BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
DevJ
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I have been down this road. I traded my 2010 E90 M3 DCT for a 2011 GT-R.

The GT-R is an amazing performance machine, but I could see it getting old pretty quick if used as a daily driver. The car is really big and low with much less visibility than the M3 so parking and tight maneuvers can be tricky. Also, the GT-R is loud on the inside due to tire and wind noise. I found the Bluetooth useless at highway speeds because the cabin was so loud. The seats are pretty narrow as well and get a bit uncomfortable on long drives for my size 36 waist. Finally, you will get a lot more attention. This can get old fast as every teenager in town drives like an idiot to get a better look at your car.

On the flip side there is probably no other car that has this much performance yet is so confidence inspiring. Once you learn to trust the AWD system you will be taking corners at speeds you never thought possible. Also, the thrust from 0 to about 120 is awesome. If you want the most usable performance for under $100k then the GT-R is hard to beat.

I really enjoyed my GT-R as a weekend toy, but I recently came across a deal on a 2009 Porsche 997.2 C2S and I made the trade. I have wanted a Porsche 911 for years and I am happy I made the switch. I gave up some performance, however I feel like I gained a car that has more of soul. Also, I get to row my own gears again which I have been missing over the last few years while I went through my paddle shifter phase.

My only advise is try to spend some significant seat time in the Nissan before buying. This might be hard considering most dealers' attitudes about test drives. If you go over to NAGTROC and look in the regional forums you can probably fine someone willing to let you play with their car for a bit. One other thing you need to check out is the maintenance cost of the GT-R. If you plan to daily drive it this could be an issue.

Good luck!
Did you trade it in at Boardwalk Porsche?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep

Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera & C320

Three weeks ago, I almost trade-in my C320 to a GTR. After some serious thought,
joining BMW Club or Porsche Club/Rennsport, there is a lot of people to play with, otherwise having a GTR, I feel pity lonely.

After all, I will trade-in for a GT3RS.

Last edited by Fanta; 08-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
i currently own a 08 manual m3... and have drove the GTR several times and its apples and peaches....

although the M3 is much more comfortable to drive in and fun when you want it to be...

on the other hand the GTR is just fun to drive everytime..... so if your a bit old like me i would consider the M3 but in any day i will pick a GTR over the M3.... its just a different experiece...

if you have the opportunity take it or trade it....

BTW IM PICKING MINE UP NEXT WEEK.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
Chako
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

I love the GTR,
but I'd probably take a low-mileage 997.1 Turbo from the states for ~90k over a GTR for similar money.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #27
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
Buddy just bought an 09 GTR. Its a beast.

I love it for the performance but couldnt drive it everyday. Has a harsh ride and the gearbox is pretty loud hearing the clutches keep switching. Its also massive in size. Then again we are all different and what bothers me might not bother you. My buddy drives this everyday and has no issues with it.

08-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #28
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2012 IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Did you trade it in at Boardwalk Porsche?
Yes I did. If someone is looking for a clean GT-R without any ECU mods that never had traction control turned off my "old" one would be a good one to pick up. I did put an HKS resonated mid-pipe and cat-back exhaust on it.

Boardwalk received 19 cars that Porsche had taken back from a dealer that went out of business in New Orleans. I was able to pick up my 2009 with the full new car factory warranty and all of 16 miles on it. Since it had never been titled it was treated as a new car. Here are pics of the GT-R and the new Pcar.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #29
DevJ
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
Yes I did. If someone is looking for a clean GT-R without any ECU mods that never had traction control turned off my "old" one would be a good one to pick up. I did put an HKS resonated mid-pipe and cat-back exhaust on it.

Boardwalk received 19 cars that Porsche had taken back from a dealer that went out of business in New Orleans. I was able to pick up my 2009 with the full new car factory warranty and all of 16 miles on it. Since it had never been titled it was treated as a new car. Here are pics of the GT-R and the new Pcar.

Beatiful cars! I've been looking for a gt-r and I told the Boardwalk guys to look out for one if they get a trade in..they told me they got one in..it was yours! Small world..I'll PM you in a minute
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

thks for all the help guys,
after some thinking i decided to hold out this year. next summer i am quite sure, there will be a new car...probs not the gtr, drove it, i dont know, didnt steal my heart.
      08-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #31
graider
Colonel
Rep

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

used 997.1 gt3 with some warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #32
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3 and a truck

I have a funny visit with today at the same Nissan dealer that I bought my Xterra. I have been thinking about trading my M3 for GT-R for a couple of weeks now and so last week I scheduled to stop by the dealer this morning. I had made my decision not to get the GT-R over the weekend and wanted to tell the salesman, in person, that I was no longer interested and did not want to waste any of his time. He thanked me for being up front and asked if I still wanted to take a look at the car. I said that I would like to sit in the car to get a feel of the interior and this is where the story gets funny. We walk outside to the car and he tells me, "I would feel bad if I had sold you this car when you have such a nice BMW. That car, pointing at the M, is solid, this car, pointing at the GT-R, too expensive and too many problems". The salesman said there is someone who has had to bring the GT-R in every month due to something being wrong. Now it could be the frailty of the car or the unfamiliarity of the techs with the car, I don't know, but he wasn't happy with the GT-R. The GT-R is badass but I am glad I passed.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #33
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I have a funny visit with today at the same Nissan dealer that I bought my Xterra. I have been thinking about trading my M3 for GT-R for a couple of weeks now and so last week I scheduled to stop by the dealer this morning. I had made my decision not to get the GT-R over the weekend and wanted to tell the salesman, in person, that I was no longer interested and did not want to waste any of his time. He thanked me for being up front and asked if I still wanted to take a look at the car. I said that I would like to sit in the car to get a feel of the interior and this is where the story gets funny. We walk outside to the car and he tells me, "I would feel bad if I had sold you this car when you have such a nice BMW. That car, pointing at the M, is solid, this car, pointing at the GT-R, too expensive and too many problems". The salesman said there is someone who has had to bring the GT-R in every month due to something being wrong. Now it could be the frailty of the car or the unfamiliarity of the techs with the car, I don't know, but he wasn't happy with the GT-R. The GT-R is badass but I am glad I passed.
That is interesting. I didn't have any problems with my GT-R the short time I owned it. Also, I didn't notice a lot of reliability complaints over on Nagtroc. The GT-R definitely makes some odd noises and is prone to a rattle or two, but I never felt is was a poorly assembled car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #34
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post

Hate to be the one to tell you, but the salesman was stroking you.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #35
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3 and a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Hate to be the one to tell you, but the salesman was stroking you.
That's all well and good, I thought I would pass on the story whether it be true or not doesn't matter to me, I am not going to buy it even though I could get it for $74000 and change. That may be the reason he didn't want me to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #36
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

thanks, i had an interesting day too.
was only considering new ones, and somebody called me with a white gtr, not my color choice, 2010 used with 32k km and would be willing to buy my M (pretty low offer) all somewhat out of the blue...
just thought id pass the occurrence along.
      08-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #37
TXM32B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Read on the M5 forum that the GT-R has a scheduled maintenance to change the differential fluid at 18,000 miles at a cost of around $3-4K. If you drive the car hard, it will need the brakes done for another $3K. This was published information on a long term road test in a car magazine. I forgot which magazine it came from, but needless to say, I was in total shock!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #38
BMWMFAN27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 IB M3

Garage List
The M3 is just such a better car on a daily basis, but I bet thet GTR is fun around the track. For a weekend car maybe, but for a daily driver M3 all the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #39
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXM32B View Post
Read on the M5 forum that the GT-R has a scheduled maintenance to change the differential fluid at 18,000 miles at a cost of around $3-4K. If you drive the car hard, it will need the brakes done for another $3K. This was published information on a long term road test in a car magazine. I forgot which magazine it came from, but needless to say, I was in total shock!
Complete tans/diff fluid change can be done for $1300.

Pads can be changed for $700 as long as rotor wall thickness is within spec.

I can't blame anyone for repeating this information, we have the magazines with "experts" writing articles with half truth's or sheer speculation to thank for that.

Eg. Motor Trend says that the 2010 GTR has no launch control. Really? Mine must be special then.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #40
graider
Colonel
Rep

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Complete tans/diff fluid change can be done for $1300.

Pads can be changed for $700 as long as rotor wall thickness is within spec.

I can't blame anyone for repeating this information, we have the magazines with "experts" writing articles with half truth's or sheer speculation to thank for that.

Eg. Motor Trend says that the 2010 GTR has no launch control. Really? Mine must be special then.
this sounds like truth.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #41
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 GT-R, 2011 F150 FX4

Cabinetman, I'm interested to know how much your insurance rates changed between the three cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #42
james1
Rep

Drives: e46 m3

hi chaps,

I forget where i read it, chap had a V slow speed shunt, and it set off the Pedestrian rams, i mean the damage apparently was nothing, 10-15mph, because someone had nudged him into the car infront, it was an 11k GBP fix,

apparently the ECU, pedestrian rams etc, are all one use and then replace....the insurance company must have been having fits!

lovely car though, see one or 2 around my area in london,

true weapon!

j.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #43
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
Cabinetman, I'm interested to know how much your insurance rates changed between the three cars.
I can't really give you an accurate insurance price picture because I insured all the cars through my business.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #44
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1 View Post
hi chaps,

I forget where i read it, chap had a V slow speed shunt, and it set off the Pedestrian rams, i mean the damage apparently was nothing, 10-15mph, because someone had nudged him into the car infront, it was an 11k GBP fix,

apparently the ECU, pedestrian rams etc, are all one use and then replace....the insurance company must have been having fits!

lovely car though, see one or 2 around my area in london,

true weapon!

j.
Luckily, USDM GT-Rs don't have the hood rams for pedestrian protection. That is very unfortunate that the sensors are so sensitive.
Appreciate 0