BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
drburton
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 449
iTrader: (3)

Another Dinan Exhaust Review

My mindset when getting an exhaust was to add a little more menace to the car, but in a reasonable manner. This is my daily driver, parked in a garage of professionals. Certainly didn't want a screaming loud or annoying exhaust.

The sound is definitely WAY lower, when you first start the car it sounds like an old muscle car. Probably about 20% louder than stock initially. Then it levels out to idle pretty close to the same volume as stock, a bit deeper still.

When driving it is deeper and louder, but you can still listen to the radio, hold a conversation etc.. without any issue. Even with windows open. I think there is some minor drone, I noticed it when it first went on, but don't even notice anymore. I am very sensitive to drone, so nominal.

At high revs, it screams. Sounds fantastic. At the track I had at least three people I passed come up and mention how great it sounded coming by.

I read a number of reviews for this before I purchased it and was a bit worried that it wasn't going to provide enough of a difference versus stock, at a hefty price. Anyone considering this exhaust, I want to assure you it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than stock. But it doesn't have the drawbacks of being super loud, drone etc...

Loving it.
drburton is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
isugoo
Major General
 
isugoo's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 5,579
iTrader: (60)

That's exactly why I went with Dinan.
Then I added mid-pipe. Now it's different animal. While keeping the civilized volume, it's even nicer than before. Only problems are 1. car is smog illegal. 2. smell. But with its soundtrack and power gain, it's really hard to go back to stock mid-pipe..

Congrat!
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
isugoo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
ACG San Diego
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
That's exactly why I went with Dinan.
Then I added mid-pipe. Now it's different animal. While keeping the civilized volume, it's even nicer than before. Only problems are 1. car is smog illegal. 2. smell. But with its soundtrack and power gain, it's really hard to go back to stock mid-pipe..

Congrat!

Dinan on your car sounds perfect. Its supposed to be tame but it sounds pretty aggressive!
ACG San Diego is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,035
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
That's exactly why I went with Dinan.
Then I added mid-pipe. Now it's different animal. While keeping the civilized volume, it's even nicer than before. Only problems are 1. car is smog illegal. 2. smell. But with its soundtrack and power gain, it's really hard to go back to stock mid-pipe..

Congrat!
Switch to an aftermarket exhaust with HFC's or get Gintani's HFC custom installed. That's what I did but they installed it on their own x-pipe.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
PunjabiM3's Avatar
 
Drives: R8 5.2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

Posts: 1,758
iTrader: (1)

I have been very happy with the Dinan mufflers paired with the Fabspeed high flow cats and resonated x-pipe. Sounds perfect in terms of loudness and is quiet when cruising!
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10, 6MT, Suzuka Gray, Larini Clubsport exhaust, Klassen M52R, GMG springs, Satin Black badges
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, Moonlight Blue
2014 BMW 528i, Space Gray
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
PunjabiM3 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

i love my Dinan midpipe and muffler and the smell isn't that bad at all. for me anyway, maybe others are more sensitive

the sound is just amazing!! and best of all no drone, then the power increase was awesome, i couldn't be happier with it

and agreed i always get people telling me how sick the car sounds
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Fen335i
Captain
 
Fen335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

Posts: 783
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
I have been very happy with the Dinan mufflers paired with the Fabspeed high flow cats and resonated x-pipe. Sounds perfect in terms of loudness and is quiet when cruising!
We need a sound clip PunjabiM3! :-) I know I've already asked this before....but I don't believe there has been a sound clip made of the Dinan rear section paired w/Fabspeed's xpipe and hfc's. You would be the first! We want to hear it!
Fen335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

+1 want to hear it also
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,035
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I'll try and get a video of my gintani xpipe w/ HFC and dinan axle back. Sounds throaty until like 5-6k rpm, after that it screams with some rasp in it.

I wonder how different the gintani and fabspeed xpipes will change the tone. Mine doesn't sound like H_bombs from the videos he posted.

I'm planning to make videos from inside the cabin and outside revving. Am I missing anything I should record before I start?
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Fen335i
Captain
 
Fen335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

Posts: 783
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I'll try and get a video of my gintani xpipe w/ HFC and dinan axle back. Sounds throaty until like 5-6k rpm, after that it screams with some rasp in it.

I wonder how different the gintani and fabspeed xpipes will change the tone. Mine doesn't sound like H_bombs from the videos he posted.

I'm planning to make videos from inside the cabin and outside revving. Am I missing anything I should record before I start?
Thanks in advance MrHarris! It would be great to hear what it sounds like with a load on it (when moving/accellerating) as well. Maybe some "fly-bys"???
Fen335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
MNm3
Lieutenant
 
MNm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 491
iTrader: (0)

FINALLY! Someone with an aftermarket exhaust in the area. PM me, if you are in the area, I'd like to hear it sometime. I'm in the market for exhaust and I am yet to hear any aftermarket on an e9x m3 in person.
__________________
2009 E90 Le Mans Blue M3 6MT De-Chromed, AiB V3, Rogue SSK, Brembo BBK, Eibach Pro Kit, Eisenmann Race Black, ESS Tune, MS Filter. 1998.5 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe Race Car.
MNm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
Cab5er
Colonel
 
Cab5er's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3 & 07 TL
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Hainan

Posts: 2,338
iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I'll try and get a video of my gintani xpipe w/ HFC and dinan axle back. Sounds throaty until like 5-6k rpm, after that it screams with some rasp in it.

I wonder how different the gintani and fabspeed xpipes will change the tone. Mine doesn't sound like H_bombs from the videos he posted.

I'm planning to make videos from inside the cabin and outside revving. Am I missing anything I should record before I start?


Looking forward to the clips. I believe I walked by when you were reving your car in the parking lot at bimmerfest. Made me stop to take a listen. Sounds awesome. I was telling my girl how much meaner it sounds compared to my dinan muffler only. I will be mating my dinan muffler with aa xpipe in the near future. Hope it'll sound as good as yours.
__________________

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Cab5er is offline   China
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
cbnat
Looking for the Apex
 
cbnat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 911 C4S
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone installed the exhaust themselves or did all of you take it to a shop?
__________________
2011 Porsche C4S
2010 E93 M3
2009 Cadillac Escalade
1967 Camaro
1978 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40
cbnat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
Hunter399
Major General
 
Hunter399's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (30)

Looking forward to ordering my Dinan exhaust
Hunter399 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
ASU
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 200
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
My mindset when getting an exhaust was to add a little more menace to the car, but in a reasonable manner. This is my daily driver, parked in a garage of professionals. Certainly didn't want a screaming loud or annoying exhaust.

The sound is definitely WAY lower, when you first start the car it sounds like an old muscle car. Probably about 20% louder than stock initially. Then it levels out to idle pretty close to the same volume as stock, a bit deeper still.

When driving it is deeper and louder, but you can still listen to the radio, hold a conversation etc.. without any issue. Even with windows open. I think there is some minor drone, I noticed it when it first went on, but don't even notice anymore. I am very sensitive to drone, so nominal.

At high revs, it screams. Sounds fantastic. At the track I had at least three people I passed come up and mention how great it sounded coming by.

I read a number of reviews for this before I purchased it and was a bit worried that it wasn't going to provide enough of a difference versus stock, at a hefty price. Anyone considering this exhaust, I want to assure you it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than stock. But it doesn't have the drawbacks of being super loud, drone etc...

Loving it.
Drburton,

just to make sure I know what you have installed...Do you have the racing pipes or just the Free Flow Exhaust? I recently ordered (a month ago to get the sale price) the Free Flow Exhaust hoping to get exactly what you just described. I was thinking about the mid pipes but put it off.

Isugoo and Hbomb - if you don't mind can you tell me approx. what did you paid for the full set up including the mid pipes?

Tks,
ASU is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Hunter399
Major General
 
Hunter399's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (30)

I have still yet to hear a good Dinan full exhaust video.
Hunter399 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
 
Golgothar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
I have still yet to hear a good Dinan full exhaust video.
If you want to hear the axle back PM me and i'd be more than happy to meet you around town so you could hear mine.

As far as the Mid+Axle back i would contact Scott Durham at BMW North as one of the Managers there has the full Dinan exhaust setup.
I'm sure they would be more than happy to let you hear it and order it for you if you liked it.
I heard it when my car was there getting the Dinan ECU & Pulley, it sounds awesome but im just not ready to do the whole non-compliant and exhaust fumes thing.

Cheers!

-Mike
__________________

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Golgothar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Hunter399
Major General
 
Hunter399's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
If you want to hear the axle back PM me and i'd be more than happy to meet you around town so you could hear mine.

As far as the Mid+Axle back i would contact Scott Durham at BMW North as one of the Managers there has the full Dinan exhaust setup.
I'm sure they would be more than happy to let you hear it and order it for you if you liked it.
I heard it when my car was there getting the Dinan ECU & Pulley, it sounds awesome but im just not ready to do the whole non-compliant and exhaust fumes thing.

Cheers!

-Mike
Thanks for the offer Mike.

I actually went up there today and heard it . WOW
Hunter399 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

i have some but they don't sound as good as in person. i don't know why and i tried all kinds of settings on the camera but in person is best for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
I have still yet to hear a good Dinan full exhaust video.
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #20
MysticBlue
Major
 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

Posts: 1,210
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
If you want to hear the axle back PM me and i'd be more than happy to meet you around town so you could hear mine.

As far as the Mid+Axle back i would contact Scott Durham at BMW North as one of the Managers there has the full Dinan exhaust setup.
I'm sure they would be more than happy to let you hear it and order it for you if you liked it.
I heard it when my car was there getting the Dinan ECU & Pulley, it sounds awesome but im just not ready to do the whole non-compliant and exhaust fumes thing.

Cheers!

-Mike
So how much louder is the Mid+Axle back vs. just the Axle back by itself?
MysticBlue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

at cruising it is no louder at all, and still no drone. after 4k is where it gets louder but a nice exotic loud. it is only loud when you want it to be. i love mine. civil if not on it but when wot it comes alive. idle may be a tad louder. the power increase is so sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
So how much louder is the Mid+Axle back vs. just the Axle back by itself?
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST