BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
HotSoss
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 LeMans Blue

Fabric under front bumper?

Okay, so I have had my new M3 home from Euro delivery for 3 days now, and I'm finally actually learning a bit more about this thing. I'll admit I haven't been into cars my whole life like some of you might have been, so my questions here might seem a bit ridiculous to some here! Anyways... I let a friend take the wheel this afternoon, and besides stalling the 6MT a few times (a bit rusty I guess) he took the car pretty fast over some pretty bumpy railroad tracks during his "test drive". As a passenger I didn't hear anything too loud in the car body, but after he went home I looked under the front bumper and noticed what seems to be black structures covered in a sort of fabric liner on both sides (I feel like an idiot here not even knowing what to call them). There is a bit of it ripped on one side, hanging down- maybe 4 square inches. It might have been that way all along, but I'm wondering if that might indicate that the front end hit pretty hard over the tracks. Is there anything else I should check? Or does the lack of any body damage suggest that everything is okay? The car drives fine, and everything else seems okay.
HotSoss is offline   United_States
      08-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
TTBear
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 LP560-4, '06 Z4M, '12 X6M

It's fine. Those felt covered things are designed to take abuse.

See this diagram:

They are called "engine compartment shield tips, and they are actually held up with Bowden cables on both sides - spring loaded, so they can take a hit, and return to their normal positions.

One of mine is also torn a little bit - doesn't affect functionality at all, but it bothered me enough such that I ordered replacements from Tischer (who, by the way, is not shipping to Canada again!!! )

2009 DCT M3 in Azurite - gone, but not forgotten....
TTBear is online now   Canada
      08-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
HotSoss
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 LeMans Blue

TTBear- thank you for such a thorough and helpful response! I won't worry about it too much then. For a clean look could I just trim the excess felt? It does leave me wondering why they'd cover those engine compartment shield tips in felt. In my memory other cars have a plastic-covered area down there.
HotSoss is offline   United_States
      08-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Those pieces have an aerodynamic purpose, but most importantly, the middle piece deflects hot air from the oil cooler to the bottom of the car, away from the engine compartment (take a look under your car). Their other purpose is to secure the bottom of the bumper. They're not there to protect anything, as any hit with a parking stop or such would easily break them. They'd just let you know you hit something .

Bottom line, if they're damaged, just replace them; they're pretty cheap, especially the corner ones. And no, they don't clear regular parking stops, so always watch your distance. That's probably what happened to your car, not the railroad tracks. Good luck.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      08-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
M3Fool
Loves FFDP

Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Mine are damaged too....... nailed someones skid plate that was laying on the autobahn. Was highly upset.....because I had the car for 28 minutes when it happened.

Last edited by M3Fool; 08-06-2010 at 06:31 AM.
M3Fool is offline   Germany
      08-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
starkraven
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 M3 E90 6MT - Jet Black

Which part number (or numbers) are we talking about up there?
      08-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
ep99
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 X6M

i think its number 23

try this http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...oor_panelling/

And most of us scrap that piece at some point or another...make sure you have EDC set to sport mode when going through bump or steep incline.
ep99 is offline   Canada