BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

OneEighty

08-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
It doesn't?? I want my money back!!!!

Seriously there is no drone.
At idle to 1400 there is a vibration, which some would confuse as drone.

If you want drone, get a Remus. It drones from 1k-3k
I ran the Remus Sport and experienced no drone whatsoever. The Remus Race is a much different story.
      08-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #24
Nate@IND
Rep

Drives: BMW

No drone systems that I have heard in person-

Remus Sport
Eisenmann Sport
Akrapovic Slip-on
UUC
      08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 M3

i have the Dinan and there is no drone with mine, as for the power only when i added the midpipe to it did i get a real good power increase. most rear sections don't give much power and ones that claim alot of hp/tq gains i think is bs in my op
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #26
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post

Remus Sport
Eisenmann Sport
Akrapovic Slip-on
UUC
I'd like to add a couple more systems to that.

- Bastuck Clubsport
- Arqray

A couple of S/C'd members here have the Bastuck with no drone, even with catless pipes.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #27
biglare
United_States
Rep

Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i have the Dinan and there is no drone with mine, as for the power only when i added the midpipe to it did i get a real good power increase. most rear sections don't give much power and ones that claim alot of hp/tq gains i think is bs in my op
+1

I have had the Dinan exhaust installed with the stock mid-pipe and experienced zero drone.

I later installed the Dinan mid-pipe with the 4-resonator cat-delete with the Dinan exhaust and again experienced no drone. However, when I went to this setup, which was before the S/C, I experienced more power. My butt-dyno tells me something like 15-20 hp gain from the Dinan mid-pipe setup.

OP... no drone with the Dinan setup!

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 04:04 AM   #28
1stM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: e93 M3 Convertible

I bought the full Akra Evo system from Nate at IND - his service is already well documented in this forum but would just like to reiterate what a phenomenal experience it is to deal with such an honest, helpful and knowledgeable team at IND.

Anyway - the exhaust, although pricey - is without doubt the very best mod I have done on my car (and I have done plenty) - and is worth every single penny. The increased engine note and additional performance is where the hard earned cash has gone and on top of that, it just looks sheer class. No drone at all, and I love setting off all the alarms in car parks . Take away all my other mods but leave me with my Akra system - any day or the week!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #29
WCM3
canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep

Drives: 11 M3 & 95 M3t

What about the Meisterschaft guys?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #30
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post

Remus Sport
Eisenmann Sport
Akrapovic Slip-on
UUC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrack View Post
Eisenmann sport has no drone at all. Anybody knows how the race is?
Eisenmann Sport drones from 2,600-3,300RPM, give or take. Very lightly compared to other exhausts, to be sure, but it definitely drones.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 09-02-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #31
erics02wrx
?
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Remus Sport

I have had this on my car for two months now and love it. The sound is just right, how the m3 should have come from the factory. I just got back from a 2500 mile road trip and never once did I think it had drone. I am still running the stock x pipe FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #32
///Mikey e90
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 SG/B 335i Sedan

Garage List
What about AA?? I'm talking just the mufflers not the X-Pipe, etc. I too am looking for an exhaust that doesn't drone. Something that's louder than stock but livable with as a daily driver...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #33
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
I like my AA, it has an exotic sound from it and is livable. However I think there is a slight drone around 1800rpm, other than that nothing that would move me to change. I'll be installing the Challenge X-pipe on Thursday so I'll see what happens then.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #34
mmm_03
Private
Rep

Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
I like my AA, it has an exotic sound from it and is livable. However I think there is a slight drone around 1800rpm, other than that nothing that would move me to change. I'll be installing the Challenge X-pipe on Thursday so I'll see what happens then.
Hi Tio, would really appreciate if you can possibly post vids of before and after the challenge x-pipe has been installed. I want to know how much louder your AA exhaust becomes and if there are really some power gains coming from Challenge's street X-pipe. I am also seriously considering this street x-pipe to match with my Akra Slip-On. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #35
punksterz626
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 Alpine White M3

Send a message via AIM to punksterz626 Send a message via MSN to punksterz626
sorry, dumb question, what is drone?
      09-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #36
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by punksterz626 View Post
sorry, dumb question, what is drone?
the sound you get from every exhaust available for this car, even OEM (according to BMW). so good luck finding one with out. Better idea is to search for one with minimal drone.
      09-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #37
randy McMann
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E36 M3

Clutch M3: The guys that say a Remus drones are probably talking about the Race type with either an X pipe or a secondary cat' delete or resonator delete in front of it. I've been in E92 M3's w/ both their sport and their race, but on both it was all stock in front of the muff's, and neither one "droned". The race you could hear, but I wouldn't call it a "drone". When I finally get my E92 M3 (presently have '98 E 36 M3 w/ "Euro" Remus sport that I love) I'm going w/ the race version w/ everything in front of it stock. If I do decide to go w/ out front resonators or secondary cat's, I'd probably try to find someone that wants to trade for a sport version. The guys at Remus USA say that they sell a lot more race than sports, so it'll probably be easy to find. But even if I have to sell mine first, the race is only like $1.4K. I've got this all planned out - just waiting for the right "deal" - anybody looking to sell...?

RM

Here's a pic' they sent me after I talked to REMUS USA.

Last edited by randy McMann; 09-23-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #38
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 Audi S4

Stock.

And I am not joking, most the power gain is achieved by removing or swapping out cats. So if you are looking for power, keep the stock muffler.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #39
comebackid
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
Stock.

And I am not joking, most the power gain is achieved by removing or swapping out cats. So if you are looking for power, keep the stock muffler.
I assume you mean an x pipe. But what about sound? I heard an OEM exhaust with x pipe (youtube) and it didn't sound that good.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #40
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
the sound you get from every exhaust available for this car, even OEM (according to BMW). so good luck finding one with out. Better idea is to search for one with minimal drone.
Well said, this is really relative and one you one considers drone may not be considered drone to another.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #41
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey e90 View Post
What about AA?? I'm talking just the mufflers not the X-Pipe, etc. I too am looking for an exhaust that doesn't drone. Something that's louder than stock but livable with as a daily driver...
I had my system on my M for a while and can honestly so it is pleasant for a daily driver event after the break in. There are also a few other things that play a role in the noise associated with a new exhaust system.

Most exhaust have an amplified 'dragging' noise below 2500rpm which cannot be prevented with an aftermarket exhaust system. I consider drone to be the 'booming' noise you get while at cruising speeds ~3500 rpm, we have incorporated 'NCC' chambers to help address this. While we do not do this on all of our exhaust systems we felt it was important for the E9X M since the factory actually has once incorporated into the factory muffler.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #42
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

^--- Awesome sounding system... But the full system with HFC's does drone quite a bit, not bad for around town, but when you're cruising for 30 min or more on the highway it gets to be a bit much.

Actually it's more of just loud than drone... It doesn't really resonate in the cabin like some cheaper exhaust do, it's just loud after awhile.
      09-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #43
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: JB E92 335i

Take into consideration that drone is subjective as it does vary from person to person. From customer feedback, system the Remus Sport, Eisenmann Sport, Akrapovic Slip-on, and UUC systems do not drone. Also remember, that the E93 Convertible has less insulation than the E90/E92 and that the exhaust volume level will differ.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #44
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
Hope this helps.. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435311

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_03 View Post
Hi Tio, would really appreciate if you can possibly post vids of before and after the challenge x-pipe has been installed. I want to know how much louder your AA exhaust becomes and if there are really some power gains coming from Challenge's street X-pipe. I am also seriously considering this street x-pipe to match with my Akra Slip-On. Thanks in advance!

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0