impossible to get at MSRP until close to 2009.

As everyone else, I'm guessing. I would love to have an E92 M3 for $63k with everything that I want in a car, I just don't know if that will ever happen.


Bob
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #20
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
22
Rep
1,330
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heezyo2o View Post
Really? I thought the GTR was projected to be around $70-80K.

$55K would be a nice surprise. You never know though. I remember reading reports of how the Audi R8 was going to around $80K, but it's base price wound up being 100K.
I've been following the GT-R pretty closely, estimates of price started around $55K base about a year ago and now we're seeing estimates of $70K and above.

Personally, I think there are alot of exciting cars coming out in the $50-75K est range. The GT-R, C63, M3, even the new CTS-V all come to mind. Add to that slightly used cars such as AMG63's and perhaps even M5's in a year, and the option to buy/mod a 335i for less than $50K and buy an Elise as your fun car...Oh, 1 more thing to add...if the Tesla Sedan comes out in a couple of years and performs like the Roadster...

Thus, I have a 335i with/pending mods now, and if/when something comes out that blows it away for my set of criteria, I'll sell it and move to that!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #21
replicat
Lieutenant
9
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 40MPG
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

Well said, this segment is tough to shop in, I can't imagine how hard it must be actually design and sell the cars.

But at this point I think that whatever car that is appealing to me at the time of summer '08 I will take and these so far include...

*2008/9 BMW E92 M3 if I can get one with all fees and a couple of options for under $70KUS

*2008 Nissan Skyline GT-R, whatever trim they bring over here thats $70KUS

*2008 Porsche Cayman, buy LSD and tune mildly.

*Last but not least 2008 M coupe if they out a different motor in it.

PS. I just found out that the GT-R will be available In 7spd Dual Clutch Gearbox...confirmed by multiple sources on the net.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #22
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
17
Rep
1,507
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicat View Post
Well said, this segment is tough to shop in, I can't imagine how hard it must be actually design and sell the cars.

But at this point I think that whatever car that is appealing to me at the time of summer '08 I will take and these so far include...

*2008/9 BMW E92 M3 if I can get one with all fees and a couple of options for under $70KUS

*2008 Nissan Skyline GT-R, whatever trim they bring over here thats $70KUS

*2008 Porsche Cayman, buy LSD and tune mildly.

*Last but not least 2008 M coupe if they out a different motor in it.

PS. I just found out that the GT-R will be available In 7spd Dual Clutch Gearbox...confirmed by multiple sources on the net.
HOLY !@#$?!
7SPEED DUAL CLUTCH GEARBOX?!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST