BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

10-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
MojorisinM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Windshield replacement - solar?

Calling around, local windshield place is asking if I have solar "film" or something like that? One is $240 the other is $440. Any idea what they are talking about? Thanks.
      10-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Check out LLumar Air Blue 80. I have it and really like it. Just think about leaving one or both of the lower corners exposed for temporary or permanent stickers. Texas for example requires registration and safety inspection stickers on the windshield, and on the other side I have a BMW CCA sticker and used to have a parking permit sticker for my old place.

The shop I used only charged $100 for it though.

EDIT: You're probably asking about the OEM windshield. BMW makes a windshield that has light tint built in. If the strip across the top is green, you have it. If it's any other color, you don't. I don't think it was ever available on US cars, though. But it was listed on the UK configurator when I checked a while ago. Here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...indscreen.html

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

They asked me the same question, I put them in touch with my service advisor to get me the same OEM glass for 167$ extra. geco

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
iansanderson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

They are referring to the "Climate Comfort" windshield option offered by BMW. It was never technically "offered" as an option on a 3 series here in the US, but you can still have one installed if you like. They are optional on models like the 5, 6, 7 and X5, X6.

Basically, the climate comfort windshield has a UV reflecting film that has some benefits to the vehicle such as lowering interior temperatures by reducing the amount of UV entering the cabin. If you've ever seen a nice Mercedes S class with purple windows, this is essentially what the "solar film" will look like if you chose to go with that windshield. See the picture below.

I ordered one for my E46 convertible and I loved it. I plan on ordering one for my E90 too when the time comes for a replacement. There are two cutouts in the film for a radar detector or toll pass since the UV film can attenuate radio signals.

Notice the purple hue of the windshield in this picture of a European-spec E92 with the optional climate comfort windshield:
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
They are referring to the "Climate Comfort" windshield option offered by BMW. It was never technically "offered" as an option on a 3 series here in the US, but you can still have one installed if you like. They are optional on models like the 5, 6, 7 and X5, X6.

Basically, the climate comfort windshield has a UV reflecting film that has some benefits to the vehicle such as lowering interior temperatures by reducing the amount of UV entering the cabin. If you've ever seen a nice Mercedes S class with purple windows, this is essentially what the "solar film" will look like if you chose to go with that windshield. See the picture below.

I ordered one for my E46 convertible and I loved it. I plan on ordering one for my E90 too when the time comes for a replacement. There are two cutouts in the film for a radar detector or toll pass since the UV film can attenuate radio signals.

Notice the purple hue of the windshield in this picture of a European-spec E92 with the optional climate comfort windshield:
So this is a film that is applied and not actually tinted glass? I may have to look into this.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
iansanderson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
So this is a film that is applied and not actually tinted glass? I may have to look into this.
It is technically a film, but it is internal and applied during manufacturing. It's not something that can be added on later AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Lunker325
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red

I had the "climate comfort" windscreen on my old e39 M5, and really could not tell a difference between that and the one that did not have the comfort option. My drive required that I drive into the sun on the way to work, and into it on the way home, so I thought it would really help, but it did not much, if at all. I had to push for that windscreen when it was getting it replaced, would not do it again.
'11 E90 Jerez Black / Fox Red - Dinan Intake - Dinan Exhaust - Dinan DCT Tune - TTP - BPM Stage II Tune - MS Pullies - Passport 9500ci - Eibach Springs - 19x10≤ AG M359 - Extended Fox Red Retrofit - BimmerTech Rear View Camera
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
WalterHaslett
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
Calling around, local windshield place is asking if I have solar power system or something like that? One is $240 the other is $440. Any idea what they are talking about? Thanks.
Really not sure about this..Have you taken the decision? Hope you have some useful information to share..

Last edited by WalterHaslett; 11-05-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
It is technically a film, but it is internal and applied during manufacturing. It's not something that can be added on later AFAIK.
There are films that can be applied after market that do similar things, however.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ts/Automotive/
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:

This is great info. I've always wondered if this was an option. My windshield will be replaced shortly.

How do we get such an item?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
NashvegasR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Anyone have the part numbers for the solar windshield

For E92, E93, E90?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
lve2xlr8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

The OEM windshield sucks, the glass is way too soft and pits ridiculously easy. This may be the single item on BMWs where you're better off going with an aftermarket brand. You'll have to research to see which are good, it's been discussed quite a bit.
      06-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm 2 years late with response but I'm about to replace my windshield due to a crack and replacement will be with Solar film so if you want I can post up some pictures..
      06-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #14
NashvegasR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

So actually I went through this last year. At least to Safelite, SOLAR doesn't mean climate comfort in Safelite's ordering system. I ordered the SOLAR windshield and it was the standard BMW windshield (genuine BMW), not climate comfort. Didn't have the cool purple hue and cutout for the ez pass.

They installed it anyways, I inquired, they said it's another word, solar is the standard windshield.

I'd love the E92 Climate Comfort Windshield PN too !!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #15
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvegasR View Post
So actually I went through this last year. At least to Safelite, SOLAR doesn't mean climate comfort in Safelite's ordering system. I ordered the SOLAR windshield and it was the standard BMW windshield (genuine BMW), not climate comfort. Didn't have the cool purple hue and cutout for the ez pass.

They installed it anyways, I inquired, they said it's another word, solar is the standard windshield.

really? so this pretty much means they just installed a regular windshield. I spoke to them on the phone today and they said that it will have the hue so I figured it must be the solar film. Also I have replaced windshield with safelite about 4 years ago on my e90 - didn't even know they had those solar films and my windshield came just like the one in this picture with purple hue and i could see the inside of it was a cutout for sunpass... later I found out that it also had a led film or something ..
      06-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvegasR View Post

So I just got my windshield installed yesterday and it came with a climate control film on it and has a cutout for surpass on both sides of the mirror as you can see in the pic and also the purple hue, I posted a pic but it was dark and cloudy so it actually looks blue not purple, I guess it all depends on the lighting... I'll post some more pictures later
Attached Images

06-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
Apex Everything
Yep
United_States
Rep

So not to be rude but most have it wrong, what they mean is the solar strips that are on the back windows which help thaw ice, snow, etc. (the gold lines going across your back window)

Some cars have these on the front where your wipers sit, to help direct heat to thaw the wipers out.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #18
Theodore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
So I just got my windshield installed yesterday and it came with a climate control film on it and has a cutout for surpass on both sides of the mirror as you can see in the pic and also the purple hue, I posted a pic but it was dark and cloudy so it actually looks blue not purple, I guess it all depends on the lighting... I'll post some more pictures later
Thanks for posting this picture and if you get a chance to post one in the sunlight that would be great. Just to confirm, the picture above is the "Safelite" brand, BMW E92 "Solar" model aftermarket windshield? And did your receipt have a part number you can share?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
Elwolfe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 LMB, 6MT

Garage List
2013 E93 M3  [0.00]
I got mine replaced last week at a local glass shop. They had a regular one and a "solar coated" one. The solar coated version is the climate comfort one with the cut outs near the rear view mirror for ez pass etc... It does have the purple look to it in the right light. It's not BMW OEM though, at least it doesn't have a roundel in the bottom driver corner.

Billed it to my insurance, no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #20
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
Thanks for posting this picture and if you get a chance to post one in the sunlight that would be great. Just to confirm, the picture above is the "Safelite" brand, BMW E92 "Solar" model aftermarket windshield? And did your receipt have a part number you can share?
here it is, it's really hard to capture the color, angles seem to be different between eye and what camera can pic up, this is as best as I could.. seems like the shade is not purple but rather blue

08-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #21
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Just got off the phone with Safelite. Part numbers:

2837GYY with rain sensor and solar
2838GYY with rain sensor, solar and solar-coated
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #22
Theodore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamirAtl View Post
Just got off the phone with Safelite. Part numbers:

2837GYY with rain sensor and solar
2838GYY with rain sensor, solar and solar-coated
Thanks for posting this! For clarification, what is the difference between the two?
Appreciate 0