BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,842
iTrader: (1)

In need of advice

I'm not going to lie to myself.

I'm a little bored of my M3. I have almost 16k miles on the car, and the only time the car excites me is when I have an empty twisty road in front of me and I keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I don't want to hate on the automobile, as I think its amazingly well rounded. In fact there's nothing you can buy for the money that is more well rounded than the E9x M3.

Here's my dilemma. As much as I love DCT for its speed and its ability to be converted into a full automatic transmission, I just think its so damn boring. The motor is so smooth it hardly makes any noise during cruising and its still relatively tame at WOT.

So I'm looking for opinions: Would a 6 speed enhance the thrills of this car? Would engine work enhance the thrill of the DCT? (I would never do anything over the top like a SC or anything. Also, I'm 100% against deleting the primary cats)

I cant afford something like a GT3, and I'm afraid a GTR would be equally as boring just much faster. I've only had the car for 2 years and there are no liens on it.

It also looks like I wouldn't be able to sell the car or trade for something else without putting up a decent amount of cash. I guess the financially responsible thing to do is just keep it until it makes more sense to sell. After all, I haven't even had the car 2 years yet.

I realize this is more of a rant than anything else, but nobody else would listen to it haha.
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Anything becomes boring once it is your new normal. I just sold a GT3 and will be picking up an M3 Monday at the PC. I've quit doing track stuff, at least for a while, and the GT3 doesn't add much to the street driving experience. My advice, leave the car stock, or consider only minor mods, and then try something different when it better suits your financial sensibility. I've owned a good many cars, and for fun street use, it's hard to beat a ZO6, and it's also extremely competent on track. Of course, it has the obvious limitations of a two seater, and the well-criticized crappy interior, especially seats. But, it can't be matched for thrill value. Essentially, you have the car bug, and you're screwed for life, so just accept it and start shopping.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
 
Meff's Avatar
 
Drives: Erratically
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cascadia

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

Get her some implants - oh wait, you're talking about being bored with your car

Nevermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post

I realize this is more of a rant than anything else, but nobody else would listen to it haha.
We're here for you brother - it'll be ok
Meff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

6spd man! Always keeps you involved!
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Leozap
Captain
 
Drives: AW E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 952
iTrader: (5)

Supercharge it.
__________________
11 335is, KW1, M3 bits and what not
08 M3 Sedan 6mt, loaded, modded to the bone
Old: 04 M3 SMG
Leozap is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
 
yemenmocha's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

You sound like you could use some serious torque in your life.
yemenmocha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
 
MVF4Rrider's Avatar
 
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV

Posts: 2,060
iTrader: (0)

Buy a motorcycle. Cars are just transportation.
__________________
'08 Carrera S 6MT Guards Red/Black ext leather, Carbon fiber pkg, sport exh, sport chrono +, PASM, Nav, Bose, 19" forged turbos, red tranny tunnel
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 1+1, Corse Red/Silver, RG3 race pipes and factory race ECU
MVF4Rrider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Leonardo629
Major
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walnut, CA

Posts: 1,204
iTrader: (9)

M cars are born from the racetrack...so in order to spice things up a bit...you need to track it.

Also....you think you're bored of the M3? even more so the other way around....if all you do is pace the car around town...
Leonardo629 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,842
iTrader: (1)

^^ I actually think you're right. Car might be bored of me..
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,842
iTrader: (1)

I think you're all right. Thanks for the replies.

I def could use some Torque

I could def use a track

and I def have the car bug and screwed for life
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
photogS
Private
 
Drives: 08 M3, 10 X5 35d
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Royal Oak, MI

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
So I'm looking for opinions: Would a 6 speed enhance the thrills of this car?
I'll skip the rest and address just 6speed vs DCT. I'm sure some will disagree, so cool down, just my opinion

Normally, I'd say 6-speed all the way. I've always loved manuals for the fun factor, always had at least one manual in the garage, and probably always will.
My M3 is also a 6-speed.

I've said it once or twice here, but I'll say it again... and again, and again.
M3 manual/clutch combo is horrible, one of the worst I experienced in sports car.
Clutch is not progressive at all (hard to modulate) and gearbox is sloppy.
Heck, 5 years ago I sold my C230 with 6-speed and it had a better transmission

I learned to regret getting 6-speed. Count your blessings for having DCT (even though it has some problems too, or so I've heard).
Why BMW couldn't make something like you could find in S2k or at least any modern Porsche? Rowing gears in 2sk was super fun
__________________
'08 M3
'10 X5 35d
photogS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Groundpilot
Major
 
Groundpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
I think my car is bored of me as well. Because i drive it like an old lady most of the time(cant afford any more speeding tickets) and i decided not to track this car. Its a good thing i was able to afford another high performance car to use as a daily driver and to take it to the track a few times a year. I am talking about 135i with DCT. Not as good as e90x m3 in stock form, but if you spend a few grand on suspension it can be as fast or faster on the track.
Groundpilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO

Posts: 318
iTrader: (0)

The M3 is not a fun car to drive at 5/10ths. For cars that are fun to drive, day-to-day, look at Evos, Miatas, or Corvettes - none of these are as perfect a gem as the M3 but for a daily driver they have more character. In my humble, unprofessional opinion.
DefBringer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,389
iTrader: (17)

Yeah, you're screwed. Go drive a 'Vette, Cayman S, or any of the others mentioned. You could sell the M3 and buy a used Cayman S or 'Vette and come out about "even" on the depreciation front.

That's what I'm going to do at some point. No more new cars since I have to face the reality they're like changing socks for me. I'll just buy them lightly used, have fun, get bored, and move on to another lightly used car. No more massive depreciation hit for me--novelty not new car smell runs my world.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-11-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Finnegan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO

Posts: 318
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
That's what I'm going to do at some point. No more used cars since I have to face the reality they're like changing socks for me.
You meant "no more new cars", not used cars....right?

I quit buying new cars because it has to be one amazing car for me to not be absolutely sick of it within 18 months.
DefBringer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
SDSmurf
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Lexus IS250
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Africa

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

In a purely childish manner - my first car was a 1.3l 1/2 tonner bakkie. It was the best thing in the world, because it was mine.

I then started to get bored of it (not hard), and put a full stainless freeflow exhaust and cone filter. It made all of 4hp more but the NOISE!!! While not massively loud, the racy blat and roar rejuvenated the driving experience a huge amount. Kept me smiling another 10 000km until I wrote the poor thing off.

Maybe that's all you need, but also maybe not; we're all different.
SDSmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
Scoobe
Lieutenant
 
Scoobe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 563
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [5.00]
A really fun car to drive is the GT500. Theres no computers or gadgetry with the drivetrain (except a traction control that can't keep up). And its 10-20k cheaper than vettes/Caymens/etc. Only comes in a 6MT, and its monsterous torque/HP always keeps you awake. It has a nice ride but still handles well, not as good as a vette or Cayman but has a better ride imo. Next year the car gets an aluminum block which lifts 120lbs off the nose giving it better handling than previous years. Slap a ford racing exhaust on it and it's bark makes you want to sink your foot into the throttle at every opportunity. It's a bargain at 48k.

2011 GT500 smoked the 2010 version around Virginia speedway by 9 seconds.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/18/v...-nine-seconds/
__________________
08 GT500 convertible red package (Black w/ Red stripes) /Ford Racing Exhaust /Cold Air Induction 560hp
10 Porsche Cayenne GTS Black w/ Black Wheels 408hp
11 M3 Silverstone w/ Silver Novillo Leather /Tech /Premium /19" /DCT /Ipod 414hp

Last edited by Scoobe; 07-10-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Scoobe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
Moe's M3
Enlisted Member
 
Moe's M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Bored?

Bored? Get yourself a 6-SPD like I did. My 2010 M3 rocks, always. I wish I could be driving it 24-7-365. Trust me, you'll never say the word "bored" again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
I'm not going to lie to myself.

I'm a little bored of my M3. I have almost 16k miles on the car, and the only time the car excites me is when I have an empty twisty road in front of me and I keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I don't want to hate on the automobile, as I think its amazingly well rounded. In fact there's nothing you can buy for the money that is more well rounded than the E9x M3.

Here's my dilemma. As much as I love DCT for its speed and its ability to be converted into a full automatic transmission, I just think its so damn boring. The motor is so smooth it hardly makes any noise during cruising and its still relatively tame at WOT.

So I'm looking for opinions: Would a 6 speed enhance the thrills of this car? Would engine work enhance the thrill of the DCT? (I would never do anything over the top like a SC or anything. Also, I'm 100% against deleting the primary cats)

I cant afford something like a GT3, and I'm afraid a GTR would be equally as boring just much faster. I've only had the car for 2 years and there are no liens on it.

It also looks like I wouldn't be able to sell the car or trade for something else without putting up a decent amount of cash. I guess the financially responsible thing to do is just keep it until it makes more sense to sell. After all, I haven't even had the car 2 years yet.

I realize this is more of a rant than anything else, but nobody else would listen to it haha.
Moe's M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
 
MVF4Rrider's Avatar
 
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV

Posts: 2,060
iTrader: (0)

You're bored with your M3 because you don't live in Germany. There you would appreciate DCT much more as you drive exponentially harder than in the US. There's nothing like hard braking while simultaneously blipping down through the gears on the best sweeping B roads in the world. DCT also allows mid corner gear changes and short shifting under power that a 6 speed manual can't dream of. It's so much more involved if you have the brain for it. Enjoy what you got!
__________________
'08 Carrera S 6MT Guards Red/Black ext leather, Carbon fiber pkg, sport exh, sport chrono +, PASM, Nav, Bose, 19" forged turbos, red tranny tunnel
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 1+1, Corse Red/Silver, RG3 race pipes and factory race ECU
MVF4Rrider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
shchow
Second Lieutenant
 
shchow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hainesport, New Jersey

Posts: 294
iTrader: (0)

Show me the most beautiful woman in the world, and I'll show you the guy who's tired of f**king her...
Don't know if you're old enough to remember the movie "Dead Poets Society", but there was a scene where Robin Williams made all the students stand on a desk and view the room from a totally different perspective.
I agree with what has been said. Take her out onto a track or mod her. You'll see your car in a different light...
__________________
Current rides: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven; 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV, black raven
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 M5, metallic sapphire black, SMG; 2004 645ci, metallic sapphire black, SMG
shchow is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,389
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
You meant "no more new cars", not used cars....right?

I quit buying new cars because it has to be one amazing car for me to not be absolutely sick of it within 18 months.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but clearly not what I typed!
Finnegan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,389
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
A really fun car to drive is the GT500. Theres no computers or gadgetry with the drivetrain (except a traction control that can't keep up). And its 10-20k cheaper than vettes/Caymens/etc. Only comes in a 6MT, and its monsterous torque/HP always keeps you awake. It has a nice ride but still handles well, not as good as a vette or Cayman but has a better ride imo. Next year the car gets an aluminum block which lifts 120lbs off the nose giving it better handling than previous years. Slap a ford racing exhaust on it and it's bark makes you want to sink your foot into the throttle at every opportunity. It's a bargain at 48k.

2011 GT500 smoked the 2010 version around Virginia speedway by 9 seconds.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/18/v...-nine-seconds/
There's also the 04 Mustang SVT. S/C, and with a few mods easily makes 500 HP and a ton of torque as well. And, it has an IRS as well! Can be had used, 40-50K miles for around 20K or so.

Probably not as good as the new GT500 as the 04 has an iron block and is a bit front heavy, but it's a lot cheaper....Personally, I like the previous style 'Stang look better.
Finnegan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST