BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #23
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
I was told the new alu v8s are actually lighter if not the same weight as the current gen i-6s ?

i guess we'll be in a wait and see mode

on the 5 series, the 530 is 320 lbs lighter than the 550

some of that is probably equipment(same reason 330 weighs more than 325), plus the M version of the V8 should be lighter than the 550 V8 due to no valvetronic

I really hope they do pull out the stops and go high tech to make the car light!!!
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2005, 03:15 PM   #24
Casey 5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i,SPG,ZSP,ZPP,Step
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)

MMMMMMMMMMMM3 will be bad ass....no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Casey 5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #25
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Hula-Hula's Avatar
 
Drives: ♥
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nürburgring

Posts: 1,971
iTrader: (0)

shit... the M3 will be extremly good.. It's not only about how much it weigh it's alot more than that to it.. oh well.. I just can't explain myself due the lack of english... I just think the M3:s are getting better and better nomather weight..
__________________
Hula-Hula is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #26
Papa13
Go Gators!
 
Papa13's Avatar
 
Drives: e82 / e90 / e53 / e46
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa / SoCal

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Okay here are some numbers for you.

E36 328i weighs 3125 - The E36 M3 weighs 3175.. Only 50 pounds more.

E46 328i weighs 3197 - The E46 M3 weighs 3219.. Only 22 pounds more.

E90 330i weights 3417 - the E90 M3 weighs ????.. But IMO will only be between 25 and 75 pounds heavier.

The E60 550i weighs 3844 - The E60 M5 weighs 3980. Thats 136 pounds.

But the M3 is bmw's real (sports car). So i think that it would not be to much heavier then the e90 330i. And plus it is going to have like 200 more hp. I think a couple pounds will be fine haha.

It does not matter what you all think the M3 will be on top of its class like it always is. The New M3 Can And Will Kick ASS...
__________________
M-tech 330i JB/TERRA modded - RIP
n54 135i AW/CR JB3 FBO 420rwhp 444rwtq - 11.5 sec 1/4 mile @ 122mph - RIP
e53 X5 4.8is M///BLUE/M///SUEDE - 357awhp 369awtq - The Snow Beast!
n54 135i JB/CR JB4 FBO - tc kline coilovers - 1/4 mile and dyno PENDING
Papa13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #27
E90-4life
auto pilot
 
E90-4life's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

The moment BMW releases an M3 concept(no doubt in my mind that they will) all of you will be urinating in your seats.
E90-4life is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #28
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
 
Ed_330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North America

Posts: 515
iTrader: (0)

oh i really hope it doesn't turn into a GT.
Ed_330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #29
E90-4life
auto pilot
 
E90-4life's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_330i
oh i really hope it doesn't turn into a GT.
that will be the day men start giving birth. NEVER. The M3 is the sports car (as the germans would say) for sports cars. The only real competitor to the M3 is the 911.
E90-4life is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #30
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: '14 W212 AMG S, '12 958 S
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,930
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
that will be the day men start giving birth. NEVER. The M3 is the sports car (as the germans would say) for sports cars. The only real competitor to the M3 is the 911.
you must be out of your mind. The m3 now and the newest edition on the m3 will not TOUCH the 911. Straight line? Possibly. Handling, Dynamics, weight, power? NO. What most BMW drivers dont understand is the porsche produces sports cars with the exception of the cayenne, although they made a awesome cayenne turbo SSs. Dont mistake the demeanor of a BMW and a Porsche. Bmw replicating a refined luxury car coupled with being sporty and Porsche flaunting their true sports car heritage. If you want to compare anything, then you must start with the 987 boxster. Because im sure the boxster will outhandle the M3. But lastly, You are comparing apples to oranges. So no debate, just different categories.
__________________
Peanut Butter Chunky

AD08. Akra. Huper Optik. KW V3. Macht Schnell. RE SSK. TMS.
a burrito is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #31
quincy
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcphillips1
I would say it is just you, I would take an M3 no matter what because an M3 is bad ass I don't care what size it is. They would not make an M3 that didn't kick ass!!
I feel the same way.The only thing that'll deter me from getting one is the price. I'm not comfortable spending over 60k on a well spec'ed one.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #32
quincy
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito
you must be out of your mind. The m3 now and the newest edition on the m3 will not TOUCH the 911. Straight line? Possibly. Handling, Dynamics, weight, power? NO. What most BMW drivers dont understand is the porsche produces sports cars with the exception of the cayenne, although they made a awesome cayenne turbo SSs. Dont mistake the demeanor of a BMW and a Porsche. Bmw replicating a refined luxury car coupled with being sporty and Porsche flaunting their true sports car heritage. If you want to compare anything, then you must start with the 987 boxster. Because im sure the boxster will outhandle the M3. But lastly, You are comparing apples to oranges. So no debate, just different categories.
AMEN.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #33
quincy
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

The M3 will kick butt, and be seriously fast. The bad part is that it's a grand tourer now, old man car if you will...............like a 6 series or an M5
You don't find a lot of 20 something crowd driving current M3's,911 etc. because they are very expensive.Where I live, I see a lot of kids driving e36 M3 that's because they can afford em.How can it be a grand tourer now,if it'll be based on the e90 with a motor borrowing a lot of its technologies with the formula one M motor, sportier suspension, lighter components, and so on.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #34
BMWDavid
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
BMWDavid's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 ZCP Fire Orange
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All of USA! Every BMW! Steve Thomas BMW

Posts: 684
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [5.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito
you must be out of your mind. The m3 now and the newest edition on the m3 will not TOUCH the 911. Straight line? Possibly. Handling, Dynamics, weight, power? NO. What most BMW drivers dont understand...If you want to compare anything...
OK. Let's compare a M3 CSL to the 997 S. Similar horses (M3 360hp/ 997 S 355hp), similar weight (M3 3200/ 997 S 3100)... Both cars were built to be true sports cars, no? This is more an apples to apples comparison.

Even with ceramic brakes and PASM the 997 S is NOWHERE near a 7:50 around the Nurburgring. Where the CSL has an unfair advantage over the 997 S is in the handling department. The Carrera GT's 1.35g skidpad doesn't match the CSL's 1.4g. Top Gear didn't even compare the CSL to the 997 S.
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

They felt a better comparison was the CSL to the GT3. The GT3 won around their track, but the CSL run was classified a wet run because of weather conditions.

I know it's pure speculation to say it until it's here (but you started it).
The e92 M3 cupholders and all, will be quicker and handle better than the 997 S.
BMWDavid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #35
lobstah
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by david06M3
OK. Let's compare a M3 CSL to the 997 S. Similar horses (M3 360hp/ 997 S 355hp), similar weight (M3 3200/ 997 S 3100)... Both cars were built to be true sports cars, no? This is more an apples to apples comparison.

Even with ceramic brakes and PASM the 997 S is NOWHERE near a 7:50 around the Nurburgring. Where the CSL has an unfair advantage over the 997 S is in the handling department. The Carrera GT's 1.35g skidpad doesn't match the CSL's 1.4g. Top Gear didn't even compare the CSL to the 997 S.
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

They felt a better comparison was the CSL to the GT3. The GT3 won around their track, but the CSL run was classified a wet run because of weather conditions.

I know it's pure speculation to say it until it's here (but you started it).
The e92 M3 cupholders and all, will be quicker and handle better than the 997 S.

Exactly!! I think nameplate dominates this discussion in many ways, because it seems impossible for a BMW to out-"sport" the sportscar Porsche. However, BMWs can and do that all the time. In fact the V8 powered M3 racecars absolutly dominated Porsche 911 cars in GT races, to the point that porsche had BMW banned. (much of the reason the new M3 is coming with a factory V8). Now BMWs sold for street use are a bit different, they are weighed down with alot of leather, electronic seats, navigation systems, soundsystems too. Because of this the M3 turns into a bit of a PIG. But have you walked into a porsche dealership recently? Those cars are no longer sold as stripped out pure sports cars anymore, they are sold as luxury pieces and come with every amenity you can imagine. Compare those side to side and the M3 doesnt seem as much of a grand touring pig anymore. Then you can compare the Nordeschliefe times of two of these cars in street prep and you see the Porsche doing the ring in about 8:18 and the M3 in 8:20. Not bad for the M3, but of course the Porsche has the decisive lead.

Now BMW is doing for the roadgoing car what it did for the race car a few years back, close that gap by throwing a bit more power under the hood with a V8. On the track, the BMWs absolutly trashed the porsches, and expect the same result with the sold-for-the-road cars. Sorry porsche fans, you guys have all the respect in the world for some of the finest cars in the world, but BMW ///M has you beat on this one.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #36
Advevo
Captain
 
Drives: White 1M
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

Posts: 910
iTrader: (0)

It s simple.

The new 3 series coupe is already 10cm longer than the outgoing e46 m3. If they can manage the same weight it would be a fantastic job of bmw. But for me it s not enough. I have owned an E46 m3 and drove one on track last monday. The m3 is more a GT car then a race car for the street which it once was. It went already the wrong way with the bigger E36 m3 after the E30 M3. I see images of the E30 dtm car in my mind.

I own an a 130i msport with a lsd and that s a real good handling car. My hopes are set on a M2 coupe to replace the 130i. If bmw doesn t make it. I possible go shop for a secondhand GT3.

For all youre highway cruisers and burnouts the v8 m3 will be a dream to drive. But for the corners the potential of an M2 could rock youre socks.
Advevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #37
Nushabeh
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo
It s simple.

The new 3 series coupe is already 10cm longer than the outgoing e46 m3. If they can manage the same weight it would be a fantastic job of bmw. But for me it s not enough. I have owned an E46 m3 and drove one on track last monday. The m3 is more a GT car then a race car for the street which it once was. It went already the wrong way with the bigger E36 m3 after the E30 M3. I see images of the E30 dtm car in my mind.

I own an a 130i msport with a lsd and that s a real good handling car. My hopes are set on a M2 coupe to replace the 130i. If bmw doesn t make it. I possible go shop for a secondhand GT3.

For all youre highway cruisers and burnouts the v8 m3 will be a dream to drive. But for the corners the potential of an M2 could rock youre socks.
Yea well the M3 will never get smaller, its impossible. The e30 m3 was a big monstrosity compared to the 2002. its all relative right? I think its not about the name brand of the car but what car is right for you, if the e92m3 is too big for you, dont be worried about "the m3 getting big and bloated", just say its too big for me and the 130i is a better size for me. Youll be much happier that way.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2006, 03:55 AM   #38
Advevo
Captain
 
Drives: White 1M
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

Posts: 910
iTrader: (0)

In my post you see lots I and me.
Advevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #39
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
 
yemenmocha's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to see the 997S as a luxury oriented GT car, not a pure sports car. It may be perfectly reasonable to compare the next M3 with the 997S.

If you're going to play the CSL card then do so with the GT3 in mind, or the turbo.
yemenmocha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #40
MI6
The World is Not Enough
 
MI6's Avatar
 
Drives: Aston DBS-R
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Skyfall

Posts: 1,056
iTrader: (0)

Porker

Reports have the new M3 comin in at the same weight as current E46 M3. This means BMW will have some serious lite weight tech goin in to the car. Which is why I've been saying to many people that the new M3 will have a 60k base price at least because of the tech goin into the vehicle.

I truly believe this is one car BMW knows it must get right- and will.

If you want even more track performance than there is always your CSL or tuner mods.......
MI6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #41
Smoltz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Live Free or Die

Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
keep in mind the only current engine to have mag/al tech is the straight 6

the new M3 motor is supposedly based on the M5 V-10 which is aluminum

a V-8 block would weigh more than an I-6 block with the same construction, then throw on top of that the MG/AL weight saving, but deduct the valvetronic weight adder (new M will not be valvetronic)

look at weights on older 3 series, the coupe and sedan are at a dead heat for weight.

The M3 will kick butt, and be seriously fast. The bad part is that it's a grand tourer now, old man car if you will...............like a 6 series or an M5
You missed a huge point in your comparison, and that is that the current I6 is not Alum. It is cast iron. In all likelyhood the new V8 will not weigh any more than the current engine.

-Adam
Smoltz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #42
Smoltz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Live Free or Die

Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david06M3
OK. Let's compare a M3 CSL to the 997 S. Similar horses (M3 360hp/ 997 S 355hp), similar weight (M3 3200/ 997 S 3100)... Both cars were built to be true sports cars, no? This is more an apples to apples comparison.

Even with ceramic brakes and PASM the 997 S is NOWHERE near a 7:50 around the Nurburgring. Where the CSL has an unfair advantage over the 997 S is in the handling department. The Carrera GT's 1.35g skidpad doesn't match the CSL's 1.4g. Top Gear didn't even compare the CSL to the 997 S.
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

They felt a better comparison was the CSL to the GT3. The GT3 won around their track, but the CSL run was classified a wet run because of weather conditions.

I know it's pure speculation to say it until it's here (but you started it).
The e92 M3 cupholders and all, will be quicker and handle better than the 997 S.
You missed something... CSL had R-Comps, 997 Did not. That's a huge time difference right there, and that also accoutns for the grip difference.

Case closed.

-Adam
Smoltz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #43
carnuts3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 535i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
ward, the new M3, despite the added weight, is rumored to do a 0-60 time in under 4. Even if it did it in a 4.5 sec, it's still a track terror. I said this earlier, but if you want fast AND nimble go M1!
Bimmer4me,

Did you see the sub 4 sec performance for the upcoming M3 in writing anywhere? Everything that I've read just says that the 0-60 time will be under 5 seconds.
carnuts3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #44
YYimports
First Lieutenant
 
YYimports's Avatar
 
Drives: TitanSilver E90
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3
Bimmer4me,

Did you see the sub 4 sec performance for the upcoming M3 in writing anywhere? Everything that I've read just says that the 0-60 time will be under 5 seconds.
I think he's just guesstimating There's no official #'s out for anything yet, including hp's, 0-60, torque, etc...can't wait to find out tho!
YYimports is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST