BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

01-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Smog readiness

Thought i'd post this to help others having the same issue.

If you reset your ECU/Clear codes/Change your battery you also end up resetting all of your readiness sensors. If all of your sensors aren't "ready" you can't pass your smog test (in certain states).

Most of the sensors will become ready just from regular driving but 1-2 or two sensors seem to never become ready even after hundreds of miles of driving.

Eventually I figured out that you have to drive the car for ~5 minutes between 40-60mphs @ under 3k RPM.... which to be honest are parameters i'll never meet on a normal basis...

My suggestion if you have a OBD dongle is to download a free app called ODB Car Doctor, this app has a feature that lets you check OBD readiness. Just leave the app open while you're driving so you can see when all the sensors are ready.

Get on the slow lane of the freeway when there is no traffic and set your cruise control to 55mph and make sure you are in a gear that will put you at under 3k rpm.... after about 5 minutes your last two sensors should be come ready.
      01-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
GRUESOM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Thought i'd post this to help others having the same issue.

If you reset your ECU/Clear codes/Change your battery you also end up resetting all of your readiness sensors. If all of your sensors aren't "ready" you can't pass your smog test (in certain states).

Most of the sensors will become ready just from regular driving but 1-2 or two sensors seem to never become ready even after hundreds of miles of driving.

Eventually I figured out that you have to drive the car for ~5 minutes between 40-60mphs @ under 3k RPM.... which to be honest are parameters i'll never meet on a normal basis...

My suggestion if you have a OBD dongle is to download a free app called ODB Car Doctor, this app has a feature that lets you check OBD readiness. Just leave the app open while you're driving so you can see when all the sensors are ready.

Get on the slow lane of the freeway when there is no traffic and set your cruise control to 55mph and make sure you are in a gear that will put you at under 3k rpm.... after about 5 minutes your last two sensors should be come ready.
There should be a program to generate readiness while your parked as well.

I'm sure dealers don't drive around just to pass inspection.

On vw/audi there'sa program called vcds where you can go through a set of instructions until everything passes but im not sure for bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
E180M3
Rep
Drives: M6

Great post and thanks for sharing! May I ask how and where did you get this information from?

Also with the app can I use the Carly OBdII adapter or do I need something else?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
Fearce
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 VT2-625

For my ESS supercharger I had to install a specific readiness tune to get the car to pass as the stock tune does not allow those readiness codes to be set.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 01:20 AM   #5
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
There should be a program to generate readiness while your parked as well.

I'm sure dealers don't drive around just to pass inspection.

On vw/audi there'sa program called vcds where you can go through a set of instructions until everything passes but im not sure for bmw
I'm sure the dealer has some kind of machine that can force readiness. Although when i took my car in for some warranty work they reset my ecu and i got the car back with 3 sensors that were not ready...

Anyways, i'm mainly speaking of when you reset the ecu on your own to clear a code.
      01-10-2017, 01:25 AM   #6
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBimmer View Post
Great post and thanks for sharing! May I ask how and where did you get this information from?

Also with the app can I use the Carly OBdII adapter or do I need something else?
I took my car to get it smogged and the mechanic said i had a sensor that wasn't ready and to drive it some more. I drove 200 miles took it back and still not ready...drove another 200 miles and took it back and still not ready.

I did some research online and it seems that the O2 sensor usually doesn't become ready with normal driving. Out of all the methods I found, the one i listed above seems to work the best.

I actually ended up resetting my ecu and testing the method 3 separate times and every time it worked perfectly for me.

The Carly dongle should work, the OBD Car Doctor app is free so it doesn't hurt to try. Just DL the app and see if you can connect with the OBD car doctor app. This is for an iPhone, i don't know if that app is available for android. Although i'm sure there are other free apps that have this feature.
      01-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
dj_dub
NoFüknJoke
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
To sum things all up...just Google: BMW Drive Cycle and it'll explain everything and how to get each monitor to be in ready state.

I had to do this recently for SMOG, but could not get the o2 sensor to kick on no matter what I did.

ESS Tune | Dinan CF Intake | RPi X-Pipe | Akrapovic w/CF Tips | MS Pulleys | MFactory CF Driveshaft | WPC Bearings w/ARP Bolts | Ohlins R&T | Dinan CF Strut Braces | 3-piece BBS RKII | Volk TE37SL | Brembos Front & Rear | Perf Elec Steering Wheel V2 | Complete BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip & Canards | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF Sideskirts | Varis Lower Diffuser | OEM CF Spoiler & Mirrors | Shaved Bumper | Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Mvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

question. once readiness is set for all sensors, does it hold those settings until you flash the ecu again, or do you need to do the cycles over again and get smogged right after readiness?

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, aFe stage two airbox, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.75]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
question. once readiness is set for all sensors, does it hold those settings until you flash the ecu again, or do you need to do the cycles over again and get smogged right after readiness?
Will stay ready until a fault appears, until battery is disconnected, or until its flashed.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
Mvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, aFe stage two airbox, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
Mvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Will stay ready until a fault appears, until battery is disconnected, or until its flashed.
Thanks Mike. Do 200 cell high flow cats left in the factory position tend to throw a fault after a while or prevent O2 readiness?

Appreciate 0