BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #23
longtran
Moderator
 
longtran's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 16,617
iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
WTF is BOTH of your problems??

I was QUESTION WHAT HE WAS REFERRING TO.
are you the e90post cop??? why question people??? does it matter??? only reason why i posted what i said before is because you've been on people's ass once they say something bad to nikki or about her pic. just let it go man.
longtran is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #24
ADHD
Brigadier General
 
ADHD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Magic Mountain

Posts: 4,057
iTrader: (38)

Garage List
07 e90 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
06 325i  [0.00]
MY problem is every pic thread she has if someone says something negative U have some comment to say like u dont agree or no thats how its suppost to be.
I would take your info valuable if you actually had a digital camera!
__________________
ADHD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #25
Nikki
Major General
 
Nikki's Avatar
 
Drives: del Sol VTEC
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: OC

Posts: 6,369
iTrader: (9)

LOL, anyways, the camera has the stock lens and everything. I just got it a little over a week ago. The outdoor shots aren't as crisp because they were taken in pitch black settings without flash or tripod at 800 ISO and the indoor shots didn't have much lighting either. The ones I have taken of my car have all been outdoors in good lighting or on a tripod.

And simmi, I can't figure out where that is without a city. If you mean in Boca, yeah.
__________________
Nikki

Nikki is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #26
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
 
ver.e90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
LOL, anyways, the camera has the stock lens and everything. I just got it a little over a week ago. The outdoor shots aren't as crisp because they were taken in pitch black settings without flash or tripod at 800 ISO and the indoor shots didn't have much lighting either. The ones I have taken of my car have all been outdoors in good lighting or on a tripod.

And simmi, I can't figure out where that is without a city. If you mean in Boca, yeah.

Oops- sorry. Yes, its in Boca. If you're in need of a dentist, you should look up my buddy, Dr. Danny Ly (pronounced "Lee"), who has a practice at that address... http://www.dentalestheticsofbocaraton.com/index.html

So, what's your initial impression of the XTi? Were you using an Elph previous to this? I actually think your night shots are pretty impressive, given the limited equipment you had...
__________________
'06 330i | SG/Blk, Burl Walnut | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | NAV | CA | Sirius
ver.e90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #27
///Matt
United States Marine
 
///Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ///Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
are you the e90post cop??? why question people???

Generally, the purpose of a question is to clarify confusion on a given subject. In this case, he said the image wasn't crisp. That's pretty vague, so I wanted to know what he meant, so I could decide for myself whether I agreed or disagreed.


And ADHD:

I've got plenty of camera experience. Far more than a great number of people on this forum. I was well on my way to being a professional photographer. I have several thousand dollars worth of SLR equipment at home. Just because I haven't spent the money to get a D-SLR yet, doesn't mean that I have an inaccurate opinion/information on photography.
///Matt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #28
Nikki
Major General
 
Nikki's Avatar
 
Drives: del Sol VTEC
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: OC

Posts: 6,369
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmi
Oops- sorry. Yes, its in Boca. If you're in need of a dentist, you should look up my buddy, Dr. Danny Ly (pronounced "Lee"), who has a practice at that address... http://www.dentalestheticsofbocaraton.com/index.html

So, what's your initial impression of the XTi? Were you using an Elph previous to this? I actually think your night shots are pretty impressive, given the limited equipment you had...

Thanks, I would be interested in one maybe because my current dentist charges a fortune and won't do my insurance paperwork for me.

Yeah well I love the new camera, I know I don't come close to doing it justice so far, and I am excited about growing into it. I used a Canon SD500 before this. Yeah the shots of the butterfly, flower it was very dark and I had to use like 1/20 and keep extremely still. I have very still hands, no shakes The ones inside it still wasn't too bright, it was pretty dark and the games were what was providing all of the light. I did my best, I think they came out ok I guess I should try using that noiseninja program but I think as far as sharpness that was the best I could do right now without a tripod in those lighting conditions.
__________________
Nikki

Nikki is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #29
longtran
Moderator
 
longtran's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 16,617
iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Thanks, I would be interested in one maybe because my current dentist charges a fortune and won't do my insurance paperwork for me.

Yeah well I love the new camera, I know I don't come close to doing it justice so far, and I am excited about growing into it. I used a Canon SD500 before this. Yeah the shots of the butterfly, flower it was very dark and I had to use like 1/20 and keep extremely still. I have very still hands, no shakes The ones inside it still wasn't too bright, it was pretty dark and the games were what was providing all of the light. I did my best, I think they came out ok I guess I should try using that noiseninja program but I think as far as sharpness that was the best I could do right now without a tripod in those lighting conditions.
i was looking at your pic, i notice you do really have some still hands. i have tried this and never got a clear shot. thats awesome. you're like the human tripod.
longtran is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #30
Nikki
Major General
 
Nikki's Avatar
 
Drives: del Sol VTEC
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: OC

Posts: 6,369
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
i was looking at your pic, i notice you do really have some still hands. i have tried this and never got a clear shot. thats awesome. you're like the human tripod.
lol thanks i try! the ddr one was the hardest hahaha i was laughing my ass off trying to take it because ym friend was playing.
__________________
Nikki

Nikki is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #31
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
 
ScBlacksunshine's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LBC

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
I have several thousand dollars worth of SLR equipment at home. Just because I haven't spent the money to get a D-SLR yet, .

So that would mean you bought one Hasselblad camera?
__________________
ScBlacksunshine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #32
longtran
Moderator
 
longtran's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 16,617
iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
lol thanks i try! the ddr one was the hardest hahaha i was laughing my ass off trying to take it because ym friend was playing.
i need to get myself a monopod.
longtran is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #33
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
 
ScBlacksunshine's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LBC

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Nikki,

Did you turn up the sharpness setting on the XTi? Also, ISO800 should be pretty good at low light since Canon is famous for low noise high ISO quality. However if you want to shoot more low light photography w/o flash/strobe, try one of the Canon IS lens or (L IS) IS does wonder for low light non fast motion photography. at least 4 stops advantage. If normally you require 1/250 shutter speed, with IS on, you can shoot at 1/15 sec.
__________________
ScBlacksunshine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #34
///Matt
United States Marine
 
///Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ///Matt
SC...

That last thing about shutter speeds seems backwards. Wouldn't that be "if you needed 1/15" with a normal lens, then with this low-light lens, you could use 1/250 and get the same exposure?
///Matt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #35
Nikki
Major General
 
Nikki's Avatar
 
Drives: del Sol VTEC
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: OC

Posts: 6,369
iTrader: (9)

Hmm, no I don't know how to increase the sharpness on the camera, I just did it in Photoshop. I know I am limited by the stock lens but I shot with a point and shoot for a year and was ok with it, lol I think I will be fine. Once I feel like I am getting the most I can out of this camera I will get a new lens or other things. It's not my money, I'm not even going to be working next semester because I'm taking 21 credits instead of 19.
__________________
Nikki

Nikki is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #36
ADHD
Brigadier General
 
ADHD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Magic Mountain

Posts: 4,057
iTrader: (38)

Garage List
07 e90 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Hmm, no I don't know how to increase the sharpness on the camera, I just did it in Photoshop. I know I am limited by the stock lens but I shot with a point and shoot for a year and was ok with it, lol I think I will be fine. Once I feel like I am getting the most I can out of this camera I will get a new lens or other things. It's not my money, I'm not even going to be working next semester because I'm taking 21 credits instead of 19.
Ive seen the 18-55 take some awesome shots! some are good copies some are not. do some research on DPREVIEW and youll find our for yourself! I think your doing fine for the stock lens! it takes a good month to get used to a DSLR and all its cool funcitons and how and when not to use them!! remmeber take lots of the same shot at different setting so u can learn how your camera reacts in certain situations!

click menu on your camara and scroll down to whats called parameters! u can set your parameters with higher or lower contrast, sharpness, saturation, and color tone!
__________________
ADHD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #37
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
 
ScBlacksunshine's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LBC

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
SC...

That last thing about shutter speeds seems backwards. Wouldn't that be "if you needed 1/15" with a normal lens, then with this low-light lens, you could use 1/250 and get the same exposure?
Nope, not backward, let's say without IS you need F4 at 1/250th. with IS you can now work with F8 at 1/15..I guess I left out the aperture part in my last post in explaining the IS.
__________________
ScBlacksunshine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #38
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
 
ScBlacksunshine's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LBC

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
Ive seen the 18-55 take some awesome shots! some are good copies some are not. do some research on DPREVIEW and youll find our for yourself! I think your doing fine for the stock lens! it takes a good month to get used to a DSLR and all its cool funcitons and how and when not to use them!! remmeber take lots of the same shot at different setting so u can learn how your camera reacts in certain situations!

click menu on your camara and scroll down to whats called parameters! u can set your parameters with higher or lower contrast, sharpness, saturation, and color tone!
I agree with you, however kit lens will look fine on 5x4 or even 8x10 print. However try using L lens and compare it with kit lens on 100% then you'll notice the difference when it comes to CA, brokeh...etc
__________________
ScBlacksunshine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #39
///Matt
United States Marine
 
///Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ///Matt
SC,

It doesn't seem like that lens does much then. F4-1/250 and F8-1/15
are pretty similar exposures, I'd think. The point of a low-light lens would be, to me, to allow you to take a shorter exposure with the same f#, OR have a higher f# with the same exposure time.

For instance:
a good exposure is taken with f4-1/15. But you have too much camera shake. You either need to hold the camera more still, or speed up the shutter. So you stick on this low-light lens, and take your picture at f4-1/250, which eliminates the camera shake, while not changing the composition of your pic by altering Depth of Field.

Or you could also have an innapropriate depth of field at f4-1/250, but if you raise your f# you'll underexpose, so you change to this other lens and shoot at f8-1/250, getting the same exposure level but the right DOF.

It just seems like an average lens to me if you're raising f-stops AND lowering exposure time.
///Matt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #40
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
 
ScBlacksunshine's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LBC

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
SC,

It doesn't seem like that lens does much then. F4-1/250 and F8-1/15
are pretty similar exposures, I'd think. The point of a low-light lens would be, to me, to allow you to take a shorter exposure with the same f#, OR have a higher f# with the same exposure time.

For instance:
a good exposure is taken with f4-1/15. But you have too much camera shake. You either need to hold the camera more still, or speed up the shutter. So you stick on this low-light lens, and take your picture at f4-1/250, which eliminates the camera shake, while not changing the composition of your pic by altering Depth of Field.

Or you could also have an innapropriate depth of field at f4-1/250, but if you raise your f# you'll underexpose, so you change to this other lens and shoot at f8-1/250, getting the same exposure level but the right DOF.

It just seems like an average lens to me if you're raising f-stops AND lowering exposure time.

Keything to remember...4 stop advantage in lowlight condition...this will explain it better..

Image stabilization is a family of techniques to increase the stability of an image. It is used in image-stabilized binoculars, photography, videography, and astronomical telescopes. With still cameras, camera shake is particularly problematic at slow shutter speeds or with long focal length (telephoto) lenses. With video cameras, camera shake causes visible frame-to-frame jittering in the video recorded. With astronomy, these problems are compounded by variations in the atmosphere over time, which causes the apparent position of objects to move.

Contents [hide]
1 Techniques of image stabilization
1.1 Optical Image Stabilization
1.2 Moving the image sensor
1.3 Digital image stabilization
1.4 Stabilization filters
1.5 Orthogonal Transfer CCD
2 References



[edit] Techniques of image stabilization

[edit] Optical Image Stabilization
An Optical Image Stabilizer, often abbreviated as OIS, is a mechanism used in a digital still camera or video camera that stabilizes the recorded image by varying the optical path to the sensor.[1] In Canon's implementation, it works by using a floating lens element that is moved orthogonally to the optical axis of the lens, using electromagnets. The vibration signal which is compensated for by the stabilizing lens element is typically aquired using two piezoelectric angular velocity sensors (often also called gyroscopic sensors).[2]


[edit] Moving the image sensor
The sensor capturing the image may be moved in such a way as to counteract the motion of the camera. Konica Minolta used a technique called "anti-shake" now marketed as SteadyShot in the Sony α line, which relies on a very precise angle speed sensor to detect camera motion.[3] Other manufacturers use DSPs to analyze the image on the fly and then move the sensor appropriately.


[edit] Digital image stabilization
Digital image stabilization is used in some video cameras. This technique shifts the electronic image from frame to frame of video, enough to counteract the motion. It uses pixels outside the border of the visible frame to provide a buffer for the motion.


[edit] Stabilization filters
Many Non-linear editing systems use stabilization filters that can correct a non-stabilized image by tracking the movement of pixels in the image and correcting the image by moving the frame. The process is similar to Digital image stabilization but since there is no "larger" image to work with the filter ether crops the image down to hide the motion of the frame or attempts to recreate the lost image at the edge through extrapolation.


[edit] Orthogonal Transfer CCD
Used in astronomy, an orthogonal transfer CCD (OTCCD) actually shifts the image within the CCD itself while the image is being captured, based on analysis of the apparent motion of bright stars. This is a rare example of digital stabilization for still pictures. An example of this is in the upcoming gigapixel telescope Pan-STARRS being constructed in Hawaii.[4]
__________________
ScBlacksunshine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #41
///Matt
United States Marine
 
///Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ///Matt
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything in thee which helps.
///Matt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #42
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
 
ScBlacksunshine's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LBC

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Here's another, other then that I don't know how to explain it to you..


http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s...ak/stabilizer/
__________________
ScBlacksunshine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #43
longtran
Moderator
 
longtran's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 16,617
iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything in thee which helps.
i guess this is why you didnt become a professional photographer???
longtran is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #44
diesel007
Not Stock
 
diesel007's Avatar
 
Drives: 325I
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 2,774
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
lol
__________________
***Wallpaper of the month***

1/1/072/1/07
diesel007 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST