BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #45
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
That's crazy talk foooo!

Sig makes a nice weapon, but I can't stand to shoot them. The slide catch is in the wrong spot for my style of grip (my thumbs rides on it, making it inoperable). They also have a very high boreline axis, making recoil more pronounced. Top quality like I said, but poor ergonomics for me.

The progression of handguns is simple:
1911 > Glocks & S&W M&Ps > Sigs > All other.
45 > 40S&W > 9mm.

/thread.

If your thumb is riding on the slide catch either you have baboon thumbs or your're holding it backwards! And hitting the de-cocker wouldnt render the piece inoperable, just Double Action. You might have your thumb on the de-cocker lever but the slide catch is well forward. Its clear to see in my photo. Maybe it was another pistol your talking about, clearly not a Sig you held.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #46
ideliver
Major
 
ideliver's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
wheel gun my friend...wheel gun...no jams, just pull the trigger and it goes bang every time leave the autoloaders to the pros...


S&W 649...http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

that being said...glock 19 or 26
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

ideliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #47
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
If your thumb is riding on the slide catch either you have baboon thumbs or your're holding it backwards! And hitting the de-cocker wouldnt render the piece inoperable, just Double Action. You might have your thumb on the de-cocker lever but the slide catch is well forward. Its clear to see in my photo. Maybe it was another pistol your talking about, clearly not a Sig you held.
Holding it backwards? What planet are you on? Man, you don't even know your own weapon!

I'm guessing I've got WAY more experience shooting handguns than you. I haven't shot the most rounds on the planet through handguns, but the number is north of 40,000 rounds....

The generally accepted "best grip" for a handgun is "both thumbs pointing at the target." And, if you shoot 1911's a lot like I do, you ride your right hand thumb on top of the thumb safety lever. If you look at where that places your thumb on a Sig, it is RIGHT where the slide release lever. The decocker lever is forward of this. This is a VERY common issue with 1911 shooters shooting Sigs.

Like this: The combat grip

Look at this picture of Sig P226 Navy:


Starting at the rear, you have the Slide release, then the decocker lever, then the take down lever. That slide release is so far back that it puts it right under my thumb. As I shoot way more rounds through 1911's and Glocks, I'm not changing my grip to shoot a gun that I don't care for much anyway.
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #48
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
H&K USP? God I love them. I owned a USP Tactical and sold it to my dad. Expensive pistol in it's class but the fit and finish is superb.

Sig makes great 1911s.
They make a fine quality pistol as well, but I'm not a fan of the HK USP's ergonomics either. They have high bore line axis, and the mag release levers aren't ones that I've become accustomed too. Also, the trigger reach is pretty long on most of them, so I find it hard to get accurate rounds on target with the DA trigger pull. And finally, the thumb safety is generally the decocker too, so when I shoot it like a 1911, I wind up riding the safety too hard, causing it to decock, putting it back into DA mode. Then I'm back to poor hits in DA mode. Rinse and repeat.
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #49
chibi
Private
 
Drives: 2003 E46, 2012 E92
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

i love shooting 1911s but i depend on my xd45 tact for the dirty work
chibi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #50
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

You're right, I was tired and misspoke. I wasnt paying attention to what I was typing.
However, having your thumb on the slide release does nothing if the weapon is in battery. It does not stop the pistol from firing. US Navy Vet inducted 1982. I've been shooting a while also. To each his own on our choices.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #51
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
You're right, I was tired and misspoke. I wasnt paying attention to what I was typing.
However, having your thumb on the slide release does nothing if the weapon is in battery. It does not stop the pistol from firing. US Navy Vet inducted 1982. I've been shooting a while also. To each his own on our choices.
"Inoperable" wasn't in reference to the entire pistol, only to the slide stop becoming inoperable. So instead of getting to slide lock, it goes back into battery on an empty chamber, and you get the "loudest sound in the world" in a gunfight, "CLICK!" Ooops.

And we agree, to each their own on choices!

It is great there are choices. But, this also means someone who chooses to carry a weapon for self defense should decide on a form factor and stick with it. No sense in confusing your muscles by shooting many different types of pistols that require you to think about how you need to change your grip to shoot it effectively.

I'm not even following my own advice there, as I shoot 1911's in competitions and such, but carry a G23 and/or a S&M M&P340 revolver (ankle gun.) The grip angle on the Glock is different, so my natural POA on the draw is always a little higher than I expect. Not enough to cause problems at contact to 7 yards, but anything beyond that requires a little extra time to get the sights on target.
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #52
darwin316
Master Chief
 
darwin316's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NOVA

Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Alright... time to show some 1911 gun porn

Sorry for the threadjack, OP. I still stand by my decision that if you want a cheap (money-wise) plastic gun, stick with XD or Glock. Sigs are nice too if you want to spend a little more $$$.


Here it goes:

Les Baer TRS, .45, Ionbond, customed by one of the best 1911 gunsmith, John Harrison.




Wilson Combat CQB Elite, hard chromed 9mm range gun.



Dan Wesson CBOB in .45, the carry gun



The scary thing is, between all the money I spent on all my custom 1911s, I could've bought me an ESS supercharger for my M3
__________________
| 2009 E90 M3 | JZB | Black Leather, Carbon Leather | M-DCT | 19" OEM Wheels | Tech, Premium & Cold Packages | PDC | Alarm | Premium Sound | iPod Adapter |
| 2011 X5 35i Sports Activity| Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo | Convenience, Tech & Cold Packages | HUD | Comfort Access | Premium Sound |

darwin316 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #53
lambtron
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 336
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
Alright... time to show some 1911 gun porn

Sorry for the threadjack, OP. I still stand by my decision that if you want a cheap (money-wise) plastic gun, stick with XD or Glock. Sigs are nice too if you want to spend a little more $$$.


Here it goes:

Les Baer TRS, .45, Ionbond, customed by one of the best 1911 gunsmith, John Harrison.




Wilson Combat CQB Elite, hard chromed 9mm range gun.



Dan Wesson CBOB in .45, the carry gun



The scary thing is, between all the money I spent on all my custom 1911s, I could've bought me an ESS supercharger for my M3
Ummm...Wilson, Dan and Les trump ESS. Besides, the ESS can only help you run away from your attacker faster; the three former will help you put said attacker 6ft under (assuming someone in the world loved said attacker enough to bury 'em)
__________________
lambtron is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #54
darwin316
Master Chief
 
darwin316's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NOVA

Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Ummm...Wilson, Dan and Les trump ESS. Besides, the ESS can only help you run away from your attacker faster; the three former will help you put said attacker 6ft under (assuming someone in the world loved said attacker enough to bury 'em)
hahaha.... so true
__________________
| 2009 E90 M3 | JZB | Black Leather, Carbon Leather | M-DCT | 19" OEM Wheels | Tech, Premium & Cold Packages | PDC | Alarm | Premium Sound | iPod Adapter |
| 2011 X5 35i Sports Activity| Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo | Convenience, Tech & Cold Packages | HUD | Comfort Access | Premium Sound |

darwin316 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #55
DenverJayhawk
Major
 
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 1,218
iTrader: (0)

doesn't anyone like the 9MM beretta 92 any more? Has it fallen off the popularity charts?

Does the FBI still issue Sigs to its agents?
__________________

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
DenverJayhawk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #56
roozie2001
Just some guy
 
roozie2001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,529
iTrader: (4)

i dont wanna be a lame douche specially since im from TX, and own lots of guns myself. But at 19 i dont recommend you carrying a pistol. I just turned 30, and i remember at 19 i was a hot head. Not saying you are but i can tell you right now i am willing to walk away from alot that i didnt back then. At 19 in college, your gonna party hard have a good time. I wouldnt recommend a gun unless your apartment is in a rough part of town. At that point get a 12 Gauge for home protection. Get something cheap and reliable like a mosberg or a remington. I got my first pistol at 23. It was a good age. Just my $0.02 but your a grown ass man bro. You do what you think is right
__________________
2008 BMW 335i/Sedan/Alpine White/Terra/Steptronic/Premium Package/Sports package/Comfort Access/USB/Sirius
roozie2001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #57
roozie2001
Just some guy
 
roozie2001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,529
iTrader: (4)

Oh and by the way i own 357 sig Glock. a 9mm Springfield Armory. a Marlin 40-40 lever action rifle. A .30_06 remington. and 2 remington 12 gauges. I also am about to order a AR15 here in the next month, just deciding between rock river arms or stag arms
__________________
2008 BMW 335i/Sedan/Alpine White/Terra/Steptronic/Premium Package/Sports package/Comfort Access/USB/Sirius
roozie2001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #58
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

/thread

Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #59
lambtron
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 336
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
doesn't anyone like the 9MM beretta 92 any more? Has it fallen off the popularity charts?

Does the FBI still issue Sigs to its agents?
The Beretta 92/M9 is such a piece of shit. In the history of dumb moves by the US Military, switching to the M9 over the M1911 ranks pretty high up there. Can't speak for the FBI, but I'm sure its a Sig or a Glock they get issued.
__________________
lambtron is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #60
Schm
Colonel
 
Schm's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona

Posts: 2,651
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
i dont wanna be a lame douche specially since im from TX, and own lots of guns myself. But at 19 i dont recommend you carrying a pistol. I just turned 30, and i remember at 19 i was a hot head. Not saying you are but i can tell you right now i am willing to walk away from alot that i didnt back then. At 19 in college, your gonna party hard have a good time. I wouldnt recommend a gun unless your apartment is in a rough part of town. At that point get a 12 Gauge for home protection. Get something cheap and reliable like a mosberg or a remington. I got my first pistol at 23. It was a good age. Just my $0.02 but your a grown ass man bro. You do what you think is right
read the thread. I decided that I'm just going to get more involved in hunting, and my grandfather is probably just going to give me a gun. He has 100+, he's ex-president of Ducks Unlimited, so he knows more than enough to teach me everything I need to know.

And keep going OT. I love guns. If I had to choose a pistol, I personally would choose a Sig Sauer or maybe a Walther, just because James Bond uses them.
__________________
2006 E90 330i.
Schm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #61
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
doesn't anyone like the 9MM beretta 92 any more? Has it fallen off the popularity charts?

Does the FBI still issue Sigs to its agents?
Beretta 92 is such a piece of shit.
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #62
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
The Beretta 92/M9 is such a piece of shit. In the history of dumb moves by the US Military, switching to the M9 over the M1911 ranks pretty high up there. Can't speak for the FBI, but I'm sure its a Sig or a Glock they get issued.
FBI is Glock. Secret Service is Sig.

Generally a Full Size Glock model for carry and a sub compact for a backup.

22 and a 27 is the norm.
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #63
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
doesn't anyone like the 9MM beretta 92 any more? Has it fallen off the popularity charts?

Does the FBI still issue Sigs to its agents?
I love the look of the Beretta 92 INOX. IMO they've fallen out of favor because a lot of military folks who are issued M9s hate them.



I can't shoot for shit with a Sig Sauer but I do think they're beautiful.



If I were to buy a handgun right now it would probably be a good old HK USP 45. I have owned about 6 different HKs over the years and I think they're great. IMO their biggest downfall is that they are not as easily serviceable as a Glock. You can detail strip a Glock with just a few simple tools. With the HK, not so much.



My ideal USP 45 would be refitted with the match trigger out of the USP 45 Tactical, which isn't legally for sale in CA because of its threaded barrel.

Last edited by FStop7; 06-26-2010 at 11:32 PM.
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #64
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I love the look of the Beretta 92 INOX. IMO they've fallen out of favor because a lot of military folks who are issued M92s hate them.

They suck. End of story. There is no reason to shoot one or own one.
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #65
lambtron
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 336
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
They suck. End of story. There is no reason to shoot one or own one.
Agreed. I hate that they actually have a safety too; totally unnecessary.
__________________
lambtron is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #66
Koroush
Lieutenant
 
Koroush's Avatar
 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Glock for starters.




Wish this was real, I'd buy.
__________________
Koroush is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST