BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

INDustry distribution

01-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
shakenbake11
Rep
Drives: Truck

E92 M3 Pricing this summer

I have been looking locally for a nice 6MT E92 M3 without much luck. Hoping to find a 2013 with less than 50k miles. They come up, but most are DCT. Pricing seems to be between $43 - 46k that I have seen in the Bay Area.
Since the '15 F80 M3's rolled in July 2014, their 36 month leases are coming up this summer. So theoretically we should start seeing much more F80 inventory hit the market. What will that do in your opinions, to the E92 M3? Do you think avg. pricing for above car would be compressed to nearer $40k more consistently?
I graduated in 08 when these first came out and spent my 20's dreaming of owning one. Finally in a place career wise where I can do it with an F80/82 but I want a taste of the E92 v8 before its too late.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Loaner Car

Send a message via Skype™ to Nihilation
Why a 2013? With exception of iDrive, they're all more or less the same. Save yourself $12-15k and get an 09.
      01-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
shakenbake11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation View Post
Why a 2013? With exception of iDrive, they're all more or less the same. Save yourself $12-15k and get an 09.
My thought was that "last model year" would yield best reliability, that's all. I don't care for idrive. Just wanted low miles, 6mt and competition package.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation View Post
My thought was that "last model year" would yield best reliability, that's all. I don't care for idrive. Just wanted low miles, 6mt and competition package.
If that's what you want, try search for 2011 models it has everything you need at a lower price
      01-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Mvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Consider expanding your search outside the area/state. Its worth a couple hundred bucks in airfare to get what you want. Use a local BMW dealer for a PPI and negotiate from there.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, aFe stage two airbox, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
shakenbake11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Consider expanding your search outside the area/state. Its worth a couple hundred bucks in airfare to get what you want. Use a local BMW dealer for a PPI and negotiate from there.
Specific question for PPI. Is AD was to go or use a speciality BMW performance type shop? I'd look for detailed items not just visual PPI. Test oils etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
spiderspider
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, E90 328i, E46 330i

I ended buying mine from a TX dealership and having it shipped out to the bay area. I will echo the comments regarding model year and even the competition package shouldn't be a deal breaker as it's just a slightly lower ride and the cool wheels, both of which I achieved without much cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
Mvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Dealer based PPI is a code scan and visual inspection, costs around 300 bucks. You would have better luck with an indy shop if you wanted oil analysis, but you will likely have to pay for that oil change to get that detail, and your timing has to be good based on the oil change interval. Another way to manage your concerns if you intend to buy a stock car and keep it that way is PPI plus aftermarket warranty. Understand that if the car is modded or you intend to do so, most warranty's wont cover you.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, aFe stage two airbox, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Doesn't sound like you're partial to either. Drive both and see which one talks to you.
      01-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

I'm willing to lead you to one I almost bought which was a 2011 AW on black 6MT 33k miles, ZCP for $39K with BMW extended warranty. It's located in Northridge, Ca.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
shakenbake11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber V8 View Post
I'm willing to lead you to one I almost bought which was a 2011 AW on black 6MT 33k miles, ZCP for $39K with BMW extended warranty. It's located in Northridge, Ca.
Sure feel free to PM. I'll do a search down there too. Any specific reason you didn't end up going for it?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Sure feel free to PM. I'll do a search down there too. Any specific reason you didn't end up going for it?
There's a thread about it. Looks like it's gonna evolve into a heated discussion now tho haha. In short, the test drive of the 6MT M3 vs. my previous DCT M3 didn't excite me like first time around and other cars did.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342747

I'll send you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #13
Inluvwithastr1pper
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Finding a good M3 for the right price is tough in the Bay Area is tough due to demand and inflated pricing. I ended up going to San Diego for mine last year. A little higher than your price range but I dealt with these guys and can vouch for them. Clean low mileage cars are their specialty and they are bmw enthusiasts.

http://www.hancockautobroker.com/index.html

Well worth the drive and their cars are as advertised. After driving the 6 available low mileage '13 6mt zcp M3s in the Bay Area at the time in various conditions, I knew I had my car when I went down to visit them.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
loveskiing
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Patience and diligence will be your best assets in finding exactly what it is that you're seeking. Have a mental list of must haves and negotiables in regards to the car right down to the smallest thing. Be willing to consider any car in the continental US and find a local Indy shop in that area to do a THOROUGH PPI. It took more the better part of one year to find my Garage Queen down in Texas, had it shipped up here. It was everything I wanted and more.
Good luck!
p.s. For me, most dealers were over priced even the ones that others have recommended; I found you can get a MUCH better deal owner direct.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #15
young dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inluvwithastr1pper View Post
Finding a good M3 for the right price is tough in the Bay Area is tough due to demand and inflated pricing. I ended up going to San Diego for mine last year. A little higher than your price range but I dealt with these guys and can vouch for them. Clean low mileage cars are their specialty and they are bmw enthusiasts.

http://www.hancockautobroker.com/index.html

Well worth the drive and their cars are as advertised. After driving the 6 available low mileage '13 6mt zcp M3s in the Bay Area at the time in various conditions, I knew I had my car when I went down to visit them.
That dealership seems like a Cali version of Enthusiast Auto Group, but with slightly better prices. I think a low - mileage '13 can be had for low to mid $40's pretax nowadays, which is a bit cheaper than that dealer's listing prices. Maybe there's a lot of room for negotiation.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
McSwine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
That's exactly what I did a few weeks ago...flew from Little Rock to Atlanta and bought a car from a fellow board member and drove it home. I had it inspected by an indy shop since the local dealer doesn't do PPI's.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #17
Inluvwithastr1pper
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by young dude View Post
That dealership seems like a Cali version of Enthusiast Auto Group, but with slightly better prices. I think a low - mileage '13 can be had for low to mid $40's pretax nowadays, which is a bit cheaper than that dealer's listing prices. Maybe there's a lot of room for negotiation.
Yes they are like EAG for the west coast. Keep in mind out here in CA things aren't cheap as the rest of the country. Throwing it out there for those looking to keep their new M for a long time. No other source out here for close to mint M3s. Of course if you are planning to move on after a few years there are cheaper options. I got my '13 6MT stripper (No options except ZCP) with 12k miles in excellent condition from them which I couldn't be happier with.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #18
kimiraikkonen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I have been looking locally for a nice 6MT E92 M3 without much luck. Hoping to find a 2013 with less than 50k miles. They come up, but most are DCT. Pricing seems to be between $43 - 46k that I have seen in the Bay Area.
Since the '15 F80 M3's rolled in July 2014, their 36 month leases are coming up this summer. So theoretically we should start seeing much more F80 inventory hit the market. What will that do in your opinions, to the E92 M3? Do you think avg. pricing for above car would be compressed to nearer $40k more consistently?
I graduated in 08 when these first came out and spent my 20's dreaming of owning one. Finally in a place career wise where I can do it with an F80/82 but I want a taste of the E92 v8 before its too late.
I wouldn't focus necessarily on low mileage but rather go for a single owner car. Chances are those have been taken care of better. I got my '08 in summer of 2015 (1.5 yr ago) for under $29.5K. Had to ship it out to Calif from the East Coast but it was well worth it.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #19
EricSMG
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I'm looking almost exclusively at CPO '13s as I really don't want to stress about rod bearing or DCT problems. I realize that the DCT is extremely reliable but if it let go....

That said, the CPO cars are spendy. Comments on buying an older model for 10-15k less make sense as I could add a warranty. Funny, I never considered a warranty for any of my 46Ms but this car scares me for some reason. Ironic given the volatile nature of the 46 relative to the seemingly rock solid E9XM.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #20
young dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I'm looking almost exclusively at CPO '13s as I really don't want to stress about rod bearing or DCT problems. I realize that the DCT is extremely reliable but if it let go....

That said, the CPO cars are spendy. Comments on buying an older model for 10-15k less make sense as I could add a warranty. Funny, I never considered a warranty for any of my 46Ms but this car scares me for some reason. Ironic given the volatile nature of the 46 relative to the seemingly rock solid E9XM.
I have a '13, but I don't think I'm immune to rod bearings issues in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #21
VitSports6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, manual

This one is for sale locally, it's gorgeous!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/utah...44186668980581

Let me know if you can't view the link.

2009 BMW M3
47500 Miles

Contact 8017551138

No Accidents

All maintenance is up to date, oil changes done every 3000 miles. Blackstone oil analysis completed. About 300 miles ago new diff fluid, transmission fluid, motor oil, supercharger fluid. Spark plugs need to be changed every 8K miles since it is supercharged. I have a new set of plugs ready to go in. Car is immaculate! Enthusiast owned and meticulously maintained and cared for. It has every option I can think of, including custom coding. IDrive is able to play DVD's etc. Color under the wrap is space gray.

Upgrades:
VF 650 Supercharger (dynoed at 526WHP on 91 octane, in SLC, UT)
SPEC Clutch
Custom exhaust
KW Coilovers
3M Matte Gray wrap
Vorsteiner front bumper
LED Taillights
Custom LED angel eyes and removed orange reflectors
Carbon fiber steering wheel trim

I am sure I am missing some things.. Please contact me if you have any questions. NO JOY RIDES, firm on the price. Cashier's check only or cash, no trades.

**All cell phone pics
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #22
spiderspider
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, E90 328i, E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post

well...worst case and total transmission failure, it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to find a salvaged dct i'd think
Appreciate 0