BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

03-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
I just installed the JL motoring lip and I've got a half inch shortfall on one side. Less than a quarter inch on the other side.

I parked next to my buddy's M3 with an actual vorsteiner front end and he too had similar length issues.

My decision was around getting an asthetic I appreciated for a price worthy of the fact that it would be destroyed or removed prior to selling the car.
JL uses the mold from an original VORS>.. i guess they have the shitty vors mold... LOL JL - VORS = fail....

JL = good price for the same fitment as VORS actually most of JL products are pretty on the spot although its a hit or miss...
VORS = way over priced with SHITTY fitment. gaps here gaps there. why pay so much if you can get a JL for half the price and same shit...

Last edited by Sean05; 03-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
montreal red
chris

Drives: White Boat

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
i am surprised that the gap is that extreme, from what i have seen on other cars with replica lips, it doesnt look too bad.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
white9duece
Private

Drives: E92 M3

WoWzerRs
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
auggiem3
Captain

Drives: e92 M3 / former e46 M3 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
i am surprised that the gap is that extreme, from what i have seen on other cars with replica lips, it doesnt look too bad.
I think the gap issue is magnified by excellent photography and the tape highlights.

Take a look at someone with an actual Vorsteiner lip and they have length shortfalls and minor gaps - the gaps look much larger here thanks to the fact that the camera is only a few inches away (take a look at that deep and wide tire tread!).

I'd imagine the length shortfall is less than 1" on either side...

When I first bought my JL lip and installed I thought, "this is what you get for spending $800 less than buying from Vorsteiner." Then I saw my buddies $1300 lip and realized he benifited from a marginally better fit (which may be soley attributable to the fact that he got his professionally installed and I was DIY).

At less than 3/16th of an inch off the real vorsteiner on each side, I'll keep my $800....especially on a part that I've already rubbed on most of the DC streets within the first month of owning it.
auggiem3 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #27
Snow M3
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe ZCT MW

OMG! That's like mine, from JL Motoring. Poor fit for sure. I still have it on but not so happy about it. I used black silicone to fill the gap just on the sides but it's still short on the ends. I have pics of before and after on the diy section. I can't post the link right now but can get it later, if interested.
Seems like fitment is an issue and there are inconsistencies even with "original" ones. This thread is old so what was the final result? Did you return it? Sorry if I missed a reply on the final result.

2011 M3 ZCT DCT MW Bamboo Mods: CF Rear Spoiler, CF Hood Vents, CF Reflectors, CF Mirrors, CF Front Lip Spoiler, CF Kidney Grilles, CF Steering Wheel Faceplate, CF eBrake Handle
Snow M3 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0