BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GTB Performance

05-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
drburton
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Another Dinan Exhaust Review

My mindset when getting an exhaust was to add a little more menace to the car, but in a reasonable manner. This is my daily driver, parked in a garage of professionals. Certainly didn't want a screaming loud or annoying exhaust.

The sound is definitely WAY lower, when you first start the car it sounds like an old muscle car. Probably about 20% louder than stock initially. Then it levels out to idle pretty close to the same volume as stock, a bit deeper still.

When driving it is deeper and louder, but you can still listen to the radio, hold a conversation etc.. without any issue. Even with windows open. I think there is some minor drone, I noticed it when it first went on, but don't even notice anymore. I am very sensitive to drone, so nominal.

At high revs, it screams. Sounds fantastic. At the track I had at least three people I passed come up and mention how great it sounded coming by.

I read a number of reviews for this before I purchased it and was a bit worried that it wasn't going to provide enough of a difference versus stock, at a hefty price. Anyone considering this exhaust, I want to assure you it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than stock. But it doesn't have the drawbacks of being super loud, drone etc...

Loving it.
      05-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
isugoo
Major General

Drives: 14 M5 CP

That's exactly why I went with Dinan.
Then I added mid-pipe. Now it's different animal. While keeping the civilized volume, it's even nicer than before. Only problems are 1. car is smog illegal. 2. smell. But with its soundtrack and power gain, it's really hard to go back to stock mid-pipe..

Congrat!

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
isugoo is offline   United_States
      05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
ACG San Diego
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Then I added mid-pipe. Now it's different animal. While keeping the civilized volume, it's even nicer than before. Only problems are 1. car is smog illegal. 2. smell. But with its soundtrack and power gain, it's really hard to go back to stock mid-pipe..

Congrat!

Dinan on your car sounds perfect. Its supposed to be tame but it sounds pretty aggressive!
ACG San Diego is offline   United_States
      05-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post

Congrat!
Switch to an aftermarket exhaust with HFC's or get Gintani's HFC custom installed. That's what I did but they installed it on their own x-pipe.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is online now   United_States
      05-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: R8 5.2 6MT

I have been very happy with the Dinan mufflers paired with the Fabspeed high flow cats and resonated x-pipe. Sounds perfect in terms of loudness and is quiet when cruising!
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
PunjabiM3 is offline   India
      05-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 M3

i love my Dinan midpipe and muffler and the smell isn't that bad at all. for me anyway, maybe others are more sensitive

the sound is just amazing!! and best of all no drone, then the power increase was awesome, i couldn't be happier with it

and agreed i always get people telling me how sick the car sounds
      05-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Fen335i
Captain

Drives: e92 M3 / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
I have been very happy with the Dinan mufflers paired with the Fabspeed high flow cats and resonated x-pipe. Sounds perfect in terms of loudness and is quiet when cruising!
We need a sound clip PunjabiM3! :-) I know I've already asked this before....but I don't believe there has been a sound clip made of the Dinan rear section paired w/Fabspeed's xpipe and hfc's. You would be the first! We want to hear it!
      05-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

+1 want to hear it also
      05-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I'll try and get a video of my gintani xpipe w/ HFC and dinan axle back. Sounds throaty until like 5-6k rpm, after that it screams with some rasp in it.

I wonder how different the gintani and fabspeed xpipes will change the tone. Mine doesn't sound like H_bombs from the videos he posted.

I'm planning to make videos from inside the cabin and outside revving. Am I missing anything I should record before I start?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is online now   United_States
      06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Fen335i
Captain

Drives: e92 M3 / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I'll try and get a video of my gintani xpipe w/ HFC and dinan axle back. Sounds throaty until like 5-6k rpm, after that it screams with some rasp in it.

I wonder how different the gintani and fabspeed xpipes will change the tone. Mine doesn't sound like H_bombs from the videos he posted.

I'm planning to make videos from inside the cabin and outside revving. Am I missing anything I should record before I start?
Thanks in advance MrHarris! It would be great to hear what it sounds like with a load on it (when moving/accellerating) as well. Maybe some "fly-bys"???
      06-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
MNm3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

FINALLY! Someone with an aftermarket exhaust in the area. PM me, if you are in the area, I'd like to hear it sometime. I'm in the market for exhaust and I am yet to hear any aftermarket on an e9x m3 in person.
      06-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
Cab5er
Colonel

Drives: 09 E90 M3 & 07 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post

Looking forward to the clips. I believe I walked by when you were reving your car in the parking lot at bimmerfest. Made me stop to take a listen. Sounds awesome. I was telling my girl how much meaner it sounds compared to my dinan muffler only. I will be mating my dinan muffler with aa xpipe in the near future. Hope it'll sound as good as yours.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Cab5er is offline   China
      07-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
cbnat
Looking for the Apex

Drives: 2011 911 C4S

Has anyone installed the exhaust themselves or did all of you take it to a shop?
1967 Camaro
1978 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40
      07-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
Hunter399
Major General

Drives: F30 335i

Looking forward to ordering my Dinan exhaust
      07-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
ASU
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
My mindset when getting an exhaust was to add a little more menace to the car, but in a reasonable manner. This is my daily driver, parked in a garage of professionals. Certainly didn't want a screaming loud or annoying exhaust.

The sound is definitely WAY lower, when you first start the car it sounds like an old muscle car. Probably about 20% louder than stock initially. Then it levels out to idle pretty close to the same volume as stock, a bit deeper still.

When driving it is deeper and louder, but you can still listen to the radio, hold a conversation etc.. without any issue. Even with windows open. I think there is some minor drone, I noticed it when it first went on, but don't even notice anymore. I am very sensitive to drone, so nominal.

At high revs, it screams. Sounds fantastic. At the track I had at least three people I passed come up and mention how great it sounded coming by.

I read a number of reviews for this before I purchased it and was a bit worried that it wasn't going to provide enough of a difference versus stock, at a hefty price. Anyone considering this exhaust, I want to assure you it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than stock. But it doesn't have the drawbacks of being super loud, drone etc...

Loving it.
Drburton,

just to make sure I know what you have installed...Do you have the racing pipes or just the Free Flow Exhaust? I recently ordered (a month ago to get the sale price) the Free Flow Exhaust hoping to get exactly what you just described. I was thinking about the mid pipes but put it off.

Isugoo and Hbomb - if you don't mind can you tell me approx. what did you paid for the full set up including the mid pipes?

Tks,
ASU is offline   Canada
      07-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Hunter399
Major General

I have still yet to hear a good Dinan full exhaust video.
      07-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Golgothar
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
If you want to hear the axle back PM me and i'd be more than happy to meet you around town so you could hear mine.

As far as the Mid+Axle back i would contact Scott Durham at BMW North as one of the Managers there has the full Dinan exhaust setup.
I'm sure they would be more than happy to let you hear it and order it for you if you liked it.
I heard it when my car was there getting the Dinan ECU & Pulley, it sounds awesome but im just not ready to do the whole non-compliant and exhaust fumes thing.

Cheers!

-Mike

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
      07-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Hunter399
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
If you want to hear the axle back PM me and i'd be more than happy to meet you around town so you could hear mine.

As far as the Mid+Axle back i would contact Scott Durham at BMW North as one of the Managers there has the full Dinan exhaust setup.
I'm sure they would be more than happy to let you hear it and order it for you if you liked it.
I heard it when my car was there getting the Dinan ECU & Pulley, it sounds awesome but im just not ready to do the whole non-compliant and exhaust fumes thing.

Cheers!

-Mike
Thanks for the offer Mike.

I actually went up there today and heard it . WOW
      07-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

i have some but they don't sound as good as in person. i don't know why and i tried all kinds of settings on the camera but in person is best for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
      07-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #20
MysticBlue
Major

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post

Cheers!

-Mike
So how much louder is the Mid+Axle back vs. just the Axle back by itself?
      07-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

at cruising it is no louder at all, and still no drone. after 4k is where it gets louder but a nice exotic loud. it is only loud when you want it to be. i love mine. civil if not on it but when wot it comes alive. idle may be a tad louder. the power increase is so sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
So how much louder is the Mid+Axle back vs. just the Axle back by itself?