BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Richbot
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (2)

So, which muffler sounds the most like no muffler at all?



I just had to share, and I realize this thread is worthless without video (or worthless period) but I just dropped the stock muffler and drove around for a while. Damn these things sound awesome uncorked. I couldn't understand why all you nutjobs out there with catless exhausts would put up with the volume until now, what an incredible-sounding exhaust note. Dare I say I like it better than the S85? I better not, somebody will try to cut me. The downshifts were about the sexiest car sound I've ever heard, and I've been to a lot of racetracks over the years.

If every interior panel didn't rattle with the windows up, I might consider buying a stock exhaust and chopping the muffler off, and adding a couple turndowns to the end. Cutouts would be fun but I have one on my truck and after a while they start to be a little bit unreliable.

Interesting side note, the E90 M3 exhaust is one of the first car parts I've ever encountered which is MORE difficult to remove than to install. Those hangers are lame. I ended up using a pair of channel locks and a 6mm 1/4" drive socket to push the rubber hangers off the studs, that worked pretty well and kept the center section of the hanger supported so it wouldn't break.
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
*Nod.* *Shrug.*

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426462

Seeing what's available on the market as of right now, this is probably closest to what you're looking for.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Richbot
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
*Nod.* *Shrug.*

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426462

Seeing what's available on the market as of right now, this is probably closest to what you're looking for.
Thanks. That thread title was kindof a joke, along the same lines as the "which exhaust is "THE" exhaust?" thread. I was just excited by what it sounds like mufflerless, the full-Akra car I heard/rode in didn't sound all that great to me so I was a little bummed about the potential for good-sounding exhausts on these cars. Thankfully, I've proven to myself that there is hope. I need to hear a few more of the plug-and-play systems in person, or just break out the welder and make one myself.

That revinora exhaust looks nice, but if you're going for lightness above all else you might as well stay with duals rather than add a pointless extra canister and exhaust tip on each side.
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Thanks. That thread title was kindof a joke, along the same lines as the "which exhaust is "THE" exhaust?" thread. I was just excited by what it sounds like mufflerless, the full-Akra car I heard/rode in didn't sound all that great to me so I was a little bummed about the potential for good-sounding exhausts on these cars. Thankfully, I've proven to myself that there is hope. I need to hear a few more of the plug-and-play systems in person, or just break out the welder and make one myself.

That revinora exhaust looks nice, but if you're going for lightness above all else you might as well stay with duals rather than add a pointless extra canister and exhaust tip on each side.
lol, my bad man. Thought it was a serious question and those Revinoras look to be as little muffler as you can get. I heard my car muffler-less before too, felt kinda like Zeus screaming "FUCK YOU EARDRUMS" or something, was really cool. Just wish it didn't drone so bad like that.

I agree about the Akra, the quality is good and it's light as a buttercup, but you might as well keep stock if you're looking for sound from an Akra. Sounds too similar, but it is what it is.

Last edited by LateBraking; 09-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,326
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
lol, my bad man. Thought it was a serious question and those Revinoras look to be as little muffler as you can get. I heard my car muffler-less before too, felt kinda like Zeus screaming "FUCK YOU EARDRUMS" or something, was really cool. Just wish it didn't drone so bad like that.

I agree about the Akra, the quality is good and it's light as a buttercup, but you might as well keep stock if you're looking for sound from an Akra. Sounds too similar, but it is what it is.
LOL, honesty

I bought my Corsa for the opposite reason. It's UGLY but it sounds soooooo nice. No drone, but a beautiful wail, it's the best thing I've heard on the S65... It doesn't sound as nice as my 06 M5, (sorry OP, I think the S85 sounds really awesome) but it's pretty nice sounding.
kitw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Dustin@AEp
Captain
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern California

Posts: 625
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Dustin@AEp
Well, it sounds like I have exactly what you are looking for. Our race system consists of T304 stainless steel straight pipes, matched up with our signature AE hand rolled stainless steel tips.

Here's a video so you can get an idea of how it sounds. Pretty intoxicating!

Dustin@AEp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
LOL, honesty

I bought my Corsa for the opposite reason. It's UGLY but it sounds soooooo nice. No drone, but a beautiful wail, it's the best thing I've heard on the S65... It doesn't sound as nice as my 06 M5, (sorry OP, I think the S85 sounds really awesome) but it's pretty nice sounding.
Nothin' but honesty from me! I've never heard the Corsa myself, but I agree that it's ugly. However, Dinan looks ugly(/ier?) too, and it sounds nice, so I can imagine that your Corsa sounds fantastic as well.

As for my Akrapovic exhaust, well, at least I can get crazy drunk, take the tips off, put my d*ck inside of them, and pretend that I'm actually entering Keira Knightley or something. That, and I work in LA, so it definitely doesn't piss off any local Pigs. I'm happy with my Akra though.

Last edited by LateBraking; 09-10-2010 at 02:55 PM.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Richbot
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@AEperformance View Post
Well, it sounds like I have exactly what you are looking for. Our race system consists of T304 stainless steel straight pipes, matched up with our signature AE hand rolled stainless steel tips.

Here's a video so you can get an idea of how it sounds. Pretty intoxicating!

Thanks, I actually like you guys' street system the best of all, based on vids posted here anyway, because of the tip design and sound, but if I wanted to make a set of straight pipes I'd just fab some up myself for $50 in materials, hell, I've got the 3/8" bar stock in my garage right now for some hangers if I need it. The videos just don't do this car justice once you start modifying the exhaust though, stock gets picked up pretty well on my camera but with the muffler off it was pointless. That's what makes me afraid to jump on anything for $2k+ without hearing it in person first, and well, the Midwest isn't exactly crawling with modified M3's.

I love the way the Corsa sounds too but I wouldn't be able to deal with the muffler fitment. That one, the Billy Boat, and the AE are my favorites sound wise, at least among the systems that I think are worth bothering with. The Gintani Sport seems like it'd be good too but I still haven't seen a really good video.

Anyway, this is turning into a "what exhaust to buy" thread when really it's supposed to be a "I want to move somewhere where straight pipes won't get me arrested" thread. Back to that.
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

....So when are you buying that island? You said you'd buy an island and you'd make a track for all of us nutters to run mufflerless on....hollow words, empty promises, I'm crushed!
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
kcdude24
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KC

Posts: 325
iTrader: (1)

[quote=Richbot;7978349] the Midwest isn't exactly crawling with modified M3's.

The Gintani Sport seems like it'd be good too but I still haven't seen a really good video.
[quote]

I am still debating exhaust....but nothing around to hear first..I want a Gintani sport but would like to hear one first...maybe we should get a midwest meet and do some open pipe/Gintani comparos.
kcdude24 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST