BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Evolve Automotive

03-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Foozed
Private

Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Installed camber plates, and want to fix the height it added

I love a lowered car as much as the next guy but after having so many previous cars with harsh rides, bounce and general handling issues I was complacent leaving my zcp e92 with stock suspension. The edc is awesome!
I've done the bpm tune, as well as test pipes and am quite happy with the power.
I did recently add the Vorschlag camber plates to get my front to -2.5 so my 18 track wheels with NT 01s behave a little better and to my surprise I am not happy with the front appearance of the car.
I think the gap in the front is more noticeable because the top of eh wheel is now further inside the wheel well as a result of the top side induced camber. But I also think the plates introduced a little height - perhaps as much as 1/4 inch.
Either way, I want to eliminate the gap and maintain handling and balance.
I'm fine with the rear look so I don't want / need to lower the rear unless I have to in order to maintain proper handling if I lower the front.
What I'm getting at - can I just replace front springs with something that lowers 1/2" with similar spring rate and keep the rear stock or do i need to do all 4 to maintain balance?
Track performance is more important to me.
      03-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
CSBM5
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc

Vorshlag makes the claim that their plates are "Designed specifically to match the factory strut height, these do not alter ride height!" I think there is a thread somewhere on the board here with great details from them. The main question is whether the stack height is different from stock. Did you make careful measurements, wheel center to fender lip, before and after? You have to make these measurements at the same camber settings for an accurate comparison.

I've not added camber plates on my M3, but your story rings true on my M5... Many years ago I bought Ground Control plates with them claiming "identical ride height" to the stock upper hat/mount. I put them on with stock springs, and they added between 1/4" and 3/8" to the ride height. I hated the outcome so I ended up buying Dinan springs/Konis for that car, and it's been perfect ever since.

Regards,
Chuck
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
      03-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
valen
Private

Drives: 2009 SG E92 M3

Send a message via Skype™ to valen
If you only lower the front you'll alter the rake of the car considerably and will likely be unsatisfied with the handling. You should get springs that lower the car equally to maintain balance.
valen is offline   United_States
      04-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
rich22

Drives: Jerez M3 (coming soon)

When you installed the camber plates, did you remove the washer that sits between the stock plates and the lip of the strut shaft?
I did not remove this washer the first time I put the camber plates on, and it adds about 1/4-1/2 to ride height if you do not leave it off during installation.
Once I removed that washer, the ride height was spot on.

Rich
      04-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F10 M5

One potential solution is a KW sleeve kit- the springs included are compatible with OE spring camber plates like Vorshlag's, and the adjustable collars allow you to set the height wherever you'd like, enabling you to keep the car at near factory height front and rear if that's what you're looking for.