BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-08-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
rimlist
Rep
Drives: E90M ZCP, E53

newsed owner questions

been mostly lurking around here for the past year.

i picked up my SG E90 M ZCP in October of last year with about 31k miles on it. i've added less than 2k miles to the odometer since then since my commute generally involves my sneakers and public transportation or the family SUV. i LOVE the car, with the exception of a couple of things that maybe you all can shed some light on.

1st to 2nd cold shift
on occasion, the first time i take the car out of the driveway and go from 1st to 2nd it refuses to go in gear and grinds. never any noise or issues after the first shift of the drive. is this a problem with my transmission possibly because of prior owner abuse or have others experienced this?

cold start rattle
i chalk it up to only driving the car once or twice a week, but sometimes after starting the car (maybe a second or two after it fires up) a slight metallic rattling noises seems to be coming from the motor. is this lack of oil up top causing some chatter or something worse?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
jt1k
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Cold shifts on a SMG are pretty rough, takes some warming up. I also believe the early morning rattle on cold starts is pretty normal.
      04-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Yea, the SMG was pretty high maintenance on my e46.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
KFN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

My experience with 1st to 2nd is similar. The first shift when the car is cold is a bit stiff, and smooths out completely after that. I'm always careful to gently push through the synro and just gently let it spool up. What's more worrisome for me is occasionally the second gear syncro seems not to engage at all (no resistance) and I get a wicked grind (again, only on the first shift). This has happened three or four times now. I'm going to change the transmission oil and see if that makes a difference.

The cold start rattle doesn't happen on my car. Are you sure you're not just hearing the headers popping?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
KFN
Private
Rep

Gents, I think OP means "sparkling graphite metallic" not "sequential manual gearbox."

Or perhaps your sense of humor is even dryer than mine, in which case, carry on.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [4.75]
e90/92 does not have a SMG. How many miles does your car have?

The cold start rattle topic and debate has been discussed countless times and there is quite a lengthy tread on it. I have it too, but i noticed it does not happen if you bump your brakes a few times before starting and also keep it firm on the brake pedal for 5-10 seconds before starting as well. Let us know if that helps with the rattle
      04-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
M__3__R__A__G__E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimlist View Post
been mostly lurking around here for the past year.

i picked up my SG E90 M ZCP in October of last year with about 31k miles on it. i've added less than 2k miles to the odometer since then since my commute generally involves my sneakers and public transportation or the family SUV. i LOVE the car, with the exception of a couple of things that maybe you all can shed some light on.

1st to 2nd cold shift
on occasion, the first time i take the car out of the driveway and go from 1st to 2nd it refuses to go in gear and grinds. never any noise or issues after the first shift of the drive. is this a problem with my transmission possibly because of prior owner abuse or have others experienced this?

cold start rattle
i chalk it up to only driving the car once or twice a week, but sometimes after starting the car (maybe a second or two after it fires up) a slight metallic rattling noises seems to be coming from the motor. is this lack of oil up top causing some chatter or something worse?

You have to be very gentle and baby the car until the temperature is up to normal. Do not shift over 3,000 RPM, go very light on the throttle and easy on the shifts. It is quite normal for the transmission to feel quite clunky and resistant when it's cold, but it should not be rejecting a gear. This car rattles and creaks like an old warship, nothing abnormal, just make sure you keep up with your fluids and replace them at the proper timing as BMW's new schedule is absolute rubbish.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Flying Ace
mdosu
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d, Civic M3 w/1.5 psi off

I think OP owns a 6MT car...
      04-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
rimlist
Rep

sorry, should've specified. 6MT. SG = Steel Gray though I guess it's technically SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFN View Post
My experience with 1st to 2nd is similar. The first shift when the car is cold is a bit stiff, and smooths out completely after that. I'm always careful to gently push through the synro and just gently let it spool up. What's more worrisome for me is occasionally the second gear syncro seems not to engage at all (no resistance) and I get a wicked grind (again, only on the first shift). This has happened three or four times now. I'm going to change the transmission oil and see if that makes a difference.

The cold start rattle doesn't happen on my car. Are you sure you're not just hearing the headers popping?
whew, seems like i'm not the only one. it's not every time.

do not think it's the headers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz
e90/92 does not have a SMG. How many miles does your car have?

The cold start rattle topic and debate has been discussed countless times and there is quite a lengthy tread on it. I have it too, but i noticed it does not happen if you bump your brakes a few times before starting and also keep it firm on the brake pedal for 5-10 seconds before starting as well. Let us know if that helps with the rattle
just shy of 33k. i'll give this a try. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E
You have to be very gentle and baby the car until the temperature is up to normal. Do not shift over 3,000 RPM, go very light on the throttle and easy on the shifts. It is quite normal for the transmission to feel quite clunky and resistant when it's cold, but it should not be rejecting a gear. This car rattles and creaks like an old warship, nothing abnormal, just make sure you keep up with your fluids and replace them at the proper timing as BMW's new schedule is absolute rubbish.
i came from a Subaru so completely used to the rattles!

what is the go to transmission fluid in the E9XM community?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
KFN
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimlist View Post
sorry, should've specified. 6MT. SG = Steel Gray though I guess it's technically SGM

whew, seems like i'm not the only one. it's not every time.

do not think it's the headers!

just shy of 33k. i'll give this a try. thanks!

i came from a Subaru so completely used to the rattles!

what is the go to transmission fluid in the E9XM community?
I'm going to try Red Line 75w80 and see how that feels.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
tjsabec
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Op, seems like you aren't driving the car much, I'd hook it up to a battery tender in between drives if you aren't already. The batteries in these cars are sensitive and expensive
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #12
STooK
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I experienced the same 1 to 2 grind when the temps dropped. Solution is very easy, just go from 1 to N to 2 and it won't grind. You don't even have to double clutch, just go into N real quick before going to second. After that you can shift normally..it just happens on the first cold start of the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #13
tony093
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
I experienced the same 1 to 2 grind when the temps dropped. Solution is very easy, just go from 1 to N to 2 and it won't grind. You don't even have to double clutch, just go into N real quick before going to second. After that you can shift normally..it just happens on the first cold start of the day.
+1 op you're shifting a little too fast from 1st to 2nd
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
rimlist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
Op, seems like you aren't driving the car much, I'd hook it up to a battery tender in between drives if you aren't already. The batteries in these cars are sensitive and expensive
thanks for the tip. there's actually a battery tender sitting about 5 feet away from it not hooked up. i'll start using it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #15
M3LISSA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90, M3

Am I the only one who knew SG was NOT DCT... There is no SMG anymore...
What year OP?
      05-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #16
rimlist
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #17
KFN
Private
Rep

FYI, changing the transmission oil made no difference with regards to the occasional second gear grind - it just happened again yesterday. I got too comfortable after a warming trend, and with the fresh oil I thought the problem was gone.

I'm back to the super gentle, slow motion, grit my teeth, first-neutral-second initial shift when the car is cold.

My car has a warranty (Penske), and I'm debating a claim. Has anyone had any luck with this?
Appreciate 0