BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP individual interior

dealer scratched my car while fixing minor damage also by them

I am angry, the dealer scratched my rear bumper . But first, in my previous visit a technician at the dealer stripped large cargo holding screws inside the trunk area and didn't tell but I saw it and they ordered replacement screws for the repair. They also replaced the rear right sensor for the EDC issue i have. So I picked up the car this morning only to now find one scratch on the right corner of the rear bumper and a blemish also on the rear bumper in the center area below the trunk latch (last picture only). I saw the scratches before leaving the dealer and showed them to the SA along with pictures that i took before dropping the car. Today is Saturday, the SA said he will talk to his manager on Monday. The SA said the technician removed the rear bumper when he replaced the rear right acceleration sensor.

I paid a lot of hard earned money for my car not for someone else to tear it up, of all places the dealer. What is your advice on what approach to take with the dealer ? I'm not sure polish alone would take it out. A fingernail gets caught in the scratch when sliding over it, but under the exact sunshine angle the scratch is not black. I don't want diminished value of the car for repainted panel.
Should i ask for a compensation ? My car is 2013 and in pristine condition.

I know the SA is pretty careful. I have not talked to the manager about this yet. They don't seem to have much authority over the technicians.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
fred340
Rep
Drives: 135 lemans blue

Even if they wet sand and compound the scratch you are still going to see it since you know it's there.
I would ask for a rear bumper repaint and blending at the edges of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Scratch is through the paint and needs a repaint ...
Yeah...Some BMW/Dealers really s@ck !
      11-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep

another picture under a different light. I would rather really avoid repainting because of diminished car value if repainted panel. I searched the forum and found repaint cost ~ $600 for bumper, wouldn't it be better to get monetary compensation from the dealer and have it polished as good as possible ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Rainer M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Why would repainting to get rid of the scratch be cause of diminished value?
It is not like there was structural damage.

If you want to be sure, keep your pictures of the scratch and have them repaint the bumper.
This way you can show that the scratch was the reason fort he repaint. That is if the scratch can't be filled up and polished out.
Nonetheless I feel you since I always find scratches on my car after getting it back from the dealership along with undocumented miles that hey drive my car.
Pretty annoying and BMW should be better in keeping the dealerships "honest"
On he other hand I guess not too many report those insistence to BMW NA headquarters.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
Why would repainting to get rid of the scratch be cause of diminished value?
It is not like there was structural damage.

If you want to be sure, keep your pictures of the scratch and have them repaint the bumper.
This way you can show that the scratch was the reason fort he repaint. That is if the scratch can't be filled up and polished out.
Nonetheless I feel you since I always find scratches on my car after getting it back from the dealership along with undocumented miles that hey drive my car.
Pretty annoying and BMW should be better in keeping the dealerships "honest"
On he other hand I guess not too many report those insistence to BMW NA headquarters.
Keeping records to document that it was repainted for a minor scratch is fine for a private buyer but a repaint no matter the cause automatically diminishes value when it shows up on Carfax.
This scratch is not as bad in real as it looks on these pictures. when the sun is vertical to the panel the scratch becomes completely clear, no dark color.
If i request the dealer to make me whole again without repainting isn't this something that can be taken off professionally without repaint ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Scratch is through the paint and needs a repaint ...
Yeah...Some BMW/Dealers really s@ck !
Power-Belgium, I am not sure the scratch is through the paint. It looks worse on these pictures than in real. It changes to clear color if the light comes at a vertical angle.

Last edited by JoeM3SSII; 11-05-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
Power-Belgium, I am not sure the scratch is through the paint. It looks worse on these pictures than in real. It appears clear color if the light comes at a vertical angle.
Ok , I see the situation ...
Advice:
Take your car to a reputable detailer , and ask him what he thinks about your scratch .
Your situation asks actually after body and paint knowledge.
Mean while a question costs nothing...
      11-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

The same thing happened to me with my previous BMW except it looked like they hit the trunk lid with a die grinder. The scratch was all the way down to the metal. I flipped out on the SA in front of a few customers. Just like the OP, the car was at the dealer to fix a taillight that was broken during a routine maintenance visit. The SA agreed to have it fixed immediately. I was skeptical that they could match the paint since the car was metallic blue. When I picked the car up later that day, it was perfect. There was no way to tell it was repaired. I asked if they sprayed the whole trunk and was told that they did not. They use touch up paint. They asked me not to wax the trunk for a least a month. When I sold the car four years later, the fix was still undetectable. Hopefully you have similar results.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #10
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Ok , I see the situation ...
Advice:
Take your car to a reputable detailer , and ask him what he thinks about your scratch .
Your situation asks actually after body and paint knowledge.
Mean while a question costs nothing...
Good idea, will do on my way to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
The same thing happened to me with my previous BMW except it looked like they hit the trunk lid with a die grinder. The scratch was all the way down to the metal. I flipped out on the SA in front of a few customers. Just like the OP, the car was at the dealer to fix a taillight that was broken during a routine maintenance visit. The SA agreed to have it fixed immediately. I was skeptical that they could match the paint since the car was metallic blue. When I picked the car up later that day, it was perfect. There was no way to tell it was repaired. I asked if they sprayed the whole trunk and was told that they did not. They use touch up paint. They asked me not to wax the trunk for a least a month. When I sold the car four years later, the fix was still undetectable. Hopefully you have similar results.
I actually have the oem bmw touch-up sticks set (basecoat and clearcoat) in my silverstone paint but I am not going to apply anything myself. Did your dealer sent your car to a body shop with a supply of the oem touch up paint ? It sounds like they knew just the right guy for the job. I am worried if my dealer does not know such a pro and if they don't if they'll make it worse.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Man I'd be livid!!! This is why I try to refrain from taking my car to the dealer for repair. There's always that chance of more discrepancies.

By the way, how's that new GTS motor? 😆
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
Helmsman
Colonel
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
Good idea, will do on my way to the dealer.

I actually have the oem bmw touch-up sticks set (basecoat and clearcoat) in my silverstone paint but I am not going to apply anything myself. Did your dealer sent your car to a body shop with a supply of the oem touch up paint ? It sounds like they knew just the right guy for the job. I am worried if my dealer does not know such a pro and if they don't if they'll make it worse.
Joe, I got a deep scratch on one of my doors. Didnt want to repaint, took it to my dentmaster. The applied touch up before sanding, not perfect but good enough. (scratch wasnt down to metal but didnt want then to sand down the paint too thin hence touch up first).

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
roastbeef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

what work did they do to take the trunk liner out and strip that torque star bolt? i don't think its required to change the battery, and there isn't much else behind there...
      11-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
the6M3
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

You can get that spot fixed very easily. Ask around.

My cousin had similar scuff repaired (well, about three times as large in damaged area) on the same location for around $250 for his M3. Literally could not tell the difference before and after. Paint was Mineral White.
      11-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Joe, I got a deep scratch on one of my doors. Didnt want to repaint, took it to my dentmaster. They applied touch up before sanding, not perfect but good enough. (scratch wasnt down to metal but didnt want then to sand down the paint too thin hence touch up first).

Good luck
Helmsman, I feel the same, I don't want a repaint. I hope they'll work with the right body shop, i am worried how can i trust them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
what work did they do to take the trunk liner out and strip that torque star bolt? i don't think its required to change the battery, and there isn't much else behind there...
The answer would be trying to explain incompetency. They replaced the rear shock absorbers for a suspension issue, and ordered the wrong rear acceleration sensor part also to be replaced. The technician stripped the rear left torx screw but the sensor is on the rear right side or was the trim removed for the shocks ? The mechanic may have wrongly thought the sensor is on the left side and started removing the trim.
Then as they ordered and replaced the stripped screws and the correct sensor part they scratched the car and i know it was the same technician according to the SA. A week and half back when I found out about the screws and complained the manager said, i quote : "this mechanic works on half a million dollar Porsche in his spare time." As if that makes it any better. Is this some kind of retribution/ revenge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post
You can get that spot fixed very easily. Ask around.

My cousin had similar scuff repaired (well, about three times as large in damaged area) on the same location for around $250 for his M3. Literally could not tell the difference before and after. Paint was Mineral White.
I hope so. But i am going to go directly to the dealer first thing on Monday since the service manager was off when i picked up the car on Saturday.

Last edited by JoeM3SSII; 11-06-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #16
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Joe, I got a deep scratch on one of my doors. Didnt want to repaint, took it to my dentmaster. The applied touch up before sanding, not perfect but good enough. (scratch wasnt down to metal but didnt want then to sand down the paint too thin hence touch up first).

Good luck
So i've been to the dealer but before that i stopped at a detailing pro, a dentmaster pro and finally another bmw dealer company to ask a used cars manager how much the scratch would affect resale value. First the pro detailer and dentmaster/painter inspected the scratch separately and both said it would not come out perfect by wet sanding/buffing but both advised against a panel repaint for that scratch. So then, the responsibility of the dealer is the substantial restoration of the automobile as to appearance and any diminution in value. The owner has not been properly indemnified unless there is no diminution in value of the automobile as it was before the damage and as it is after the repairs.
At the dealer I first made sure the body shop would not record it in any way or form and let them know i don't want the panel repainted.
The other company used cars manager said prospective buyers would certainly weight on a scratch to lower value. Very helpful guy from upstate NY by the way. He agreed that i would have to be compensated for the difference if the car does not look like the unscratched car it was. Then at the 'tortfeasor' dealer i half-battled the service manager to let him know i will expect indemnification. I will update when the car gets back.

Last edited by JoeM3SSII; 11-07-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #17
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep

mmm.. i dropped the car at 11 am and already got an email from the dealer at 1:55 pm. i know they took it to their dealership body shop but that is quick. It seems too fast to put some clear back ? What would be the telling signs that they sanded all the clear and the base paint beyond acceptable ? What should i look for in accepting or rejecting the result ? If it's bad what should be my next step ?

Also worried that without clear protection the area could look different within a year ??
Appreciate 0