BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
EnVe46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

AG M359 poor finish quality

Now, before I start, I know these are cheap replica wheels and aren't expected to be held to the same standard as OEM, BBS etc... However, when I was deciding whether to go with these and found majority reviews were about looks, durability as far as bends cracks etc but very little about the finish and how they back their product, so here we go...

When we unboxed the wheels, there was a very small imperfection, size of a permanent marker tip I'd say. I didn't report, my fault of course, figured whatever they're pretty cheap wheels, it's my daily driver and I'm sure they'll see some other damage. That decision cost me for sure. Now, the finish all around that imperfection is completely flaking off. This is what bothers me a bit. I've had numerous wheels of all levels of "quality" and even ones with significant damage didn't result in the finish flaking off like this. AG of course is denying any warranty due to "impact damage" which I get but doesn't take away from the poor quality their wheels are finished in. Again, I'm taking responsibility for not reporting the damage. Hopefully people considering these wheels will know to look over their wheels thoroughly, report any damage and expect the finish to fail at some point if there's any damage. Also, these wheels are barely two months old, driven in south Florida, cleaned and well cared for. Let my experience be a lesson to others considering cheap wheels.
Attached Images

04-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
shimmy23
e90 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: e90 IB M3

What a bummer. Seems like everyone has issues eventually with even the finish on AG
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
EnVe46
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
What a bummer. Seems like everyone has issues eventually with even the finish on AG
It really is but again, they are cheap wheels. You get what you pay for, just sucks when they're as new as these and they're chipping away due to a tiny imperfection
      04-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

There are a few good powder coating shops here. I just had my f14s redone for 400 dollars finish came out great and the durability seems to be up to standsard as well. Maybe you should just get them redone.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
EnVe46
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
There are a few good powder coating shops here. I just had my f14s redone for 400 dollars finish came out great and the durability seems to be up to standsard as well. Maybe you should just get them redone.
I'm considering doing them all but unsure as of now. Being my second car now I may step up to something nicer and use these as a back up. They still look amazing, it's hard to argue against the looks of ZCPs but I have a dying itch for lm-r or vsxx or alike.
      04-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

I agree that it stinks, but just find a good local wheel repair place and have them refinish the wheel.

If you can, just have them do all four so you know they're good to go. Beware that hypersilver is difficult to do -- do NOT let the shop just spray them silver. My local shop sort of explained it to me: it's a specific color primer with some varying layers of transparent silver and then a light dusting of black (or something like that). If the shop is competent, and you bring them a "good" wheel, they can hopefully try to reproduce it.
      04-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Iyzmi
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I agree that it stinks, but just find a good local wheel repair place and have them refinish the wheel.

If you can, just have them do all four so you know they're good to go. Beware that hypersilver is difficult to do -- do NOT let the shop just spray them silver. My local shop sort of explained it to me: it's a specific color primer with some varying layers of transparent silver and then a light dusting of black (or something like that). If the shop is competent, and you bring them a "good" wheel, they can hopefully try to reproduce it.
For this reason, I would have all 4 redone. If the finish started flaking on one after only 2 months, the rest will likely follow at some point. I know some wheel repair places recommend refinishing at least 2 wheels so each side of the car has a perfect color match front and rear.
      04-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
EnVe46
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

That's another fear of mine. I remember your thread where you had one or two done and they rest didn't match as well. I had an E46 Competition car that wheels were done in silver, looked awful!

AG apparently offers a discount on replacements. I find that hilarious hahaha... Let's make a subpar finish, not honor replacement or fixing it then try and get more money from people by making them buy another wheel at a discounted rate. The last thing I want to do is give them another dollar.
      04-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
sgreer78
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, ZCP, DCT

I just had mine done locally and they matched the color pretty well. They call it "chrome" because apparently when it comes out of the oven it's, well, chrome...But after they clear and rebake it, it comes out hypersilverish.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
That's another fear of mine. I remember your thread where you had one or two done and they rest didn't match as well. I had an E46 Competition car that wheels were done in silver, looked awful!

AG apparently offers a discount on replacements. I find that hilarious hahaha... Let's make a subpar finish, not honor replacement or fixing it then try and get more money from people by making them buy another wheel at a discounted rate. The last thing I want to do is give them another dollar.

I had two redone because the wheel repair guy was upfront and said, "there's no way for me to perfectly match the OEM finish". His advice was to have two wheels from the same side of the car redone so that it would at least look consistent.

Ultimately that's what I did and his work was pretty damn close to OEM, but I have a good eye for this stuff and I bet the slight difference would've bugged the hell out of me.

Here's an up-close shot of his attempt to replicate OEM hypersilver:

04-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
EnVe46
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I had two redone because the wheel repair guy was upfront and said, "there's no way for me to perfectly match the OEM finish". His advice was to have two wheels from the same side of the car redone so that it would at least look consistent.

Ultimately that's what I did and his work was pretty damn close to OEM, but I have a good eye for this stuff and I bet the slight difference would've bugged the hell out of me.

Here's an up-close shot of his attempt to replicate OEM hypersilver:

That's what it was! Yea it looks pretty damn close but there is a slight difference. I may just leave it or wait til a set of OEM pop up. I don't know. It's going in the shop to get some things done then getting a bunch of carbon bits installed so the wheels are what they are for now. I just hope people researching find this thread and spend the extra coin on QUALITY, not this subpar excuse
      04-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
jimbob123
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

I bought a new set of ag 359s and was very dissatisfied with the finish.it just looked cheap and tacky.
The biggest upset was when I put the bare wheels on the balancer only to find 3 out of 4 were buckled.one of the rears had a 15mm run out!!.
I sent them straight back to supplier and added avant garde to my just don't bother list.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
94jedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3

Crap, I was really considering a set of AG's....guess not.
      04-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #14
Iyzmi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob123 View Post
I bought a new set of ag 359s and was very dissatisfied with the finish.it just looked cheap and tacky.
The biggest upset was when I put the bare wheels on the balancer only to find 3 out of 4 were buckled.one of the rears had a 15mm run out!!.
I sent them straight back to supplier and added avant garde to my just don't bother list.
Can you elaborate on how the finish looked cheap and tacky? Did you have issues like the OP or did you just not like the color?

We’ve had plenty of overall good reviews on these wheels over the years here with some mention of the finish being not the best so that’s not surprising. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody mention the wheels were deformed out of the box. That’s a pretty unique issue.

Physical deformation aside, I understand why people may be disappointed if their brand new wheels start flaking like the OP after a couple months, but we’re talking about $1,100 wheels here. Even after you factor in the cost of getting them refinishshed properly, they’re still an absolute bargain.
      04-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
jimbob123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Quote:
Can you elaborate on how the finish looked cheap and tacky? Did you have issues like the OP or did you just not like the color?

We've had plenty of overall good reviews on these wheels over the years here with some mention of the finish being not the best so that's not surprising. But I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention the wheels were deformed out of the box. That's a pretty unique issue.

Physical deformation aside, I understand why people may be disappointed if their brand new wheels start flaking like the OP after a couple months, but we're talking about $1,100 wheels here. Even after you factor in the cost of getting them refinishshed properly, they're still an absolute bargain.
the finish on mine was a very light silver that imo looked inferior. I've seen many people happy with these wheels which was part of the reason I got some.i did suspect I'd been sent some spurious copies as the buckle on one was really bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
EnVe46
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Physical deformation aside, I understand why people may be disappointed if their brand new wheels start flaking like the OP after a couple months, but we’re talking about $1,100 wheels here. Even after you factor in the cost of getting them refinishshed properly, they’re still an absolute bargain.
EH, to a point here. Just cause the cost is half of the real deal doesn't mean the coating should flake off like this. Also, if they charged $1500 for a better finish, I would have paid it. To me, its not worth the hassle. Im one of those people who pays for convenience, Ill pay over whats normal to get "piece of mind" and these wheels dont provide it. If their finish is this poor, whats next is my fear?
      04-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
Iyzmi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Physical deformation aside, I understand why people may be disappointed if their brand new wheels start flaking like the OP after a couple months, but we're talking about $1,100 wheels here. Even after you factor in the cost of getting them refinishshed properly, they're still an absolute bargain.
EH, to a point here. Just cause the cost is half of the real deal doesn't mean the coating should flake off like this. Also, if they charged $1500 for a better finish, I would have paid it. To me, its not worth the hassle. Im one of those people who pays for convenience, Ill pay over whats normal to get "piece of mind" and these wheels dont provide it. If their finish is this poor, whats next is my fear?
Totally get where you're coming from. The bespoke level 2 finish I'm going with is $450 extra from AG. They don't do the bespoke finishes in house so quality should be better.
      04-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #18
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
15mm of run-out? Damn, that's either some dogshit QC or the delivery guy smashed it into a lightpole.
      04-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #19
jimbob123
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
15mm of run-out? Damn, that's either some dogshit QC or the delivery guy smashed it into a lightpole.
Yes I thought I was hallucinating but after mounting on the balancer 4 seperate times it was still the same.maybe a bad batch?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #20
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I thought I was hallucinating but after mounting on the balancer 4 seperate times it was still the same.maybe a bad batch?
Maybe, but you would think they are checking that as part of a basic quality control process before getting them out the door (or even before sending to paint/powdercoat). Who knows.
      04-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

Eh. Rep wheels are rep wheels... this is why it's never worth cheaping out in the short term - it always comes back to bite you in the ass.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #22
tdott
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Agreed^^

The finish on most rep wheels are pretty crap, they take a ton of weight to balance due to shitty QC and usually have vibration issues.
Appreciate 0