BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
Ant Man
Major

Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
The PS2's are a great tire, don't get me wrong, but in the grip department, the Yokos are way more superior.

The thing is with the PS2 when you start showing them some serious grip levels, they tend to loose grip sometimes at random, and it becomes extremely difficult to regain that grip back. With the Yokohama AD08 tires, you can loose grip (in which it's extremely hard to do since their grip levels are even higher than the PS2), and if that happens, you can easily regain it because of the specific compounds in the tire.

Now does everybody see this kind of grip/loss of grip on a daily basis, no probably not unless you live at Laguna Seca. But, is it nice to know that your tires are there basically cradling you through the corners making sure that even you're mistakes on the track wont turn into a mess.

So between the PS2 And the Yokohama AD08's, here are the Pro's and Con's for each tire that I've discovered:

Pros for the Michelin PS2:
- Very comfortable tire, easily the best on the market in terms of that.
- Decent grip levels, and everybody knows the Michelin name, and that tread pattern

Cons for the Michelin PS2:
- Price. Easily one of the most expensive tires out there today
- Grip on track isn't as supportive as other tires when grip is lost
- Treadwear isn't the best, I've seen sets of PS2's go within 8k miles.

Pros for Yokohama AD08
- Grip levels are immense
- Price is less than the PS2
- More comfortable than what you would expect (comparing the other tires in it's class which is already a step ahead of the PS2 in terms of it's grip class).
- Tread Pattern to die for

Cons for Yokohama AD08
- The tires run about 10-15mm wider on certain applications, so be aware that if you're used to a set not rubbing, make sure to downsize or to get ready to roll fenders a bit more.
- Certain fitments are not produced. Obviously this goes with all tire companies, but with that said, they are somewhat limited in their sizing.
Thanks for this. Is this review you own personal experience from the track? You don't mention wet weather driving or steering feel. I'm personally more interested in real road driving and therefore unless I'm driving without due care or attention or at an inappropriate speed. I will almost never exceed the grip envelope of standard M3 road tyre.

Not related to this post but the thread in general. Adding wider tyres will almost certainly decrease the MPG, increase road noise and possibly negatively effect the handling of the car especially if the percentage of front to rear grip is changed too much.
Ant Man is offline   England
      08-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Thanks for this. Is this review you own personal experience from the track? You don't mention wet weather driving or steering feel. I'm personally more interested in real road driving and therefore unless I'm driving without due care or attention or at an inappropriate speed. I will almost never exceed the grip envelope of standard M3 road tyre.

Not related to this post but the thread in general. Adding wider tyres will almost certainly decrease the MPG, increase road noise and possibly negatively effect the handling of the car especially if the percentage of front to rear grip is changed too much.
It's really a combination of feel I've got from the track and road experience. Daily driving the AD08's is great, and to be honest, even with some spirited driving the tread is still there and I've been on them for about 8-9 months. For a tire rated at this specific treadwear, they usually go in that time frame, these have held up and done very well.

The only downside to wet/cold weather driving on the Yokos is that the first minute, they're pretty rock solid, but they warm up quickly so that you wont have an issue, but in temperatures lower than 40, they are a bit sketchy. But PS2's do technically do the same. Either way, they're both very good in the wet.

As per your second comment, yes adding wider tires can lower MPG, but it's such a low percentage, that you wont notice much of a difference. If anything I'm sure it's lower than 2% depending on how wide you go. Seeing that 295's on the rear, and a few guys going 305's in the rear, It's not too drastic of a difference to really overcome your standard MPG, at least from what I've seen.
david @ eas is offline   United_States
      08-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
aajami
Brigadier General

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I'm running 255f/275r PS2s on my retrofitted ZCP, and it feels great:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412085

I'm not sure why the ZCP doesn't come like this from the factory. As for speedo error, the difference in outside diameter is less than 1% compared to the 245f/265r PS2s, so any loss of torque or speedometer error is negligible.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
      08-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #26
11' AW M3
Major

Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11' AW M3 View Post
would 295/30/19 fit in the rear with zcp wheels if I am running a 5mm or 10mm spacer?

I really want to swap out the rear tires for something wider...
anyone?

also, i am guessing it is not recommended to go 295 rears if I keep the front 245s, right?
      08-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #27
signes
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
anyone?

also, i am guessing it is not recommended to go 295 rears if I keep the front 245s, right?
245/295 would be way out of line. I run AD08s in 295/30-19 out back and they work great, although I am not lowered. To keep the stagger as close to factory as possible I have 275/30 up front. I get some rubbing under heavy compression and at full lock, but it isn't enough to worry about. If I ordered them again, I would def drop down a size or two especially in the AD08 since it has such a square shoulder.
signes is offline   United_States
      08-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #28
11' AW M3
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
245/295 would be way out of line. I run AD08s in 295/30-19 out back and they work great, although I am not lowered. To keep the stagger as close to factory as possible I have 275/30 up front. I get some rubbing under heavy compression and at full lock, but it isn't enough to worry about. If I ordered them again, I would def drop down a size or two especially in the AD08 since it has such a square shoulder.
Thank you for the input... I assume the rubbing you mentioned is from the front, not the rear? I am worried 295's might be overkill and rub if I put a small spacer in the rear (as I plan to do). Plus, my car is a zcp so it is slightly lower than stock.
      08-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #29
Dave07997S
Colonel

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Thank you for the input... I assume the rubbing you mentioned is from the front, not the rear? I am worried 295's might be overkill and rub if I put a small spacer in the rear (as I plan to do). Plus, my car is a zcp so it is slightly lower than stock.
255/35/19 and 285/30/19 on ZCP wheels..that is really max and still support the sidewalls properly. The 285/30/19 is a little shorter but very close in size to the 255/35/19, depending on the brand its within .2". Once again this is what the M3GTS has.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
      08-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
BarryC
Major

Drives: '13 LRP M3

My vote is 275/30 front with a 10mm spacer and 295/30 rear. It will work (unless you choose the AD08's as they run way wide) without rubbing and is just a tad shorter than the stock tires.

I've run a 275/295 combo before and thought it worked really well on the car. As a matter of fact, I'm getting a set of Advan RZ-DF with this tire setup and should save approx. 7 lbs per corner. I love the look of the zcp wheels but hate the weight...

BC
2013 Lime Rock M3 6speed, ESS VT1-550, ESS HFCs, KW Clubsports, Fire Orange PFC Z31 BBK, Apex EC7 w/Mich PSS 265/285, ModeCarbon GT4 Lip, UUC SSK, Performance Seats and CF Trim, GT Motoring Alcantara orange stich shift & ebrake boots, iND floor mats
BarryC is offline   United_States
      08-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #31
11' AW M3
Major

What tires have similar performance to the ps2s but have better tread wear? I am pretty sure I am going with ps2s again, but if there is a close performer that will last longer I will consider those...
      08-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #32
Trier Germany
Banned

Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
your 275 fr setup is also way out of line! Let me know when your power steering servo fails because your fr is way to big. and your front looks ridiculous your rim size is to small for that tire size they looked balloned. Plus your not lowered and have rubbing issues? i run AD08 in a 255-35-19 295-30-19 combo with KW CS zero rubbing issues and no balloned tire look i have a 10.5in rear.
Trier Germany is offline   Luxembourg
      08-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #33
IRMthree
Captain

Drives: E92 DCT M3

just wondering for you tire experts, what about a 275/30 rear? besides having that extra meat, is a 275/35 rear better to maintain stock-like settings (ie: speedo reading, rolling circ, balance, rake, etc)? Or guys going with thinner sidewalls cuz of their drop and wider rears, like when they go 285/295?
      08-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #34
JAdamz
M3NTAL

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
Seeing that 295's on the rear, and a few guys going 305's in the rear
Are they running 305's on the ZCP wheels? Is so, do you know if they rub at all?
JAdamz is offline   United_States
      08-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #35
Dave07997S
Colonel

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Are they running 305's on the ZCP wheels? Is so, do you know if they rub at all?
Not on ZCP wheels..aftermarket.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk