BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #133
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,157
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
e92 M3 V FEngineering S/C Project - LCI Taillight Upgrade

Here's some install shot of the VF Engineering Fighter Pilot M3 getting the LCI treatment:



























__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #134
WCH
Major
 
WCH's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 SSII; '14 F10 M5 SG
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,105
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2014 Cayenne GTS  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Here are my actual european amber LCI tails sitting in the UK waiting to ship to me
Any pictures that show that amber turn signals?
__________________
WCH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #135
SCtud
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Any pictures that show that amber turn signals?
+1 to that. Curious how they look through the red housing. I think the amber LEDs were shining through a clear portion of the housing on the E46. Would coding be any different for the amber version?
SCtud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #136
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,157
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
+1 to that. Curious how they look through the red housing. I think the amber LEDs were shining through a clear portion of the housing on the E46. Would coding be any different for the amber version?
Coding wouldn't be any different - only the actual LEDs are different within the taillamp assembly.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #137
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,499
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Taillight upgrade

I received my lights yesterday, and will install them Friday. I hope to have them coded at the beginning of next week. It's turning into an expensive project with the addition of the required (for my '08) module, but I still don't regret it. I typically keep my cars until the next model cycle, and it's nice to keep it "up to date". And the LEDs do look better and work better. I don't understand why BMW regressed from the end of th E46 model run to the E92 on the lights, unless it's just so they could offer this upgrade mid-cycle. Wierd.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #138
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,256
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I don't understand why BMW regressed from the end of th E46 model run to the E92 on the lights, unless it's just so they could offer this upgrade mid-cycle. Wierd.
But I thought the E92 Pre-LCI was already LED..just an LED bar. So this "upgrade" is just a refresher still.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #139
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,157
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
But I thought the E92 Pre-LCI was already LED..just an LED bar. So this "upgrade" is just a refresher still.
The light bar is the "Celis" like design reminiscent of that of e39 5-series/M5 facelift back in 2001, with halogen blinkers and 1/2 Stage brakelights.

All lamps are LED on the LCI versions with exception the reverse lamp - which is still halogen.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #140
SCtud
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Can dealers tell if the FRM2 has been changed to FRM3? Does the Vehicle Order, build date and all that data transfer somehow to the new one?

xsboost, do you plan on buying the EAS harness? I'm hoping there are no wiring differences as I'd like to order the Euro version as well, which seems to be about $700 shipped + $89 for the EAS harness. I think I can live with the startup flicker unless it throws a code on the dash.
SCtud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #141
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,157
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
Can dealers tell if the FRM2 has been changed to FRM3? Does the Vehicle Order, build date and all that data transfer somehow to the new one?

xsboost, do you plan on buying the EAS harness? I'm hoping there are no wiring differences as I'd like to order the Euro version as well, which seems to be about $700 shipped + $89 for the EAS harness. I think I can live with the startup flicker unless it throws a code on the dash.
It wouldn't matter, you're simply replacing an old control module with a revised one. All info that was stored in the old module will be present in the new FRM3 when coded.

Bulb out errors will be present if the vehicle is not coded, the video in Post #1 shows pre and post coding behavior differences.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #142
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,499
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Model change regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The light bar is the "Celis" like design reminiscent of that of e39 5-series/M5 facelift back in 2001, with halogen blinkers and 1/2 Stage brakelights.

All lamps are LED on the LCI versions with exception the reverse lamp - which is still halogen.
BMW made a big deal on the 2003.5 lights of how the LED brake indicators react so much more quickly, then the went back to conventional incandescents. That, plus the longer life, are big advantages for the LEDs. I hope they don't "regress" on the next model change.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #143
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,499
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Light instal / old light resale?

I installed my tail and trunk lights from EAS today. It's very strightforward; a 15-20-minute jub if you've done it before, but took me about 40. The mounting nuts, BTW, are 7mm for the tails and 10mm for the trunks. I will get the coding done Tuesday. I like the looks a lot, and they seem much brighter.

Does anyone know if the old lights have any resale value, other than for crash replacement? Are the early regular E92 lights different than the M3 ones?
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 06-12-2010 at 03:12 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #144
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,007
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I installed my tail and trunk lights from EAS today. It's very strightforward; a 15-20-minute jub if you've done it before, but took me about 40. The mounting nuts, BTW, are 7mm for the tails and 10mm for the trunks. I will get the coding done Tuesday.

Does anyone know if the old lights have any resale value, other than for crash replacement? Are the early regular E92 lights different than the M3 ones?
They're the same. Just put them up for sale on e90post.com for cheap -- I'm sure they'll move.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #145
m328ci
Private First Class
 
m328ci's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i, E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangkok

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
If BulbCheck detects what it thinks is a malfunctioning bulb, it will trigger an error (BulbCheck doing its expected job) with the later builds seeming to be a bit more sensitive than earlier models from experience. I go more into detail about this in the post #1 of this thread.

ALL vehicles that have retrofitted lamps installed need coding to expect a 100% perfectly working system - I cannot be any clearer on this, this is a route most BMW electronics will be going.

As per the error messages, we reported this on e90Post back on 5/5:

Overview:
At this time, we have performed logging sessions on the following models:

2008 M3, iDrive equipped (eas project M3)
Notes: No errors, slight 1-2 second flickering upon ignition.
Build Date: 2/2008

2009 M3, iDrive equipped (reviewed above)
Build Date: 8/2009
Notes: Left brake lamp malfunction message, rapid turn signal operation, slight flickering upon ignition.

2010 M3, iDrive equipped (installed, not photo-documented)
Build Date: 10/2009
Notes: Numerous lamp malfunction messages only upon brake pedal/reverse gear combo application - messages autoclear when reverse is disengaged.
We go over the error messages discovered in this post:

link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=151


I'm sorry it wasn't in M3post, there is a very gray area on what sponsors are permitted to post outside the vendor's sections - a reason why this needs to remain a technical-only thread.
MY car
2008 M3, iDrive equipped (EURO)
Build Date: 5/2008
Notes: Left brake lamp malfunction message, rapid turn signal operation, slight flickering upon ignition.
__________________
E92 M3 -Pearl Grey/FR -ESS VT2-575, OS Giken Super LSD, Ericsson Full bodykit, BBS LM-R 20" Ericsson specs, Brembo GT 380mm F&R, KW V3, Akrapovic Evolution, BMW Performance steering wheel
m328ci is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #146
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,499
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m328ci View Post
MY car
2008 M3, iDrive equipped (EURO)
Build Date: 5/2008
Notes: Left brake lamp malfunction message, rapid turn signal operation, slight flickering upon ignition.
My car:
2008 E92 M3 w/ iDrive
Build date: 1/2008
Notes: Left brake light, left and right turn signal malfunction warnings, rapid turn signal operation. Did not observe startup.

Getting coding done on Tuesday.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 06-13-2010 at 09:20 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #147
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,157
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
My car:
2008 E92 M3 w/ iDrive
Build date: 1/2008
Notes: Left brake light, left and right turn signal malfunction warnings, rapid turn signal operation. Did not observe startup.

Getting coding done on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m328ci View Post
MY car
2008 M3, iDrive equipped (EURO)
Build Date: 5/2008
Notes: Left brake lamp malfunction message, rapid turn signal operation, slight flickering upon ignition.
Typical that of lamps without coding, some will have rapid flashing - some will not.

GregW / Oregon: Coding your new FRM3 should solve this.
m328ci: Please see if your autologic dealer can inform you with the coding index of your footwell module to determine if there are any differences between EU and US models.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #148
BobsM3Coupe
Captain
 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

Posts: 862
iTrader: (4)

I have seen plenty of the LCI tail lights which have the red LED turn signal.

Has anyone posted a photo of the LCI tail lights with the amber LED taillights?
BobsM3Coupe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #149
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,007
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I have seen plenty of the LCI tail lights which have the red LED turn signal.

Has anyone posted a photo of the LCI tail lights with the amber LED taillights?
They look exactly the same without the blinkers flashing. No one has posted video of an LCI E92 with its rear turn signals or hazards flashing that I've seen.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #150
m328ci
Private First Class
 
m328ci's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i, E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangkok

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Typical that of lamps without coding, some will have rapid flashing - some will not.

GregW / Oregon: Coding your new FRM3 should solve this.
m328ci: Please see if your autologic dealer can inform you with the coding index of your footwell module to determine if there are any differences between EU and US models.
Tom,
I replaced FRM3 all of autolgic coding for new module is done along with Rear E9x TAILLIGHTS selection performed. A lot of warning gone except Left brake lamp warning still shows.
__________________
E92 M3 -Pearl Grey/FR -ESS VT2-575, OS Giken Super LSD, Ericsson Full bodykit, BBS LM-R 20" Ericsson specs, Brembo GT 380mm F&R, KW V3, Akrapovic Evolution, BMW Performance steering wheel
m328ci is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #151
m328ci
Private First Class
 
m328ci's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i, E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangkok

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m328ci View Post
Tom,
I replaced FRM3 all of autolgic coding for new module is done along with Rear E9x TAILLIGHTS selection performed. A lot of warning gone except Left brake lamp warning still shows.
After program it for 2nd time, now it fixed
__________________
E92 M3 -Pearl Grey/FR -ESS VT2-575, OS Giken Super LSD, Ericsson Full bodykit, BBS LM-R 20" Ericsson specs, Brembo GT 380mm F&R, KW V3, Akrapovic Evolution, BMW Performance steering wheel
m328ci is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #152
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,499
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m328ci View Post
Tom,
I replaced FRM3 all of autolgic coding for new module is done along with Rear E9x TAILLIGHTS selection performed. A lot of warning gone except Left brake lamp warning still shows.
Where is the FRM3 module located - under the driver's side dash? Mine goes in for coding tomorrow. First time this shop has done it, so hoping for the best. Hope it works - I can ignore the bulb out warning, but the rapid turn signal flashing is embarassing!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 06-14-2010 at 09:19 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #153
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,157
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Where is the FRM3 module located - under the driver's side dash? Mine goes in for coding tomorrow. First time this shop has done it, so hoping for the best.
The FRM is located under the glovebox, 2 torx screws are holding on the cover.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #154
Cloud
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rowland Heights

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The light bar is the "Celis" like design reminiscent of that of e39 5-series/M5 facelift back in 2001, with halogen blinkers and 1/2 Stage brakelights.

All lamps are LED on the LCI versions with exception the reverse lamp - which is still halogen.
so if the halogen reverse lamp goes out will there be a bulb error?
Cloud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST