BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #23
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
radix's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMconcept View Post
+1 best bang for the buck IMO
My opinion differs... IMO, for a petite corona the PLPC is the better choice. The RYJ Romeo #2 goes for about ~$140 for 25. I can get PLPCs for ~$250 for a 50 cab. I find the Romeo #2 to be on par with the Monte #4. The PLPC consistently gets rave reviews.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against RYJ. I love cazadores in particular.

Obviously the above is just my preference, I'm not trying to get in war over opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #24
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
20
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 2

iTrader: (0)

Now this is my kinda thread! Let's just say I smoke waaaay too often, and way too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #25
Bmoney2K4
Captain
42
Rep
792
Posts

 
Drives: 04 Lexus GS 300
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

I have heard goods things about Cohiba cigars. However, I usually smoke American spirit cigarettes.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #26
ACZakka325i
Lieutenant Colonel
ACZakka325i's Avatar
33
Rep
1,756
Posts

 
Drives: X1 3.5 M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CT

iTrader: (2)

Does anyone have a good site to order Davidoff's from?

My local retailer doesn't offer box discounts! I was like WTF!?

I purchased my humidor, cutter, and lighter from there with the expectation that we wold build a relationship. I'm dissappointed. He says that he would loose his license if he were to. Seems fishy as I deal in wine and beer and almost everyone offers case discounts in booze.

TIA.

FWIW, I am looking for Davidoff 2000 Millenia Coronas.
__________________
2013 535i xdrive(Current)
2008 E92 M3 (Gone)
2006 E90 325i (Gone)
2002 E46 325xi (Gone)
1991 E30 325i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #27
Feyd
Major
Feyd's Avatar
59
Rep
1,241
Posts

 
Drives: a DEEZZULL
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
Does anyone have a good site to order Davidoff's from?

My local retailer doesn't offer box discounts! I was like WTF!?

I purchased my humidor, cutter, and lighter from there with the expectation that we wold build a relationship. I'm dissappointed. He says that he would loose his license if he were to. Seems fishy as I deal in wine and beer and almost everyone offers case discounts in booze.

TIA.

FWIW, I am looking for Davidoff 2000 Millenia Coronas.
Change your google search to "Millennium" rather than Millenia and you'll find some hits.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #28
Lagger1
Private First Class
Lagger1's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: valvetronic engaged
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
Now this is my kinda thread! Let's just say I smoke waaaay too often, and way too much.
This thread makes me want to have a cigar right now, at 9:45 in the morning

So I walked into one of the many cigar lounges in my area & I meet the owner. Cool dude, tells me he has bikini clad waitresses on the weekends and then proceeds to show me his Cubans. $20/smoke. They look real. Good deal???
__________________
2006 330i | AW | 6MT | ZSP | LOGIC | ADAPTIVE | PBX

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #29
Feyd
Major
Feyd's Avatar
59
Rep
1,241
Posts

 
Drives: a DEEZZULL
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

Maybe... maybe not. Price is right, but do they smell like cubans?

Perhaps just buy one to test the waters.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #30
Baoer
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: AW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
This thread makes me want to have a cigar right now, at 9:45 in the morning

So I walked into one of the many cigar lounges in my area & I meet the owner. Cool dude, tells me he has bikini clad waitresses on the weekends and then proceeds to show me his Cubans. $20/smoke. They look real. Good deal???
wheres this at in oc?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #31
Baoer
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: AW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, CA

iTrader: (1)

and +1 on the rocky patel line up...those are some great smokes
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #32
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
radix's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
This thread makes me want to have a cigar right now, at 9:45 in the morning

So I walked into one of the many cigar lounges in my area & I meet the owner. Cool dude, tells me he has bikini clad waitresses on the weekends and then proceeds to show me his Cubans. $20/smoke. They look real. Good deal???
Hard to tell if it's a good deal, as it depends on the smoke. $20 for a BBF is too much, $20 for a cohiba lancero is about right. What makes you say they look real btw? Did he still have some intact boxes? Do you have previous experience with habanos? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #33
Lagger1
Private First Class
Lagger1's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: valvetronic engaged
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA

iTrader: (0)

It was by the Balboa Pier. About 2 streets down on the boardwalk. Cant miss it

They were Cohibas. I havent really dealt with cubans much at all, so Im not really positive what to look for. Labels looked legit, ring sizes were not perfect & bottom of the box looked genuine stamped.
__________________
2006 330i | AW | 6MT | ZSP | LOGIC | ADAPTIVE | PBX

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #34
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
radix's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
It was by the Balboa Pier. About 2 streets down on the boardwalk. Cant miss it

They were Cohibas. I havent really dealt with cubans much at all, so Im not really positive what to look for. Labels looked legit, ring sizes were not perfect & bottom of the box looked genuine stamped.
But were they cuban cohibas? Did the bands look like this?



or this?


Last edited by radix; 06-17-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #35
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
20
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 2

iTrader: (0)

you need to watch out at cigar shops. Sometimes even the employees don't know what the fuck they are talking about, and sometimes they do know what they are talking about and will sell you fake cubans and laugh about it when you walk out with some. The best way to tell is experience. When you smoke enough cubans you develop a sense of what is fake and what isn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #36
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
20
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 2

iTrader: (0)

I have smoked so many different cigars that I cannot even begin to remember them all. What I can say is that the Padron 3000 maduro is my go to cigar to compare all others to. They are the most consistent cigar ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #37
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
radix's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
you need to watch out at cigar shops. Sometimes even the employees don't know what the fuck they are talking about, and sometimes they do know what they are talking about and will sell you fake cubans and laugh about it when you walk out with some. The best way to tell is experience. When you smoke enough cubans you develop a sense of what is fake and what isn't.
This is good advice. If you don't have the experience, find someone who does that you trust and bring them with you. Here's some more guidance, things I've learned over the years when it comes to cubans:

1. As for experimenting with new vendors, your first purchase should always be made with what you consider to be throw away money. They may have a great reputation, but every new vendor should be dealt with with suspicion to begin with. You don't have to voice that suspicion, but they're guilty until proven otherwise.

2. You should always order the first box from a seller you've never done business with before "intact" where possible, IMO. Singles and mixed sampler packs should be avoided until you trust the seller.

3. Once you do trust the seller, it's usually good to form a first name basis relationship with them if possible.

4. The first order from a new seller should be a "consistent" cigar, ideally it should be relatively distinctive, and preferably something you are already familiar with.

5. Generally stay away sellers who won't ship intact.

6. Stay away from vendors who won't guarantee shipping.

7. Look for vendors that are authorized by Habanos SA.

8. If prices look to good to be true, they probably are.


As I mentioned before, I'll get more into spotting fakes without smoking them later when my next shipment arrives. However, there is ultimately no substitute for developing a feel for the texture, flavor, and aroma of habanos.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #38
Lagger1
Private First Class
Lagger1's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: valvetronic engaged
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA

iTrader: (0)

Yeah homie, thats what I meant by labels looked legit. And not fake ass crooked mexican printed labels legit

I always understood Cubans in the same box will vary in size, since all the good rollers fled to Dom. Rep & Nicuragua early on in search of a better life. They have better wages and working conditions over there in general. Therefore Cuba is left with the inferior rollers & kids who cant flee the country. So they typically utilize a bunch of kids to roll their smokes & the result are a bunch of imperfections that still get sold.

But I havent been there so I cant tell for certain
__________________
2006 330i | AW | 6MT | ZSP | LOGIC | ADAPTIVE | PBX

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #39
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
20
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 2

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
Yeah homie, thats what I meant by labels looked legit. And not fake ass crooked mexican printed labels legit

I always understood Cubans in the same box will vary in size, since all the good rollers fled to Dom. Rep & Nicuragua early on in search of a better life. They have better wages and working conditions over there in general. Therefore Cuba is left with the inferior rollers & kids who cant flee the country. So they typically utilize a bunch of kids to roll their smokes & the result are a bunch of imperfections that still get sold.

But I havent been there so I cant tell for certain
Absolutely wrong!! When you look at cuban cigars in a box, they are always exactly the same size. None of the cigars should be shorter or longer then the others, and there is never any stray leaves hanging out. They are always pristine looking. The wrappers are always very smooth, i.e. no veins or stems bulging. And when you smell them, it should smell like manure and NOT like the cedar box. The bands are always perfectly aligned on every cigar. And finally, there should be no discoloration on any of the cigars.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #40
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
20
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 2

iTrader: (0)

man those cigars were good...
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #41
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
radix's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
Absolutely wrong!! When you look at cuban cigars in a box, they are always exactly the same size. None of the cigars should be shorter or longer then the others, and there is never any stray leaves hanging out. They are always pristine looking. The wrappers are always very smooth, i.e. no veins or stems bulging. And when you smell them, it should smell like manure and NOT like the cedar box. The bands are always perfectly aligned on every cigar. And finally, there should be no discoloration on any of the cigars.
Agreed. You clearly know your stuff. There are a couple of exceptions to some of the above however, but as a general rule you're spot on.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #42
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Good info. Don't smoke often but will when the occasion calls for it...one which might hopefully be coming up...anyone in Chicagoland know what's up with Cubans? Feyd?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #43
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
20
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 2

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Agreed. You clearly know your stuff. There are a couple of exceptions to some of the above however, but as a general rule you're spot on.
I've only been smoking for 5 years, but I have the experience of someone who has been smoking for 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #44
Armada
Private First Class
1
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: e82
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

Andrew, had no idea you enjoyed a fine cigar. I have a vinotemp housing my sticks right now. It's getting pretty empty, so I need to make a trip to the local B&M. Come in the ol' chat and let's talk about doing some box splits
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST