BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

GetBMWParts

07-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #23
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

You're not driving her fast enough. Don't do it on the streets though; bring it to the track.

Cheer.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
cap_freez
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2010 X3, 2013 RS5

IMHO, the only way not to get bored with a car is to drive it occasionally, ie on the weekends, in the summers etc... that is why I always try to have 2 cars. One practical one, like a truck, and a sporty one. This is the only way to stay in love with your car and truly enjoy it, once your car is your DD you're screwed.

Plus your baby will look new for years, keep more of it's value, if there is such a thing lol.
      07-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I couldn't agree more. On the street the M3 is tame, you don't even know when you're driving fast b/c of the sound proofing and softer suspension. It's simply quiet and civilized, but that's what it's designed to be on the street.

My old Evo, when you drive fast, you know you're going fast:
1. wind noise
2. engine/exhaust noise
3. turbo's whiplash effect
4. feeling the road through suspension
5. tire roar, etc.

Also, do you have M drive option? I think the car is a completely different character with everything on Sport, Sport Plus, etc...

I guess the cheapest way for a thrill in your current set up is to shut off your music, roll down your windows and listen to the engine/exhaust. I can't hear jack when I have my windows rolled up, it sounds like I'm in a Corolla.

Your alternative is to make your car more track oriented. Try coilovers, free flowing exhaust, track tires, and i guess if you must a supercharger.

Of course, an easy option would be to buy a raw and rough car Vette, Evo, Lotus, STI, etc. But these cars are not as good of an "all-rounder" as the M3. I dont' regret my M3 purchase a bit, and I think it's even more fun than my Evo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
The M3 is not a fun car to drive at 5/10ths. For cars that are fun to drive, day-to-day, look at Evos, Miatas, or Corvettes - none of these are as perfect a gem as the M3 but for a daily driver they have more character. In my humble, unprofessional opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrboy View Post
IMHO, the only way not to get bored with a car is to drive it occasionally, ie on the weekends, in the summers etc... that is why I always try to have 2 cars. One practical one, like a truck, and a sporty one. This is the only way to stay in love with your car and truly enjoy it, once your car is your DD you're screwed.
+1 I also agree, I use to DD my Evo, and I started to hate it, it was a rough DD yet it was also getting boring. The last 5 year before I sold the Evo, it was not a DD. I only had it on weekends and drove it on average 4 times a week and I loved every single moment of it, it was the best choice I made with that last car.

Last edited by mdosu; 07-11-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #26
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Lots of good points here. Thank everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #27
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

The way I keep from getting bored is having another car to drive.

Every time I step into the M3 its like Im driving it the very first time. I obviously can understand this is not a solution for everyone but in all honesty... I get bored of any car all the time and variety is what keeps each one fun.

I actually enjoy using the A4 for going around town and then step into the M3 for some more spirited driving.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #28
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 M3

i don't know who said the 6sp sucks but i friggin love mine and with the RE SSK kit in it, it is awesome, i love driving this car and rowing through the gears and revving it up through the rpm's. if you can drive a 6sp that may help you decide.

we can meet up if you want and you can drive my 6sp if you want. the DCT was cool and all but i knew i would get bored with it like you are now that is why i got a 6sp again after having one in my M5 and my last gen M3

plus when i did the muffler/midpipe combo and gears it just made the car amazing and the sound too, but the new found power was sweet
Appreciate 0