BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #111
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S. FLA

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan604 View Post
I'd pick panerai, you can't bring the BBK along with you, it's stuck to your car.

Having a good watch on your wrist shows character and class. There's a local dealership where 80% of the salesman wore panerai.

I've been wasting my life reading this thread (yes, my fault) and biting my tongue until this comment. Taken in isolation it probably wouldn't have been so offensive but after the five pages of nonsense it was just too much (so no offense to the poster).

But... THIS IS RIDICULOUS! It may be a high end collectors piece, it may hold its value, it may get the job done in a more mechanically elaborate and internally beautiful way, and it may be a status symbol (if you're a douche bag). If you're in to the first three then great! It's not a socialist country yet, do what you like!

But don't say its any more functional than my iphone at telling time, AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T SAY IT SUGGESTS YOU HAVE CHARACTER OR CLASS!!!!! Hitler probably wore an overly expensive rare watch...

Live your life in a way that gets you compliments. There are literally an infinite number of things you could do with that $1,10,100k that would "show character and class" buying this watch does not.

Last edited by mfeltiii; 05-19-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: further tongue biting
mfeltiii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #112
Simon@RENNSpec
 
Simon@RENNSpec's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Hong Kong

Posts: 981
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to Simon@RENNSpec Send a message via MSN to Simon@RENNSpec
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
PM sent
Simon@RENNSpec is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #113
Simon@RENNSpec
 
Simon@RENNSpec's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Hong Kong

Posts: 981
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to Simon@RENNSpec Send a message via MSN to Simon@RENNSpec
Pic of my old 232 radiomir

Simon@RENNSpec is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #114
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Nate@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 10,170
iTrader: (19)

Nice watch Simon
__________________
Nate@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #115
gixxer_kidd
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@RENNSpec View Post
Is that PVD coated? I like the finish.
gixxer_kidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #116
SpencerM3
Sauce
 
SpencerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
I've been wasting my life reading this thread (yes, my fault) and biting my tongue until this comment. Taken in isolation it probably wouldn't have been so offensive but after the five pages of nonsense it was just too much (so no offense to the poster).

But... THIS IS RIDICULOUS! It may be a high end collectors piece, it may hold its value, it may get the job done in a more mechanically elaborate and internally beautiful way, and it may be a status symbol (if you're a douche bag). If you're in to the first three then great! It's not a socialist country yet, do what you like!

But don't say its any more functional than my iphone at telling time, AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T SAY IT SUGGESTS YOU HAVE CHARACTER OR CLASS!!!!! Hitler probably wore an overly expensive rare watch...

Live your life in a way that gets you compliments. There are literally an infinite number of things you could do with that $1,10,100k that would "show character and class" buying this watch does not.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
SpencerM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #117
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

Hitler also wore pants and loved Mercedes Benz

Therefore no pants are classy and neither are any Benzes

Your logic is impeccable
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #118
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S. FLA

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan604 View Post
I'd pick panerai, you can't bring the BBK along with you, it's stuck to your car.

Having a good watch on your wrist shows character and class. There's a local dealership where 80% of the salesman wore panerai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Hitler also wore pants and loved Mercedes Benz

Therefore no pants are classy and neither are any Benzes

Your logic is impeccable
WRONG! YOUR logic is inexcusably flawed.

"having a good watch on your wrist shows character and class"
This statement says without equivocation that A = B

Your argument is that because he said A=B and I pointed it out as not universally true (and also unrelated) that I therefore said that B can never = A. IE anyone who wears a nice watch can't be classy because I said wearing a nice watch doesn't make you classy.

A very basic error in logic. This is taught in high school btw.

This is just the first error in your logic, you then went on to shift the noun the adjective classy was describing from the person wearing the watch to the watch itself "no pants can be classy" If you would have made only the first error, you would have said; nobody who wears pants can be classy.

It was also not lost on anyone that you chose to ignore the more offensive word of character (moral excellence and firmness:websters) from your reply as this would have been harder to defend (incorectly as you may have done it)

Its one thing to think you know what you're talking about and be embarrassingly wrong, its another to attack with ignorance and do it in a santimonious way.:
mfeltiii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #119
Simon@RENNSpec
 
Simon@RENNSpec's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Hong Kong

Posts: 981
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to Simon@RENNSpec Send a message via MSN to Simon@RENNSpec
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
Is that PVD coated? I like the finish.
Yes, Solid stainless steel black-PVD coated!
Simon@RENNSpec is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #120
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
WRONG! YOUR logic is inexcusably flawed.

"having a good watch on your wrist shows character and class"
This statement says without equivocation that A = B

Your argument is that because he said A=B and I pointed it out as not universally true (and also unrelated) that I therefore said that B can never = A. IE anyone who wears a nice watch can't be classy because I said wearing a nice watch doesn't make you classy.

A very basic error in logic. This is taught in high school btw.

This is just the first error in your logic, you then went on to shift the noun the adjective classy was describing from the person wearing the watch to the watch itself "no pants can be classy" If you would have made only the first error, you would have said; nobody who wears pants can be classy.

It was also not lost on anyone that you chose to ignore the more offensive word of character (moral excellence and firmness:websters) from your reply as this would have been harder to defend (incorectly as you may have done it)

Its one thing to think you know what you're talking about and be embarrassingly wrong, its another to attack with ignorance and do it in a santimonious way.:
That's great! made me lol.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #121
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 IS-F
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Keller, TX

Posts: 432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
You're right, i think most of not all do have it now. However I got my ROO back in September 2008 and at that point only a few of the LE's had it. I was on the fence about getting the 233 a year ago but passed, now I am looking at the 292 but someone earlier made an interesting call...

IWC Big Pilots Watch............
I want a Big Pilot badly, but just haven't been able to part with the money. I should have got one when the first came out because they were considerably cheaper. I do have a couple of IWCs, the 3717 Pilot's chrono and the previous generation Aquatimer with the internal rotating bezel.
Cabinetman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #122
thegeneral101
Colonel
 
Drives: '13 M3 LRE,'13 750Li
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Miami/Michigan

Posts: 2,302
iTrader: (0)

panerai hands down!
__________________
thegeneral101 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #123
Hedges
Major General
 
Hedges's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 5,181
iTrader: (8)

Panerais... because only classy smart sophisicated wear panerai watches and you need to show off to pick up the girls!



Flame suit on...
Hedges is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #124
gixxer_kidd
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@RENNSpec View Post
Yes, Solid stainless steel black-PVD coated!
Wow, def a keeper Simon. So nice!

OP, I think asking this question on a car forum will most likely receive more responses towards modding your car. If you ask the same question on paneristi, I'm sure the outcome will be very different

With that said, cars come and go and for some people they switch up their watches like they do with their cars. What I can tell you is I've gone through several sets of brembos on various cars but I still have my panerai!
gixxer_kidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #125
rubber_ducky
Lieutenant Colonel
 
rubber_ducky's Avatar
 
Drives: roach coach
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston-ish

Posts: 1,706
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
WRONG! YOUR logic is inexcusably flawed.

"having a good watch on your wrist shows character and class"
This statement says without equivocation that A = B

Your argument is that because he said A=B and I pointed it out as not universally true (and also unrelated) that I therefore said that B can never = A. IE anyone who wears a nice watch can't be classy because I said wearing a nice watch doesn't make you classy.

A very basic error in logic. This is taught in high school btw.

This is just the first error in your logic, you then went on to shift the noun the adjective classy was describing from the person wearing the watch to the watch itself "no pants can be classy" If you would have made only the first error, you would have said; nobody who wears pants can be classy.

It was also not lost on anyone that you chose to ignore the more offensive word of character (moral excellence and firmness:websters) from your reply as this would have been harder to defend (incorectly as you may have done it)

Its one thing to think you know what you're talking about and be embarrassingly wrong, its another to attack with ignorance and do it in a santimonious way.:
rubber_ducky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #126
Bob MG
Moderating
 
Bob MG's Avatar
 
Drives: like a muppet
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vienna

Posts: 1,766
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
John, how much do you reckon this watch is worth (without the blue marks)?
250k iwc portugese turbillon, I had one in platinum.
I have only IWC and panerais.
If you want a ceramic black watch, get an IWC Top Gun doppel chronograph.
One of my favourite pieces.
IWC BP is also one of my best, but the first edition face on brown buffalo strap.
Check out EBay and buy used discontinued pieces, or if you insist on new, by limited editions, like panerai regattas.

One thing I can tell you, is you can only have enough watches for the days of the week. I had 15 at one point and due to favouring some, you don't get to wear them. The BBK I use everyday! And who knows you will probably get a blower judging how you mod. Then you will need the BBKs

Last edited by Bob MG; 05-20-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Bob MG is offline   Greenland
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #127
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
 
MMMorish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
250k iwc portugese turbillon, I had one in platinum.
I have only IWC and panerais.
If you want a ceramic black watch, get an IWC Top Gun doppel chronograph.
One of my favourite pieces.
IWC BP is also one of my best, but the first edition face on brown buffalo strap.
Check out EBay and buy used discontinued pieces, or if you insist on new, by limited editions, like panerai regattas.

One thing I can tell you, is you can only have enough watches for the days of the week. I had 15 at one point and due to favouring some, you don't get to wear them. The BBK I use everyday! And who knows you will probably get a blower judging how you mod. Then you will need the BBKs
Borat, if your collection includes a limited edition Aquatimer Cousteau Diver, I'd be happy to take that off your wrist.

I agree about buying used as most sites like TZ and WUS have amazing deals everyday with Panny's always on there for thousands below retail.
__________________
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #128
Bob MG
Moderating
 
Bob MG's Avatar
 
Drives: like a muppet
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vienna

Posts: 1,766
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Borat, if your collection includes a limited edition Aquatimer Cousteau Diver, I'd be happy to take that off your wrist.

I agree about buying used as most sites like TZ and WUS have amazing deals everyday with Panny's always on there for thousands below retail.
Being a Heli pilot, I favour IWC pilots watches:
big pilot
orig 2004 doppel chrono
top gun doppel chrono
portugese perpetual calendar rose gold
portugese 7 day

Panerai I have a 2005 1/200 limited 1000m submersible on blue face and rubber strap
2002 discont submersible grey face titanuim bracelet

I have 2 Uboat 50mm flight decks I want to sell?
Bob MG is offline   Greenland
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #129
SpencerM3
Sauce
 
SpencerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
Being a Heli pilot, I favour IWC pilots watches:
big pilot
orig 2004 doppel chrono
top gun doppel chrono
portugese perpetual calendar rose gold
portugese 7 day

Panerai I have a 2005 1/200 limited 1000m submersible on blue face and rubber strap
2002 discont submersible grey face titanuim bracelet

I have 2 Uboat 50mm flight decks I want to sell?
Some solid AD’s in Kazakhstan Borat? Quite the collection you have. My tastes are always changing, even since when I first posted this thread I am leaning towards the IWC BP now. I’ve always wanted the IWC BP, but had an opportunity to get the 292 at a solid price and wanted to get back into the Panerai game and also liked the idea of a black watch. Many people made good points here about Panerai and black watches, things I have always known/acknowledged, but I figure if I have always wanted the BP then why settle? Especially since I can get the BP for like $1500 more than the 292.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
SpencerM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #130
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
 
mach330's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X5 35i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The OC

Posts: 797
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to mach330 Send a message via Yahoo to mach330
i vote for pam as well. here's my pam 90 that my wife got me on our honeymoon along with my gmt II.

__________________
Rated /// M
mach330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #131
Simon@RENNSpec
 
Simon@RENNSpec's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Hong Kong

Posts: 981
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to Simon@RENNSpec Send a message via MSN to Simon@RENNSpec
For you Spencer.....



Simon@RENNSpec is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #132
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
 
FredVMI's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 273
iTrader: (1)

This thread has run it's course and has evolved into nothing more than a flame fest. At this point, the forum is probably of little value in helping with the OP's buying decision. Perhaps a moderator should close this thread...
__________________
New: /// E92 M3 /// Interlagos / Novillo / Carbon /// DCT /// Tech Pkg /// Prem Pkg /// Premium Sound /// 19” Wheels /// Heated Seats /// iPod / USB /// PDC /// Sat Radio

Mods: /// Modular Concept 01’s /// Meisterschaft Exhaust / Aero Shield / Carbon Tips /// Smoked Tails /// Matte Black Grills ///
FredVMI is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST