BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #45
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,765
iTrader: (0)

Yea that was another great day with WAY too much tracktime!No real incidents and only 1 car being towed home that did not arrive by trailer in the morning!It is really good to see people improving every session and really starting to get hooked on this trackday stuff
I am sure that there will be a great video of Jay & the TT911 & myself having some fun and Jays video of himself shot from my my car.That was way too much fun to be involved in
Our next 2 events are July 9th & July 23 which are both Fridays.It looks like the July 23 will be a Charity event but there will be a proper announcement on that later.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #46
shagkie
Captain
 
shagkie's Avatar
 
Drives: a....V8
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GTA, Canada

Posts: 628
iTrader: (0)

Just wondering, do you need special track setup to do these things or is street tires good enough? Do you need new brakes and tires after a track session?
shagkie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #47
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
Just wondering, do you need special track setup to do these things or is street tires good enough? Do you need new brakes and tires after a track session?
You definitely do not need a special track setup. The majority of people come to these days completely stock with their street wheels and tires. You should definitely come and check one out. Quite a few guys from the board participate. Days are run very well and there is no shortage of track time!

Yesterday was a blast! Looking forward to seeing the vids. I will sift through mine and see if I can get it posted tonight!

Duncan, Rob - thanks again for organizing and looking forward to the next one! Hopefully Steve will get his car fixed right away. (I am pretty sure Ron is hooked!)
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #48
AMOCHOSTO
Major
 
AMOCHOSTO's Avatar
 
Drives: IB BB E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto.

Posts: 1,007
iTrader: (0)

I'm sad to have missed it! At least I've been told Toronto BMW has sourced a new transmission for me and expect to have it installed by Thursday.

What happened to the car that got towed?

I think I'd like to come to the July 23rd event, I'm going to be in Portugal for the July 9th event.

Duncan, do you have any advice of what to do about breaking in the new transmission before tracking it? I assume a fluid change is the absolute minimum?
__________________
E90 Interlagos Blue, (Winter Beater) Bamboo Beige, M-Drive, EDC, PDC, USB 6MT.
Mods to date; Curb rash, Scraped front spoiler, Installed RAC Monolite RG63 Silver
1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe (ROW)

AMOCHOSTO is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #49
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
I'm sad to have missed it! At least I've been told Toronto BMW has sourced a new transmission for me and expect to have it installed by Thursday.

What happened to the car that got towed?

I think I'd like to come to the July 23rd event, I'm going to be in Portugal for the July 9th event.

Duncan, do you have any advice of what to do about breaking in the new transmission before tracking it? I assume a fluid change is the absolute minimum?
No different than a new car.Just make sure it is fully warmed up before you run it hard and it will be fine.Yes I would change the fluid & filter.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #50
col.faith
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: bmw e92 m3 edition AW
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

That was a lot of fun. Thanks Duncan. Looking forward to the next event.

Noah
col.faith is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #51
AMOCHOSTO
Major
 
AMOCHOSTO's Avatar
 
Drives: IB BB E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto.

Posts: 1,007
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
No different than a new car.Just make sure it is fully warmed up before you run it hard and it will be fine.Yes I would change the fluid & filter.
thanks Duncan.
__________________
E90 Interlagos Blue, (Winter Beater) Bamboo Beige, M-Drive, EDC, PDC, USB 6MT.
Mods to date; Curb rash, Scraped front spoiler, Installed RAC Monolite RG63 Silver
1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe (ROW)

AMOCHOSTO is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #52
FBTO
M3 Destroyer!!
 
FBTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 MB C63, 02 CBR954, 05 CR125
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to FBTO
Steve get his car fixed? What happened?
FBTO is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #53
FBTO
M3 Destroyer!!
 
FBTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 MB C63, 02 CBR954, 05 CR125
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to FBTO
Duncan, are you doing any big track days?
FBTO is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #54
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBTO View Post
Duncan, are you doing any big track days?
No.We intend to keep using the DDT for our days as it is a much better venue for teaching people how to drive properly & utilize the capabilities of their cars.Unfortunatly the big track only teaches people how to go fast,not how to drive at the limit of the car.

If we did do a day at the GP track it would only be for experianced people & racers.When you make a mistake at that track,you can pay a big price for that.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #55
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (7)

Here is a vid of Gearhead and I having a bit of fun on the track......(still being processed right now so quality is still a little off)

Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #56
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,765
iTrader: (0)

Great Video!I had a heck of a lot of fun doing that yesterday!Thanks

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 06-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #57
FBTO
M3 Destroyer!!
 
FBTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 MB C63, 02 CBR954, 05 CR125
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to FBTO
Nothing there?
FBTO is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #58
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Great Video!I had a heck of a lot of fun doing that yesterday!Thanks
Yeah that was a blast! Looking forward to the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBTO View Post
Nothing there?
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #59
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (7)

Here's another of Gearhead

Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #60
revmmm
Captain
 
revmmm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 835
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Pics

And here are some pics from yesterday
Attached Images
                
__________________


2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
revmmm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #61
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (7)

Nice Pics!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #62
revmmm
Captain
 
revmmm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 835
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Nice Pics!
I have a lot from the day. I will burn them to a disc for you if you are interested.
__________________


2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
revmmm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #63
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmmm View Post
I have a lot from the day. I will burn them to a disc for you if you are interested.
That would be great - thanks!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #64
MaxL
Captain
 
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 949
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
The majority of people come to these days completely stock with their street wheels and tires. You should definitely come and check one out.
To be fair, I was in one of only two M3s on street tires this time (unless you consider NT5s street tires, which may be a valid point of view), and I would not recommend doing that more than 2-3 times a year. I am not very aggressive or fast, but the stock tires started really disintegrating once they heated up. Doing shorter sessions seemed to help, but it seems that the main thing that is killing PS2s is heat - I got only half as much wear last time, when it was much colder.

But I can say that the fun was well worth turning my tires into chewed-up sponges and embarrassing myself on the first run when I could not remember the track layout and got lost a few times .

For those considering - I see no reasons not to do it. M3 is plenty capable even in the stock form and on street tires, and with fewer cars on the track than on most other events, it is a safe environment to learn and have fun. Highly recommended!
MaxL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #65
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
To be fair, I was in one of only two M3s on street tires this time (unless you consider NT5s street tires, which may be a valid point of view), and I would not recommend doing that more than 2-3 times a year. I am not very aggressive or fast, but the stock tires started really disintegrating once they heated up. Doing shorter sessions seemed to help, but it seems that the main thing that is killing PS2s is heat - I got only half as much wear last time, when it was much colder.

But I can say that the fun was well worth turning my tires into chewed-up sponges and embarrassing myself on the first run when I could not remember the track layout and got lost a few times .

For those considering - I see no reasons not to do it. M3 is plenty capable even in the stock form and on street tires, and with fewer cars on the track than on most other events, it is a safe environment to learn and have fun. Highly recommended!
Actually everybody was on street tires,which might be pushing the boundaries a bitThere are are getting be some very good choices in a street/trackday tire for our cars.The RA1's like I run are really a track tire only,but the Bridgestone RE011,Dunlop Star Spec & the Nitto NT05 are all very good choices that work very well on the track.The PS2's are not really that bad as lots of people have run them on M3's with no great problems and they are also very good in the wet.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #66
ZWEAPON
Captain
 
Drives: 540 RWHP
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: K/W

Posts: 816
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You definitely do not need a special track setup. The majority of people come to these days completely stock with their street wheels and tires. You should definitely come and check one out. Quite a few guys from the board participate. Days are run very well and there is no shortage of track time!

Yesterday was a blast! Looking forward to seeing the vids. I will sift through mine and see if I can get it posted tonight!

Duncan, Rob - thanks again for organizing and looking forward to the next one! Hopefully Steve will get his car fixed right away. (I am pretty sure Ron is hooked!)
All fixed UP....
ZWEAPON is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST