BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #177
derric
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Had the dealership tech do a quick listen inspection and he quickly confirmed that it's probably the bearings. He said he's already had a few cars with this issue and have had them fixed. Told me I'd have to schedule my car in and they'd have BMW engineers come in as well.
Was this at SC or MV BMW?
derric is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #178
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,706
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derric View Post
Was this at SC or MV BMW?
Stevens Creek.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #179
TeKNiC3
.
 
Drives: 996TT/e92M3/s2000
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 140
iTrader: (4)

My GF's M3 is making the same noise. It has about 5500 miles on it right now.

Here's a video of it after a drive:

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=IMG_0277.mp4
__________________
-Patrick

TeKNiC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #180
derric
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Stevens Creek.
Stevens Creek tried to tell me it was my exhaust I showed them the sound and said that's not the exhaust heating and contracting. Then they said they couldn't remake it so I got sick of dealing with them and went elsewhere lol
derric is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #181
derric
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC330 View Post
My GF's M3 is making the same noise. It has about 5500 miles on it right now.

Here's a video of it after a drive:

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=IMG_0277.mp4
Mine made the same exact tapping one day and never knew why, that tapping is quite a bit different from the usual sound. My guess is that you car doesn't always make that same rythmic tapping?
derric is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #182
knifegun
Major
 
knifegun's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Where the weather is always the same

Posts: 1,067
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derric View Post
Stevens Creek tried to tell me it was my exhaust I showed them the sound and said that's not the exhaust heating and contracting. Then they said they couldn't remake it so I got sick of dealing with them and went elsewhere lol
Who did you talk to at Steven's Creek? I had two cars with the same issue and they were really good about diagnosing it and determining it was not the exhaust cooling down. Especially if the ticking happens when revving the engine which is actually heating the exhaust.
knifegun is offline   Turkmenistan
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #183
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,706
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Who did you talk to at Steven's Creek? I had two cars with the same issue and they were really good about diagnosing it and determining it was not the exhaust cooling down. Especially if the ticking happens when revving the engine which is actually heating the exhaust.
Did they fix the issue for you both times? I'm a bit worried about anyone tearing the engine apart. No one seems to be talking about the results after engines have been supposedly fixed.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #184
knifegun
Major
 
knifegun's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Where the weather is always the same

Posts: 1,067
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Did they fix the issue for you both times? I'm a bit worried about anyone tearing the engine apart. No one seems to be talking about the results after engines have been supposedly fixed.
I actually did a collateral exchange for the first and a buy back for the second one. I am on my third w/o any issues. They were going to fix it but I asked if I could get another because my car had less than 2K miles on it. Whether an exchange or buy back is done is completely dependent on not only the dealership but also the BMW of NA marketing area rep.

I know they did fix one of the cars I brought in back in late 2009 and it seemed to be drive fine afterwards (one of the techs drove the car for a while to ensure the problem was fixed).
knifegun is offline   Turkmenistan
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #185
knifegun
Major
 
knifegun's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Where the weather is always the same

Posts: 1,067
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC330 View Post
My GF's M3 is making the same noise. It has about 5500 miles on it right now.

Here's a video of it after a drive:

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=IMG_0277.mp4
That is a different sound I had. My ticking noise always happened when revving the engine between 2 and 5 K. Never while idling.
knifegun is offline   Turkmenistan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #186
K-M3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

any more inputs on this "ticking" noise? did the engines that got the crankshaft and bearings replaced get rid of the noise finally?? or is it still a problem. I am getting ready to order a 2012 and this issue has me a little worried. bearing and crankshaft changes in this modern era of engines - that too on a BMW - is not something usual. But anyways, lets hope that those who got this issue fixed shed some light on a possible solution.

DID notice one comment that I agree with but no one has responded to it. How come almost every case of this noise has started after the first break in service. Dont know where the oil filter is located, but could it be that replacing the filter as well as the procedure involved in the oil and filter change involves some kind of a change in tolerances if not done right and exactly by the book?? could it be something as simple as this wherein the exact procedure for the first service needs to be reviewed including tolerance, correct torquing amounts, etc?? This may sound pretty basic, but it is strange that the sound manifests after "the drive home from the first service". If it were a bearing noise, there would be a temporal relationship with the onset, duration and severity. The drive home from the first service and the almost immediate appearance of the sound after the first service may point out the need to have a re-look at the service procedures itself??

What do you guys think??
K-M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #187
derric
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
any more inputs on this "ticking" noise? did the engines that got the crankshaft and bearings replaced get rid of the noise finally?? or is it still a problem. I am getting ready to order a 2012 and this issue has me a little worried. bearing and crankshaft changes in this modern era of engines - that too on a BMW - is not something usual. But anyways, lets hope that those who got this issue fixed shed some light on a possible solution.

DID notice one comment that I agree with but no one has responded to it. How come almost every case of this noise has started after the first break in service. Dont know where the oil filter is located, but could it be that replacing the filter as well as the procedure involved in the oil and filter change involves some kind of a change in tolerances if not done right and exactly by the book?? could it be something as simple as this wherein the exact procedure for the first service needs to be reviewed including tolerance, correct torquing amounts, etc?? This may sound pretty basic, but it is strange that the sound manifests after "the drive home from the first service". If it were a bearing noise, there would be a temporal relationship with the onset, duration and severity. The drive home from the first service and the almost immediate appearance of the sound after the first service may point out the need to have a re-look at the service procedures itself??

What do you guys think??
I had my crank and bearing replaced, however after 3 months the sound came back albeit worse. Tech said it was a tolerance thing and that outside of the annoying sound it would have no affect on actual engine wear (unsure on validity of his comment). Car is in the shop for the sound plus leaking oil now...
derric is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #188
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,706
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
I'm wonder how many more people actually have this issue, but don't even know it. If you drive with your windows up you'll never hear it. Even with the windows down you won't hear it unless it's fairly quiet and you are driving near objects that can reflect the sound back to you while you drive.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #189
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,464
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor (o ...  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I'm wonder how many more people actually have this issue, but don't even know it. If you drive with your windows up you'll never hear it. Even with the windows down you won't hear it unless it's fairly quiet and you are driving near objects that can reflect the sound back to you while you drive.
u know, sometimes when im driving slow down a row of parked cars in a lot in 1st gear, i hear this faint chattering.is that the sound u speak of??...but u REALLY REALLY have to listen for it....no performance issues whatsoever so im gonna have to write it off as 'normal M3 sounds'

s65 isnt exactly a lexus engine...for sure the dealer will tell me cannot duplicate and id have to let them mess around with my car for weeks...also no codes so they wont do shit...as long as it drives ok...im gonna have to say its fine...im sure if it is indeed a serious issue, it would get progressively worse and louder and be very obvious...so ill wait till then and tow it in.
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #190
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,706
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
u know, sometimes when im driving slow down a row of parked cars in a lot in 1st gear, i hear this faint chattering.is that the sound u speak of??...but u REALLY REALLY have to listen for it....no performance issues whatsoever so im gonna have to write it off as 'normal M3 sounds'

s65 isnt exactly a lexus engine...for sure the dealer will tell me cannot duplicate and id have to let them mess around with my car for weeks...also no codes so they wont do shit...as long as it drives ok...im gonna have to say its fine...im sure if it is indeed a serious issue, it would get progressively worse and louder and be very obvious...so ill wait till then and tow it in.
It's not a chatter. It's a distinct ticking sound and has a random pattern to it when you are giving a little bit of throttle.

At this point I have no performance issues either. It's purely a sound, but a sound that should not be there. I hear it most when I'm making my way through a parking lot or while I'm pulling my car into the garage.

My only concern is this becoming a real issue after my warranty expires. I'd be pissed to end up paying thousands of dollars in out-of-warranty repairs knowing this was a factory issue when my car was less than a year old.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #191
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,464
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor (o ...  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
u know, sometimes when im driving slow down a row of parked cars in a lot in 1st gear, i hear this faint chattering.is that the sound u speak of??...but u REALLY REALLY have to listen for it....no performance issues whatsoever so im gonna have to write it off as 'normal M3 sounds'

s65 isnt exactly a lexus engine...for sure the dealer will tell me cannot duplicate and id have to let them mess around with my car for weeks...also no codes so they wont do shit...as long as it drives ok...im gonna have to say its fine...im sure if it is indeed a serious issue, it would get progressively worse and louder and be very obvious...so ill wait till then and tow it in.
It's not a chatter. It's a distinct ticking sound and has a random pattern to it when you are giving a little bit of throttle.

At this point I have no performance issues either. It's purely a sound, but a sound that should not be there. I hear it most when I'm making my way through a parking lot or while I'm pulling my car into the garage.

My only concern is this becoming a real issue after my warranty expires. I'd be pissed to end up paying thousands of dollars in out-of-warranty repairs knowing this was a factory issue when my car was less than a year old.
Damn I kinda wished I didn't read this post. Upon cold start drive off today, a car pulled up next to me at the light and engine was still cold, I heard a ticking...random ticking...is that it?

Then when the car was filled warmed up, I drove next to a car and stopped to listen. Nothing..pulled into garage and nothing as I drove in...maybe it just does that when engine cold or warming up??

I wonder what it could be though. Maybe just another normal m3 noise.?? Drives fine tho
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #192
K-M3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

could it be the octane rating?? BMW recommends premium grade gasoline and 91 aint exactly premium, definitely not if it has some ethanol in it. And i myself am not really sure about this thought but i was thinking about it. could it be engine knock (and I know that the M3 has anti-knock sensors) from a lower octane than what it should be (atleast a 93-94 or higher). A clicking/ticking sound at part throttle/low rpm is very consistent with engine knock from bad quality fuel.

Are people on this forum using the 100 octane/91 octane blend also having this problem? or does this make it go away.

like I said before, there is just way too much of a consistent association with this noise and the break in service. I absolutely cannot fathom why or what will cause this to happen after the first service but the association is there!!!

@ derric - after you got the crank and bearings replaced, you said it came back after 3 months. did it come back again after another service/oil change ??
K-M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #193
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,706
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
Damn I kinda wished I didn't read this post. Upon cold start drive off today, a car pulled up next to me at the light and engine was still cold, I heard a ticking...random ticking...is that it?

Then when the car was filled warmed up, I drove next to a car and stopped to listen. Nothing..pulled into garage and nothing as I drove in...maybe it just does that when engine cold or warming up??

I wonder what it could be though. Maybe just another normal m3 noise.?? Drives fine tho
I don't think that's it. This issue only shows up when the engine is fully warmed up. I don't get the sound until the temp needle is at least in the middle.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #194
penny31
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: So CAL, L.a

Posts: 572
iTrader: (0)

i wish we could get a bmw rep on this thread to say something about it. I once had a issue with my 335 and a bmw rep private messaged me regarding my concerns
__________________
e92 m3 Melbourne Red 6 speed

penny31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #195
Bananas92
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 M3 e92 AW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston

Posts: 40
iTrader: (1)

This is my personal experience.
I bought the car used last nov. with 8k miles on the odo. Payed for an oil change at around 9k. I was aware of this issue because of the thread, so I kept looking out for it. At 13k I payed again for another oil change, I still didn't hear anything. At 16k I had the free oil change, still nothing.

Then at 18k I started hearing it faintly. It is very distinct. This happened after the constant 100+ temps here in houston. It then got louder and could duplicate it even in cool mornings when I got to work.

Went to the dealer and they did the retorquing procedure, in which I believe they changed the oil at some point. The car felt smooth and there was no clicking, but a few weeks later it came back and the car felt jerky again. This leads me to believe that it must be an oil issue, though I am no mechanic.

The car is at the dealer right now, don't know yet what they are going to do. It is likely that they will replace the bearings and crank. But as some have experienced, the problem might still persist after that.
Bananas92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #196
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
 
Diavel Tom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Hello all-

Have a 2011 M3. This noise started with my car as well after I had the oil changed around 7500 miles. Took it into the dealership, and provided them with a very detailed description of the noise. They looked the car over, and indicated that they could hear the same thing. According to them, they contacted the mother ship, and were told the noise is linked to the oil pump, and is nothing detrimental to the engine.

I had been reading about this issue before the noise started with my car, and wanted to have the dealership document my complaint in detail in case something comes up at a later date.
Diavel Tom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #197
K-M3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

hmmm... oil pump....that would make sense... in a way. However, in what way is it related to the oil pump?? as in, is it just benign mechanical clicking or is it because of a relative strain on the oil pump?? If it is the latter, then maybe it should be okay in the short term (provided that the weakness is not bad enough to cause cavitation), but a constant strain on the oil pump will tend to wear it down, thus causing some amount of accelerated engine wear in the long run.

Did the dealer/service guy tell you in what way was it related to the oil pump? maybe that will shed some light on this issue.

Also (and this may be far fetched.....so stop me in my tracks if this is totally irrelevant) can we have a schematic/diagram that details the way the oil pump is connected to the oiling system including the oil filter?? Maybe that has some link with the fact that most people who seem to have experienced this noise experienced it after an oil change??

Last edited by K-M3; 09-29-2011 at 12:12 AM.
K-M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #198
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I'm wonder how many more people actually have this issue, but don't even know it.
You need to do the 'garage test' every once in a while . The good news is it's a gradual process, so it'd get worse over time. Therefore, I wouldn't even bother with a dealer until it's easily heard and duplicated.

And I'd completely eliminate an oil pump (there're two) folks. Can't be the chain (main pump is chain-driven; secondary is driven by the main one), since noise is metal to metal, and chain guide is plastic. And a bearing without side loads would screech instead of knocking. That knocking sound has to come from either a main or rod bearing IMO. And random ticking is a lot more likely on main bearings.

Finally, the thought of that kind of ticking not being detrimental to the engine in the long run can't be true IMO, whatever it is, but I'd love to be wrong. All I know is if my car starts to develop that after warranty without more encouraging news before it potentially happens, I'd just trade it in. But the way I drive my car and I maintain it, I REALLY, REALLY doubt I have anything to worry about .
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST