BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
M3FTW
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 SG M3 coupe 6MT

New tires and labor cost seems high

I'm close to getting new tires for my OEM 19s and was quoted around 2400 by BMW Nashville for the PS2s. With Tire Rack quoting 1490, that is a thousand dollar labor fee. Am I way off or is that far too high?

Also, anyone else get their tires installed elsewhere or is BMW Service the best bet. I'm thinking of buying the tires from Tire Rack and bringing them in for install.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3FTW View Post
I'm close to getting new tires for my OEM 19s and was quoted around 2400 by BMW Nashville for the PS2s. With Tire Rack quoting 1490, that is a thousand dollar labor fee. Am I way off or is that far too high?

Also, anyone else get their tires installed elsewhere or is BMW Service the best bet. I'm thinking of buying the tires from Tire Rack and bringing them in for install.
Tirerack has a list of authorized installers on their website. You can have your tires drop shipped to those installers and they can do the install for you at a much more reasonable price. I typically pay $25 per tire for mounting and balancing at my installer but I've never had to do a car with TPMS before so there might be an additional charge for that.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
M3FTW
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 SG M3 coupe 6MT

Thanks, that answer is perfect. I missed the installation page on Tire Rack. Looks like most places have a 5-10 dollar TPMS install fee.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3FTW View Post
Thanks, that answer is perfect. I missed the installation page on Tire Rack. Looks like most places have a 5-10 dollar TPMS install fee.
I got Tirerack tires (Hankooks) sent to a Goodyear dealer - $120 for mounting and install with TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
asp17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 F10 550i

Send a message via AIM to asp17
DAMN!!!! $2400 FOR PS2 at the STEALER!!! Shame on them!

Yea man use Tire Rack.. Install shouldnt be more then 20-30 a tire MAX. TPMS really shouldnt be extra but some people wanna make an extra buck. But make sure they are carefull with the dismount and mount. Not to sure about BMW TPMS but on my Nissan the installers used to break a sensor everytime.
      06-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp17 View Post
DAMN!!!! $2400 FOR PS2 at the STEALER!!! Shame on them!

Yea man use Tire Rack.. Install shouldnt be more then 20-30 a tire MAX. TPMS really shouldnt be extra but some people wanna make an extra buck. But make sure they are carefull with the dismount and mount. Not to sure about BMW TPMS but on my Nissan the installers used to break a sensor everytime.
I've heard of this too. Something about the way they dismount the tire that breaks the sensor. If you tell them in advance that you have TPMS then a good installer should know how to dismount the tire without damaging the TPMS. As far as damage to the wheel, I'm guessing that most of the recommended installers will have the newer type machine that is made for low profile tires which does not touch damage the rim during the mounting and dismounting process.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Victory Road
Major
Rep

Drives: BMW

That sounds crazy expensive. Go through tire rack and use a local installer!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep

Drives: r53 s65e90

Make sure you choose an installer with a road force balance equipment. The stock wheels seem to be a PITA to balance. Tirerack has details on the system used to mount and balance for each shop. Just google the name and you will get a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
calintexas
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I'm going to guess the difference isn't all labor. Your dealer is likely charging quite a bit more for the tires than Tire Rack. Some dealers want to be in the tire business and are reasonably competitive; others, well....

It's also possible that the growth of tire and wheel insurance has encouraged inflated pricing at the dealer level so that the dealers collect everything they can get from the insurance companies.

I suggest that you look at some of the threads on this forum. There are a number of alternatives to the PS2's at much lower cost that people are very happy with.

For mounting and balancing, ask people on your regional forum who they are going to, or if you know some Porsche club or Corvette guys, they can also be a good resource. The Tire Rack installer list would be a good third source. I'm a member of DFW AC which is a multi-brand Dallas Fort Worth area enthusiast forum. There's all kinds of people on it (different ages, different backgrounds, different wealth levels, different cars). If you need something done, there's always several people that can recommend where to get it done. If there is anything like DFW AC in you area, that would be another great resource.