BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

My Powerchip Review

I have been able to test this for a good couple of months and here is my conclusion.

I first started off with the AA software V1 which I was never really happy with. I was told by someone that the Powerchip software would be the way to go if I wanted to feel a good gain. I was at first reluctant to get another tune because I had already paid for the AA one. In the end the mod bug inside of me told me to go with the Powerchip stage II tune. So after getting the tune I was really happy with the gains that I felt. One day my car felt funny so I brought it in to a my local tech who said I had a transmission issue. He wondered why CEL did not come on. So he came to the conclusion that my CEL was completely turned off. I asked him how was that possible. He said that the person who tuned your car turned the CEL completely off but the car was still storing codes. This was not acceptable to me so I called Powerchip. They issued me a new tune with the CEL activated. Everything went well until I had to have my emissions tested. I though I would pass since the car did not have any codes. I was wrong. The car did not pass the emissions readiness test. I asked how is that possible. The tester said that the O2 sensors are not "ready." He told me to go drive it for a few days and it should be ok. I did that and I still failed. He thought that the O2 sensors were turned off. I told him that is not possible because Powerchip said they raised the O2 sensor thresholds. I called Powerchip and they said they turned off the O2 sensors. I was not happy with that because they sold me something that was not as advertised. I demanded a fix immediately because my car had become illegal without the emissions test. They told me I would have to pay $50 for overnight shipping to get the flash kit. I told them I would not pay $50 for their mistake. I was told by Mike that he would get Powerchip to get it down to $25 or less. I agreed to $25. Guess what I was charged? $50. I called Mike and asked him what was going on. Mike said that he never said $25 and I was putting words in his mouth. This is what you call customer service? I was even ok with splitting the shipping but they wanted to charge me for their mistake? So I finally have the updated software with the O2 sensors turned on. I get CEL's every 80-100 miles now. I am currently getting a fix for the CEL's but that is a different subject all together.
      08-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Sorry to hear about this, powerchip really is destroying their reputation on the boards. Hope it all works out in the end. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
bren335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

So according to what you are saying every powerchip car with a stage II tune will not pass emissions in states where readiness is required, and some may have the check engine light disabled completely? If you are getting it every 80-100 that means it's been re-enabled.

What is your fix to this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!! I've never ever seen so many Mickey mouse tuners ....
Do these people realize they toying with 80k cars ?????

And to the OP do yourself a favor and get your money back and get yourself a proper tune ( ESS ) .
Say what you want but they are by far the best none BUllshitt company in existence ...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Powerchip is terrible

I am having the same problem as Don as we were tuned in the same group. I also had my CEL completely turned off, that required a retune to fix, but now will fail emissions, (readiness test) since Powerchip turns off the rear o2 sensors although they said and sold the tune as they raise the thresholds to still pass readiness test.

The whole things has been one debacle after another. Mike has stated publicy that that he stands behinds his customers and anyone that is not happy would get a full refund.

Well Mike, I am now publicly stating I am not happy with the tune and want a full refund! Your move to make things right.

I felt I was completely lied to when sold the tune as they stated that I would pass readiness test as I speifically asked them about it.
      08-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren335i View Post
So according to what you are saying every powerchip car with a stage II tune will not pass emissions in states where readiness is required, and some may have the check engine light disabled completely? If you are getting it every 80-100 that means it's been re-enabled.

What is your fix to this problem?
Yes, no Powerchip tuned car will pass emissions where readiness is required as their tune turns off the rear O2 sensors. It causes an immediate fail result. Worst thing is they lied about what their tune can do and said it would pass readiness.
      08-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

From what I understand, my CEL and O2 sensors were turned off altogether with the Powerchip tune. My motor could be about to blow up, but I wouldn't have a clue because my CEL is deactivated. Also, I won't pass emissions when I'm due, or at least not the readiness test.

Powerchip needs to fix both issues with their tune for ALL customers by sending their flash kit to every single customer they've ever had.
      08-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShao825 View Post
From what I understand, my CEL and O2 sensors were turned off altogether with the Powerchip tune. My motor could be about to blow up, but I wouldn't have a clue because my CEL is deactivated. Also, I won't pass emissions when I'm due, or at least not the readiness test.

Powerchip needs to fix both issues with their tune for ALL customers by sending their flash kit to every single customer they've ever had.
You are correct. Me and Don at least corrected the complete shut down of the CEL light by a retune, but now have the emissions test problem.

They may send you the flashkit, but it seems that they are charging shipping to correct their own mistakes!!!!
      08-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Thanks for the review op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!! I've never ever seen so many Mickey mouse tuners ....
Do these people realize they toying with 80k cars ?????

And to the OP do yourself a favor and get your money back and get yourself a proper tune ( ESS ) .
Say what you want but they are by far the best none BUllshitt company in existence ...
I just got my ESS TUNE back yestrday, after reading this review I called Roman right away. He said for the ESS they only turn off the CEL for emission only, but they also turn off O2 sensors so the CEL don't come back.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
Thanks for the review op.

I just got my ESS TUNE back yestrday, after reading this review I called Roman right away. He said for the ESS they only turn off the CEL for emission only, but they also turn off O2 sensors so the CEL don't come back.
I bet you though that ESS did not say that the tune would pass readiness test as Powerchip claims.
      08-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I am having the same problem as Don as we were tuned in the same group. I also had my CEL completely turned off, that required a retune to fix, but now will fail emissions, (readiness test) since Powerchip turns off the rear o2 sensors although they said and sold the tune as they raise the thresholds to still pass readiness test.

The whole things has been one debacle after another. Mike has stated publicy that that he stands behinds his customers and anyone that is not happy would get a full refund.

Well Mike, I am now publicly stating I am not happy with the tune and want a full refund! Your move to make things right.

I felt I was completely lied to when sold the tune as they stated that I would pass readiness test as I speifically asked them about it.
As you know I was part of the same group as Ben and Don and I too had my CEL light disabled, the funny thing was, I only wanted the Stage 1 tune so my CEL nor O2 sensors should have been touched. I agree the tune was nice but I am no longer dealing with that company for the reasons mentioned above. Waste of $800

Last edited by dcgolfdr; 08-17-2010 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: incomplete
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
I bet you though that ESS did not say that the tune would pass readiness test as Powerchip claims.
Only our Akrapovic tune designed to be used with HFC will pass OBD readiness check and not throw the CEL. Our standard HFC / catless tune will remove the CEL but will cause the OBD readiness monitor to show not ready. We have had customers with other branded HFC systems run the Akrapovic tune with success but we cannot guarantee the results when this is done. With all of our tunes the CEL functions outside of emissions are left to function as normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Only our Akrapovic tune designed to be used with HFC will pass OBD readiness check and not throw the CEL. Our standard HFC / catless tune will remove the CEL but will cause the OBD readiness monitor to show not ready. We have had customers with other branded HFC systems run the Akrapovic tune with success but we cannot guarantee the results when this is done. With all of our tunes the CEL functions outside of emissions are left to function as normal.
Thanks for the honesty, Roman. Pretty refreshing in the tuning world.
      08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
powerchip
Rep
Drives: MMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNDoN View Post
I have been able to test this for a good couple of months and here is my conclusion.

I first started off with the AA software V1 which I was never really happy with. I was told by someone that the Powerchip software would be the way to go if I wanted to feel a good gain. I was at first reluctant to get another tune because I had already paid for the AA one. In the end the mod bug inside of me told me to go with the Powerchip stage II tune. So after getting the tune I was really happy with the gains that I felt. One day my car felt funny so I brought it in to a my local tech who said I had a transmission issue. He wondered why CEL did not come on. So he came to the conclusion that my CEL was completely turned off. I asked him how was that possible. He said that the person who tuned your car turned the CEL completely off but the car was still storing codes. This was not acceptable to me so I called Powerchip. They issued me a new tune with the CEL activated. Everything went well until I had to have my emissions tested. I though I would pass since the car did not have any codes. I was wrong. The car did not pass the emissions readiness test. I asked how is that possible. The tester said that the O2 sensors are not "ready." He told me to go drive it for a few days and it should be ok. I did that and I still failed. He thought that the O2 sensors were turned off. I told him that is not possible because Powerchip said they raised the O2 sensor thresholds. I called Powerchip and they said they turned off the O2 sensors. I was not happy with that because they sold me something that was not as advertised. I demanded a fix immediately because my car had become illegal without the emissions test. They told me I would have to pay $50 for overnight shipping to get the flash kit. I told them I would not pay $50 for their mistake. I was told by Mike that he would get Powerchip to get it down to $25 or less. I agreed to $25. Guess what I was charged? $50. I called Mike and asked him what was going on. Mike said that he never said $25 and I was putting words in his mouth. This is what you call customer service? I was even ok with splitting the shipping but they wanted to charge me for their mistake? So I finally have the updated software with the O2 sensors turned on. I get CEL's every 80-100 miles now. I am currently getting a fix for the CEL's but that is a different subject all together.
Hi Don,

I'm not sure what you've discussed with Mike as the story has been presented to me differently. I know you had to get reflashed because you had the cut out issue caused by Jeremy's tune and we have shipped out flash kits for free to several customers to ensure we do right by our customers and there are still customers waiting for the flash kit that you haven't sent back yet. At some point you got the 02 delete. We do not advertise anywhere that a cat delete car can pass emissions and I guarantee you no tuning company out there will sell you a tune guaranteeing a cat delete car will pass emissions, you keep saying "they" but I assure you no one in this office ever promised such a thing and I gave you the scoop when we talked on the phone.

I apologize for the confusion, but when we talked on the phone you agreed to pay $50 shipping one way and we would pay return shipping. We sent you a shipping label to send our equipment back so we can get it to the next customer or to Ben if he was available. I have not heard from you since and its been over a week and we still don't have our equipment back.

If you look at it from our perspective, the only conversations you and I have had, I've been trying to help fix your problem. I waived the reflash fee of $190 and gave you our newest flash for free and I've got to say I'm surprised to see you post this thread. In the future call our office when you have a customer service complaint so we can address it, venting your anger online is understandable but we were unaware of any mis-communication 'til this post.

I will give you a call to see if we can make you happy yet, take care.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerchip View Post
Hi Don,

I'm not sure what you've discussed with Mike as the story has been presented to me differently. I know you had to get reflashed because you had the cut out issue caused by Jeremy's tune and we have shipped out flash kits for free to several customers to ensure we do right by our customers and there are still customers waiting for the flash kit that you haven't sent back yet. At some point you got the 02 delete. We do not advertise anywhere that a cat delete car can pass emissions and I guarantee you no tuning company out there will sell you a tune guaranteeing a cat delete car will pass emissions, you keep saying "they" but I assure you no one in this office ever promised such a thing and I gave you the scoop when we talked on the phone.

I apologize for the confusion, but when we talked on the phone you agreed to pay $50 shipping one way and we would pay return shipping. We sent you a shipping label to send our equipment back so we can get it to the next customer or to Ben if he was available. I have not heard from you since and its been over a week and we still don't have our equipment back.

If you look at it from our perspective, the only conversations you and I have had, I've been trying to help fix your problem. I waived the reflash fee of $190 and gave you our newest flash for free and I've got to say I'm surprised to see you post this thread. In the future call our office when you have a customer service complaint so we can address it, venting your anger online is understandable but we were unaware of any mis-communication 'til this post.

Matt
Matt,

Mike from Powerchip specifically told us that the thresholds are raised on the rear O2 sensors and not turned off. Seems like you need to get the information right with Mike. All of us were told that we would pass emissions since if we pass readiness and we have no CELs, there is absolutely no reason why we would not pass. Because of this false advertising on Powerchips part, I am requesting a full refund of the tune. I might as well go back to stock if I am going to have emission testing issues.

Last edited by Ben335; 08-17-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #16
powerchip
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
As you know I was part of the same group as Ben and Don and I too had my CEL light disabled, the funny thing was, I only wanted the Stage 1 tune so my CEL nor O2 sensors should have been touched. I agree the tune was nice but I am no longer dealing with that company for the reasons mentioned above. Waste of $800

These types of issues I've inherited to fix, our old tuner made sure to sabotage a bunch of orders so he would be able to set up in competition it seems. I'm not sure if he's that smart maybe he's just lazy. As we've done for everyone else, we can send you a flash kit in order to fix this issue for you free of charge, it's not your fault someone wasn't doing their job correctly and like we've done for others, we will fix it free of charge. Please pm or call us directly, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Hi Don,

Matt
Matt,

I believe you might want to check on the communication between yourself and some of your employees. I told you I was going to be out of town last Monday and I would have needed the shipping label on Monday. Paul emailed me last Wednesdaywith the shipping label and I told him I would be out of town and he said that it was ok and for me to ship it back at my earliest convenience. I have been given no choice but to post this as I thought that Mike was an employee of yours. I will be giving you a call later today.

Don
      08-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:

waived the $190 fee... nice...

I'm telling you guys, these flashes are a joke. 14-20 hp they claim.... so what? you think that really makes you faster? I guess slightly (very slight) if all you care about is a straight line to the next stoplight. look at all the down sides. I'd only re-flash the ecu if I made major engine modifications, i.e. supercharger, stroker. etc. not just cause I bought a bunch of bolt-ons. just my opinion, I'm sure most of you won't agree.

Last edited by J08M3; 08-17-2010 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
powerchip
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNDoN View Post
Matt,

I believe you might want to check on the communication between yourself and some of your employees. I told you I was going to be out of town last Monday and I would have needed the shipping label on Monday. Paul emailed me last Wednesdaywith the shipping label and I told him I would be out of town and he said that it was ok and for me to ship it back at my earliest convenience. I have been given no choice but to post this as I thought that Mike was an employee of yours. I will be giving you a call later today.

Don
Hey Don,

I thought you were back already but that's fine. Just talked to Ben, like I told him I understand your frustrations I think you guys have been very patient with all you've been through and I know where you are coming from. The same exact thing happened to me when I was a customer and I was determined when I took over to not let that happen to any customers again. Mis-communications aside, give my cell a call when you can and I promise you'll be a happy camper.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Yes, no Powerchip tuned car will pass emissions where readiness is required as their tune turns off the rear O2 sensors. It causes an immediate fail result. Worst thing is they lied about what their tune can do and said it would pass readiness.
Only if you have cat delete will readiness fail ! A regular tune with cats in place is supposed to pass readiness , if it doesn't there is no excuse to that crap get that tune out your car !!! Period
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Pretty shady that Powerchip is still playing the blame game. In my honest opinion it would look better if you just stepped up to the plate rather than deflecting blame.

Last edited by powertrip; 08-17-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #22
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I have a reflash from Powerchip as well. I don't know if it is my know it all nature or what, but, for me the tune was never misrepresented.

Nobody at Powerchip ever said that they were able to change the rear O2 parameters and still pass emissions (for those of us with coding HF cats).

I was never deceived. They were very clear about turning of the rear sensors which would disable readiness.

I never dealt with Mike B so I can't comment if there was miscommunications there. I have only dealt direct with Matt and he has always been straight with me.

Just saying.... This whole thing seems wierd as it is 100% common knowledge that no tuner can pass readiness if the car has coding cats or no cats and the CEL is disabled.

I do notice a performance increase with my tune btw. I had a dealer reflash for a while before getting Powerchip reflash and it was very very noticeable.... Plus we dynoed at almost 20HP increase (I was "tuned" on the dyno). The stock tune doesn't work as well with the higher flow cats and no secondaries. Mixture was off as a result....

Oh, they took care of flashing and shipping when the issue was the reduced power fiasco. Very professional... Although I had to wait a couple weeks.