BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
GBX
Lieutenant
GBX's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 335xi MB/SB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 335xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to GBX
e90 LCI Boot Lid Options

What options are out there for a CSL style boot lid? The Vorsteiner E90 Sedan LCI Facelift VRS Aero Boot Lid looks like a great option, especially for the price of $895. I like the Challenge trunk but is it really worth the extra $1,000? I don't want any exposed carbon fiber, so id paint the whole trunk regardless Anyone seen both the Vortseiner and Challenge? What are the major differences? What other options are out there?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,083
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

The search function is your friend:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418515
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
GBX
Lieutenant
GBX's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 335xi MB/SB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 335xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to GBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The search function is your friend:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418515
Yeah, i've seen this thread. But I'm looking for real world comparison and experiences. Most importantly, visual differences.....angle of the lip, etc. Side by side pics would be awesome too if anyone has em.

Last edited by GBX; 09-06-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
NatAsp-M3
Private
NatAsp-M3's Avatar
4
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

I have the Challenge on order. It's different because the spoiler doesn't elevate but extends straight back. Some of the others just distort the flow lines and when I price compared, it was only a few hundred more for the challenge - plus the thing is LIGHT!! The last thing you want to do is get something you aren't happy with and later wish you had spent a few hundred more for something you'd rather have.
__________________

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
GBX
Lieutenant
GBX's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 335xi MB/SB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 335xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to GBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 View Post
I have the Challenge on order. It's different because the spoiler doesn't elevate but extends straight back. Some of the others just distort the flow lines and when I price compared, it was only a few hundred more for the challenge - plus the thing is LIGHT!! The last thing you want to do is get something you aren't happy with and later wish you had spent a few hundred more for something you'd rather have.
agreed 100% but i really have no need to carbon fiber since i'll be paiting the whole trunk. When looking at the price of the Vorsteiner FRP at $895, its tough to justify the extra $1,000 for the Challenge. Any chance they'll make one in FRP? Also, have any side-by-side pics comparing those 2?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
SV Concepts II
SV Concepts II's Avatar
United_States
129
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F Campbell, CA 95008

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
What options are out there for a CSL style boot lid? The Vorsteiner E90 Sedan LCI Facelift VRS Aero Boot Lid looks like a great option, especially for the price of $895. I like the Challenge trunk but is it really worth the extra $1,000? I don't want any exposed carbon fiber, so id paint the whole trunk regardless Anyone seen both the Vortseiner and Challenge? What are the major differences? What other options are out there?
The Vorsteiner DVWP trunk is a good option for you since you're planning on getting it painted anyhow.

The fact of the matter is that Vorsteiner guarantees the fit/finish, which is something I'd love to see other manufacturers match. That alone should justify jumping on the VRS, IMHO.

As always to get more detailed information and other member's opinions, before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
GBX
Lieutenant
GBX's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 335xi MB/SB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 335xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to GBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
The Vorsteiner DVWP trunk is a good option for you since you're planning on getting it painted anyhow.

The fact of the matter is that Vorsteiner guarantees the fit/finish, which is something I'd love to see other manufacturers match. That alone should justify jumping on the VRS, IMHO.

As always to get more detailed information and other member's opinions, before pulling the trigger.
got any good pics handy of the e90 trunk painted and installed? Multiple angles would be ideal! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
vividracing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
vividracing's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
3,746
Posts


 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to vividracing
If you are looking for a CSL-style trunk, Vorsteiner is easily your best bet for reasons that JLevi have mentioned. The Challenge trunk is nice, but IMO does not necessarily qualify as a "CSL-style" unit - it is a much more unique, sweeping design.

If you are opting to paint the trunk entirely, the DVWP version should suit your needs just fine though I remain steadfast that the single-sided version is worth a look as well (mind the coupe photos).

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...n-p-75047.html

Shoot me a PM and we'll go over specifics so you know what I'm talking about!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
SV Concepts II
SV Concepts II's Avatar
United_States
129
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F Campbell, CA 95008

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
got any good pics handy of the e90 trunk painted and installed? Multiple angles would be ideal! Thanks!
Sure thing, here you go. Shoot me a PM if you'd like a price





Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
GBX
Lieutenant
GBX's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 335xi MB/SB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 335xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to GBX
Thanks! Its tough to see how the trunk flows with the rest of the car. any pics from further back?

Also, this one seems to stick practically straight up. did Vorsteiner test for aerodynmaics? Any added wind noise?

Maybe i just like it better on the coupe....idk....

Last edited by GBX; 09-07-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
quiksi
Captain
quiksi's Avatar
Taiwan
7
Rep
764
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to quiksi
I love how aggressive that Vorsteiner bootlid looks on the E90 LCI's... matches the aggressive rear fenders so well IMO
__________________

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, RemoteKey+, Homelink retrofit, V1 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, VRS Replica CF Front Lip, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Bridgestone S04
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #12
NatAsp-M3
Private
NatAsp-M3's Avatar
4
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
agreed 100% but i really have no need to carbon fiber since i'll be paiting the whole trunk. When looking at the price of the Vorsteiner FRP at $895, its tough to justify the extra $1,000 for the Challenge. Any chance they'll make one in FRP? Also, have any side-by-side pics comparing those 2?
They make an FRP and it's called the sport model (vs race)... still expensive, but still very light.

This thread has a lot of hi-res pics so let it load for a minute, then scroll down to the Atlantis metallic blue e90 and you'll see lots of angles of the challenge. The Vorsteiner is on the first red e90 (but with the old tail lamps) and you can see the very different csl style from different angles.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405430

If you like the Vorsteiner, you should check out the Karbonwerkes which has a less dramatic curve. I'm not sure how easy they are to get, though and are still a little more than the VRS.
__________________

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST