BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Lux Angel Eyes

08-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50

Garage List
Angry Found out some interesting news......

I usually do my own detailing on all my cars but for a change I treated myself to a year anniversary gift on them M. So here is where it gets interesting I get a call from the detailer and he says that he has good and bad news? The good news is that the car looks AMAZING since he had it for a couple of days more than I can sometimes put into it with my work schedule. The bad news is that he found OVER SPRAY on my front bumper and as he pointed out under his metal halide bulbs that the color is just ever so slightly a shade or 2 darker than the rest of the car. Also he found out that the car was machine polished incorrectly and there was hologramming in the paint. I never machine cars and wash them all correctly and all my wax that I put on is applied by hand. So he asks me if I got the car new which I did I picked her up with 43 miles on the clock and was told there was never any damage etc when they presented the port paperwork. So should I confront the dealer on this or go higher up? I mean its one thing for them to just come out and tell me before I buy a NEW 70k+ car that has been sprayed and show me what was wrong with documentation. I can't believe how I never noticed this before but now that hes pointed it out its all I can see when I look at the car and I find myself looking at her differently. My gorgeous red beauty is no longer pure and I didn't even do anything. On a brighter note though he said whoever did the work KNEW that they were spraying a new car and did a really good job. But this whole thing has just really pissed me off

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Drives: E90x4 (M3, 335xi, 325xi,320i)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
I usually do my own detailing on all my cars but for a change I treated myself to a year anniversary gift on them M. So here is where it gets interesting I get a call from the detailer and he says that he has good and bad news? The good news is that the car looks AMAZING since he had it for a couple of days more than I can sometimes put into it with my work schedule. The bad news is that he found OVER SPRAY on my front bumper and as he pointed out under his metal halide bulbs that the color is just ever so slightly a shade or 2 darker than the rest of the car. Also he found out that the car was machine polished incorrectly and there was hologramming in the paint. I never machine cars and wash them all correctly and all my wax that I put on is applied by hand. So he asks me if I got the car new which I did I picked her up with 43 miles on the clock and was told there was never any damage etc when they presented the port paperwork. So should I confront the dealer on this or go higher up? I mean its one thing for them to just come out and tell me before I buy a NEW 70k+ car that has been sprayed and show me what was wrong with documentation. I can't believe how I never noticed this before but now that hes pointed it out its all I can see when I look at the car and I find myself looking at her differently. On a brighter note though he said whoever did the work KNEW that they were spraying a new car and did a really good job. But this whole thing has just really pissed me off
First response: Paragraphs are your friend.

Detailed response: if the damage is soo minute that you didnt even notice it, then whats the big deal? If there are any structural integrity issues or imperfections on your vehicle then take it up with your dealer. But if its a mere mismatch on the paint or something....

there is also the possibility of the vehicle being damaged in transport and these repairs could have been conducted at the VPC , and you have no right to this knowledge (so i have read, correct me if i am wrong). The only way to have this confirmed is if you ordered the car, tracked its progress, and notice that its at the VPC for more than 5 days as a priority 1 vehicle, then you know somethings up. otherwise, your dealer doesn't have to disclose that with you. Good luck OP, and dont sweat it.
      08-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
KASM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3

I believe there is a certain amount of damage that is legally allowed to occur on transport that the car manufacturer has to fix but doesn't have to disclose to the buyer. As long as it can be fixed to spec.You probably wont get anywhere unless your dealer did the damage/work and didnt tell you. Still tough to fight.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post

Detailed response: if the damage is soo minute that you didnt even notice it, then whats the big deal? If there are any structural integrity issues or imperfections on your vehicle then take it up with your dealer. But if its a mere mismatch on the paint or something....

there is also the possibility of the vehicle being damaged in transport and these repairs could have been conducted at the VPC , and you have no right to this knowledge (so i have read, correct me if i am wrong). The only way to have this confirmed is if you ordered the car, tracked its progress, and notice that its at the VPC for more than 5 days as a priority 1 vehicle, then you know somethings up. otherwise, your dealer doesn't have to disclose that with you. Good luck OP, and dont sweat it.

on all 3 points. My vote goes to damage during shippig and fixed at the VPC and it wasn't extensive enough to have them report it.
      08-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

That sucks. I have worked at a dealership and before and damaged cars when we were doing prep work or other things that needed to be taken care of before delivery. I can see from the dealer side why they wouldn't want you to know. I can also see it from your side, if it were I the dealer would be about to get a very unpleasant visit that would probably halt all car sales for the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
rabman5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '10 E92 M3 Jet Black

After touring the BMW Spartanburg plant I know for a fact that on the final inspection, many cars are sent back to the "body shop" to fix minor damage and such. Very common to respray before it leaves assembly plant.

2010 Jet Black DCT Coupe, LUX V3, VRS rep lip, B&B Exhaust, VMR 710 265/295 PSS.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
Rep

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post

hahahhahahha
"First response: Paragraphs are your friend."

+1

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
I can see when I look at the car and I find myself looking at her differently. My gorgeous red beauty is no longer pure and I didn't even do anything.
I see where your coming from man. You really treat your car like a woman.

It's like finding out that your gf/wife had been screwed by some guy she was with before even though she claims that you were her first.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Brosef
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M

my advice is fugetaboutit. you're never going to get anywhere with the dealer or BMWNA. think about your case for a minute: one year after taking delivery of a vehicle, you're going to tell them that they misrepresented the car they sold you.

my advice is to either (1) have your bumper resprayed or (2) forget about it. I would forget about it. if it's really that bad post some pictures of it and see what others say, but my guess is that if you didn't notice it within 12 months of ownership, it won't be noticeable in any photographs (in which case you should forget about it).

sorry to hear about this. it's a bummer, but in the scheme of life's problems, it's not worth your time.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
calintexas
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

The presence of over spray probably points to the dealer doing a repair rather than the VPC.

Dealer personnel armed with buffing machines are often extremely dangerous.
      08-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I guess we all know what it means when your car is "at the preparation center".

Last edited by mdosu; 08-30-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

again, I guess we now know what it means when she's at the "preparation center".

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post

It's like finding out that your gf/wife had been screwed by some guy she was with before even though she claims that you were her first.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3, 335i, X5

I would certainly ask the dealer about it and go from there. If you are leasing and not planning on buying the car after, then I would let it go. But if you purchased it, it is definitely worth asking the question.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: '10 E92 M3

probably damaged during transport, nothing u can do about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

I know this may not be as help full as some others, but, since your car is an 09, you are pretty much SOL. I assume you picked it up late 08 or early 09. This means you have been driving the car for well over a year.

In these situations, a court or judge, is more likely to believe that you got in an accident and fixed it off the record rather than the dealer pulled something shady and failed to mention it. Especially since you picked the car up with, im guessing, close to no miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

Yea, I would be pissed if I found out my wife had some overspray from some other guy.

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:

You'd have to be pretty naive to believe either a car dealer talking up a sale or a woman talking about giving up tail.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Dont worry about it. All of our paint jobs suck anyway!

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I doubt it, it's a court of law, innocent until proven guilty. If the dealer is making this accusation, they better have proof to back it up or it'll just be nothing than a reckless accusation.

I would say if this happened at the BMWNA prep center, they'll have documentation of this and they'll be more likely to settle with you for something. If this happened at the dealer (private business), depended on how honest they are, you probably have less chance of a settlement. (By settlement, I mean they'll give you something to make you whole)

Regardless it doesn't hurt to try. Remember, be nice to them, you win over more bees with honey than with vinegar. I really think they might offer you some type of extended paint protection, parts or service discounts or something like that. I doubt they will give you cash, no business makes money by giving out money. And if they offer anything like that, I'll take it, especially extended service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
I know this may not be as help full as some others, but, since your car is an 09, you are pretty much SOL. I assume you picked it up late 08 or early 09. This means you have been driving the car for well over a year.

In these situations, a court or judge, is more likely to believe that you got in an accident and fixed it off the record rather than the dealer pulled something shady and failed to mention it. Especially since you picked the car up with, im guessing, close to no miles.

Last edited by mdosu; 08-31-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

The dealer stated that they didn't know about it. OP said he didn't do it, so it becomes his responsibility to prove that he didn't do it, since he is accusing the dealer or BMW of repainting. So the burden of proof lies on him? right? I have no idea, thats just what would make sense to me.

Either way, its been a year, the paint looks fine, was only noticed because of paint depth measurement, and it didn't bother the OP before. Like others have said, there is a certain amount that can be done to the car before delivery that doesn't have to be disclosed. My guess is this happened before it got to the dealer. So they honestly didn't know.

If you can squeeze some free stuff out of it, cool.....but I wouldn't go and piss people off about it. Unless of course you never plan on going back to that dealer for service, new purchases, ect.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #21
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
The dealer stated that they didn't know about it. OP said he didn't do it, so it becomes his responsibility to prove that he didn't do it, since he is accusing the dealer or BMW of repainting. So the burden of proof lies on him? right? I have no idea, thats just what would make sense to me.

Either way, its been a year, the paint looks fine, was only noticed because of paint depth measurement, and it didn't bother the OP before. Like others have said, there is a certain amount that can be done to the car before delivery that doesn't have to be disclosed. My guess is this happened before it got to the dealer. So they honestly didn't know.

If you can squeeze some free stuff out of it, cool.....but I wouldn't go and piss people off about it. Unless of course you never plan on going back to that dealer for service, new purchases, ect.
No...burden of proof lies on the accuser not the accused. If I accuse you of stealing from me, it's not up to you to prove you didn't steal, I have to prove you stole from me. This is the most basic foundation of English law that is what America's law/court system is based on.

So, burden of proof would be on OP to prove dealer/BMWNA repainted. If dealer accuse him of repainting it, burden of proof is on dealer to prove it (a near impossible task).

That's what I was saying, if it happened at BMWNA's prep center, they should have documents that it was done, so if he really wanted to, he can pressure them to get the docs. BMW is a public company and they probably have higher standards than to lie and destroy documents. But BMWNA probably won't let it go that far and just give him something to make him whole.

If this is on the side of the independent dealer, i feel like half of them are sleezeballs and anything goes, they'll drag it to their grave if they have to, just my opinion. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by mdosu; 08-31-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

you didn't notice the overspray until someone with bright lights and experience pointed it out to you (you even detailed the car yourself and didn't notice it for crying out loud) --- i wouldn't make such a big deal about the whole thing

ignorance is bliss