BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Best ZCP Tires

I plan on getting wider rear tires for my 2011 ZCP E92 very soon.

Currently running the Michelin PS2 265/35/ZR19

Would you guys say that the move is to go for the 285/35/ZR19 PS2?

I've never had a problem with these tires, sticky enough for me here in dry, hot Los Angeles.

They don't offer this tire in a 295/35/ZR19, so I think 285 is as good as it's going to get for me...

Let's get some opinions/thoughts
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
pride355
Second Lieutenant
 
pride355's Avatar
 
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: İstanbul

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

As I stated in another thread, I think best tire combo for ZCP wheels are 255/35 F - 275/35 R.

Going 285 or even 295 at the rear will increase understeer tendancy since 255/35 is the limit in the front without spacers.
On the other hand, too wide tires may decrease reaction and nimbleness of the M3.
pride355 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks pride, appreciate your response.

Great points made regarding maxing out at 275...
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,913
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I plan on getting wider rear tires for my 2011 ZCP E92 very soon.

Currently running the Michelin PS2 265/35/ZR19

Would you guys say that the move is to go for the 285/35/ZR19 PS2?

I've never had a problem with these tires, sticky enough for me here in dry, hot Los Angeles.

They don't offer this tire in a 295/35/ZR19, so I think 285 is as good as it's going to get for me...

Let's get some opinions/thoughts
We're using the AD08s in a 265/295 setup on CSL wheels, most ZCPs have been swapping over to the Yokohamas straight from the dealership:



Check out this thread for more info on one of our ZCP buildups: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388786
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Curious why people have chosen the Advans over the PS2???

Does Yokohama really make a better tire than Michelin?

Thoughts on the Conti ContiSportContact 3's over the Michelin PS2's?
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
 
drivendriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E83 X3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA

Posts: 269
iTrader: (0)

I think the Conti is generally considered to be very close to the PS2, while the Yoko AD08 and the Bridgestone RE-11 are generally considered to be a step above.

All I can say from experience is that the RE-11 handles heat (on track) much better than the PS2. I haven't tried the others.
__________________
drivendriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
FruitCake
Banned
 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Curious why people have chosen the Advans over the PS2???

Does Yokohama really make a better tire than Michelin?

Thoughts on the Conti ContiSportContact 3's over the Michelin PS2's?
You're comparing 2 different types of tires. Yokohama does not necessarily make a better tire than Michelin, and vice versa. They're both really good tire companies along with Bridgestone. In my opinion, Yokohama/Bridgestone/Michelin are the 3 best tire company out there, but if you are going to compare, please compare tires with similar compound/purpose.
FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,407
iTrader: (1)

My vote is for a 255/35/19 front and a 285/30/19 rear...

I believe this is what the M3GTS runs on the ZCP wheels

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
pride355
Second Lieutenant
 
pride355's Avatar
 
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: İstanbul

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
My vote is for a 255/35/19 front and a 285/30/19 rear...

I believe this is what the M3GTS runs on the ZCP wheels

Dave
Dave,

M3 GTS has different suspansion setup, probably. It has 285 tires due to increased torque and power. 255-285 setup would increase understeer tendancy on regular M3s. 255 - 285 setup, probably, would not work well on M3.
I wouldn't do that.
pride355 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #10
pride355
Second Lieutenant
 
pride355's Avatar
 
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: İstanbul

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Thanks pride, appreciate your response.

Great points made regarding maxing out at 275...
pride355 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Guys, will 255/35 and 275/35 fit on the stock 19' rims without rubbing and without any other issues?

Would you recommend this setup to maximise grip?
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
WCH
Major
 
WCH's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 SSII; '14 F10 M5 SG
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2014 Cayenne GTS  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Guys, will 255/35 and 275/35 fit on the stock 19' rims without rubbing and without any other issues?

Would you recommend this setup to maximise grip?
This will work fine - no rubbing. Will give you a little rim protection as well over stock.
__________________
WCH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,155
iTrader: (0)

+1

If 1/2 Inch is added to the rim, so then add 10 mm to the tire. Should have come so stock.

Styling 220 M:
8,5x19: 245/35/19
9,5x19: 265/35/19

Styling 359 M:
9x19: 255/35/19
10x19: 275/35/19
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
pride355
Second Lieutenant
 
pride355's Avatar
 
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: İstanbul

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Guys, will 255/35 and 275/35 fit on the stock 19' rims without rubbing and without any other issues?

Would you recommend this setup to maximise grip?
No rubbing issue with this setup.
I'll go for this size tires once I eat up the factory set.
pride355 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
pride355
Second Lieutenant
 
pride355's Avatar
 
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: İstanbul

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

My only concern is speedo reading error.
Will it read more or less when the diameter of the rear tire increase a little?
pride355 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #16
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
This will work fine - no rubbing. Will give you a little rim protection as well over stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
+1

If 1/2 Inch is added to the rim, so then add 10 mm to the tire. Should have come so stock.

Styling 220 M:
8,5x19: 245/35/19
9,5x19: 265/35/19

Styling 359 M:
9x19: 255/35/19
10x19: 275/35/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pride355 View Post
No rubbing issue with this setup.
I'll go for this size tires once I eat up the factory set.
Thanks.

I hope the stock 19' are wide enough to accomodate properly the additional 10mm without any tyre distortion and eventuial loss in grip / tyre performance.
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pride355 View Post
My only concern is speedo reading error.
Will it read more or less when the diameter of the rear tire increase a little?
The overall diameter will be slightly larger which means that you will be going faster for a given indicated speed (which counter-acts the built-in speedo error!) but at a slight loss of torque to the wheels
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
david @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anaheim

Posts: 4,056
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Curious why people have chosen the Advans over the PS2???

Does Yokohama really make a better tire than Michelin?

Thoughts on the Conti ContiSportContact 3's over the Michelin PS2's?
The PS2's are a great tire, don't get me wrong, but in the grip department, the Yokos are way more superior.

The thing is with the PS2 when you start showing them some serious grip levels, they tend to loose grip sometimes at random, and it becomes extremely difficult to regain that grip back. With the Yokohama AD08 tires, you can loose grip (in which it's extremely hard to do since their grip levels are even higher than the PS2), and if that happens, you can easily regain it because of the specific compounds in the tire.

Now does everybody see this kind of grip/loss of grip on a daily basis, no probably not unless you live at Laguna Seca. But, is it nice to know that your tires are there basically cradling you through the corners making sure that even you're mistakes on the track wont turn into a mess.

So between the PS2 And the Yokohama AD08's, here are the Pro's and Con's for each tire that I've discovered:

Pros for the Michelin PS2:
- Very comfortable tire, easily the best on the market in terms of that.
- Decent grip levels, and everybody knows the Michelin name, and that tread pattern

Cons for the Michelin PS2:
- Price. Easily one of the most expensive tires out there today
- Grip on track isn't as supportive as other tires when grip is lost
- Treadwear isn't the best, I've seen sets of PS2's go within 8k miles.

Pros for Yokohama AD08
- Grip levels are immense
- Price is less than the PS2
- More comfortable than what you would expect (comparing the other tires in it's class which is already a step ahead of the PS2 in terms of it's grip class).
- Tread Pattern to die for

Cons for Yokohama AD08
- The tires run about 10-15mm wider on certain applications, so be aware that if you're used to a set not rubbing, make sure to downsize or to get ready to roll fenders a bit more.
- Certain fitments are not produced. Obviously this goes with all tire companies, but with that said, they are somewhat limited in their sizing.
david @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,407
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pride355 View Post
Dave,

M3 GTS has different suspansion setup, probably. It has 285 tires due to increased torque and power. 255-285 setup would increase understeer tendancy on regular M3s. 255 - 285 setup, probably, would not work well on M3.
I wouldn't do that.
The M3GTS of course has a different suspension setup, but that doesn't mean that tire setup won't work on a ZCP car.

The E92 M3 needs all the rear tire it can get...this car is looking for rear end traction. If the car had a 10.5" it would get 295's for me. I ran a 255/285 setup on my 04 E46 M3...loved it.

Heres the car on RG4's (19x9 and 19x10)



Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Ryan@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 4,263
iTrader: (16)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
personally, i think that the PS2 and the Conti 3 are great street tires and great for daily driving (comfort/noise/dry and wet traction). The Neova AD08 and RE11 are great for those that see track time occasionally on the same wheel & tire set up.

One of the main reasons (at least for us) in not offering the Neova AD08 and the RE-11 on a consistent basis over other tires to our M3 customers has been sizing.

With the RE-11, the best combination in 19" is the stock tire (non-ZCP wheel) sizing and on the AD08, there really isn't a good size unless it is the ZCP wheel, in which case you can run the 265/295 combination.

For, the OP, if you are on ZCP wheels and will only widen the rear, my personal feeling is that the better options would be 295/30-19 sizing rather the 275/35 and the 285/35, which does increase the size quite a bit, without going much wider like you wanted.
Ryan@IND is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #21
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,331
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Personally, I would do 265 on the front, and 285 on the rear. These sizes are tried and true for the wheel widths.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Öhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
11' AW M3
Major
 
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: california

Posts: 1,237
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WSTO View Post
personally, i think that the PS2 and the Conti 3 are great street tires and great for daily driving (comfort/noise/dry and wet traction). The Neova AD08 and RE11 are great for those that see track time occasionally on the same wheel & tire set up.

One of the main reasons (at least for us) in not offering the Neova AD08 and the RE-11 on a consistent basis over other tires to our M3 customers has been sizing.

With the RE-11, the best combination in 19" is the stock tire (non-ZCP wheel) sizing and on the AD08, there really isn't a good size unless it is the ZCP wheel, in which case you can run the 265/295 combination.

For, the OP, if you are on ZCP wheels and will only widen the rear, my personal feeling is that the better options would be 295/30-19 sizing rather the 275/35 and the 285/35, which does increase the size quite a bit, without going much wider like you wanted.
would 295/30/19 fit in the rear with zcp wheels if I am running a 5mm or 10mm spacer?

I really want to swap out the rear tires for something wider...
__________________
2011 AW/FR Extended E92 M3... fully loaded
11' AW M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST