BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
purespeed
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 67 cobra

Democrats are pushing for the draft.

111th CONGRESS
2d Session

H. R. 5741

To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, and for other purposes.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-H5741/text
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

I hope this bill gets shot down. We are not in a situation needing a draft. Only reason why our military is stretched so thin because Bush opened up two war fronts with his pet war in Iraq and we think we must patrol everyone( Japan comes to mind. It has been over 60 years now. It's time to let Japan have their own full military again).

Maybe a draft will keep Americans thirst for war at bay so they or their kids won't be drafted, but I am still 100% against this bill. Until we are in a major war like WWII, we do not need a draft. I hope other Democrats and Republicans kill Rangel's bill.

Last edited by quagmire; 07-28-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Mixed feelings. I chose to forgoe military service because I did not have faith that our politicians were interested in defending America instead of defending the interests within America.

Afghanistan is case in point. The decision to commit mass amounts of troops in Afghanistan borders on criminal.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Mixed feelings. I chose to forgoe military service because I did not have faith that our politicians were interested in defending America instead of defending the interests within America.

Afghanistan is case in point. The decision to commit mass amounts of troops in Afghanistan borders on criminal.
Afghanistan is the only justifiable war considering the Taliban was harboring Bin Laden who attacked us on 9/11. But, thanks to Bush and wanting to go into Iraq, Afghanistan is as fucked up as it was before we went in there to get Bin Laden( which we failed thanks to Rumsfeld). And I am always against cut and run. I want our troops home as much as anyone, but to leave with both countries in the mess they are in( which was our fault), also borders on criminal.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Afghanistan is the only justifiable war considering the Taliban was harboring Bin Laden who attacked us on 9/11. But, thanks to Bush and wanting to go into Iraq, Afghanistan is as fucked up as it was before we went in there to get Bin Laden( which we failed thanks to Rumsfeld). And I am always against cut and run. I want our troops home as much as anyone, but to leave with both countries in the mess they are in( which was our fault), also borders on criminal.
Please read up on Afghan history and then come back to me justifying why we must put tens of thousands of troops on the ground.

Hint: Don't confuse the 'why' with the 'how'.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Sweet, I'm golden. Have fun if you never served If this happens, more jobs will open up for me! haha
      07-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Please read up on Afghan history and then come back to me justifying why we must put tens of thousands of troops on the ground.

Hint: Don't confuse the 'why' with the 'how'.
I know the Soviets tried to do the same and lost, but I am never a fan of cut and run. We should do our best to get that country stable and then leave. If it still falls to shit after we leave, so be it. We should just clean up the mess we created. That is all I am saying. After we do that, let them do whatever they want. It isn't our business.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I know the Soviets tried to do the same and lost, but I am never a fan of cut and run. We should do our best to get that country stable and then leave. If it still falls to shit after we leave, so be it. We should just clean up the mess we created. That is all I am saying. After we do that, let them do whatever they want. It isn't our business.
It's more than the Russian. The British were also defeated as well as other ancient armies.

The idea of stability is wishful thinking. There's nothing to clean up when it hasn't really changed all that much from 1996. AFghanistan due to it's history, location, and borders will forever be a what it is. We knew that in the 1980's when we were supplying arms to the Mujahideen.

The best anology I can think of is the American Indians during our western expansion and you surly know how that turned out.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Back on point--Puhleeeese! No draft again. It took us many years to unscrew the Army and build a volunteer force that can do what America expects of it. The military enjoys the highest confidence rating from Americans, if you want that to change, revert to a draftee populated Army.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

On a more serious note, this is a dumb idea. It will be shot down quickly. There is absolutely no need for a draft. Example: the Marine Corps is offering early separation to a number of Marines because there are TOO MANY. When I was getting out of the Marine Corps last year, my job was at 115% of its capacity. The draft will only be utilized again when we fight an all out war against a large regular army.

The only thing a draft would do now is bring in all the whiny bitches who never wanted to serve their country and will do nothing but cry, bitch and moan about being "forced" to do so.
      07-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Don't forget, this bill isn't just about the military! It also indicates that "civilian" jobs deemed necessary for national defense would be included. So you may not be drafted to serve in an infantry combat unit, but may be drafted to work on a road project, responding to a natural disaster or whatever the president deems necessary for national defense.
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
On a more serious note, this is a dumb idea. It will be shot down quickly. There is absolutely no need for a draft. Example: the Marine Corps is offering early separation to a number of Marines because there are TOO MANY. When I was getting out of the Marine Corps last year, my job was at 115% of its capacity. The draft will only be utilized again when we fight an all out war against a large regular army.

The only thing a draft would do now is bring in all the whiny bitches who never wanted to serve their country and will do nothing but cry, bitch and moan about being "forced" to do so.
Are they letting go guys with 10 yrs or more service? I have an old friend who's being promoted to Lt Col and I'm thinking there's going to be a large reduction in force over the next 3 yrs where he'll get discharged just prior to reaching 20 (1995-99 all over again).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are they letting go guys with 10 yrs or more service? I have an old friend who's being promoted to Lt Col and I'm thinking there's going to be a large reduction in force over the next 3 yrs where he'll get discharged just prior to reaching 20 (1995-99 all over again).
AFAIK It's not an involuntary thing - if you meet the qualifications to end your contract early, then you can make the choice to get out if you would like. I think they went ahead with this option because they wanted to avoid the reduction in force that occurred in the 90s. I'm pretty sure the total strength of the Corps is between 204-208k, and I remember a couple years ago they wanted the total size right around 202k.
      07-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

I think everyone should serve the country in some capacity, the military, building trails in the forest, whatever. However, I in this day-and-age I agree with the idea that a draft would just fill the military with whiney, snot-nosed sissies.

On the other hand it might give people a sense of respect and duty to their country. At least then when they bitch and moan they can say they earned it. 99% of drafties wouldn't see combat or be in a line unit anyway
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
TMNT
Captain
Rep

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Now the republicans won't have to consistently say and brag about supporting the troops. Now they can join them! They should all be excited!!!

From Congressman Rangel...

"What troubles me most about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is the total indifference to the suffering and loss of life among our brave young soldiers on the battlefield,” Congressman Rangel said. “The reason is that so few families have a stake in the war which is being fought by other people’s children.

“The test for Congress, particularly for those members who support the war, is to require all who enjoy the benefits of our democracy to contribute to the defense of the country. All of America’s children should share the risk of being placed in harm’s way.

“In other words, if you support the war, you should support a compulsory military draft."

This bill is nothing more than a method to open up the eyes of those who have closed them in regards to war. He doesn't even intended for it to actually come to fruition.

Let's remember he has continually brought this bill back up over the years....in 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2007.

Last edited by TMNT; 07-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #16
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

For some reason I don't think he'll be worrying about the draft much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Now the republicans won't have to consistently say and brag about supporting the troops. Now they can join them! They should all be excited!!!

From Congressman Rangel...

"What troubles me most about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is the total indifference to the suffering and loss of life among our brave young soldiers on the battlefield,” Congressman Rangel said. “The reason is that so few families have a stake in the war which is being fought by other people’s children.

“The test for Congress, particularly for those members who support the war, is to require all who enjoy the benefits of our democracy to contribute to the defense of the country. All of America’s children should share the risk of being placed in harm’s way.

“In other words, if you support the war, you should support a compulsory military draft."

This bill is nothing more than a method to open up the eyes of those who have closed them in regards to war. He doesn't even intended for it to actually come to fruition.

Let's remember he has continually brought this bill back up over the years....in 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2007.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #17
mcmcallister
Private
Rep

Drives: 2006 325xi

i would like to serve, but only with full immunity for what i will do to people of whatever country they drop me in.....been shooting for 15 years and would love to hit something other than paper and PA Game Commision sanctioned animals

not into nation building, but would like a squeeze at nation demo
      08-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcallister View Post
i would like to serve, but only with full immunity for what i will do to people of whatever country they drop me in.....been shooting for 15 years and would love to hit something other than paper and PA Game Commision sanctioned animals

not into nation building, but would like a squeeze at nation demo
You actually want to hurt people? Why?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
ellipsis212
I bought my ski mask in Aspen
Rep

Drives: MB 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
uh huh. those fucking Democrats are just so bloodthirsty man. why do they keep starting up all these wars?

and now they just want more fodder for the cannons!

unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #20
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i aw w/coral red int.

It's funny how some or all of you...talk like you know...were you on the ground over there my friends....

1 tour afghanistan 6 months
1 tour Iraq 6 months
1 tour haiti 2 months

Marines infantry rifleman 0311

you can't get any closer then i was....to know what we need over there and what to do.

semper-fi
N55 6spd, M-sport nav,ipod,BMW kidney grills,amber gones,GP H8 8500k,GP H3 4500k,6k headlight bulbs, de-badged, 20 % tints, icarbon spoiler. AFE air scoops,Berk full sport exhaust, CDV mod, BMS stage 1, Berk down pipe, injen intake,carbon splitters, carbon mirror caps. custom black and flat clear interior trim pieces. interior mods. eibach lowering springs, nitto 555 tires.
Appreciate 0