BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Steve Thomas BMW

09-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #111
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Two Iranian grand ayatollahs issued fatwas calling for the killing of those who insult the Koran, including anyone who burns the Islamic holy book
Peaceful Muslims: this is your big chance! Time to take to the streets, protesting these Fatwahs as a disproportionate response to burning a Koran, as an an act that maintains they "myth" the Islam is a violent and barbaric religion. Such a protest will let you reclaim the agenda, and show how disgusted Muslims are with threats of violence, and by other Muslims tranishing the name of Islam. Please let me know when and where the protest will be.

Maybe you can oppose Sharia while you're at it, like the recent hanging of two homosexuals, or the proposed stoning of an adulterer. A few brave young Iranians do, but not enough to make change. Show your support.
      09-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #112
ghosthi32
Banned

Drives: Water camel

Oops I've insulted the Koran once in Iran lol

Iranian government can kiss my ass. I hate the mullahs
      09-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #113
SfValley335i
Colonel

Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Peaceful Muslims: this is your big chance! Time to take to the streets, protesting these Fatwahs as a disproportionate response to burning a Koran, as an an act that maintains they "myth" the Islam is a violent and barbaric religion. Such a protest will let you reclaim the agenda, and show how disgusted Muslims are with threats of violence, and by other Muslims tranishing the name of Islam. Please let me know when and where the protest will be.

Maybe you can oppose Sharia while you're at it, like the recent hanging of two homosexuals, or the proposed stoning of an adulterer. A few brave young Iranians do, but not enough to make change. Show your support.

Similar to how all Christians, Jews, Hindu's etc stood up against Pastor Terry Jones when he spoke about his stupid intensions????
SfValley335i is offline   Afghanistan
      09-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #114
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
I burnt my copy of the Quran!

'Tis a joke.
Attached Images

Last edited by Seminole; 09-14-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Seminole is online now   United_States
      09-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #115
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Similar to how all Christians, Jews, Hindu's etc stood up against Pastor Terry Jones when he spoke about his stupid intensions????

Really? You are going there? You don't see the differences between the two actions? Burning a book is one thing, but issuing a fatwa to kill all infidels who insult the Qur'an is on a completely different level.

Unbelievable....
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      09-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #116
SfValley335i
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Really? You are going there? You don't see the differences between the two actions? Burning a book is one thing, but issuing a fatwa to kill all infidels who insult the Qur'an is on a completely different level.

Unbelievable....

To you the Quran might just be a book but others will die for it. Btw you already made a mistake, the fatwa was to kill those that burn the Quran, NOT kill ALL infidels.
      09-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #117
scollins

Quote:
To you the Quran might just be a book but others will die for it. Btw you already made a mistake, the fatwa was to kill those that burn the Quran, NOT kill ALL infidels.
Doesn't really support the "peace and tolerance" aspect you've been trying to convince us exists if someone is going to murder someone because that person burned a book.

And, doesn't the fatwa say to kill those that insult the Qur'an, especially those that burn it? And wouldn't only an infidel commit such an act? So wouldn't it stand to reason that the fatwa basically says to kill all infidels who insult and/or burn the Qur'an? I didn't say this fatwa said to kill all infidels (reading is fundamental), that one came from Bin Laden a couple of years ago....
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
      09-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #118
SfValley335i
Colonel

Quote:

Unbelievable....
Quote:
Doesn't really support the "peace and tolerance" aspect you've been trying to convince us exists if someone is going to murder someone because that person burned a book.

And, doesn't the fatwa say to kill those that insult the Qur'an, especially those that burn it? And wouldn't only an infidel commit such an act? So wouldn't it stand to reason that the fatwa basically says to kill all infidels who insult and/or burn the Qur'an? I didn't say this fatwa said to kill all infidels (reading is fundamental), that one came from Bin Laden a couple of years ago....

Check whats in bold.... You did say fatwa said to kill all infidels....

Anyways, the damn muslims are peaceful until you fuck with their religion. Tolerance? Yes it is but to a point, no religion expects one to just sit and watch others trample and burn your holy book. I highly doubt your religious book says to turn a blind eye when someone is attacking your religion. I mean if your a highly religious person and I come out saying I'm going to burn your holy book, your religion is bogus and a hoax. I'm sure you would come after me, you probably wouldnt kill because your worried about jail or don't care enough to risk everything for your religion, but MOST muslims will risk everything for their deen. As Muslims we say we are Muslim first and our nationality comes second.

Dude you keep referring to the Quran as if its a fucking Dr. Seuss BOOK. I dont think you've seen how muslims treat the Quran or how we handle it, until then you will not fully understand its value to us.

The fatwa is pretty clear, I'm not sure why your bringing up infidels etc. It said Kill those that insult and anyone that burns the Quran plain and simple.

I'm going to try my best to stay out of this thread, its bad for my health, keep believing your BS it wont get you anywhere.
      09-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #119
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
As Muslims we say we are Muslim first and our nationality comes second.
This is a truly profound statement.

No one should be surprised by muslim actions.

Reminds me of the punchline to the old joke..."Why are you surprised, I told you I was a snake?"
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      09-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #120
MONSTER11
Private First Class

Drives: '11 Mustang 5.0

Quote:
It would help if you could spell when referring to something as stupid...
      09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #121
carve
Major

Quote:
Anyways, the damn muslims are peaceful until you fuck with their religion.
That's a pretty damn big qualification there! It also leaves a LOT of room for interpretation. Burning a Koran doesn't turn people non-muslim. How about other religions converting people that could've been converted to Islam? Is that fucking with the religion? The only reasonable things to get violent over are 1) In defense, as a response to violence directed at Muslims for being Muslim and 2) To defend your freedom to practice your religion. If there was a bill to make Islam illegal, for example, I could see getting violent over that.

Quote:
Tolerance? Yes it is but to a point, no religion expects one to just sit and watch others trample and burn your holy book.
Nobody expected that. I think it was expected Muslism would get mad. However, lots of Muslims seem to be under the impression that being offended is license to comit violence. These Fatwas are a prime example.

Quote:
I highly doubt your religious book says to turn a blind eye when someone is attacking your religion. I mean if your a highly religious person and I come out saying I'm going to burn your holy book, your religion is bogus and a hoax. I'm sure you would come after me, you probably wouldnt kill because your worried about jail or don't care enough to risk everything for your religion, but MOST muslims will risk everything for their deen. As Muslims we say we are Muslim first and our nationality comes second.
That's the problem!!! That's what we've been saying!!! They'll fly off the handle for something that does no harm, but is merely offensive. It seems we are in agreement over this, so I'm not sure why you've been debating me this whole time. You're even saying MOST Muslims, while I've been trying to play it off as a minority.

Nobody has a right to not be offended. BTW- HAVING a religion is implicitly saying that other religions are bogus and a hoax. Otherwise you'd belong to that religion. Does this give licesne to war on the infidels? How is it any different? It's the same damn thing- just less overt and inflamiatory, if you'll pardon the pun.

Quote:
Dude you keep referring to the Quran as if its a fucking Dr. Seuss BOOK. I dont think you've seen how muslims treat the Quran or how we handle it, until then you will not fully understand its value to us.

The fatwa is pretty clear, I'm not sure why your bringing up infidels etc. It said Kill those that insult and anyone that burns the Quran plain and simple.

I'm going to try my best to stay out of this thread, its bad for my health, keep believing your BS it wont get you anywhere.
Dude- THAT is the problem. it's what this whole thread is about. I thought you were a moderate, but here you are defending people willing to kill because they were offended. You're begining to paint Islam as a religion of irrational violence.

Non-Muslims don't have to follow Islamic rules and traditions. This didn't harm anybody...didn't make any Muslims apostate (which would be FINE, by the way), etc. It was a dick move to hold this Koran burning for sure...but so what? Muslims VERIFIED the very attitude this guy was protesting. So damn stupid.

Oh- and until you can prove and verify otherwise, the Koran is as believable as a Dr. Seuss book, as far as the supernatural claims go. Why do you think the creator of the universe was sending messages to some illiterate guy sitting in a cave in 6th century Arabia? Why is that a credible story? How is it any more believable than Joseph Smith's story (founder of Mormonism)?

Last edited by carve; 09-15-2010 at 01:00 PM.
      09-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #122
ghosthi32
Banned

Drives: Water camel

all religions are hocus pocus.
      09-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #123
SfValley335i
Colonel

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/20...14/119255.html

Quote:
Share Send Save Print
[ Tuesday, 14 September 2010 ]

In response to calls for Quran burning
Jordanian Muslims plant flowers in church

Jordanian youths give flowers to the church pastor
DUBAI (Al Arabiya)

A group of Muslim Jordanian youths planted flowers in one of the capital’s major churches in an attempt to promote tolerance and respond to the recent calls in the U.S. for burning the Quran.

Priests at the Church of the Annunciation in the Jordanian capital Amman received Tuesday a group of Muslims who came to plant flowers in the church’s courtyard and offered bouquets to several clerics as a show of unity between Muslims and Christians, according to local press reports Tuesday.

" This man has vile intentions and there is no way he is a true Christian because Christianity preaches love and tolerance. He does not deserve to be the pastor of a church "
Father Constantine Qarmash
Father Constantine Qarmash, who headed the delegation that witnessed the flower planting, gave a speech to the visitors that started with greeting them on the occasion of the Muslim holiday Eid al-Adham marking trhe end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan.

In his speech, Father Qarmash referred to the latest calls by Florida pastor Terry Jones to burn the Quran on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks as "fanatical" and said the pastor does not belong to Christianity.

“This man has vile intentions and there is no way he is a true Christian because Christianity preaches love and tolerance. He does not deserve to be the pastor of a church.”

Zaid al-Ouaidi, who inititated the move, said that he got the idea when he was thinking of a peaceful response to the calls of burning the Quran which outraged Muslims all over the world and triggered a wide spat of protests.

“I wanted to show the world that Islam is a religion of peace which calls for tolerance and co-existence,” he said.

Ouaidi added that the church greeted the idea with enthusiasm and gave the Muslim delegation a warm welcome and accepted the flowers they offered.

“Those flowers are a symbol of enhancing the values of tolerance and of the longstanding relationship between Islam and Christianity,” he concluded.
      09-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #124
carve
Major

Nice kids. I'd rather see someone telling the people who want to get violent how wrong they are though, and trying to prevent violence. That would actually make a difference.

Here are the differences.
Action: Jerk want to have a koran burning
Response- threats of death and violence from Muslims (as well as condemnation from Christians)

Action: Threats of death and violence from Muslims over something that wouldn't hurt anyone
Response: Shrugs of bewilderment over how people could be so evil. Outspoken people like me will even say how wrong they are for this. Notice how nobody is saying these people (Ayatollas etc.) should be killed, or even attacked, over threatening the lives of others. Why is that? Why do you think I'm the one who looks like an outspoken jerk, and you're rationalizing and defending the threats of homicidal maniacs?

Last edited by carve; 09-15-2010 at 05:13 PM.
      09-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #125
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 11 335i e92

Quote:
Nice kids. I'd rather see someone telling the people who want to get violent how wrong they are though, and trying to prevent violence. That would actually make a difference.

Response- threats of death and violence from Muslims

Action: Threats of death and violence from Muslims over something that wouldn't hurt anyone
Response: Shrugs of bewilderment over how people could be so evil. Outspoken people like me will even say how wrong they are for this. Notice how nobody is saying these people (Ayatollas etc.) should be killed, or even attacked, over threatening the lives of others. Why is that? Why do you think I'm the one who looks like an outspoken jerk, and you're rationalizing and defending the threats of homicidal maniacs?

Well put, come to NY and ill buy you a beer.
jmar0351 is offline   United_States
      09-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #126
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Check whats in bold.... You did say fatwa said to kill all infidels....

Anyways, the damn muslims are peaceful until you fuck with their religion. Tolerance? Yes it is but to a point, no religion expects one to just sit and watch others trample and burn your holy book. I highly doubt your religious book says to turn a blind eye when someone is attacking your religion. I mean if your a highly religious person and I come out saying I'm going to burn your holy book, your religion is bogus and a hoax. I'm sure you would come after me, you probably wouldnt kill because your worried about jail or don't care enough to risk everything for your religion, but MOST muslims will risk everything for their deen. As Muslims we say we are Muslim first and our nationality comes second.

You've summed up everything. They are peaceful until you screw with their religion. To a practicing Muslim, their religion encompasses every aspect of their life. ie. screw with a mulim's anything and they may kill you? WTF?? I also beg to differ. As Carve has pointed out the Bible teaches to you turn the other cheek. It teaches us to pray for our enemies, not kill and maim them for burning a book. This is the problem with organized religion. There are stupid rules made up by man to suit their needs. You think God cares about a book? I'm pretty sure He finds other things on this earth to be more important.

Here is the thing most people understand. The Quran is made of what... paper, ink, maybe leather, etc... The Quran has been through a dirty, old, possibly defiled printing machine. It's paper and ink. The book itself has not been touched by or written by Allah or Mohammed. The words of your religion appear to be immortal, they will likely live forever in some type of manuscript. Why then would muslims be willing to give up everything (by killing someone of course) for insulting a book? It is a book mind you, just like my Bible.

Now if took your Quran from your hand and threw it into a sewer, i would expect to get a punch in the mouth, even if i told you i would buy you another. I would be rather surprised if you whipped out a pistol and killed me for it. However, if i were a betting man, i'd stake large quantities of money on the fact that you would have to do that to over 1000 christian's bibles before you realized a violent reaction.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      09-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #127
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:

Response- threats of death and violence from Muslims (as well as condemnation from Christians)

Exactly what i was thinking. nice group of kids. What, a hand full? 20 or 30? 100? i don't know, but the outcry against the idiot pastor from HIS OWN kind far out weighed the effort put forth by a small group of kids wanting to create unity between muslims and christians. (which as i understand, could never be possible for a true practicing muslim.)

Your illustration of contrast is simple and direct.

The flip side to that is that the majority of those openly and vehemently opposing the proposed actions of the idiot pastor; did so because they feared even more strife between muslims and the rest of the world due to the expected retaliation. Everyone feared what would happen if islamic extremists had this kind of bulletin board material to react to. Forget what a few people on M3post think. The world pissed itself and spoke out revealing their fear of the peaceful muslim population.

I think they would have been opposed to his actions if they thought muslims wouldn't retaliate. But they wouldn't have been so vocal about it because this is America. And like i said before; for a short time it's still the land of the free to burn what ever books we want to. I'm glad this guy didn't go through with his proposal, but i wish at least political America would have taken a different stance on this that showed a little backbone. Saying that they don't agree with his plan, but he is an American and we will not violate his right to free speech.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      09-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #128
carve
Major

You know what's truly ironic: You can't depict Mohammad isn't supposed to be depicted because of fear of idolatry. However, when it comes to paper and ink, somehow the form of the paper and ink matters. How are Muslims not idolizing the Koran in this instance?
      09-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #129
scollins

More "Peace and tolerance" in the news.....

http://www.seattleweekly.com/2010-09...ars-from-view/

Quote:
On the Advice of the FBI, Cartoonist Molly Norris Disappears From View
Her work won't be in Seattle Weekly anymore, or anywhere else.
By Mark D. Fefer Wednesday, Sep 15 2010

You may have noticed that Molly Norris' comic is not in the paper this week. That's because there is no more Molly.

The gifted artist is alive and well, thankfully. But on the insistence of top security specialists at the FBI, she is, as they put it, "going ghost": moving, changing her name, and essentially wiping away her identity. She will no longer be publishing cartoons in our paper or in City Arts magazine, where she has been a regular contributor. She is, in effect, being put into a witness-protection program—except, as she notes, without the government picking up the tab. It's all because of the appalling fatwa issued against her this summer, following her infamous "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" cartoon.

Norris views the situation with her customary sense of the world's complexity, and absurdity. When FBI agents, on a recent visit, instructed her to always keep watch for anyone following her, she responded, "Well, at least it'll keep me from being so self-involved!" It was, she says, the first time the agents managed a smile. She likens the situation to cancer—it might basically be nothing, it might be urgent and serious, it might go away and never return, or it might pop up again when she least expects it.

We're hoping the religious bigots go into full and immediate remission, and we wish her the best.
Related story from July:
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...mmed_day_1.php
Quote:
Molly Norris, "Draw Mohammed Day" Cartoonist, Placed On Execution Hitlist By Islamic Cleric Anwar al-Awlaki
By Caleb Hannan, Mon., Jul. 12 2010 @ 8:08AM

Molly Norris was already stressed. As we mentioned in May, the Seattle cartoonist had lost seven pounds after her tongue-in-cheek declaration that April 20 should be known as "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" ignited a religious firestorm. "It's been horrible," she said nearly two months ago. "I'm just trying to breathe and get through it." Which makes you wonder how she's doing now that a radical Islamic cleric has publicly ordered her be executed.

From the New York Daily News:

Quote:
The Yemeni-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki - the radical who's also been cited as inspiring the Fort Hood, Tex., massacre and the plot by two New Jersey men to kill U.S. soldiers - singled out artist Molly Norris as a "prime target," saying her "proper abode is Hellfire."
Awlaki, a 39-year-old born in New Mexico and pictured up top, made the comments in the June issue of "Inspire," an English-language magazine meant to help radicalize American Muslim youth. (One counter-terrorism official described it as "Al Qaeda's 'Tiger Beat.'")

​The threat didn't become public until now because authorities had thought it might be fake. Something they realized wasn't true when the full, 67-page issue was recently posted on a jihadi message board.

"We understand the absolute seriousness of a threat from an Al Qaeda inspired magazine and are attempting to do everything in our power to assist the individuals on that list to effectively protect themselves and change their behavior to make themselves less of a target," David Gomez, the FBI's assistant special agent in charge of counter-terrorism in Seattle, told the News.

In one of the comments about these articles, a particularly astute observation was made by someone:
"There are at least two problems with Islam: 1.) It is too easily offended and 2.) the punishment is always death!"

Seems like a pretty fair and accurate representation....
      09-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #130
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
More "Peace and tolerance" in the news.....

In one of the comments about these articles, a particularly astute observation was made by someone:
"There are at least two problems with Islam: 1.) It is too easily offended and 2.) the punishment is always death!"

Seems like a pretty fair and accurate representation....
This is exactly why it is wrong to compare zealots like the Pastor from Florida with the Muslim extremists. It's not apples to apples at all.

In a way, it's almost too bad that the burning didnt actually happen. If it did, then it would be an opportunity to the Muslims to prove they are not extremist and wildly irrational.

If they react by burning a stack of Bibles, then at least you could honestly say that the two groups of religious zealots are apples to apples, equally nuts, but not a risk to public safety in general. That would go a long, long way to helping their cause, and stopping people from treating them differently than they treat others who are of a different religion.

If they kill someone, it simply proves the point of the anti-muslim groups that they are, essentially savages. All the rhetoric about the peace loving nature of their beliefs will be thrown out the window for good. Once and for all they lose the ability to try and lump themselves in with the crazy (yet physically harmless) pastor from Florida.

For some odd reason, otherwise intelligent and rational followers of Islam find it surprisingly hard to understand the as long as that is the response to any perceived slight against their religion, then the average person is NOT going to believe the story of the "peace loving muslim", and they will always be treated accordingly. I can equally trash the religious book of a Christian, a Jew, a Buddhist, and a Muslim, and only 1 of those 4 will respond with the disproportionate reaction. As long as that is the case, then people will associate that group with others who are perceived to be equally unpredictable and dangerous and irrational, ie terrorists. People dont understand it, in fact the cannot even fathom what to them is a insanely exaggerated over-reaction, something they would never do themselves, so they will associate that with another well known group who also behaves in a way they find frightening and incomprehensible.

I am neither christian, nor muslim. However, if I had to choose to live next to the crazy pastor from Florida, or next to someone who would kill me if I told him the stick man I drew in the sand at the beach was my depiction of mohammed, guess which one I would choose ?
      09-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #131
SfValley335i
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
This is exactly why it is wrong to compare zealots like the Pastor from Florida with the Muslim extremists. It's not apples to apples at all.

In a way, it's almost too bad that the burning didnt actually happen. If it did, then it would be an opportunity to the Muslims to prove they are not extremist and wildly irrational.

If they react by burning a stack of Bibles, then at least you could honestly say that the two groups of religious zealots are apples to apples, equally nuts, but not a risk to public safety in general. That would go a long, long way to helping their cause, and stopping people from treating them differently than they treat others who are of a different religion.

If they kill someone, it simply proves the point of the anti-muslim groups that they are, essentially savages. All the rhetoric about the peace loving nature of their beliefs will be thrown out the window for good. Once and for all they lose the ability to try and lump themselves in with the crazy (yet physically harmless) pastor from Florida.

For some odd reason, otherwise intelligent and rational followers of Islam find it surprisingly hard to understand the as long as that is the response to any perceived slight against their religion, then the average person is NOT going to believe the story of the "peace loving muslim", and they will always be treated accordingly. I can equally trash the religious book of a Christian, a Jew, a Buddhist, and a Muslim, and only 1 of those 4 will respond with the disproportionate reaction. As long as that is the case, then people will associate that group with others who are perceived to be equally unpredictable and dangerous and irrational, ie terrorists. People dont understand it, in fact the cannot even fathom what to them is a insanely exaggerated over-reaction, something they would never do themselves, so they will associate that with another well known group who also behaves in a way they find frightening and incomprehensible.

I am neither christian, nor muslim. However, if I had to choose to live next to the crazy pastor from Florida, or next to someone who would kill me if I told him the stick man I drew in the sand at the beach was my depiction of mohammed, guess which one I would choose ?

There was a burning in NYC which was aired in the Middle east... Its just that the U.S. media didnt show the protests from it.
      09-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #132
Feyd
Major

Drives: a DEEZZULL

Gotta give this one an hearty LOL.

Serves this dude and his followers right.

http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...stion-1230133/