BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
normtrum
Colonel
 
normtrum's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PNW

Posts: 2,227
iTrader: (1)

Question on cross crountry vehicle shipping: open vs closed container

Hi - I am finalizing a deal to purchase a vehicle in South Carolina and shipping it to the Seattle area. The vehicle falls into the "classic" category and has been completely restored to mint condition.

My question is for those who have experience in shipping cross country....is it absolutely necessary to use an enclosed truck or would an open air truck be ok?

The vehicle would be shipped withen the next few weeks....so weather should not be an issue.

The price diff is not huge....but it's a chunk. $1100 open vs $1800 enclosed.
__________________
07 335i sedan | Steptronic | Black saphire | Terra | ZPP | ZSP | Cold Weather | CA | PDC | Nav | OEM Alarm
normtrum is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
If it is "mint" yes it HAS to be an enclosed trailer or you will cry when you get it. Additionally that 1800$ might be an "enclosed" trailed that consists of tarps on the sides, you will cry when your car gets there with one of those as well.

You need to find a company that uses a true enclosed trailer, one that I know of is exotic car transport based out of orlando.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
 
jopa489's Avatar
 
Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

Posts: 6,561
iTrader: (8)

I don't have experience with this, but I would not even consider shipping a "mint" car in anything but a fully enclosed trailer. Seems like money well spent to keep it protected.
__________________

jopa489 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Fully enclosed trailers only.

NO BROKERS. Only deal directly with reliable companies or you will regret it when your car doesn't show up for weeks.

Make sure the guy takes high quality pictures of the car to document it.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

Don't put it on an open car carrier. That's how a local-to-me HPF Stage 4 M3 was totaled - the carrier lost control and flung it onto the road, landing on it's roof. Better to be safe than sorry
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
JsTech
Captain
 
JsTech's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Area51

Posts: 807
iTrader: (10)

Shop around...there should be about $400-500 different between opened and closed container. With opened container, the car will get really dirty from dust, rain, foggy, and bird sh!t if you're lucky.
__________________
JsTech is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Sniz
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,519
iTrader: (1)

Def covered....FULLY covered.


I bought a modded s60r from Texas several years ago, was shipped to MD at the owners cost in an open carrier......what a freaking mess when I got it. Luckily I like detailing or I would have been PISSED.

what did u buy? Do tell
__________________
Sniz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (0)

Not going to tell you what to do, but.....

I had a driver stop close to my shop who was hauling a Cayenne uncovered on a flat bed. As a Cayenne owner at the time, I wanted to cry. It was brand new, still had the window sticker, non-Turbo, every option on the list. I do not have the words to describe how hideously filthy and covered with grit it was, not dirt grit like the sand and crap that you get from driving in the snow.
MisterSkiMask is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
normtrum
Colonel
 
normtrum's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PNW

Posts: 2,227
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
If it is "mint" yes it HAS to be an enclosed trailer or you will cry when you get it. Additionally that 1800$ might be an "enclosed" trailed that consists of tarps on the sides, you will cry when your car gets there with one of those as well.

You need to find a company that uses a true enclosed trailer, one that I know of is exotic car transport based out of orlando.
good tip on the tarp...I will def check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I don't have experience with this, but I would not even consider shipping a "mint" car in anything but a fully enclosed trailer. Seems like money well spent to keep it protected.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Fully enclosed trailers only.

NO BROKERS. Only deal directly with reliable companies or you will regret it when your car doesn't show up for weeks.

Make sure the guy takes high quality pictures of the car to document it.
Good advice. I already have lots of pics...but I'll see if I can get some detailed close up pics of the finish....open or enclosed. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Don't put it on an open car carrier. That's how a local-to-me HPF Stage 4 M3 was totaled - the carrier lost control and flung it onto the road, landing on it's roof. Better to be safe than sorry
Your freaking me out. A story like that is cause enough for an enclosed truck. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsTech View Post
Shop around...there should be about $400-500 different between opened and closed container. With opened container, the car will get really dirty from dust, rain, foggy, and bird sh!t if you're lucky.
From what I've looked at so far you're spot on with the price diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Def covered....FULLY covered.


I bought a modded s60r from Texas several years ago, was shipped to MD at the owners cost in an open carrier......what a freaking mess when I got it. Luckily I like detailing or I would have been PISSED.

what did u buy? Do tell
Ha ha...I was waiting for someone to ask! I will let you no after I finalize everything...I'd like to keep this quite until then...I will say it is not a bimmer....but there is a lot of competition for these rigs...I got lucky and found it the day it was advertised. Been looking for about 2 years. Hopefully it won't get screwed up at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Not going to tell you what to do, but.....

I had a driver stop close to my shop who was hauling a Cayenne uncovered on a flat bed. As a Cayenne owner at the time, I wanted to cry. It was brand new, still had the window sticker, non-Turbo, every option on the list. I do not have the words to describe how hideously filthy and covered with grit it was, not dirt grit like the sand and crap that you get from driving in the snow.
thanks!

It looks like I will be going with a enclosed truck...I think I was actually looking for any kind of positive feedback on a open container....but I don't think anything positive is really out there. The extra 500-600 bucks is looking like a good idea.

Thanks everybody!
__________________
07 335i sedan | Steptronic | Black saphire | Terra | ZPP | ZSP | Cold Weather | CA | PDC | Nav | OEM Alarm
normtrum is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

Black Series?
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
aut0sh0cker
meh
 
aut0sh0cker's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 91362

Posts: 1,758
iTrader: (2)

Ship it open and get a full detail when it arrives. Your car will look better than ever and you will still save a few hundred bucks...
aut0sh0cker is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
Ship it open and get a full detail when it arrives. Your car will look better than ever and you will still save a few hundred bucks...

no

ship closed and then get a full detail
__________________
Sniz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Silver-Bolt
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 807
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [5.00]
Might as well drive it if you use an open trailer.
Silver-Bolt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST