BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

VF Engineering

08-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #23
Alex@Alpine
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Alex@Alpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I don't think it's safe to switch the fuse. That fuse was purposely matched with the wiring harness by the manufacturer. I don't want to risk a fire with an improperly matched fuse.

In the install video, I don't get about making this extra ground connection. I see that the wire got cut in the middle of the tube. One end gets attached to an OEM ground bolt. What happens to the other piece of the wire (it's now cut and connected to nothing)?
Yes, the wire that you cut just stays in the tube cut and stays disconnected, it is a ground, so no problem with it being there disconnected, up to 40amp fuse is fine, no problem at all, no risk of fire. Your car's alternator puts out about 120amps, a 40amp will easily blow if there is a problem, also the relay is a 30amp which would also blow if there is a problem.

I am the manufacturer of the wiring and the board that controls the HID Angel Eye system. The ballast each take about 8-12amps of power each, I put in a 20amp fuse so if the ballast do surge it would save the ballast by cutting power to it, with the ground mod and bumping the AMPs to 30amp, the ballast takes in more power, and releases power faster helping the lights turn on faster and brighter.

Hope this helps...
      08-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #24
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 Nissan GT-R

Well the halos turn on fast enough for me. There is like a 2 second delay from when I unlock my car to when the halos light up. No biggie.

As far as delivering more power to increase the brightness, that's not necessary for me. I already think the halos are incredibly bright. They really stand out in the daytime and at night. I'm happy with how the kit has been made and the original installation procedure.
frankzlin79 is offline   United_States
      08-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #25
Fsarc
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Is 8K the best match for the stock headlights? I really want a seamless color match when the headlights are on. Those sure look bright! Looks great.
Fsarc is offline   United_States
      08-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #26
Alex@Alpine
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Alex@Alpine
Quote:
Well the halos turn on fast enough for me. There is like a 2 second delay from when I unlock my car to when the halos light up. No biggie.

As far as delivering more power to increase the brightness, that's not necessary for me. I already think the halos are incredibly bright. They really stand out in the daytime and at night. I'm happy with how the kit has been made and the original installation procedure.
Thats good to hear, let me know if you need anything at all Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsarc View Post
Is 8K the best match for the stock headlights? I really want a seamless color match when the headlights are on. Those sure look bright! Looks great.
I like my Angel Eyes to stand out, so I would rather have them a little off so they stand out, 8000K seems to be everyones favorite and looks the best in the Angel Eyes IMO.
      08-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #27
Fsarc
Lieutenant

Thanks Alex. Could you PM me a price for the 8K shipped to 07676.
      08-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #28
Fsarc
Lieutenant

Quote:
So, I'm not kidding guys. The Alpine kit halo rings are insanely bright. The picture above speaks for itself. Remember, this is with just ONE halo on. Remember, my passenger-side angel eye is currently out...waiting for a replacement ballast. But it kind of looks like my main headlights are on, but they are off in both pictures.
Do you think are too bright at night? Will they bother other drivers? I was thinking AiB until I saw your thread. They really look awesome! Still thinking 6K version though.
      08-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #29
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 Nissan GT-R

I do think that they are too bright. But I have been driving in the day and driving in the night--stopping at very busy intersections constantly. I have not had one person flash their high beams at me for blinding anybody.
frankzlin79 is offline   United_States
      09-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #30
哇靠M3
Captain

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
thanks for this post. i did my install today and low and behold. Same exact thing. My driver and passenger side both were on after installation. Went on a test drive and came back (5 mins). Turned off the car and locked the door. I realized that the passenger side halo no longer comes on. Disconnected the cables and reconnected them, but the passenger side was still out. Driver side was fine!....

Called up alex, he said he'll send me a new ballest. Hopefully I can get it soon and get the stuff installed...

~Side note, I did not disconnect the battery. But when I started the car for the first time, the system said I disconnected the battery and there was a discharge. It wanted me to reset the time and date. As soon as I did that and turn off the car, and back on, nothing was wrong.

Last edited by 哇靠M3; 09-19-2010 at 06:34 PM.
哇靠M3 is offline   Taiwan
      09-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #31
zibawal
Major

Drives: 2012 X5D

look great Frank How much are 8000K a pair? and what is exact diff between 6000K, 7000K or 8000K. Personally I like bluish or possibly purplish like 335is has?

Do u need to buy any thing else beside lights to install?

Please advise?

Thanks
zibawal is offline   United_States
      09-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #32
哇靠M3
Captain

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
look great Frank How much are 8000K a pair? and what is exact diff between 6000K, 7000K or 8000K. Personally I like bluish or possibly purplish like 335is has?

Do u need to buy any thing else beside lights to install?

Please advise?

Thanks
HID kit from Alex@Alpine...