BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #23
Alex@Alpine
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Alex@Alpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
If you're familiar with Volk/Advan/BBS, then don't downgrade to these ADV1 or DPE.
Sure they are decent rims but do you have a decent car?

Put what belongs, dont cheap out and be all show and no go. Volks/BBS or go home.

btw, LMB is banned, prob cuz he revealed the truth about the Miami wheel company that comes out every 3 weeks.

Other then BBS, I do not consider Volk/Advan any higher then DPE.

DPE Wheels are up there both with price, and quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
DPE and Adv use the same wheel manufacture in OC california.
That is very wrong, not at all!

ADV1 and DPE both build their wheels at separate locations and are not affiliated at all, both companies are great companies.

DPE has a long standing and has been around for many years (7+)

Many people think the wheels looking alike means they are related, but that is not the case here.

How many different ways can you make a 5 spok, 6, 7, 10, and so on...

In the many years DPE has been in business there has been little to no complaints about their products at all.

I have myself owned over 7 sets of DPE wheels, and my wife has a 335 coupe on 20" DPE S5s for the past 4 years slammed without a single bend. That alone means a lot to me. I have never had a crack, leak, or bend on any of my wheels, and I am sure some DPE wheel owners can chime in.

They keep you updated step by step on your build, and customize any wheel to your style. I promise you, you will be very happy with DPE. Let us at Alpine know if we can help!

DPE is has been here, and will be here for a very long time.
      05-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #24
Prit@Euro Autowerx
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post

ADV1 and DPE both build their wheels at separate locations and are not affiliated at all, both companies are great companies.

DPE has a long standing and has been around for many years (7+)

Many people think the wheels looking alike means they are related, but that is not the case here.

How many different ways can you make a 5 spok, 6, 7, 10, and so on...

In the many years DPE has been in business there has been little to no complaints about their products at all.

I have myself owned over 7 sets of DPE wheels, and my wife has a 335 coupe on 20" DPE S5s for the past 4 years slammed without a single bend. That alone means a lot to me. I have never had a crack, leak, or bend on any of my wheels, and I am sure some DPE wheel owners can chime in.

They keep you updated step by step on your build, and customize any wheel to your style. I promise you, you will be very happy with DPE. Let us at Alpine know if we can help!

DPE is has been here, and will be here for a very long time.
I would have to respectfully agree with Alex here, BBS/ADVAN/VOLK are very popular however, by no means is one better than another, DPE offers entry level forged wheels to extreme high performance programs. Alex is spot on with quality and service that DPE offers.
      05-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #25
Alex@Alpine
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Alex@Alpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prit@Euro Autowerx View Post
I would have to respectfully agree with Alex here, BBS/ADVAN/VOLK are very popular however, by no means is one better than another, DPE offers entry level forged wheels to extreme high performance programs. Alex is spot on with quality and service that DPE offers.
Thank you very much
      05-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #26
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General

Quote:

That is not entirely true.

Some of the DPE wheels are built at the same facility.

I have pictures of them laying next to each other at the factory

Quality is the same. What makes them different is design and service you/vendors receive from the companies.

Last edited by wheeladdicts; 05-26-2010 at 10:03 PM.
wheeladdicts is offline   United_States
      05-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #27
305M3
305M3

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Very well put.

But unfortunately the point which needs to be driven home is the one most often overlooked, "...the brands that you know from your previous experience are a good bet as they have long term industry & user reputations...". Keep in mind that this applies to both the wheel manufacturers as well as the reseller/dealer/distributor/scam artist (fill in the blanks _ _ _ _ _ _) etc. It's through your past experiences as well as those of others, whether good or bad, which will allow you to make a well informed and educated decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Who knows which wheel is better? I sure don't. I haven't seen any test results or certification information on either the DPE or ADV1 wheels. Fortunately there is quite a bit of information on this site to help you make an informed choice about which wheels to choose depending on your needs.

The following is Lemans Blue M comparing Dinan and other Taneisha manufactured wheels to HRE. He addresses multi-piece "boutique" wheels at the end of the posting. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=14

This one is a sticky thread in this forum which reviews the various wheel manufacturing methods and the benefits and downsides of each method: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357430

This is another sticky thread in this forum. It covers wheel performance standards: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353224

As others have said, the brands that you know from your previous experience are a good bet as they have long term industry & user reputations, and they certify that they meet the various industry standards. In addition, if you look around this forum, you will find references to other wheels such as Apex, Alufelgen, and CCW that are building solid reputations with the people on this site. If weight, quality, durability, and fitment are you primary objectives, it's my belief that you can't beat the RAC RG63.
      05-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #28
sparkyg
Brigadier General

Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi

I bought a set of Neez through WheelSto and I am extremely happy with them.

The are made in Japan hence prob the higher $$ factor and some profit taking.

GL OP with your purchase.
sparkyg is offline   Canada
      05-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #29
calintexas
Major

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Your Wheels Are Among the Best Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I bought a set of Neez through WheelSto and I am extremely happy with them.

The are made in Japan hence prob the higher $$ factor and some profit taking.

GL OP with your purchase.
Neez are forged by Taneisha. Follow the first link in post #14 in this thread and be pleased.
      05-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #30
FruitCake
Banned

Drives: '10 E92 M3

vendors are such liars nowadays.
FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
      05-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
FruitCake
Banned

People don't understand what goes into making a wheel. Why the RG63s for example, thats built by Champion, are the way they are because they are built to high quality standards. People think they just put "forge" and fancy words like "T6 aerospace grade" etc. that they are just as good as BBS/Volk etc.
They fail to forget what makes a wheel good is the process they use etc.

I won't get into all that but if LMB were here, he would have the vendors have a dick in their mouth and a dildo up their ass. Its why he's not allowed to post, cuz its hurting the vendor's precious business to rip people off with their china wheels that they cut here in the US and called US made. Its hilarious. I know the actual manufacture who makes them, and they are in China and Taiwan. They tell me all the time how all these new companys like DPE pop up offering 'BALLIN' rims etc. If you look at all the pictures, the rims are shipped in from another location. There is no forging machinery or anything close to that, I can spot one a mile away because my family is in the business. They will probably say that they have another location off site etc. etc. Truth is, they come from China.
I'll keep my LMs and TE's, thank you.

Last edited by FruitCake; 05-25-2010 at 03:02 PM.
      05-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #32
FruitCake
Banned

What I've been saying since 2006 when people actually thought HRE/iForge/DPE were good wheels:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Hmm...

It seems there are quite a few misconceptions about how aftermarket wheels are made, so I'll try to clarify the process for everyone...

DINAN monoblock wheels are 8000 TON forged in Japan by TANEISHA.

Taneisha is a premier forged wheel manufacturing plant. They have been building forged wheels for 30 years, and their excellent reputation within the industry is well documented. They also produce the NEEZ, CHAMPION, OZ RACING, and RAC MONOLITES brands. They also build Forged Aluminum and Forged Magnesium race wheels for a number of auto racing series around the world. ALMS (American LeMans series), WRC (world rally car), WTC (world touring car), IRL (Indy Racing League) and F1 (Formula One) just to name a few.

The Dinan wheels are built in a streamline 'turn key' process, where the factory does everything from start to finish. (forging, milling, powdercoating, packaging and shipping) There are no third-party companies involved in the overall manufacturing process. Everything is done in-house.

HRE monoblock wheels are built in three different phases. Two of the three phases are outsourced to other companies.

The 4000 TON forged blanks (that HRE uses) are sourced from their third-party supplier. (APP)

APP manufactures forged blanks for several different wheel brands.

The forged blanks are then milled to the proper wheel design (with the custom offset they choose) on HRE's in-house HAAS 5-axis CNC machines.

Once the wheel design has been 'cut', the wheels are then sent to their third-party coating facility. The powder coated finish (that was selected by the customer) is applied and baked.

The newly powdercoated wheels are sent back to HRE for final inspection, and the wheels are then boxed up and shipped out to the customer.

So as you can see...neither company actually 'builds their own wheels' per sey. (without a lot of outside help) It's difficult to explain to the average wheel buyer how expensive it would be to actually build a fully operational wheel manufacturing plant.

Rough estimate? You are talking about 40-50 million bucks in todays dollars. (property+machinery)

So it's much easier (and a lot more practical), to just outsource this type of manufacturing to someone that already has that capability. (and experience)

The ugly truth is...virtually every aftermarket wheel you can buy, is made by only a handful of companies. The cost of doing it any other way is staggering. (even for someone like HRE)

Only a few brands actually own the factory itself, the necessary high-tonnage forging presses, the custom built tooling dies (to make forging blanks), the CNC lathes, drilling, milling, and polishing machines (to create a particular design), the chemical treatment tanks (to prevent corrosion), the surface media blasting machines (to make the surface perfectly smooth), the surface powder coating and painting lines, the huge commercial heating ovens (to bake the paint or powedercoated finishes), all the in-house design and engineering resources (FEA), the JWL/VIA certified lab testing facilities, the QA/QC resources for inspecting the finished products, the in-house packing and shipping resources, etc., etc, etc...

That's a lot for ONE wheel company to pull off (alone), without using any outside resources. Just about every brand uses at least one (or more) third-party resource(s) to build their aftermarket wheel products. In a large number of the cases, the entire wheel manufacturing process is done by an outside source. (or multiple sources working together)

Now there is nothing wrong with doing that...if you choose your wheel manufacturing partners wisely. If not, tracking down an 'issue' (that may arise later on), could be problematic. Since the product passes through several different hands, it may take some time to isolate where the problem originated.

This is the primary reason why some multi-piece modular wheel brands cannot correct a customer service issue involving poor fitment or sub-standard finish issues. (within a reasonable time frame)

While the customer is waiting to get the issue resolved, the 2 or 3 different third-party contractors (hired by the wheel brand) are bickering among themselves in regards to who screwed up.

Meanwhile, the customer is totally unaware that any of this is happening behind the scenes.
      05-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #33
SIIK2NR
Captain

Drives: AW E92 M3

In my opinion if I'm not going to be tracking and just want some decent performance wheels that will enhance the car and personalize it, 80% of the wheel manufacturers will fit the bill.

The purpose of the thread was not to bash either company, but to collect some historical data on the brand reputation, customer service, quality etc.

I've experienced first hand and have read about wheels that have been poorly made yet sold at a premium price from a "reputable" company. Those companies paid the price for their poor QC and have since gone out of business.

I appreciate all the info thus far. I think it all comes down to personally preference. It's really hard to find a wheel that has all three "looks", "weight" and "durability" because looks is subjective.

I love the DPE/ADV1 concave series but am concerned about the weight and durability. Durability seem to have been confirmed that there are no blatant quality issues, so I have to swallow the fact that they would weight more. Something I'm not ready to do yet just for looks.

Most likely I will go with the Advan because they have the wheel that comes the closest in all three catagories for me.
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
SIIK2NR is offline   South Korea
      05-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #34
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

That's cool and you're right in that most wheels out there would be fine for regular driving, but just don't hit a curb or a big pot hole.

And there is NO WAY IN HELL I'd consider DPE anywhere close to VOLK.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      05-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #35
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
Quote:

You are VERY, VERY wrong.

Why do I not see any DPE wheels on Formula One or any other professional racing series then? In the mean time, I'm seeing Volk in ALMS as well as F1.
      05-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #36
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I think it comes down to what you want!

if you looking for more style rims , then I would go with ADV or DPE maybe even HRE. I think these rims are used for that purpose.

now if you want something that is for track use then I would go with the japanese rims. they are very tuff and lightweight. as for the usa brands I have heard CCW are pretty good. I have never used them but maybe you can look into it.

PS. I got ADV1 for myself because I felt I track the car less now. but I will most likely pick up another set of wheels for track. I might try out the CCW wheels.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
      05-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #37
Prit@Euro Autowerx
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
You are VERY, VERY wrong.

Why do I not see any DPE wheels on Formula One or any other professional racing series then? In the mean time, I'm seeing Volk in ALMS as well as F1.
BBS and Volk have been around far longer and probably have contractual obligations, building a wheel to satisfy F1 / ALMS can be done with other forged wheel companies, but probably requires lengthy connections with F1 teams etc...

Examples:

It's like trying to get a job, you got the PHD/MBA and your a fresh grad - the skill & potential is evident, but connecting with the right employer is tough.. Nothing is impossible, things just take time.

As an engineer, with years of experience in material testing etc. Companies such as lafarge are preferred for high strength concrete (around my city) as they have been in business for FAR longer then most. However, this does not mean another company such as Burnco can't achieve the same result (underdog). Lets just say BBS is the equivalent to Lafarge, but in the engineering materials industry (construction) LOL

This example can be related to TCKline racing, if TCK tried to become a suspension manufacture for large auto companies in Europe such as connecting with BMW or Mercedes-Benz it will be SUPER tough. We know they have the skill set and knowledge to offer great suspension/chassis solutions, but since they have been dealing with SACHS for periods of time it's tough to break doors.

We can all disagree respectfully in this thread.

Last edited by Prit@Euro Autowerx; 05-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.
      05-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #38
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

My BIG issue with ADV is who own's it. Same jack ass that owned the orignal 360 Forged that was a great up and comming fashion wheel company that was piss poorly manage and resulted in many members here, 6-Speed and some Vette forums getting completely ripped off. 6-Speed has banned them and any VENDERS from advertising their crap. kudo's to them for standing up for their members.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would buy anything that would benefit someone who openly rips people off, particularly BMW people.

Are DPE wheels 8,000 TON forged?
Do they control the entire entire manufacturing process?

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Armx02_R7Y0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Armx02_R7Y0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      05-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #39
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prit@Euro Autowerx View Post
BBS and Volk have been around far longer and probably have contractual obligations, building a wheel to satisfy F1 / ALMS can be done with other forged wheel companies, but probably requires lengthy connections with F1 teams etc...

Examples:

It's like trying to get a job, you got the PHD/MBA and your a fresh grad - the skill & potential is evident, but connecting with the right employer is tough.. Nothing is impossible, things just take time.

As an engineer, with years of experience in material testing etc. Companies such as lafarge are preferred for high strength concrete (around my city) as they have been in business for FAR longer then most. However, this does not mean another company such as Burnco can't achieve the same result (underdog). Lets just say BBS is the equivalent to Lafarge, but in the engineering materials industry (construction) LOL

This example can be related to TCKline racing, if TCK tried to become a suspension manufacture for large auto companies in Europe such as connecting with BMW or Mercedes-Benz it will be SUPER tough. We know they have the skill set and knowledge to offer great suspension/chassis solutions, but since they have been dealing with SACHS for periods of time it's tough to break doors.

We can all disagree respectfully in this thread.
So, do they have their own forge press to make the blanks? Do they even know where their blanks come from? Where is their CNC machine? How much do they even do in-house? Comparing Volk / Taneisha / BBS to DPE / HRE and the like is just ludicrous
      05-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #40
Prit@Euro Autowerx
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
So, do they have their own forge press to make the blanks? Do they even know where their blanks come from? Where is their CNC machine? How much do they even do in-house? Comparing Volk / Taneisha / BBS to DPE / HRE and the like is just ludicrous

Thanks for asking that question, from what I understand the forged blanks are produced from a manufacture in the states ( im not sure who manufactures the blanks,possibly APP). Machining is all done in house...along with research and development so you know your not getting something that was "JUST' put together.

I guess we can agree that the material, is supplied from an aluminium manufacture then sent out to wheel companies for machining/finishing. Now where this gets interesting is the engineering aspect of the wheels, I do know for a fact programs such as solidworks are used to design the wheels - this goes for companies like HRE aswell.

Tuv and jwl are far stricter than DOT which we have in North America - im sure if 8000 ton forgings were required here. Aluminum manufactures would have this readily available for U.S. wheel companies.

I applause Rays/Volk for having a facility that presses a load of 8000 tonnes of load on a black, this is possibly why F1 teams /ALMS go toward these forging strengths as the dynamic loading at 250mph may require a stronger wheel for safety

However, I guess it all comes down to what you want in a wheel, style / engineering / function. I personally am not fan of the basic VOLK/RAY styles but have a mad respect for the work involved to create their wheel. On the other hand RAC has a gorgeous wheel!

Another example let's take a look at the Audi R8. The Aluminum for body panels is supplied from a U.S aluminium manufacture, then shipped to Audi's manufacture plant for hydro forming. Does this make Audi a less superior option than the competition just because they don't manufacture their aluminum in house? I wouldn't think so.

A company like HRE or DPE can call and place a large order of 8000 ton forgings tomorrow to satisfy the demand. However is it needed for the street or yet a street car that tracks? The research and development went into each design clearly is evident that you will not see a difference on the street with either forging.

This example can be related to so many items, Texas instruments does not make their motherboards in house - does this make them less?

I guess there is really no end to this thread as people will always choose different manufactures for their reasons which is great!

Last edited by Prit@Euro Autowerx; 05-25-2010 at 11:38 PM.
      05-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #41
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General

I made a thread describing the construction of the ADV.1 line but it seems I closed it awhile back.

The wheels are 6000 ton rotary forged.

Most USA made forgings are 6000 ton rotary forged as this company is one of the largest suppliers in the USA.
wheeladdicts is offline   United_States
      05-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #42
FStop7
I like cars

Drives: M6

Quote:

Oh please, spare us.
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
      05-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #43
calintexas
Major

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Here's a description and a video showing rotary forging: http://www.dennusametalforming.com/r...ry_forging.htm.

I don't agree that wheels used on the street don't need to be as good as track wheels. The street is a very dangerous place from huge potholes to curbs to discarded objects. I want a wheel that is tested and certified to meet the toughest common standards. Before I buy, I want to know how the wheel is made, what the material is, what standards it's certified to meet, the weight, the offset, the finish type (powder coated, painted, or other). Amazingly, it's difficult to find this information on many wheel company's sites. It almost seems like the better the pictures of the wheels and the slicker the site, the less real information is available.
      05-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #44
Prit@Euro Autowerx
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Here's a description and a video showing rotary forging: http://www.dennusametalforming.com/r...ry_forging.htm.

I don't agree that wheels used on the street don't need to be as good as track wheels. The street is a very dangerous place from huge potholes to curbs to discarded objects. I want a wheel that is tested and certified to meet the toughest common standards. Before I buy, I want to know how the wheel is made, what the material is, what standards it's certified to meet, the weight, the offset, the finish type (powder coated, painted, or other). Amazingly, it's difficult to find this information on many wheel company's sites. It almost seems like the better the pictures of the wheels and the slicker the site, the less real information is available.

Right, I agree and everyone has a right to choose what brand/manufacturing process etc. However when your exceeding DOT standards here in North America on road wheels, there is not much to worry about (especially with a monobloc). Tuv and jwl are far stricter than dot, so producing their 8K forgings is almost required. I might have to add this for the fan boys, from a material science stand point, HRE/DPE mono's are designed for performance and their forgings will put up to aggressive loading as they exceed DOT.

At the end of the day, I always encourage people to do their research but again there are alot of people that will read a few forum threads and think they have a Phd in structural engineering and begin bashing companies.

Last edited by Prit@Euro Autowerx; 05-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.