BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
hl0m4n's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
4,861
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

iTrader: (42)

Question ??? 5 Mile Incline Speed Walking > 3 Mile Run ???

would you say walking on a steep incline at a steady pace for 5 miles is equivalent to running 3 miles on 0 incline?
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
san~man
Tired
san~man's Avatar
44
Rep
2,617
Posts

 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

What speed on the flat surface?
__________________
BMW-less
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
hl0m4n's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
4,861
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

iTrader: (42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
What speed on the flat surface?
ah i didn't mention that as all treadmills are different but:

12-13 Incline @ 4-5 Speed
0 Incline @ 8-9 Speed
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
san~man
Tired
san~man's Avatar
44
Rep
2,617
Posts

 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

IMO the flat surface would burn more calories.
__________________
BMW-less
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
wj4
Major General
United_States
119
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
IMO the flat surface would burn more calories.
Yes. You can't even compare walking to running.

This is why H.I.I.T. (high intensity interval training) is so effective. In a nutshell, it's a simple process of going balls out for ~10 mins...running as fast as you can for say a minute, then jogging for another minute, and repeat. After 10 mins, you should be dying. However this burns a lot of calories and will continue to do so for the rest of the day and into the next day.

An example is this: anyone can train to run a marathon....fat or skinny, doesn't matter. However to run a short distant race, you have to be in a very good shape.

To the OP...can you really stay at 8-9 MPH for the entire 3 miles? If so, that's pretty good. At my gym, I never see anyone go that fast aside from a very few. People always stare at me like I'm crazy when I go balls out.

Another option is this: Since most treadmills don't exceed 12 MPH (and some people can sprint higher than that thus not making H.I.I.T. possible on a treadmill), you can do a similar variation.....

Run at the highest speed for say, 45 seconds - 1 minute. And for the next minute, lower the speed to half of that to recover. Then repeat for about 10 minutes. I guarantee you will be dying after it's all said and done.

You can modify the time intervals accordingly as you progress as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
BayMoWe335
Major
77
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Whatever is harder to do is a better workout.

Running 1 mile is harder than walking 5 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
ben14142001
Captain
8
Rep
671
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

WJ4 summed up my exact thoughts. Interval sprinting gets you in ridiculous shape.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Yes. You can't even compare walking to running.

This is why H.I.I.T. (high intensity interval training) is so effective. In a nutshell, it's a simple process of going balls out for ~10 mins...running as fast as you can for say a minute, then jogging for another minute, and repeat. After 10 mins, you should be dying. However this burns a lot of calories and will continue to do so for the rest of the day and into the next day.

An example is this: anyone can train to run a marathon....fat or skinny, doesn't matter. However to run a short distant race, you have to be in a very good shape.

To the OP...can you really stay at 8-9 MPH for the entire 3 miles? If so, that's pretty good. At my gym, I never see anyone go that fast aside from a very few. People always stare at me like I'm crazy when I go balls out.

Another option is this: Since most treadmills don't exceed 12 MPH (and some people can sprint higher than that thus not making H.I.I.T. possible on a treadmill), you can do a similar variation.....

Run at the highest speed for say, 45 seconds - 1 minute. And for the next minute, lower the speed to half of that to recover. Then repeat for about 10 minutes. I guarantee you will be dying after it's all said and done.

You can modify the time intervals accordingly as you progress as well.
Good advice. Listen to this guy.

I do interval cardio. Run for a minute around 10-11 then jog a minute. Usually do this for 15-20 minutes.
Incline usually 1.5-2.5 depending on how I feel that day lol.
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
wj4
Major General
United_States
119
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
WJ4 summed up my exact thoughts. Interval sprinting gets you in ridiculous shape.
The hard part about interval sprinting is to find a decent place you can run without interruption. I usually go to the local park and use their baseball field or the local high school and use their track.

The stuff I posted was based on my own research within the last 3 years or so. My house is on a hill. It's about a 1.5 mile drive uphill...I would say the incline ranges 20-40 degrees. I used to just walk all the way down and then walk my way up. Even though I sweated a good amount, I did not see a change in myself.

I really want to do H.I.I.T. around my house, but with all of the driveways and cars coming in and out, and people walking...it will be impossible to go balls out.

I should also add that if you do H.I.I.T., you should do it once every other day at MAX because your body will need time to rest.

And if you're looking to lose weight, you need to redo your diet. IMO it's 80% your diet and 20% exercising.

Happy training.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Digital.James
Colonel
Digital.James's Avatar
39
Rep
2,610
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Yes. You can't even compare walking to running.

This is why H.I.I.T. (high intensity interval training) is so effective. In a nutshell, it's a simple process of going balls out for ~10 mins...running as fast as you can for say a minute, then jogging for another minute, and repeat. After 10 mins, you should be dying. However this burns a lot of calories and will continue to do so for the rest of the day and into the next day.

An example is this: anyone can train to run a marathon....fat or skinny, doesn't matter. However to run a short distant race, you have to be in a very good shape.

To the OP...can you really stay at 8-9 MPH for the entire 3 miles? If so, that's pretty good. At my gym, I never see anyone go that fast aside from a very few. People always stare at me like I'm crazy when I go balls out.

Another option is this: Since most treadmills don't exceed 12 MPH (and some people can sprint higher than that thus not making H.I.I.T. possible on a treadmill), you can do a similar variation.....

Run at the highest speed for say, 45 seconds - 1 minute. And for the next minute, lower the speed to half of that to recover. Then repeat for about 10 minutes. I guarantee you will be dying after it's all said and done.

You can modify the time intervals accordingly as you progress as well.
anyone can run a marathon? please, you obviously havnt run many. i cant count the number of "in shape" guys i run into, who can sprint for short distances, but cant complete a 20 mile foot march with 50 lbs on their back, let alone run a marathon. yeah if you count running 15 minute miles, maybe anyone can run a marathon
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
anyone can run a marathon? please, you obviously havnt run many. i cant count the number of "in shape" guys i run into, who can sprint for short distances, but cant complete a 20 mile foot march with 50 lbs on their back, let alone run a marathon. yeah if you count running 15 minute miles, maybe anyone can run a marathon
Why are you so defensive? Do you run marathons?
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Digital.James
Colonel
Digital.James's Avatar
39
Rep
2,610
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Why are you so defensive? Do you run marathons?
I do. And I also train all the way across the board. Just because you do one thing, it's not right to dismiss another.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
bmwmthree
Captain
bmwmthree's Avatar
32
Rep
699
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: so cal

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Yes. You can't even compare walking to running.

This is why H.I.I.T. (high intensity interval training) is so effective. In a nutshell, it's a simple process of going balls out for ~10 mins...running as fast as you can for say a minute, then jogging for another minute, and repeat. After 10 mins, you should be dying. However this burns a lot of calories and will continue to do so for the rest of the day and into the next day.

An example is this: anyone can train to run a marathon....fat or skinny, doesn't matter. However to run a short distant race, you have to be in a very good shape.

To the OP...can you really stay at 8-9 MPH for the entire 3 miles? If so, that's pretty good. At my gym, I never see anyone go that fast aside from a very few. People always stare at me like I'm crazy when I go balls out.

Another option is this: Since most treadmills don't exceed 12 MPH (and some people can sprint higher than that thus not making H.I.I.T. possible on a treadmill), you can do a similar variation.....

Run at the highest speed for say, 45 seconds - 1 minute. And for the next minute, lower the speed to half of that to recover. Then repeat for about 10 minutes. I guarantee you will be dying after it's all said and done.

You can modify the time intervals accordingly as you progress as well.
my neighbor does H.I.I.T, he looks so crazy when he does it. At first I thought he war running away from a dog.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I do. And I also train all the way across the board. Just because you do one thing, it's not right to dismiss another.
Ohh. Yeah I agree man.
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
wj4
Major General
United_States
119
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
anyone can run a marathon? please, you obviously havnt run many. i cant count the number of "in shape" guys i run into, who can sprint for short distances, but cant complete a 20 mile foot march with 50 lbs on their back, let alone run a marathon. yeah if you count running 15 minute miles, maybe anyone can run a marathon
My step dad, who is pretty out of shape...5'11'' at about 260 lbs has completed 12 L.A. marathons. There is no time limit on a marathon, buddy...as long as you cross the line, you get a metal.

Same with a friend's wife. She completed the L.A. Marathon and trained for a month or two prior.

Why are we talking about weights on backs here?

Seems like I hit a nerve with you. I just posted my experience to share with the OP in what I did when I dropped down from 220 lbs to about 140 lbs, to now at about 155 lbs....again as stated before, through my own research.

If you have something valuable to contribute as well, I'm sure that would help the OP too.

Last edited by wj4; 08-15-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: sentence structuring
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
hl0m4n's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
4,861
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

iTrader: (42)

damn, thanks guys for the responses especially to wj4. i just came back from the gym today and the machine we use are "life style" they are really soft on the knees compared to the other treadmill brand we have "nautalis".

its funny, on a good day if i am rested the day before i can do the 3 mile 8-9 speed and on a so so day i can do 2.5 mile at that speed, just depends if i push myself the extra .5 mile.

i normally just warm up walking on a 11 incline at 4.5-5 speed for .5 mile then going back to 0 incline and running and after going back to 11 incline at the speed and walking it out and im done.

as for the HIIT i will give this a try tommorow. my max is speed is 12 which i can only do for give take 1 min to 1 min 30 sec . then go down to 6 speed walk it out and back up and down.

also there is a guy i norm run next to as he is there same times i am and he does 15 mile at 7.7-8 speed on 0 incline which i find is pretty damn good. and this is his warm up, after he lifts some weights and is done.

damn wj4 ur 5 11 and weigh 155lbs, you and me are almost the same. im 5 10 at 165lbs. so hopefully after this HIIT i will be down to 160lbs . the highest weight i have gone to was 190lbs after spending a month in thailand with a friend.
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
wj4
Major General
United_States
119
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
damn, thanks guys for the responses especially to wj4. i just came back from the gym today and the machine we use are "life style" they are really soft on the knees compared to the other treadmill brand we have "nautalis".

its funny, on a good day if i am rested the day before i can do the 3 mile 8-9 speed and on a so so day i can do 2.5 mile at that speed, just depends if i push myself the extra .5 mile.

i normally just warm up walking on a 11 incline at 4.5-5 speed for .5 mile then going back to 0 incline and running and after going back to 11 incline at the speed and walking it out and im done.

as for the HIIT i will give this a try tommorow. my max is speed is 12 which i can only do for give take 1 min to 1 min 30 sec . then go down to 6 speed walk it out and back up and down.

also there is a guy i norm run next to as he is there same times i am and he does 15 mile at 7.7-8 speed on 0 incline which i find is pretty damn good. and this is his warm up, after he lifts some weights and is done.

damn wj4 ur 5 11 and weigh 155lbs, you and me are almost the same. im 5 10 at 165lbs. so hopefully after this HIIT i will be down to 160lbs . the highest weight i have gone to was 190lbs after spending a month in thailand with a friend.
Nah, man. I'm 5'10'' on a good day, haha. 5'11'' is my step dad.

And speaking of Thailand...that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Through out high school and earlier undergrad years, I was kinda chubby at around 190. Then I got up to 200. And then I went to visit my dad in Thailand for about 2 weeks and was reintroduced to all the foods I loved as a kid. I came back and weighed myself at 220 lbs. I said it's time for a change and within the next year...I pretty much got down to 150. Then I got more crazy and got down to 140. Now I've balanced out at 155.

After you start working out for a while, it becomes a habit. There was a time where I would work out 7 days a week, sometimes doing twice a day. I would have to force myself to take a rest.

Even now, I can't really go more than 2 days without working out. I take Wednesday and Sunday off. I'm getting new music on the iPod now, ready to hit the gym at 6AM tomorrow!

If you really want to be insane with it...look up facts about nutrition, it's pretty neat. You can learn info on stuff like bad fats and good fats.

Good luck on your training, man. Have fun.

Also forgot to mention, if you plan to run on a regular basis...invest in a good pair of running shoes! Go visit a local running specific store, and not a Foot Locker or what have you. And replace the shoes on a regular basis...even if they still look new. A good pair of shoes is worth the investment if it can preserve your health and prevent injuries.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
ben14142001
Captain
8
Rep
671
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Yeah, I had the same trouble as well. I usually go to local high school tracks, cause I've yet to find a safe hill that meets my requirements (long enough, easy to get to and not busy). I play a lot of very competitive ultimate frisbee that I have to be in shape for, but the sport itself tends to keep me in great shape because it's in essence interval sprinting for hours on end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
The hard part about interval sprinting is to find a decent place you can run without interruption. I usually go to the local park and use their baseball field or the local high school and use their track.

The stuff I posted was based on my own research within the last 3 years or so. My house is on a hill. It's about a 1.5 mile drive uphill...I would say the incline ranges 20-40 degrees. I used to just walk all the way down and then walk my way up. Even though I sweated a good amount, I did not see a change in myself.

I really want to do H.I.I.T. around my house, but with all of the driveways and cars coming in and out, and people walking...it will be impossible to go balls out.

I should also add that if you do H.I.I.T., you should do it once every other day at MAX because your body will need time to rest.

And if you're looking to lose weight, you need to redo your diet. IMO it's 80% your diet and 20% exercising.

Happy training.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #19
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
hl0m4n's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
4,861
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

iTrader: (42)

damn wj4 i tried the hiit today and must say it whiped me out. this was my routine:

Warm Up: 11 Incline 4-5 Speed
Start Run: 0 Incline 10 Speed 1 min
Walk: 4 Speed 1 min

Did this interval 5 times and i was whiped out. i can only run at the max for 45 sec to a min max. is that enough to take a 1 min break after and go back up or should i run a bit more at a slower speed?

i play raquetball after my run and is the last thing i do before i hit the steam room and sauna. i normally play 6 games of mixed singles and doubles but today i could only play 2 and called it quits. went to the steam & sauna let loose and came home showered and ate dinner.

as for the running, when i run at 7 speed i feel like im taking more steps to cover the same distance as going 8 or 9 where im taking less steps cause i have a longer stride. i don't know how else to explain this...
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
wj4
Major General
United_States
119
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
^Haha. When I run, I get lost in the music. Once I forgot my iPod and simply cannot tolerate the gym music. I had to go home and get it.

Since you're just starting out, I think what you're doing is fine. After a while, you can try to increase the intensity.

Also peep the post by Bobby Light here. The guy has to be in the field because he's extremely knowledgeable in it...while I'm just an amatuer who did my own research and such.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420510
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST