BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6762
Rep
16,684
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Audi RS 4 pricing, will be interesting to see how M3's pricing will compare

4/13/06 -

Audi announced pricing today for the highly anticipated 2007 RS 4 sport sedan. Upon its launch in June, the RS 4 will have a base price of $66,000, not including a $720 destination and $2,100 gas-guzzler charge.

A 4.2-liter direct injection V8 FSI engine produces an astounding 420 hp at 7800 rpm, and 317 ft.-lbs. of torque at 6000 rpm. This high-revving V8, in conjunction with a standard six-speed manual transmission and quattro all-wheel drive with a rear-based dynamic asymmetrical torque split, allows the RS 4 to run from 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds. Standard 19-inch alloy wheels with 255/35 performance tires, a sport suspension with Dynamic Ride Control (DRC), and a 1.5-inch wider track than S4 ensure that the RS 4 handles well, too. There will be one option package for the 2007 RS 4. The $4,700 Premium Package includes DVD Navigation and a six-disc CD changer, Homelink, auto dimming mirrors, driverís side seat and mirror memory, rain sensor, upgraded Bose audio, Sirius satellite radio, Bluetooth, heated rear seats, and power sun shades. Rear side air bags are a stand alone option for $350.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Reckamech
Master of Disaster
Reckamech's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: GLI Jetta (4 now) & Merc R350
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas,TX

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Reckamech
Before I saw this this post I was over at audiusa.com and I saw the build your own RS4 option. I quickly built it and it came out to $71,000 . I figured I gotta go make this known over on the E90/91 m3 board then I saw this post. I am thinking this can't be good news for us and the new M3. I am beginning to think the M3 will base around 68 or $69,000. Everyone better start saving their pennies. With that being said I think the M3 will be a Killer
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
greatfox
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 1991 GTI 16v
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

the RS6 was more than the last M5. The RS cars are priced higher. The S cars are intended to compete with the M cars while the RS cars are intended to be "higher in performance". We all know though that the M3 will spank the rs4 and be cheaper at the same time...

Compare the e36 m3 in europe to the b5 RS4. The RS4 was way more money but offered a higher performance envelope (380 hp vs. 321 for the m3)

Don't worry guys, the M3 will probably msrp around 54k in the US. Although that will be before options (and is an 8k increase on the e46 m3).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Mark
Administrator
Mark's Avatar
United_States
1889
Rep
4,012
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Surprisingly the speculation put the price of the RS4 much much higher, so this is a pretty good price. I think the M3 will come in at just under the price of the Rs4 just based on the fact that the E90 (non-M) didn't rise much over the E46 so I expect the M3 versions to do the same (maybee rise 4-5% at the most which is industry standard now a days)
__________________
I'll take one please. BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
NavNurs's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
308
Posts

 
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

I currently have a deposit down and was quoted a 5% increase. Who knows if my rep has valid info? BTW here are some "unofficial" pics he sent. Enjoy



Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
KennyL
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNurs
I currently have a deposit down and was quoted a 5% increase. Who knows if my rep has valid info? BTW here are some "unofficial" pics he sent. Enjoy



Nav: Congratulations on being on the list for the new car. Make sure to share pics with us when you get it!!

As for your dealer, he doesn't seem to know much because those pictures are very very old concept sketches... actually the real m3 wil look nothing like that
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
Levit
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


good price for this level of performance, years ago that kind of performance would have cost 100s of thousands. good times for cars (if gas prices dont keep rising)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
EVO_S4
Colonel
EVO_S4's Avatar
45
Rep
2,200
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TN

iTrader: (28)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.12]
RS4 is hot, til we get the real pics of how the M3 look like its hard to compare
__________________
2013 Lexus RX350 F-Sport
2015 Subaru WRX STI
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Damager
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_S4
RS4 is hot, til we get the real pics of how the M3 look like its hard to compare
Rs4 is hot, no doubt in my mind about that (especially after seeing a red one at the autoshow). But the M3 will outperform and outstyle it, just by looking at the current M5 vs. Rs6 lineup
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: '06 Black Sapphire 330i e90
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kansas City, KS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levit
good times for cars (if gas prices dont keep rising)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6762
Rep
16,684
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNurs
I currently have a deposit down and was quoted a 5% increase. Who knows if my rep has valid info? BTW here are some "unofficial" pics he sent. Enjoy
Awesome, are you #1 on the list at your dealer? 5% increase wouldn't be bad at all!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
ase2dais's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
9,875
Posts

 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
RS4 hands down with those specs and pricing its a good alternative to the upcoming M3, at least its already here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
4/13/06 -

Audi announced pricing today for the highly anticipated 2007 RS 4 sport sedan. Upon its launch in June, the RS 4 will have a base price of $66,000, not including a $720 destination and $2,100 gas-guzzler charge.

A 4.2-liter direct injection V8 FSI engine produces an astounding 420 hp at 7800 rpm, and 317 ft.-lbs. of torque at 6000 rpm. This high-revving V8, in conjunction with a standard six-speed manual transmission and quattro all-wheel drive with a rear-based dynamic asymmetrical torque split, allows the RS 4 to run from 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds. Standard 19-inch alloy wheels with 255/35 performance tires, a sport suspension with Dynamic Ride Control (DRC), and a 1.5-inch wider track than S4 ensure that the RS 4 handles well, too. There will be one option package for the 2007 RS 4. The $4,700 Premium Package includes DVD Navigation and a six-disc CD changer, Homelink, auto dimming mirrors, driverís side seat and mirror memory, rain sensor, upgraded Bose audio, Sirius satellite radio, Bluetooth, heated rear seats, and power sun shades. Rear side air bags are a stand alone option for $350.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,650
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Hands down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
RS4 hands down with those specs and pricing its a good alternative to the upcoming M3, at least its already here!
420 hp and it manages to equal the current 333 hp M3's 0-60 time? It's a pig. And hp ratings say nothing about balance. The M3 has alway been way ahead of the Audis in this area. I will give credit to Audi for their interiors and Quattro, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
ase2dais
//Mdicted
ase2dais's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
9,875
Posts

 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
420 hp and it manages to equal the current 333 hp M3's 0-60 time? It's a pig. And hp ratings say nothing about balance. The M3 has alway been way ahead of the Audis in this area. I will give credit to Audi for their interiors and Quattro, though.
I never owned one, but thks for your insight. You do own an Audi I feel, ok fess up!
Still, I like to atleast maybe just drive one for myself
just to get the itch out of the anticipation that a similiar weight class car is in the works. It just blow me away just thinking about it! 420HP ! a little over a E39/M5, and the 5s are heavier cars, mind you!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,650
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
M3 vs. RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
I never owned one, but thks for your insight. You do own an Audi I feel, ok fess up!
Still, I like to atleast maybe just drive one for myself
just to get the inch out of the anticipation that a similiar weight class car is in the works. It just blow me away just thinking about it! 420HP ! a little over a E39/M5, and the 5s are heavier cars in mind you.
I have never owned an Audi, though I've driven a few. I have admired their styling (until the big grille came along), interior design and all-wheel drive. But the engine has always been hanging way forward, which screws up the balance, and theyve always been heavier than the 3-series.

Steps in the right direction for Audi are going naturally-aspirated instead of forced induction, and reducing weight with aluminum hood and fenders. If the quote I have read of 8.66 lb/hp is to be believed, that is very good. 0-60 in 4.8 is quoted on Audi's website, which is the same as the E46 M3. Interestingly, weight is quoted as n/a (like they don't know?)! Fuel mileage is also unreported on the website. Also, the fuel tank is only 16.6 gal, which is going to really limit range.

However, if the weight increase on the E92 M3 is controlled to less than 100 lb. it should be in the same power/weight range and I predict 0-60 in 4.5. The expected 50/50 weight balance will also outdo the Audi. And, I bet the base price is $10k less (though with comparable equipment, like heated seats and full leather, that difference will be less). Finally, remember BMW still has the full-maintenance plan, unlike Audi's first visit only free.

I currently have one of the early (5/01) M3s, and I pre-ordered my E92 M3 last year. The more competition BMW has, the better for everyone, I say. The RS4 will not be better or worse than the M3, just different. All depends on your priorities.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #16
schuyler
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I have never owned an Audi, though I've driven a few. I have admired their styling (until the big grille came along), interior design and all-wheel drive. But the engine has always been hanging way forward, which screws up the balance, and theyve always been heavier than the 3-series.

Steps in the right direction for Audi are going naturally-aspirated instead of forced induction, and reducing weight with aluminum hood and fenders. If the quote I have read of 8.66 lb/hp is to be believed, that is very good. 0-60 in 4.8 is quoted on Audi's website, which is the same as the E46 M3. Interestingly, weight is quoted as n/a (like they don't know?)! Fuel mileage is also unreported on the website. Also, the fuel tank is only 16.6 gal, which is going to really limit range.

However, if the weight increase on the E92 M3 is controlled to less than 100 lb. it should be in the same power/weight range and I predict 0-60 in 4.5. The expected 50/50 weight balance will also outdo the Audi. And, I bet the base price is $10k less (though with comparable equipment, like heated seats and full leather, that difference will be less). Finally, remember BMW still has the full-maintenance plan, unlike Audi's first visit only free.

I currently have one of the early (5/01) M3s, and I pre-ordered my E92 M3 last year. The more competition BMW has, the better for everyone, I say. The RS4 will not be better or worse than the M3, just different. All depends on your priorities.

That's a great breakdown of the RS4 against the upcoming M3 Enjoyed reading it as it is very logical and you've got me all hot and heavy for the e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 05:21 AM   #17
maxpagani
New Member
maxpagani's Avatar
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: M3 smgII
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
I never owned one, but thks for your insight. You do own an Audi I feel, ok fess up!
Still, I like to atleast maybe just drive one for myself
just to get the inch out of the anticipation that a similiar weight class car is in the works. It just blow me away just thinking about it! 420HP ! a little over a E39/M5, and the 5s are heavier cars in mind you.
quote quote and quote angain...that's all about it. These two cars are so different. My best friend has a s4 avant 4.2, compared to my m3 it's a totally different car, so less nervous and reactive but so much more versatile, it's a sport car dressed as a family car while the m3 it' s more like a race car dressed as sport car...I personally regret the choice of going for a big v8 on the new m3 losing a bit the philosophy of the old m3's lightweight, high rpm, "made for track" cars, but maybe increased size=increaded weight=big engine that's the way it goes...I just hope it wont be a super fast, super powerful highway cruiser like the M6. IMO M3 means more a 4 seats Porsche Carrera than a cheaper M6
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #18
gimpyviper
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Well one thing to remember about the New M-egines they may be big and be a V-config but they're fast, high reving and responsive. The S62 engine was a bit more of a traditional V-8 with grunt and growl but I think the new engines are just as free flowing and high-revving as the S54 engine is.

As for pricing, the base E46 M3 now goes for $48.9k. My guess is the base E92 M3 will go for between ~$55k and 60k depending on what options they include as standard. I personally hope they keep it like the current M3 where the car has a good amount of gadgetry and electronics base but you can add all the other options afterward. A fully loaded M3 will run around ~$60-65k now so I think a fully loaded E92 M3 will go for 10k more.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #19
PongY
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper
As for pricing, the base E46 M3 now goes for $48.9k. My guess is the base E92 M3 will go for between ~$55k and 60k depending on what options they include as standard. I personally hope they keep it like the current M3 where the car has a good amount of gadgetry and electronics base but you can add all the other options afterward. A fully loaded M3 will run around ~$60-65k now so I think a fully loaded E92 M3 will go for 10k more.
Agreed. I dunno if I could afford a 70k M3. I'll take a stripped down E92 M3 tho
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #20
timzerofive
there is no spoon
timzerofive's Avatar
38
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 330i manual
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Right now a fairly decently loaded M3 is about $55k and comes in just below $60k for fully loaded. Do you guys really think they'll up it by $10k?? I'm thinking fully loaded new one just below $65k. You can probably get a good one with most of the toys you want for around $62k. It'll probably hit $70k's if they have nice gagets like HUD or night vision packages.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #21
foofighter
Captain
foofighter's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
815
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Ford Flex EcoBoost
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The OC

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to foofighter
RS4
Curb Weight 3957 lb

M5
Curb Weight MT
4012

M3 CSL (we don't get)
Weight lb (kg): 3052 (1385)

M3
Curb Weight MT 3415

The RS4 is a great great for what it is and i'm not even sure if it really could be compared in the same light as the M3. The current M3 is just more visceral in its performance and characteristics where as someone else posted the S4 is more civilized with a mean bite.

I cant justify spending nearly 70k for a sedan that size...I'd save a bit more and buy a bigger V10 powered M5
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #22
kujo
Major
32
Rep
1,153
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

I've owned 3 Audi's over the last 2 years.

I was #1 on two waiting list for the 72K RS4.
I backed off and I'm awaiting the e90 M3.

They're nice cars, just have VERY poor customer service.
They also won't have matainence inlcuded.
AoA sucks a$$ and has NO f'n clue how to care for it's customers.

The RS4 will be priced in between the M3 and M5, I think.
With the guesstimated specs, seems the new M3 will slightly have the RS4, unless it's wet.

We'll see though....

kj
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST