BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

INDustry distribution

05-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
hbskisurf
Registered

Drives: 2011 E90 (On Order)

Talking ED - Road Trip Advice from Munich to Amsterdam

First off, thanks to all of you on this board! I got a ton of great info here and just ordered my E90 for ED from David at Eurocarsonline.

I'm still waiting on a firm delivery date but I'm starting to plan my road trip in the meantime. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of time to take off so I was thinking a short trip along the following lines:
  • Day 1 (Thur/Fri) fly from NY on Thur night, arrive Munich 8:00am Fri morning, tour museum, pickup car, hang out in town
  • Day 2 (Sat) wake up early and begin drive to Amsterdam
  • Day 3 (Sun) wake up early and finish drive to Amsterdam
  • Day 4 (Mon) drop off car, fly home around 3pm

Does anybody have any recommended routes? I did a little digging around the Internet and was thinking about driving from Munich up Romantic Road then over to Koblenz and down through the Mosel Valley then up and over to Amsterdam.

I really don't know anything about the area, so I would really appreciate any ideas. Only requirements is starting in Munich and ending in Amsterdam.

Thanks!
      05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
BartM3
Private

Drives: E93 M3 DCT Individual

You should try to go through the Eiffel (hills in West Germany) near the Nurburgring, and maybe even make stop there!

We regularly go to this area from Holland to enjoy the narrow roads, with hairpin curves and nice green scenery.
BartM3 is offline   Netherlands
      05-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
SlamMan
Captain

Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

Do you really want to spend that much of your vacation driving? If I only had 2 full days there's no way I'd spend 8 hours in the car.
SlamMan is offline   United_States
      05-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
atomicdoc
Private

Drives: '11 SG ZCP M3, '05 JT BLK M3

Long way !!!

that's one long freaking drive !!!! but if you must...I highly recommend the nice litle town of Rothenburg just off the A7 between Wurzburg and Ulm. it is on the Romantic road as well.....another is the town of Heidelberg off the A5 and south of Frankfurt with its beautiful Old Town and castle overlooking the Neckar (one of hte prettiest towns in Germany and also close to the Hockenheim Ring. Then travel north from Mannheim and take the western side of the Rhine. Up the Rhine river road to Bacharach for a nice lunch.

Have fun and take lotsa pics !!!!!
atomicdoc is offline   United_States
      05-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
VictorH
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
Do you really want to spend that much of your vacation driving? If I only had 2 full days there's no way I'd spend 8 hours in the car.
Especially since you're going to be completely jet lagged. Is there any reason you want to fly home out of Amsterdam? The trip up to northern Germany will be boring (no mountains, not much scenery) and you won't be able to do any speed runs if you adhere to the break-in guidelines.

Why don't you hang out in Southern Germany for those two days? You could cover a couple of mountain passes (huge fun without worrying about engine break in limitations) and then fly back out of Munich.

I took delivery last July and took my time and drove through Switzerland, France, Italy and Austria. It's great fun. If you have any chance would highly recommend you try to get more time off, otherwise you really lose a nice opportunity to get to know your car in an environment that the engineers designed the vehicle for.
      05-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
hbskisurf
Registered

Thanks for the ideas. I've never been to Amsterdam before so I wanted to end up there just to check it out. I was thinking driving 4 hours per day would be a fun way to get know the car.

However, I'm starting to rethink the 8 hours of driving if you think it won't be a very scenic / exciting drive.

Although the idea of driving on the Nürburgring sounds pretty fun...assuming the BMW NA insurance policy doesn't exclude coverage. I would hate to screw up a day old car
      05-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Crazy_Diamond
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2006 EFI Tuned VF43 WRX

I'm planning to do ED sometime between this summer and next May. The idea of picking up the car within 24 hr of getting to Germany is not appealing. Don't you want at least a day to adjust to being in that time zone first? I wish there were a thread on ED w/ just important points to consider from past members who have done ED - no lengthy discussions to skim through. Just important details to consider, like best time of year to do pickup, which roads to avoid and when for traffic jams, etc.
      05-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
SlamMan
Captain

Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

Check out the ED forum over at bimmerfest for more information and input than you'd ever imagine. The guys over there have been a big help in planning my trip.
SlamMan is offline   United_States
      05-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
MaxL
Captain

Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Munich to Amsterdam can be done in 6 hours, if you take the shortest route and don't stop for food. It is not America - cars actually move there. The roads are great and drivers know what they are doing, so it is not as tiring. I did 2100 miles during my ED (in 10 days, but last 2.5 were in Paris) and was not exhausted. I drove at mostly night and we toured cities during the day, but that's an overkill - would not recommend it, unless you've done that before.

Anyway, driving 3-4 hours a day is nothing to worry about - some people spend that much commuting and doing chores. Also, no need to worry about jet lag - if you take adjusting to different time zones difficultly, stay on your time, and just go to bed a bit earlier than you are used to. You are on EDT now, so if you stay up late by Euro standards, the real difference with your normal schedule would be 2-3 hours - comparable or lower to that of someone going from Cali to NYC - that's nothing.

My point is do it - see as much as possible. Plan the trip so that if you are indeed getting tired, you can skip some scenic routes and take a shortcut to your destination.

Oh, and don't obsess about break-in - BMW engineer at the factory told me that engines are practically redlined on test stands and the entire car does equivalent of over 100MPH (180km/h if I recall correctly) during QA testing. He was talking about 335i, but I do not think M3 would be different. I would not violate recommendations by much, but if you get the car a bit over the recommended limits for a minute nothings going to happen - it has been there already.
MaxL is offline   Canada
      05-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
Tio///M
///M South Lead

Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
To be honest with you, not really much to do in Amsterdam just sight see. You'll be forced to rent a bicycle and you will not want to drive the M in narrow streets too include its infested with little bridges. I think you would be better off with doing things around Garmisch, Munich, and the Chimsee.....check out the Eagles nest and do some sight seeing of Mad King Ludwigs fantasy castles. Plus if you don't plan on drinking it Amsterdam I wouldn't recommend walking around sober in the day or night as it will get scary with people offering you drugs right out of their inside coat pockets and if you're going with a lady. I would rather not as it is better suited to you and a guy friend so you can do a little window shopping in the Red light district as you'll see thats really all they got and also little brownie cafe's if you know what I mean!! Enjoy!! I loved my time in Germany all 8 years of it!!

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Tio///M is offline   United_States
      05-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
That Nice Guy Beck!
Captain

Drives: 2011 alpine white m3 vert

i would spend 24 hours in my car in germany whatta ya talking about
That Nice Guy Beck! is offline   Albania
      06-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
hbskisurf
Registered

Smile Trip was great fun!

Thanks for the advide on the trip. Had a great time picking up the car - Munich to Nurburgring to Amsterdam.

Will post some more pics when I have a chance. In the meantime, here's a video of my lap at Nurburgring...I highly recommend adding this to every ED itinerary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEyCdaWwCs4

Last edited by hbskisurf; 06-29-2010 at 01:39 PM.