BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #67
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
 
yemenmocha's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 334
iTrader: (0)

Folks just can't resist, huh.
yemenmocha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #68
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,717
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
honda civic STI
LMAO at myself, i dont know what i was on dat day

i tought i saw SI
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #69
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Totally different sounds bud . Porsche uses equal length headers, whereas Subaru employs inefficient unequal length headers which give them their characteristic "rumble."

Installing equal lengths on my '07 track car was the best mod I ever performed. Sounded just like well tuned 996 TT.
That's beside the point. He said he didn't like the sound because it was a boxer.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #70
Moe's M3
Enlisted Member
 
Moe's M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LOL View Post
Hey guys, I drive a 2008 STi myself, but my dad had an m3 in the past and have a couple buddies w/ m3's and 335's etc. After having extensive time with both of these cars, I already have a preconceived opinion on the subject. But I would LOVE to hear what you guys think? Straight line performance, handling, modifications may also play into the subject.

So lets hear it! I am extremely curious as to your guys point of view.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have a 2010 M3 Sedan 6SPD Manual, and in my personal opinion, the M3 it's a unique car. What I do mean by saying "unique" is, it's a super fast, "neck turning" super sport car that's built for people that love speed, extreme handling/cornering, and outlast performance, with a very low MPG rate. If you like a roomy, smooth ride, and extra luxury on a car, then the M3 it's not your best fit. I do love it, in every aspect, and I'll recommend it to anyone that meets the "unique" features I mentioned before. After all, they (BMWs) are called "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" for good reasons.
Moe's M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #71
formgen
Second Lieutenant
 
formgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 535i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston

Posts: 213
iTrader: (2)

I went by the Subi dealership here in Charleston and they flat out told me no Sti test drives. Seriously, I'm driving a $80K M3 and you are not going to let me see if this Sti is worth being a second car in my garage. They told me Sti owners are picky and dont want one with mileage. How am I supposed to know I want one unless I drive it, come on now, this is a $34K car not a P, M, or whatever car. It's in the same leage as a Mustang which you can test drive all day long.
__________________
2014 535i


Past Vehicles
2011.5 E92 M3, 2009 E93 M3, 2008 335xi, 2004 Mustang GT,....
formgen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #72
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
subjective subjective subjective. I prefer blue over white b/c white is ugly... subjective statement, bad for arguments other than for yourself. BTW I never wore my hat sideways and the Evo exhaust is not a far can, most ppl spend a good $600 - $1000 for HKS or Greddy exhuasts which the last time I checked are pretty high quality.

I also don't think it's valid to say Porsche or BMW customers will never consider Evo or STis, what about me, or Nine, or the OP? Last time I checked, a large portion of members here came from these two cars. What about all those 335 drivers? I bet there's a bigger percentage that considered the Evo and Sti.

The facts are, Evo/STi are absolute MONSTERS if you're willing to spend $3k-$5 on it. It'll tear up the M3 and spit it out. it'll beat the M3 on on the drag, on a road course, on a dirt course, in the snow, any where, you name it, it'll be faster.

That said, I never wanted to do full track duty on my old Evo and to setting it up as such will decrease the streetablity of the car. So, my comment on the M3 being a good all rounder is the main reason I bought the car.
That's the part that you are missing. You USED to have one.

I drive a modded 335i now and NEVER EVER even remotely considered an Sti or Evo. You are talking about two completely different demographics man.

As far as beating an M3 here there and everywhere...keep dreaming. On top of that, if I wanted a dedicated drag/track car, I'd shell out $40K and get an '06Z06 with long tube headers,etc. and work virtually everything under the sun...and would totally obliterate a modded Sti or Evo. At the end of the day, the Sti and Evo are nice performing cars but not even remotely close to being considered in the same sentence as an M3 or 911 in terms of total package (performance, build quality, fit and finish, luxury, creature comforts,etc) It's really that simple.

Simple scenario/question - you can now afford an M3 or Porsche 911.....you are going to sit there and tell me you'd buy an STi or Evo and THINK you have a comparable car to either of those (M3 or 911)? That's rich

Last edited by alms211; 09-12-2010 at 09:12 AM.
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #73
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
That's the part that you are missing. You USED to have one.

I drive a modded 335i now and NEVER EVER even remotely considered an Sti or Evo. You are talking about two completely different demographics man.

As far as beating an M3 here there and everywhere...keep dreaming. On top of that, if I wanted a dedicated drag/track car, I'd shell out $40K and get an '06Z06 with long tube headers,etc. and work virtually everything under the sun...and would totally obliterate a modded Sti or Evo.At the end of the day, the Sti and Evo are nice performing cars but not even remotely close to being considered in the same sentence as an M3 or 911 in terms of total package (performance, build quality, fit and finish, luxury, creature comforts,etc) It's really that simple.

Simple scenario/question - you can now afford an M3 or Porsche 911.....you are going to sit there and tell me you'd buy an STi or Evo and THINK you have a comparable car to either of those (M3 or 911)? That's rich
Wow. Just Wow.
Couldn't expect anything less than these comments from a "Modified 335i owner" I never knew how much junk 335i owners added to this forum, 335i vs. M3, modded 335i vs. M3, blah blah blah.

Ever been to a track day, have you ever seen a 400whp EVO or STI go around a track? Oops I took the bait, let's do something completely idiotic by comparing an EVO/STI and continuing pointless banter. When EVERYONE agrees the M3 is a great car, in a class of cars that is often considered the benchmark for the performance car market.

Part of being an enthusiast is being able to appreciate other cars for their positives, if you can't appreciate the performance package that an EVO or STI is without feeling that your holy grail the M3 being threatened, well you've got to seriously re-think your choice of a hobby.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #74
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Wow. Just Wow.
Couldn't expect anything less than these comments from a "Modified 335i owner" I never knew how much junk 335i owners added to this forum, 335i vs. M3, modded 335i vs. M3, blah blah blah.

Ever been to a track day, have you ever seen a 400whp EVO or STI go around a track? Oops I took the bait, let's do something completely idiotic by comparing an EVO/STI and continuing pointless banter. When EVERYONE agrees the M3 is a great car, in a class of cars that is often considered the benchmark for the performance car market.

Part of being an enthusiast is being able to appreciate other cars for their positives, if you can't appreciate the performance package that an EVO or STI is without feeling that your holy grail the M3 being threatened, well you've got to seriously re-think your choice of a hobby.
Wow....you do indeed have a reading comprehension problem. Please go back and see EVERY post in this thread where I mentioned the performance of the Sti and Evo. They are great performers and I NEVER denied it. They have a different target audience than those purchasing an M3. That was my original point and continues to be so. I know of no one that is looking for a DD and is cross shopping an E9xM3 with an Evo or Sti. NOBODY. Sure there are those that would entertain one as a "second" car.

Once you start the "modding" of any car (see your 400hp comment above)...the original discussion goes out the window. Yes, I have been to the track many, many times and most recently in the seat of a ZR1 about 45 days ago. I know a little bit about race prepped cars.

You are not talking to some fanboi. All you have to do is look at my signature and see the mix of cars that I have owned in the past 3-4 years and it is abundantly clear. Wise up.
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #75
Genericuser1
Lieutenant
 
Drives: four wheels
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: usa

Posts: 579
iTrader: (0)

Pretty sure there has been more than one M3 vs. STI or Evo thread on this forum. A simple search would have turned it up but I'm guessing that wasn't your intent.

The STI is a good overall car for its price; the 2011 car is even better. You have over $20k price difference between the M3 and STI. Just sit in each without even driving and you can feel it. Last time I looked the M3 didn't have trunk liner for its cabin headliner, unlike my 08 STI.

Then of course I couldn't pack in 4 rims and carry my 7 year old in an M3 either while driving in 6 inches of snow. To there are trade-offs but given the opportunity, I'll take the M3.

You interlagos blue, 09 sedan ownerís with bamboo interior take good care of your M3ís, Iíll be looking in March of 2012. Feel free to do some tasteful mods like CF lip, diffuser, and kidney grills.
Genericuser1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #76
agentm
Private
 
agentm's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, X3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

I ate a STi last week. This guy picked a wrong M to play. He did pretty good consider I have S/C.
__________________
2004 M3 Silver Gray / CSL Header and Cats / RE El Diablo Exhaust / Hotchkis Swaybar / KW v2 / RD Sport Rims 19' / Falken FK-452 tires / Reinforcement Kit / Smoke Corner / 50% Tinted / Painted Shadow Grille / Umnitza Halo light / Hanman Lip / CF Diffusor / Autosolution SSK 30% / Aluminum Foot Pedals / AA Shift knob / AA Sport Fan Clutch / 3.91 Diff
Active Auto HKS Gen 6 Level 1.5 S/C
agentm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #77
ChinoOrtega
Captain
 
ChinoOrtega's Avatar
 
Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Guatemala

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

I don't think you can compare an STI to an M3, but I know a couple of friends who own STI's and Evo's as their track car, even a guys with 997TT have them, they are great cars for the price, and really good track cars, they are just in a different class, but great performance wise, I would think the thread should be...Would you guys consider an STI for a dedicated RACE TRACK car
__________________
ChinoOrtega is offline   Guatemala
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #78
88Mph
New Member
 
Drives: C240
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
LMAO at myself, i dont know what i was on dat day

i tought i saw SI
You made me do a wtf face attempt and got me to google it thinking I have been out of the loop.

Bang for buck (up to a point) there are tons of cars that are better than an m3. Since for the most part we need something that goes from A to B.

I find the STI to be good performer and when tuned they can be scary. I personally find them hard on the eyes.

We all want the best we can get at our price range and to be honest from a vehicle class perspective the sti is not close to the m3. We may not like to admit it but image and brand can play a part in our purchasing decision.

So it could be a little bruising to the ego when a less expensive car is compared to a more expensive car.

I won't dump on the STI because they are good cars and bring solid performance for a decent price. I will take steaming dumps over people who drive anything and feel the need to red red rover at every traffic light though.

All cars are good
Some people, well not so much.
88Mph is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #79
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
 
Drives: JB E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City

Posts: 512
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
M3 drives like a fat car?? I am afraid you indeed are a troll.

An 8400 rpm redline and piston speeds approaching F1 racing cars cannot be had in your STI. Everytime I hear an STI with or without that big fart can, the boxer engine sounds just about the worst thing south of the ricer clan.

For some objective view, compare professionally tested lap times and they simply are not even in the same league on any level.

To start off, Lightning lap of 2008 chart

#21 - BMW E92 M3 3:05.6
#48 - Subaru WRX STI 3:19



I agree with the M3 guys, "M3 does everything well" so much so that the old E46 M3 was the Japanese JDM Spec C STI benchmark for development according to the chief engineer.
I agree with you here buddy...
__________________

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
NYCM3ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #80
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
 
zhangzeyuandss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 MW m3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indianapolis,IN

Posts: 900
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via AIM to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via MSN to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via Yahoo to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via Skype™ to zhangzeyuandss
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LOL View Post
No arguments from me with this statement. I am definitely not trying to convince anyone an sti is better than an m3, especially an m3 forum, it is NOT a better car. It is a rattle-box w/ a shit stereo and not many amenities, I will be the first to admit that. But pure performance it is not that far off of the m3.
while yes... the stereo does sounds like crap to me.. I drove my friend's sti 09 for a day...I think the logic 7 in the regular 3 is much better than that.. but I felt kind of disappointed with the m3's premium sound system...not really that good... .. for performance wise, STI is a really good car, a lot of lower end torq ,great power band,good pedal feel... do not like how the brake feel though, but for that kind of money STI is a unbeatable bargain.. better than evo x..If I was looking to buy a car in that particular price range, i would consider buying it..
__________________

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
zhangzeyuandss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #81
madfast
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Wow....you do indeed have a reading comprehension problem. Please go back and see EVERY post in this thread where I mentioned the performance of the Sti and Evo. They are great performers and I NEVER denied it. They have a different target audience than those purchasing an M3. That was my original point and continues to be so. I know of no one that is looking for a DD and is cross shopping an E9xM3 with an Evo or Sti. NOBODY. Sure there are those that would entertain one as a "second" car.

Once you start the "modding" of any car (see your 400hp comment above)...the original discussion goes out the window. Yes, I have been to the track many, many times and most recently in the seat of a ZR1 about 45 days ago. I know a little bit about race prepped cars.

You are not talking to some fanboi. All you have to do is look at my signature and see the mix of cars that I have owned in the past 3-4 years and it is abundantly clear. Wise up.
i cross shopped my current evo with the E90 M3. people like that DO exist. i however did not need to buy an expensive car to get what i want out of it. the evo does what i need and does it very well. could i have spent double the price and get an M3? sure! but it ISN'T double the car...
madfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #82
madfast
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by formgen View Post
I went by the Subi dealership here in Charleston and they flat out told me no Sti test drives. Seriously, I'm driving a $80K M3 and you are not going to let me see if this Sti is worth being a second car in my garage. They told me Sti owners are picky and dont want one with mileage. How am I supposed to know I want one unless I drive it, come on now, this is a $34K car not a P, M, or whatever car. It's in the same leage as a Mustang which you can test drive all day long.
this is true. STi and Evos arent volume sellers. the dealer may have only ordered 1 or 2 to keep in stock with nothing else coming in for months. knowing that us owners want virgin cars, they wont give anybody test drives. its not about price. its about the salability of the vehicle once it has been test driven...
madfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #83
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,766
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
but it ISN'T double the car...
Sure it is. Just not in what you personally look for in a car. You can't use performance as the only category on a car's value.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #84
madfast
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Sure it is. Just not in what you personally look for in a car. You can't use performance as the only category on a car's value.
anybody who has actually driven both cars and is unbiased would disagree...
madfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #85
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Sure it is. Just not in what you personally look for in a car. You can't use performance as the only category on a car's value.
Qullaity does not increase linearly with price. You rarely get twice the car for twice the money. The more you spend the smaller the improvements become. Is a Ferrari 4 times as good as an M3?

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #86
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
this is true. STi and Evos arent volume sellers. the dealer may have only ordered 1 or 2 to keep in stock with nothing else coming in for months. knowing that us owners want virgin cars, they wont give anybody test drives. its not about price. its about the salability of the vehicle once it has been test driven...
And it is also about how convinced the dealer is that he is going to sell it.
If the dealer know that there is high demand there is little incentive to have people test drive.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #87
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,766
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Qullaity does not increase linearly with price. You rarely get twice the car for twice the money. The more you spend the smaller the improvements become. Is a Ferrari 4 times as good as an M3?

CA
I'm not referring only to quality. There are things like EDC and the carbon fiber roof. Yes, it's "mostly" aesthetic, but how much would that add to the price of an EVO? We're not only talking parts, but all the engineering and R&D put into it. Then there's the high-revving S65. How much would it cost Mitsubishi to develop and sell a car with an engine like that? Those things give more value to the M3. Otherwise this forum is full of idiots or people with way too much money.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #88
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Qullaity does not increase linearly with price. You rarely get twice the car for twice the money. The more you spend the smaller the improvements become. Is a Ferrari 4 times as good as an M3?

CA
Agreed, also depends on your definition of "good" is.
Personally, i feel paying 67k sticker for the E90 M3 is not worth the price printed. But I have different criterias on what I think is a worth 67k sticker. I think this thread's trended way too much into the "subjective" categories as I mentioned before.

As someone mentioned, if you look beyond the pure performance numbers, the leather, look and feel of the car all caters to the buyer's subjective tastes, and if one feels compelled that paying 67k for a E90 or around 70K for E92 is worth it, then BMW has done their job properly. Else someone else like me would buy a pre-owned one.

I'd like to see someone try to disbute this comment. And yes I can afford to pay 67k.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST