BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
silvergray545
Skittles
 
silvergray545's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Android Discussion Thread

Discuss.

I'm looking at jumping on the bandwagon. Supposedly this month or next month, there are going to be some new phones released.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Last edited by silvergray545; 06-08-2010 at 12:55 PM.
silvergray545 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,750
iTrader: (1)

Are you on GSM or CDMA? Makes a big difference in which way the discussion goes.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

I'm just worried about buying a Android phone, then the next week a new and better one comes out with twice the speed and capabilities. So I'm just going to wait.
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
silvergray545
Skittles
 
silvergray545's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Are you on GSM or CDMA? Makes a big difference in which way the discussion goes.
I'm with Verizon (CDMA).

I want this to be a general discussion thread for anything. Phones, apps, etc...
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
silvergray545 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
silvergray545
Skittles
 
silvergray545's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
I'm just worried about buying a Android phone, then the next week a new and better one comes out with twice the speed and capabilities. So I'm just going to wait.
With Froyo coming out soon, I don't think there will be too much updating going on after it's released.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
silvergray545 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Couch
Colonel
 
Couch's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 2,903
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
I'm just worried about buying a Android phone, then the next week a new and better one comes out with twice the speed and capabilities. So I'm just going to wait.
There will always be something better and faster coming out. If you waited you'd never get a phone.

Find a group of phones you like, do your research and decide what works for you.

I've had my Moto Droid since the day it came out and I still love it. The best thing about android is that it crosses many carriers and you have options when it comes to which phone you want as well.
Couch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,340
iTrader: (7)

i have the moto droid and love it but i'm waiting for 2.2 with flash!! although I'm really digging the incredible but i'm going to wait till November and see what Verizon has planned since they usually release the next big phone right before Christmas.
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,161
iTrader: (6)

I'm having one issue on my Droid that I can't figure out and am debating on taking it in. Every once and a while my Maps application can't acquire a GPS signal. I'm not sure if it's other installed apps interfering with it or what.

I was thinking of upgrading to the Incredible but I don't know if another better phone would come out around Christmas time.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Dan in PA
Captain
 
Dan in PA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
With Froyo coming out soon, I don't think there will be too much updating going on after it's released.




Google did say (IIRC) that the updates will begin to slow down software wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
There will always be something better and faster coming out. If you waited you'd never get a phone.

Find a group of phones you like, do your research and decide what works for you.

I've had my Moto Droid since the day it came out and I still love it. The best thing about android is that it crosses many carriers and you have options when it comes to which phone you want as well.



Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i have the moto droid and love it but i'm waiting for 2.2 with flash!! although I'm really digging the incredible but i'm going to wait till November and see what Verizon has planned since they usually release the next big phone right before Christmas.



I already have 2.2 and Flash on mine...it's amazing! Everything is literally twice as fast. I was benchmarking at 6.4 Mflops stock, now I'm at 15...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I'm having one issue on my Droid that I can't figure out and am debating on taking it in. Every once and a while my Maps application can't acquire a GPS signal. I'm not sure if it's other installed apps interfering with it or what.

I was thinking of upgrading to the Incredible but I don't know if another better phone would come out around Christmas time.


As far as I know, that isn't a common issue..do other apps which use location have GPS trouble as well?
__________________
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i|DCT|M-Sport|iDrive|Premium Sound|Heated Seats|Comfort Access|PDC|Deep Sea Blue|Cream
[At the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel since 8/17/12]
Dan in PA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
silvergray545
Skittles
 
silvergray545's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i have the moto droid and love it but i'm waiting for 2.2 with flash!! although I'm really digging the incredible but i'm going to wait till November and see what Verizon has planned since they usually release the next big phone right before Christmas.
The Moto Shadow/Xtreme is rumored to come out sometime this month or next month. I'm excited to see that. I'm almost 100% sure that's what I'm going to get.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
silvergray545 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
SpacE82
Major
 
SpacE82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,311
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [4.25]
I got rid of my Crapberry Storm and got the HTC Incredible. Needless to say, its pretty Incredible. I'm really happy with it. Compared to my piece of shit Storm (which I had 5 replacements of btw), its night and day. Its fast, looks great, screen is nice and big, and its got so many different things you can do with it, that i havent figured out yet and there is so much customization. And with the Market, there are always new apps and shit.

I have Verizon too, I would recommend any of the Android phones. My mom has the HTC Eris, which is nice...my brother has the Moto Droid, which is really cool and it has a keyboard..but I still would pick the incredible over all of them due to the 1ghz processor. I mean its like a laptop in your pocket.
SpacE82 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
iBoost
Brigadier General
 
iBoost's Avatar
 
Drives: into the unknown.
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I'm having one issue on my Droid that I can't figure out and am debating on taking it in. Every once and a while my Maps application can't acquire a GPS signal. I'm not sure if it's other installed apps interfering with it or what.

I was thinking of upgrading to the Incredible but I don't know if another better phone would come out around Christmas time.

Mine does the same thing I just close the program and restart it(task killer) and that usually helps
iBoost is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
silvergray545
Skittles
 
silvergray545's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacE82 View Post
I got rid of my Crapberry Storm and got the HTC Incredible. Needless to say, its pretty Incredible. I'm really happy with it. Compared to my piece of shit Storm (which I had 5 replacements of btw), its night and day. Its fast, looks great, screen is nice and big, and its got so many different things you can do with it, that i havent figured out yet and there is so much customization. And with the Market, there are always new apps and shit.

I have Verizon too, I would recommend any of the Android phones. My mom has the HTC Eris, which is nice...my brother has the Moto Droid, which is really cool and it has a keyboard..but I still would pick the incredible over all of them due to the 1ghz processor. I mean its like a laptop in your pocket.
I need to get rid of my Storm. It crashed on me 3 times yesterday.

The Incredible looks pretty solid. They're all sold out every where. It's on a 3 week back order or something crazy like that.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
silvergray545 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,750
iTrader: (1)

I was under the impression that Froyo was being rolled out for the N1 before the Incredible. Not sure about that though.... I'll have to look into it, as I've been out of the development loop for several months now.

It looks like the better non-iPhone options are coming out everywhere except AT&T (gee I wonder why), so those of us on GSM are really missing out, except for the N1.

And, FWIW, yes the updates will come much more slowly now, according to Google.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
SpacE82
Major
 
SpacE82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,311
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Silverygray, just get on the list and preorder it. Thats what I did last month. The manager at the Verizon store I went to said it wont ship out until June 1st, but I got it like three weeks ago.

But yeah, the storm is a piece of garbage. I had it replaced 5 times.....they wouldnt let me get a new phone until finally, the manager let me upgrade 5 months early and thats when i got the Incredible. Do you have the Storm or the Storm 2?
SpacE82 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
silvergray545
Skittles
 
silvergray545's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacE82 View Post
Silverygray, just get on the list and preorder it. Thats what I did last month. The manager at the Verizon store I went to said it wont ship out until June 1st, but I got it like three weeks ago.

But yeah, the storm is a piece of garbage. I had it replaced 5 times.....they wouldnt let me get a new phone until finally, the manager let me upgrade 5 months early and thats when i got the Incredible. Do you have the Storm or the Storm 2?
I think I'm gonna limp by until I see if Motorola announces any new releases.

I have the Storm 1. They won't replace it now because the manufacture's warranty is expired. It expired in March. Such BS. I hate this phone.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
silvergray545 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
choicez
Major
 
choicez's Avatar
 
Drives: you mad
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA

Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (12)

Don't have an android but read this today...

Watch Your TV on Your Android Phone

SlingPlayer Mobile for Android -- it's just about ready and we think it's awesome. Our newest app delivers a superb mobile TV experience. It features great looking picture quality, a sleek new interface and quick startup and control response. Fantastic Android phones are available on all major wireless carriers worldwide.
choicez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
Kroy
Brigadier General
 
Kroy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacE82 View Post
I got rid of my Crapberry Storm and got the HTC Incredible. Needless to say, its pretty Incredible. I'm really happy with it. Compared to my piece of shit Storm (which I had 5 replacements of btw), its night and day. Its fast, looks great, screen is nice and big, and its got so many different things you can do with it, that i havent figured out yet and there is so much customization. And with the Market, there are always new apps and shit.

I have Verizon too, I would recommend any of the Android phones. My mom has the HTC Eris, which is nice...my brother has the Moto Droid, which is really cool and it has a keyboard..but I still would pick the incredible over all of them due to the 1ghz processor. I mean its like a laptop in your pocket.

that's how i feel about my moto droid. *sigh* nice, but incredible is just lightning fast. too bad no keyboard (though i don't really like the moto droid keyboard)
Kroy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Dan in PA
Captain
 
Dan in PA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
that's how i feel about my moto droid. *sigh* nice, but incredible is just lightning fast. too bad no keyboard (though i don't really like the moto droid keyboard)




Rooted? Overclocked? I'm running at 1GHz.
__________________
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i|DCT|M-Sport|iDrive|Premium Sound|Heated Seats|Comfort Access|PDC|Deep Sea Blue|Cream
[At the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel since 8/17/12]
Dan in PA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
silvergray545
Skittles
 
silvergray545's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Rooted? Overclocked? I'm running at 1GHz.
Neither. Snapdragon processor.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
silvergray545 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
Dan in PA
Captain
 
Dan in PA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Neither. Snapdragon processor.




I meant his Droid..
__________________
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i|DCT|M-Sport|iDrive|Premium Sound|Heated Seats|Comfort Access|PDC|Deep Sea Blue|Cream
[At the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel since 8/17/12]
Dan in PA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #22
SpacE82
Major
 
SpacE82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,311
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I think I'm gonna limp by until I see if Motorola announces any new releases.

I have the Storm 1. They won't replace it now because the manufacture's warranty is expired. It expired in March. Such BS. I hate this phone.
yeah, the storm is crap. I had to bring mine back the day I got it, should have been a sign...although, its nice to know that there are websites that will buy that piece of crap for between $50-$100 depending on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
Don't have an android but read this today...

Watch Your TV on Your Android Phone

SlingPlayer Mobile for Android -- it's just about ready and we think it's awesome. Our newest app delivers a superb mobile TV experience. It features great looking picture quality, a sleek new interface and quick startup and control response. Fantastic Android phones are available on all major wireless carriers worldwide.
When does it come out? I just did a search in the market and nothing came up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
that's how i feel about my moto droid. *sigh* nice, but incredible is just lightning fast. too bad no keyboard (though i don't really like the moto droid keyboard)
Not having a keyboard doesnt really bother me since I didnt have one with my Storm. I would gladly trade the keyboard for the 1ghz Snapdragon Processor
SpacE82 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST