BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,349
iTrader: (7)

TV advice

Hey whats up guys I'm in the market of buying a TV probably pick it up by next Saturday. I checked out best buy and narrowed it down to two one of them is a Samsung 32inch LCD 1080p and the other is a Samsung 26inch LED-LCD 720p both are the same price. My question is I'm mostly using the TV for Xbox and watching some TV/DVDs. I had my heart set on a 32inch and would get a 32inch led but its 300bucks more then i wanted to spend.

the quality for the LED is superior to the LCD but 26inch is a bit smaller then i wanted since it will be going in my room. I'm a bit confused what do you guys think? i feel like there gonna do a 1080p led and the 720 is gonna be outdated soon. i don't really know anyone with a LED tv personally so i can't even ask a friend for input so i thought some of you guys probably have LEDs.
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
 
Drives: X6 50i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,437
iTrader: (0)

720P has been outdated for about 3 years... no matter what make sure you get a 1080.
NYCGarbagePrince is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,349
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
720P has been outdated for about 3 years... no matter what make sure you get a 1080.
yeah thats what im thinking but i mean isn't led relatively new why do they have 720 in them?
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary Canada

Posts: 265
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
720P has been outdated for about 3 years... no matter what make sure you get a 1080.
+1 There is no point getting inferior resolution with just superior lighting and energy efficiency
gun6slinger9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,349
iTrader: (7)

hmm so the 1080p lcd seems like a better buy?
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary Canada

Posts: 265
iTrader: (0)

IMO yes because an LED tv is basically just higher energy savings and the picture will be brighter. Resolution is much more important to me than a brighter picture and energy usage.
gun6slinger9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
 
Freakazoid's Avatar
 
Drives: Saturn Redline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 967
iTrader: (0)

alright i'm not going to be one of those guys that goes on a rant.... but all the people here who are spouting about the resolution really have next to no idea what they're talking about (no offense). This unfounded perception is what continues this 1080p vs 720p senseless debates on these small screens.
On a 32 inch screen you will NOT be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you're using it as a monitor as well. I can promise you this.... The OTHER characteristics will come into play.

Ultimately it's your call between the 6 inches. Personally as I'll bet they're both widescreens, I'd go for the smaller one, as the real estate loss isn't quite as extreme as the old school square tv 6 inch loss.

I can just about guarantee you that the 'only' 720p LED will look significantly better than the 1080p LCD.
Freakazoid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary Canada

Posts: 265
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
alright i'm not going to be one of those guys that goes on a rant.... but all the people here who are spouting about the resolution really have next to no idea what they're talking about (no offense). This unfounded perception is what continues this 1080p vs 720p senseless debates on these small screens.
On a 32 inch screen you will NOT be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you're using it as a monitor as well. I can promise you this.... The OTHER characteristics will come into play.

Ultimately it's your call between the 6 inches. Personally as I'll bet they're both widescreens, I'd go for the smaller one, as the real estate loss isn't quite as extreme as the old school square tv 6 inch loss.

I can just about guarantee you that the 'only' 720p LED will look significantly better than the 1080p LCD.
I'm not sure about you but when I was in the market for a new tv I could see a difference between the resolutions. It may have been Best Buy changing settings, to make the more expensive tv sell, but this is my experience. There is no doubt a LED tv will "look" better as they are usually brighter and slimmer. But from my experience 1080p vs 720p is very noticeable.
gun6slinger9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,349
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post
I'm not sure about you but when I was in the market for a new tv I could see a difference between the resolutions. It may have been Best Buy changing settings, to make the more expensive tv sell, but this is my experience. There is no doubt a LED tv will "look" better as they are usually brighter and slimmer. But from my experience 1080p vs 720p is very noticeable.
yeah we have a 720 45inch in our family room and a 1080 42 in our basement and i can tell a the difference easily from picture quality
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
1080p for sure. Samsung is a great brand, I really recommend their TVs
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
ABQ325i
Private First Class
 
ABQ325i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

Posts: 158
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I would like to echo BTM's comment about recommending Samsung. We have a 1080 in our living room and I absolutely love it, we also have a Sony 720 in the bedroom and you really can tell the difference.

XBOX 360 & PS3 games look so good on the Samsung
ABQ325i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,349
iTrader: (7)

yeah thanks guys I'm going with the 1080 LCD
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST